Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best Community?

mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
In your opinion, what is the best community to be a part of?  It's obviously a subjective question, and I don't want to get into a specific definition, so use your own definition, and give it in the comments section.

I self identify as a monkey.

Who has the best community?
  1. Who has the best community49 votes
    1. WoW
        8.16%
    2. ESO
      10.20%
    3. FFX ARR
      14.29%
    4. EVE
      10.20%
    5. BDO
        2.04%
    6. Other
      55.10%

Comments

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    I voted for other but I think it really depends.

Back in the day I loved the L2 community, just grinding and talking for hours, the clan wars and castle seiges, the drama, it was great. But if I go back now, it's really not like that anymore (at least from what I saw). 

As the question says IS I will assume you mean currently, which IMO would have to go to FFXIV. That game has one of the nicest communities I've ever met. I've never felt so included any time I join a guild. I've joined 4 or 5 different FC's on the game as I take large breaks and tend to get kicked due to that, but all of them instantly start talking to you, bring you into the FC house and just in general involve you in their community. I've had FC mates craft me full sets of gear out of nowhere as well. It's just a nice feeling when people actually just hang out and talk. Most of the time there were people in the house, not even afk, but just talking or having fun doing random little crap. Even people around in the housing area outside would come by and say hi to our FC and try to get you involved, it felt like an actual community. I didn't encounter toxicity in dungeons like you normally would if you wipe, or if you aren't doing enough damage on a raid. Everyone I encountered would actively try to help players who didn't understand. 

It was a weird experience because you usually don't get communities that are like that anymore, but it was fun. 
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    LOTRO .. easy

FF14 runner up
    wandericaFrodoFragins
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

Back in the day I loved the L2 community, just grinding and talking for hours, the clan wars and castle seiges, the drama, it was great. But if I go back now, it's really not like that anymore (at least from what I saw). 

As the question says IS I will assume you mean currently, which IMO would have to go to FFXIV. That game has one of the nicest communities I've ever met. I've never felt so included any time I join a guild. I've joined 4 or 5 different FC's on the game as I take large breaks and tend to get kicked due to that, but all of them instantly start talking to you, bring you into the FC house and just in general involve you in their community. I've had FC mates craft me full sets of gear out of nowhere as well. It's just a nice feeling when people actually just hang out and talk. Most of the time there were people in the house, not even afk, but just talking or having fun doing random little crap. Even people around in the housing area outside would come by and say hi to our FC and try to get you involved, it felt like an actual community. I didn't encounter toxicity in dungeons like you normally would if you wipe, or if you aren't doing enough damage on a raid. Everyone I encountered would actively try to help players who didn't understand. 

It was a weird experience because you usually don't get communities that are like that anymore, but it was fun. 
    I had a pretty good impression of the FFXIV community, I just couldn't get into the game.  For some reason, it feels like slow motion when I'm in combat.  I had a hard time getting into community with ESO.  The way the guild system is, I can't really get 'close' to one.  With 5 guilds, I'm bombarded with messages from them all, and can focus on none of them.  The easy fix would be to just join one, but there are benefits to belong to multiple guilds.

I self identify as a monkey.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    mgilbrtsn said:

I had a pretty good impression of the FFXIV community, I just couldn't get into the game.  For some reason, it feels like slow motion when I'm in combat.  I had a hard time getting into community with ESO.  The way the guild system is, I can't really get 'close' to one.  With 5 guilds, I'm bombarded with messages from them all, and can focus on none of them.  The easy fix would be to just join one, but there are benefits to belong to multiple guilds.
    The combat is extremely slow compared to most games because of the long GCD, there are some skills you earn later on that don't follow the GCD so it helps a little bit but I can see why. I completely agree with ESO, I choose to have 1 guild in ESO other than trading guilds, but yeah constant guild chat from 4 different guilds would get annoying and feel less personal. 
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    I voted other. I pretty much hate the communities in the games listed.
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    LOTRO
    ScotGameolioDan
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    GW2.  Very helpful people there.
    rertez

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Anarchy Online Pre 2010. (Item Store was implemented)
    Anarchy was one of those games where you needed other players. The game was designed for interdependence.

Multiple accounts and paying for buffs in the shop killed that quick.
    nightraider
  • EronakisEronakis Member UncommonPosts: 2,248
    I voted for Other. 

Everquest had the best overall community. Most people were helpful and polite. 

Honorable mention: LOTRO. 

Out of all of the active mmos right now, LOTRO has by far the best community. 

The type of community is determined by two facets....

1. The market of gamer you're trying to hit. 

2. Lack or depth of community elements you integrate into various areas of the game. 

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    It's a game community..

which means they are all full of whiny self entitled egotistical brats.. 

With that said.. I guess it's really a matter of do you want to play with Hard Core Elitist full of hate and rage Brats, or the "I play drunk and stoned" Brats or the "I have six jobs, 3 kids, and this is the only time I get to play, I am here to unwind, now chill the fuck out" brats.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    Solitaire
    MadFrenchieUngoodPhaserlight
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    You didn't narrow it to in-game communities, so I'm gonna be that guy and say: why, our very own MMORPG.com community, of course! :D 
    QuizzicalCryomatrixUngoodConstantineMerus[Deleted User]KyleranmgilbrtsnXarkoPhaserlightpythi

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I voted:

Entropia. People are generally helpful in rookie chat. Everyone is playing against the house. But then again, i haven't really played the other games other than EVE. So I can't say much. 

Cryomatrix
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    I'd go with LotRO as well.
    Scot
  • MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    FFXIV for games still running. Pre-hologrind SWG and City of Heroes for dead games.
    MadFrenchie[Deleted User]pythiAmathe
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    FFXIV. I can only think of two times I ran into jerks, in about three years of playing. 
    pythi

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    It will always got to LOTRO as long as their servers stay up.
    Scot
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    LotrO, from day 1 till now, the rest doesn't even come close.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    ScotGorwe
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Project 99 Everquest.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    LotRO hands down, that makes it 5 votes for LotRO, I am sure it would have got far more if it was on the list. BDO on a list for best community...come on. :)
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    I suspect BDO currently stands at zero because those folks didn't realize you could interact with anyone in game.

;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited June 2018
    I voted for EVE (dont laugh) but I would pick Fallout 4.  The npc's interact with me more there than players do in most modern MMORPGs today.

Though my wife is getting concerned about my long term relationship with 'Piper'.....lets hope she never finds out about the "Lover's Embrace" perk.

;)
    ScotmgilbrtsnGorwe[Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    None of the modern day gaming communities fits in with me. FFXIV comes close due to getting some older gamers there. EQ2 AB server had the maturest mindset but I don't play that anymore. I said other but FFXIV the closest thing you get to a good community these days in the online gaming world

Still, Tradechat in WoW and 4 biggest **** being morons in general is a better community than PoE or Growtopia.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    WoW is by far the worst...How is that even debateable? As for the newer ones, I thought most of the people I met in ESO were very friendly.