Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Potions - The great equilizer

ZindaihasZindaihas Member UncommonPosts: 3,662

As a follow-up to my Versatility thread, I was wondering if there has been any information released about the use of potions in Pantheon?  The reason I ask is because I loved using potions in EQ.  It fell in line with my desire to make my character as well-rounded as possible.  As a ranger, I had a lot of spells at my disposal, but for the things I couldn't do, I tried to make up for with the use of potions.  For example, rangers could not become invisible so I was constantly buying invisibility potions (as well as invisibility to undead potions).  I also bought healing potions because, although I could heal, potions acted instantaneously, whereas, casting heal required casting time.

I also loved the shrink potion in EQ.  As an elf, I didn't really need them, I just thought they were cool.  My brother's troll had a legitimate use for shrink potions.

Comments

• BrunlinBrunlin Member UncommonPosts: 79
    edited June 2018
    Zindaihas said:

As a follow-up to my Versatility thread, I was wondering if there has been any information released about the use of potions in Pantheon?  The reason I ask is because I loved using potions in EQ.  It fell in line with my desire to make my character as well-rounded as possible.  As a ranger, I had a lot of spells at my disposal, but for the things I couldn't do, I tried to make up for with the use of potions.  For example, rangers could not become invisible so I was constantly buying invisibility potions (as well as invisibility to undead potions).  I also bought healing potions because, although I could heal, potions acted instantaneously, whereas, casting heal required casting time.

I also loved the shrink potion in EQ.  As an elf, I didn't really need them, I just thought they were cool.  My brother's troll had a legitimate use for shrink potions.

I get what you are saying and agree with some games, potions are big in Everquest but not heal potions. Heal potions are almost non existent in Everquest. In Everquest Clarity potions, cloudy potions, ivu potions, Damage shield potions are all the rave, oh and sow potions and yea Shrink potions...etc....

Im not sure why you said Rangers in Everquest dont have invis when they get a out door invis at level 14 called Camoflage and Superior Camo came at 41 ish, which would work indoors. I could see you though stocking up on cloudys before level 41 getting in and out of dungeons to get to groups at certain camps, though those cloudys arent cheap from vendors.  IVU potions were very popular in Classic EQ, though a smart Cleric looking to gain some plat would be at the Lower Guk zoneline giving out IVU buffs and Rez for donations. Everquest is well known for its potions but unlike most mmo with potions Eq heal potions were either weak or very rare. This was to keep healers needed in groups, and I imagine Pantheon will be the same way

If at first you don’t succeed, call it version 1.0

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    edited June 2018
    As soon as you get your invisibility spells you would be getting the divination skill (I think it was) up standing about casting it till you maxed out the skill so it would not fizzle at a crucial moment.

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    Brunlin said:
    Zindaihas said:

I get what you are saying and agree with some games, potions are big in Everquest but not heal potions. Heal potions are almost non existent in Everquest. In Everquest Clarity potions, cloudy potions, ivu potions, Damage shield potions are all the rave, oh and sow potions and yea Shrink potions...etc....

Im not sure why you said Rangers in Everquest dont have invis when they get a out door invis at level 14 called Camoflage and Superior Camo came at 41 ish, which would work indoors. I could see you though stocking up on cloudys before level 41 getting in and out of dungeons to get to groups at certain camps, though those cloudys arent cheap from vendors.  IVU potions were very popular in Classic EQ, though a smart Cleric looking to gain some plat would be at the Lower Guk zoneline giving out IVU buffs and Rez for donations. Everquest is well known for its potions but unlike most mmo with potions Eq heal potions were either weak or very rare. This was to keep healers needed in groups, and I imagine Pantheon will be the same way
    EQ1 has heal over time potions. It was like 25hp a tick. I used them all the time to heal my enhanter when soloing hill giants. 
    --------------------------------------------
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited June 2018
    Brunlin said:
    Zindaihas said:

EQ1 has heal over time potions. It was like 25hp a tick. I used them all the time to heal my enhanter when soloing hill giants. 
    Amazing how people's memories vary so much.

One person says EQ1 has quick heal potions, another says it had HOT heals and another says there really were no useful healing potions.

Weird

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    EQ had (and has) player craftable healing potions and heal over time potions, though they are weak and have a significant cooldown.  Enough that they would never substitute for a real healer (not even for ranger heals).  They are just good enough for making the healer's job slightly easier.

Then there are invis, ivu, lev, gate, damage shield, haste, runspeed, etc
    Mendel
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I've always advocated that casting classes also carry some Invis potions (Cloudy potions) for those inevitable situations where your personal garden variety Invis spell decides to fail.  Potions are instant casting and can be cast while moving.  It's your decision, buy some insurance (invis potions) or trust the random duration for the basic Invis spell.

The healing potions are more an expensive way to reduce down time.  After 60, mobs are doing more damage than the appropriate level potion can restore, making healing potions an expensive plaything.  They aren't going to save your character's life with any regularity.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    I sort of wish games utilized potions a bit more like the Witcher.

downsides, upsides and perhaps as an addition, less about spamming them.
    KyleranKajidourden
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Never liked using potions much, especially not spamming them....WoW got ridiculous with the potions...I hope Pantheon is nothing like that.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Sovrath said:
    I sort of wish games utilized potions a bit more like the Witcher.

downsides, upsides and perhaps as an addition, less about spamming them.
    This.  Much more compelling.
    No matter how potions are implemented, they are very easy to port to a cash shop.  I thought that was one of the things that Pantheon supporters hated.  

svann

Mendel said:
    No matter how potions are implemented, they are very easy to port to a cash shop.  I thought that was one of the things that Pantheon supporters hated.  

The existence of one of things does not automatically tie it to the other.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

It may well be that VR does not implement a cash shop.  But if the items are in place in the game, it would be very easy to slap a cash value on that type of item and put it in a hypothetical shop.

You're right, @Kyleran, there isn't any kind of automatic connection between the two.  I'm just pointing out that the only thing preventing this from happening is VR's corporate self-discipline.  Yet, they have made steps to test the waters to see what the market will bear (conceptually).  My guess: it won't be a long wait until Pantheon has a cash shop.  Then we will see if VR can refuse that particular temptation.  That lucrative temptation.

Kyleran

• ZindaihasZindaihas Member UncommonPosts: 3,662
    Rhoklaw said:
    Not sure if this gives any indication of what you are looking or hoping for, but here's the link...

https://pantheonriseofthefallen.gamepedia.com/Alchemist

Thanks for that link, that helps.  It at least looks like they will play a roll in the game.

As far as potions in EQ goes, it's possible I am remembering healing potions incorrectly.  It looks like others have addressed the subject quite thoroughly.  Maybe what I am remembering is that I wanted to use healing potions instead of my own spells; but it's been almost 20 years and my mind isn't what it used to be. :)

However, I remember the invisibility potions quite clearly.  The Camouflage spell for rangers was practically worthless.  I can't think of a single time when I needed to be invisible outdoors.  It was in the dungeons in tight quarters when I needed to sneak past mobs that being invisible was the most helpful.

Mendel said:
    It may well be that VR does not implement a cash shop.  But if the items are in place in the game, it would be very easy to slap a cash value on that type of item and put it in a hypothetical shop.

You're right, @Kyleran, there isn't any kind of automatic connection between the two.  I'm just pointing out that the only thing preventing this from happening is VR's corporate self-discipline.  Yet, they have made steps to test the waters to see what the market will bear (conceptually).  My guess: it won't be a long wait until Pantheon has a cash shop.  Then we will see if VR can refuse that particular temptation.  That lucrative temptation.

I don't put much stock in devs promises about monetization as clearly this is subject to change all through the product lifestyle. 

At best players can hope a game at least launches with the originally promised model.

Staying the same forever, not the way to bet.
    Mendel