Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Old Table Top Games with Friends Feel

13»

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    Amathe said:
    I remember the drama that attended Risk "alliances." Those were good times. Especially at 3 a.m., three sheets to the wind.
    Oh man that takes me back. In the mid eighties I knew two best friends, grown men, who stopped speaking to each other for months over a freaking game of Risk gone bad.
    Today they would be told they needed counselling and Risk would be being considered for a WHO health warning. ;)
    [Deleted User]
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Oh man that takes me back. In the mid eighties I knew two best friends, grown men, who stopped speaking to each other for months over a freaking game of Risk gone bad.
    [shouting] "But I'm telling you, that violates the SPIRIT of our agreement!" Haha. Best days ever. 

[Deleted User]

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335
    Amathe said:
    With some modern graphics, sure. But even more than games like Everquest, I would love to experience a little of this (and yes I know the pic is full of mistakes):

This is me every Saturday.

I go offline and play Pathfinder with my friends.

AmatheManWithNoTan

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

Sovrath said:
    Scot said:
    Sovrath said:
    Amathe said:
    Sovrath said:
    "the picture is full of mistakes" why?
    I could be mistaken. Or maybe the game changed after I played it. But my friends and I had graph paper where we mapped out the dungeon as we went. Not all of that stuff they have on the table. 
    Nah, the stuff they are using is actual, real stuff. Heck, I know a guy whose company makes some of this stuff.
    All that gear is the real McCoy, just not used by all groups, even those that do would not use it all the time. 
    If that stuff was available when I was young and played pen and paper games I'd have all of it. All the stuffs!

Trust me, it was. You just needed to invest the time and effort.

Mostly just Styrofoam and model railroad supplies. I used to make my own terrain for both D&D and Warhammer/40K.

Scot

Benjamin Franklin

• penandpaperpenandpaper Member UncommonPosts: 174
    Nyctelios said:
    No offense, but the entire thread is silly.  You will never (never ever) get a PC game to feel like a tabletop game.  The rules, the mechanics, the interactions are different - and they can't be imitated.  
    Here are a few examples: How someone rolls a die? Sure a computer can do it.  But it doesn't have flair, missteps, a pun attached.  My character jumps on the chandelier.  In a computer game, no.  My character tosses our warrior a healing potion.  Oops. He missed and it cracked and is leaking all over the ground. The fighter jumps on the ground and starts slurping it up. And so on and so on.
    There are no computers that can model the physics of the real world.  There are no computers that can think of everything you're trying to do and imagine it. And there is no feeling that duplicates being at the table with friends, playing, joking, getting serious, and spilling soda on a damn book.
    Ah come on, you are just acting like some of those people who claim reading on a kindle is not like reading from a book.

Ok, I get it, some of you need to be in the same room, some of you like to roll the dices... But it does not invalidate a digital experience if people have fun and engage in role playing with their friends.

Come one, you talk as if they having fun in a digital tabletop game somewhats attacks your "old school" way of doing things.

I agree with you. It does not invalidate the digital experience.  And can it be just as fun? Yes. But, is it the same? No.  That was the point I was trying to get across.  (And yes, reading a book is better than a Kindle.;) )

• penandpaperpenandpaper Member UncommonPosts: 174
    Why is this posted in a Pantheon forum? No MMORPG ever made has the same social impact as tabletop gaming. 
    From personal experience its MMORPGs that helped to kill off our table top gaming groups.

I have to disagree with you here.  I'm not saying MMO's made the crowds bigger for tabletop, but they didn't hurt the crowds.  The gaming stores (there are 3 I go to) on Tuesday nights is packed.  Saturday nights as well.  There are sooooo many homegroups, it's crazy.  And the conventions have all been growing. GaryCon this year (or last) had to move to a place three times the size of it's previous establishment.  GenCon is up to 70,000 people.   
    Amathe
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Sinist said:
    Sovrath said:
    Sinist said:

Look at the progression of D&D since its inception. D&D was created from the desire to give more story depth and interaction to the TT game "Chainmail". In the inception and progression of D&D, attitudes split on the attention to game play. Gygax believed structured rules and systems balanced with creative play were key to the progression of the game while Arneson believed only creative play was important, with rules and systems being subject to conditional need of attending to such.

Though Gygax said that if one doesn't like a rule then change it/remove it, it was up tot he players.

That's what I did. I threw out most of the bean counting and stuck to story telling/adventure.
    Yes, but he did not advocate what you describe. He was talking about rules and restrictions that impeded game play of the group. What you describe is what Arneson believed, and that was putting rules as secondary and focusing merely on the story and adventure. That is not what Gygax was describing when he said that both were equally important in play (which is also what he prefaces in the AD&D DM guide). 

If you stripped out all of AD&D recommended rules and structure, then you wasted your money and were better off buying the D&D rule sets which were extremely simplified and only existed as a core base to give some very basic structure to encounters. 
    Both D&D and AD&D were built around the same core idea: whatever the DM/GM said was how the game worked.  AD&D had more tools (read: tables) to deal with creation of worlds, but the basic combat system was still simplistic.  For instance, neither rule set dealt with strict movement like a wargame, like SPI tried to do with it's Dungeon Quest.

I wish I had come up with the idea to sell millions of dollars of games with the core principle of 'Make up something that feels right to you'.  It all boiled down to 'Resolve conflict with dice'.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    For pnp good dungeon masters with story telling capabilities that could make you shiver for a simple group of skelletons where way to rare..  and then we are not even talking about their improvisation capabilities.

Pnp was make or break by the quallity of the DM for me. 
    Mendel

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    I never played table top games, but I doubt a big mmo is going to replace it.  If any of you haven't tried it, there are rigidly enforced RP small persistent world servers for NWN 1 and 2.  The one I tried that I think probably puts the most effort in recreating what I think is a table top feel would be for NWN 1 called Prisoners of the Mist set in Ravenloft.  Most of the servers I tried for 1 and 2 have pretty regular GMed events as well.  
    For pnp good dungeon masters with story telling capabilities that could make you shiver for a simple group of skelletons where way to rare..  and then we are not even talking about their improvisation capabilities.

For me, make or break was always the players.

I am usually the DM.

Benjamin Franklin

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609

The snacks.  Don't forget the snacks.

And an abundance of quality food delivery in the area.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.