Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Defiance 2050 - Open Beta Impressions - Improved but How Much? - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageDefiance 2050 - Open Beta Impressions - Improved but How Much? - MMORPG.com

My foray into the final PC beta for Defiance 2050 didn’t have an auspicious beginning. The MMO shooter’s opening tutorial was busted in such a way that one simply could not progress the past that first instance with Cass. But eventually, Trion disabled the tutorial while they fixed it, and then things got better. These are our impressions of the Open Beta on PC for Defiance 2050.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Ricardo5802Ricardo5802 Member UncommonPosts: 45
    edited June 2018
    I played it and loved. Nothing new of course, but then again, Devs never said they were bringing new content it would be just a relaunch with new graphics and gameplay and new content would come after, just like SWL.
    If players expected otherwise then they alone are to blame for their own hyped delusions. And this could be seen a lot during my playtime, chat was a complete salt mine, lots of whining from players who barely even played the beta, expecting stuff Devs never promised or were coming with re-launch, for one thing Defiance 2050 beta really showed how sad and stupid some gamers can be nowadays...
    LeiHngWeiyonpachiblamo2000HarikenMeleconcatofmanyMrMelGibsonMoonffang
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

FU Trion ................. not again
  • Crow07Crow07 Member UncommonPosts: 8
    The game just doesn't look all that enticing. At least, not now. Imo it doesn't compare to GITS: First Assault before that died.

But if the devs steer this game in the right direction, it may be worth looking out for.
  • Jrich_cpJrich_cp Member UncommonPosts: 63
    I liked reading “how sad and stupid some gamers can be nowadays” followed by “ FU Trion”. Its like case and point.

The hype of Anthem has me craving a third person co op loot shooter. Sucks on the timing of this. I would invest a lot more time when it comes out, but watcraft pre patch starts around the same time followed by the release. So i guess ill give a week or two and maybe come back when im bored with wow again until Anthem releases. But im sure there is something new and shiny that will have my attention by then (hearthstone patch perhaps).

Too many games
    MrMelGibsonMoonffang
  • Ricardo5802Ricardo5802 Member UncommonPosts: 45

Torval said:

Better games have been shuttered for lesser reasons. Trion should recognize when to cut their losses. Every time I've logged in, it's just sullied the memory of my original experience. It's clunky and not fun.

There are better third person shooters to play out there that cost much less for the full experience. The game doesn't exist in a vacuum.

Open World shooters? Besides Defiance only other one I see is The Division.
    Other than those there are no others, when it comes to future MMOs, only Fallout 76 and The Division 2 have me interested, the rest are more of the same, fantasy themed (boring) with WoW cloned gameplay / combat style, as in action bars bloated with abilities...
    [Deleted User]
  • mnemic666mnemic666 Member UncommonPosts: 224
    I wasn't expecting much, but I was still underwhelmed. They did far less work than even Funcom did with SWL and it really shows, unfortunately.

I was optimistic when I first heard Trion were throwing some money at Defiance and was hoping we'd get some real meaningful improvements, but I probably should have known better at this point. Outside of some slightly improved visuals since the game isn't being held back by last-gen consoles (though are held back by last-gen looking assets still) and some largely cosmetic systems changes I don't see any meaningful improvements to the experience or content in any way from playing the first few hours of the game again over the weekend.

This should have been a patch with a new release on PS4/Xbone, not a brand new game.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505

Torval said:

Better games have been shuttered for lesser reasons. Trion should recognize when to cut their losses. Every time I've logged in, it's just sullied the memory of my original experience. It's clunky and not fun.

There are better third person shooters to play out there that cost much less for the full experience. The game doesn't exist in a vacuum.

Open World shooters? Besides Defiance only other one I see is The Division.

Other than those there are no others, when it comes to future MMOs, only Fallout 76 and The Division 2 have me interested, the rest are more of the same, fantasy themed (boring) with WoW cloned gameplay / combat style, as in action bars bloated with abilities...

Neither of those are MMOs, but shared world shooters (well, shared world survival game, in the case of FO76). As I understand it, Defiance is an MMO, which is why it won't compare to the Division's gunplay.

The Division plays like a singleplayer TPS, with all the bells and whistles you'd expect from that, but it includes small-group multiplayer. If 2050 does nothing to leverage it's more traditional MMO gameplay systems, it's going to be rough going once Div2 comes out.

Primo example why it's useful to denote the appropriate genre for each, and develop for the genre's strengths. Lumping this game in with The Division or FO76 does this game's chances a huge disservice.
    BillMurphySpottyGekkoMrMelGibson

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Would rather play destiny 2.
    [Deleted User]Ricardo5802

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Ronald88Ronald88 Member UncommonPosts: 56
    Guys, how was the endgame in the original version of Defiance ?
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    If it is owned by Trion it is a complete waste of time.  

• yonpachiyonpachi Member UncommonPosts: 191
    edited June 2018
    So basically this is the 64Bit version of Defiance, with all the DLCs freely available. Just like what Bethesda did to SkyrimLE -> SkyrimSE, and Funcom did to The Secret World -> Secret World Legends. I don't get why people are so salty about this game?

I'm sad seeing people bashing Defiance2050 left and right.
    With reason:
    "This is the exact same game with minor changes"
    "Why is this marketed as separate title? It's the same story and all!"
    Well duh... So I guess Bethesda can't just release SkyrimSE as a separate title then? It's just the exact same Skyrim but 64bit and bit better textures...

It runs better on my system, only single crash so far. The only issues I'm having is the occasional lags for some reason. On maxed it looks bit better due to better graphics implementation, but since they are using same textures it doesn't improve that much. I'm liking the changes to the class system, loot, and the enemies seems to be much harder than the original one (which is good I think, more challenge). The Combat Medic class seems to be underwhelming, I hope they improve it later on

Other than that, it's the same game.

I've been playing Defiance since like 5 years ago on original launch. I hope Defiance2050 is doing well, it's the only true open world MMO shooter out there (is there another else in the market that I dont know about?)..I'll be joining the launch on July and see how it goes. It's free anyway, with all DLCs unlocked. More reason to check what I missed.
    blamo2000
  • 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    I've tried the game and decided not to play it (again) after 5 minutes: now even trash mobs are bullet sponges which takes forever to kill. Original arcade gameplay was much more fun with easy mobs and a lot of running.
    Ricardo5802

Thank you for your time!

• blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    I like it more than the original.  I tried and enjoyed all the classes.  I like how the different weapons function.  I like that I have to actually try and pay attention.  Its still too rpg-lite for my taste, but I haven't seen the weapon mod system, nor got high enough level to see how everything connects and all the different types of equipment/shields, etc.
  • DranmarthDranmarth Member UncommonPosts: 57
    Never played the original. And not really much of a FPS player. It's not really a game I'll spend a TON of time into, but it was enjoyable enough as it was and I'll certainly check it out when it releases. Also they mentioned an Engineer class being available at some point, and that got me even more interested.
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    Sorry if I missed this, but are they bringing back the show also? It was a cool concept! I had dreams of a show character named Warleader Gutlard terrorizing the planet, but I only played a handful of hours of the original when it released....

Gut Out!

What, me worry?

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469
    so basically if you play the story of 1st Defiance, now you will play EXACTLY the same story? In 1st Defiance in 4 months i had all vehs 100% and all weps 100%, then didnt know what more to do and quit. Do we need to do the same thing again in this one?
    fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN