Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Big Pledge Package = p2w?

13»

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 37,004
    edited June 2018
    blamo2000 said:
    Apologies,  I get lost in the weeds sometimes.

I'll conclude by agreeing that I can't see myself ever watching someone play video games, like you I spend such time playing them instead.

Back on topic, big pledge backers make equally little sense, but people often spend money on things which are incompehensible to me.

Most modern MMORPGs today being one of them.  ;)

In this particular case I don't see the big pledge packages influencing the game much, if at all really.

Certainly nothing like the "kingship" and other royalty packages in COE or perhaps even the private islands CU sold $5K backers if I'm remembering correctly.

In the latter example I decided the better approach would be to become good "friends" with someone who bought one.

Anyone looking for a good fawning sycophant? 

;)

Post edited by Kyleran on
    blamo2000

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing FO76 at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,379
    DMKano said:
    Kyleran said:
    DMKano said:
    How can a PvE game be P2W?

So assume another player buys all his power and does all the PvE content before you do - this impacts you how exactly?

It's not like dungeons and bosses in Pantheon can only be cleared once - everything respawns, it doesn't make any difference who does it first.

Assume that someone will do it first - assume that there will be players who will play more than you, be in guilds that are stronger than yours and be better geared - is this a problem for you?

What does it matter?

For me the notion that a purely PvE focused game can somehow be "P2W" is just so silly

I know that there will be better more powerful players in Pantheon then me - how they got there is frankly none of my business as it doesn't impact me one bit.

If they bought their accounts, if they paid the devs, or they just played a lot - or whatever - what difference does it make to anyone else?

Because of some imaginary epeen "first" contest?
    Oh come on, does that question really need an answer?
    You know dam well, how it works when you can't keep up with BiS players in PVE.
    I actually don't, do they put a lien on your computer or something?   ;)

I understand needing raid gear to complete certain content,  but I rarely recall ever having a BIS item, like say an orange item back in Vanilla WOW days.
    EQ was rampant with content deniers, loot farmers, gold sellers, camp stealers and general asshattery where the power gap played a huge role in PvE griefing.  Brad is a believer in competition for resources and content and he's stated recently that he intends to do the same in Pantheon.  He did not mention any game mechanics for policing, just the failed Play Nice Policy of the past and the supposed deterrent of black listing for bad behavior.  I remember someone on one of these boards in the past labeling it PvEvP.  I can't say I'm any more fond of that than I am of regular PvP, but at least there you can try to kill the perp(s) harassing you.
    Vanguard raiding, without being instanced, wasn't as contested as EQ1. The APW Wearhouse had multiple wings and fast respawns with long lockout timers, which allowed multiple guilds per server the ability to raid without having to be hardcore. 

So they could do similarly in Pantheon, without compromising the vision. 
    Yes, but Brad has stated over and over that this is the spiritual successor of EQ, not Vanguard.  Considering design decisions so far, that statement is spot on.
    I've recall the Visionary Realms team mention both EQ1 and Vanguard as being influences for Pantheon, not just EQ1. 

Not sure where you heard this - EQ1 is the blueprint, thats what Brad said himself
    @DMKano straight from the horses mouth. I knew I hadn't lost my memory completely...

"With this latest project, Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen, there's a lot of EverQuest in it, there's a lot of Vanguard, and there's a lot of new ideas. " - Brad McQuaid

Source: http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/02/13/the-inside-story-of-how-a-major-mmo-went-wrong?page=2

svannKyleranTorval
    --------------------------------------------
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 37,004
    DMKano said:
    Kyleran said:
    DMKano said:
    How can a PvE game be P2W?

So assume another player buys all his power and does all the PvE content before you do - this impacts you how exactly?

It's not like dungeons and bosses in Pantheon can only be cleared once - everything respawns, it doesn't make any difference who does it first.

Assume that someone will do it first - assume that there will be players who will play more than you, be in guilds that are stronger than yours and be better geared - is this a problem for you?

What does it matter?

For me the notion that a purely PvE focused game can somehow be "P2W" is just so silly

I know that there will be better more powerful players in Pantheon then me - how they got there is frankly none of my business as it doesn't impact me one bit.

If they bought their accounts, if they paid the devs, or they just played a lot - or whatever - what difference does it make to anyone else?

Because of some imaginary epeen "first" contest?
    Oh come on, does that question really need an answer?
    You know dam well, how it works when you can't keep up with BiS players in PVE.
    I actually don't, do they put a lien on your computer or something?   ;)

I understand needing raid gear to complete certain content,  but I rarely recall ever having a BIS item, like say an orange item back in Vanilla WOW days.
    EQ was rampant with content deniers, loot farmers, gold sellers, camp stealers and general asshattery where the power gap played a huge role in PvE griefing.  Brad is a believer in competition for resources and content and he's stated recently that he intends to do the same in Pantheon.  He did not mention any game mechanics for policing, just the failed Play Nice Policy of the past and the supposed deterrent of black listing for bad behavior.  I remember someone on one of these boards in the past labeling it PvEvP.  I can't say I'm any more fond of that than I am of regular PvP, but at least there you can try to kill the perp(s) harassing you.
    Vanguard raiding, without being instanced, wasn't as contested as EQ1. The APW Wearhouse had multiple wings and fast respawns with long lockout timers, which allowed multiple guilds per server the ability to raid without having to be hardcore. 

So they could do similarly in Pantheon, without compromising the vision. 
    Yes, but Brad has stated over and over that this is the spiritual successor of EQ, not Vanguard.  Considering design decisions so far, that statement is spot on.
    I've recall the Visionary Realms team mention both EQ1 and Vanguard as being influences for Pantheon, not just EQ1. 

Not sure where you heard this - EQ1 is the blueprint, thats what Brad said himself
    @DMKano straight from the horses mouth. I knew I hadn't lost my memory completely...

"With this latest project, Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen, there's a lot of EverQuest in it, there's a lot of Vanguard, and there's a lot of new ideas. " - Brad McQuaid

Source: http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/02/13/the-inside-story-of-how-a-major-mmo-went-wrong?page=2

Not sure pulling "a lot" from three sources is possible,  must be some sort of new quantum math.

;)
    svannWellspring

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing FO76 at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon