Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need some advice

s0ulls0ull Member Posts: 186

I've been reading up on this game watching a few pvp videos etc. So I'm gonna be doing the trial and probably get the game with the expansions to follow. I have a question however before I go to play.

My main interest lies in the RvR side of the game. I checked this game a few months back and there were classes which were better in PvP than others. Is that still the case if so which are more worthwhile to create. I don't want to level a char to 50 to then find its a gimped class because I'll lose interest and probably cancel the account. Also I'm looking for a class which can solo level but is also looked for in groups. I havent decided on a realm yet though so far im tilted towards albion. Any suggestions on what I should play?

Thanks.

Comments

• flynn444flynn444 Member UncommonPosts: 67
    There are definitely class with more group utility than other classes and have a higher priority among choices. Still, pick up groups (PUGs) will often take just about any class if they've got the basics covered.

Support classes will almost always get a group. For Albion, this would mean the Cleric, which can solo fairly well if spec'd in Smite (can respec to Rejuvination later for groups).  A Heretic, mix between support and offense, is also desirable. Friar is also now pretty solid.  The Theurgist is a possibility and one of my favorite Alb classes (and also most feared).

My advice is to try a variety of classes for a bit and see what suits you.

• s0ulls0ull Member Posts: 186
    Ok thanks for the advice
  • ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

My advice is:
    Find a class you enjoy playing.  Don't be affraid to start several characters just to figure out which you like playing.  Before deciding to stick with or trash a class get it to at least 20th.  1-10 is pretty much the same among styles.  From 1-10 a melee class is a melee class is a melee class.   Same for casters.  They don't really start diverging much in 'style' till 20ish.

Play a few, enjoy the game, pick a class you like and enjoy the game.  Which class you play really doesn't matter.  If you want a 100% guarantee to get in a group then join a guild.  Becaue even support folks will occasionally find it tough to get a group.  Same as in any game.  They have an easier time in other classes because they're 'required'.  But which class a group is 'short' is russian roulette :)

So pick one you like.  If it's a support class?  Great... if not?  That's ok too.

Take advice from other players but don't take it as gospel.  When I came back I made the mistake of listening to people on boards and tried a Vampiir.... By level 9 I deleted him.  Sorry, I had enough of THAT kind of button-mashing as a Bard in EQ in my late 20's... no way I'm going to subject my 38 year old hands to that kinda punishment again :)

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

• razziellerazzielle Member Posts: 162

I agree with El on the vampiir.  I got mine to 45 then got so horribly bored from doing the same thing nonstop that I just cant bring myself to play him anymore.  They are however probably the best character for leveling since it's the only class that requires virtually no downtime.

I noticed that you mentioned alb and this post focused on that comment although you said you hadn't decided on the realm yet so we can go further in.

Midgard:  My personal favorite realm.  For a good rvr you could look at the tanks like the warrior who has the best to-hit table over any other class in the game and with a large shield is a blocking machine.  If you want hybrid theres a choice between the thane or tha valk (female avatar only toon) who can cast and still tank.  The valk I've been toying with and she's alot nicer since they've given her a large shield also.  Also a sure group getter is the healer who can buff, heal, rez, stun, and mezz.  For the stealthers I would suggest the hunter over the shadowblade.  For casters the spiritmaster as suppression spec is very group friendly but monotomous and the dark spec is awesome for rvr.  The bonedancer is great early in the fights but kind of gets weaker later on.

Hibernia:  Almost any class can solo in some way shape or form here.  Hibernia is mostly magic so going caster is probably better,  The mana spec chanter has it all with pbaoe nukes, 3 pets to choose from, and a great mana shield.  A great farmer and seiger would be the animist being able to pop up mushrooms left and right and even if they kill you your mushroom live for the rest of theyre 2 minute lifespan racking in rp even as you lay there.  Of course we mention the vampiir.  The bainshee has aoe's coming out of every orafice of her body and a ablative that makes it almost impossible to kill her.  The nightshade (assassin) has gotten some upgrades lately that makes him pretty lethal now also and the ranger is still as always a decent bow class.  Even with the upgrades that all the heavy tanks have gotten you still don't see as many in this realm.  Your choices there are hero, blademaster, and champion.  Each use magic in some way.  And the warden is a good support for heals, buffs, and his own little combo moves.

Albion:  I'm testing this realm a little so not much I know about it other than fighting them.  I know the reaver is a awesome hybrid with insta dd's and pbaoe's, large shield, and a whip .  The heretic as mentioned is a support healer with some absolutly awesome offensive spells under his belt.  For total damge theres the fire wizard and for pet spamming you've got the thuerogist who can take purples with ease in his higher levels.  The cleric is a good support also.

Another issue to look at is the server you want to be on.  They have the regular servers that hold every expansion.  This means with trials of atlantis you can go on master levels thus giving your character some kind of spells to play with.  Example:  I currently have a ML4 Bainlord berzerker and with that I've got 4 spells I previously didn't have (which was none).  With bainlord these spells currently allow me to make it so the enemy uses more end using his moves, reduce his carrying weight, take off 10% end and hp immediatly, or cut a casters powerpool by 30%.  To read up on these visit mythics main website.  With TOA you can also get artifact weapons, armor, and items.  These items level like you do and with each level they gain a new ability up to level 10.

Alot of people dont care for TOA so they go to the classic servers.  With classic TOA is removed and they changed the rules on buffers.  With the buffers they HAVE to be in the same group with you and within a certain distance.  Doing this means theres not a million buff bots standing around and it levels the playing field for the people who don't want to pay for 2 accounts.

You also have the co-op but if your the rvr type then scratch this one and theres a PVP server which means all out war in any realm.  You're safe nowhere (cept maybe the main cities I dont know).  Don't worry about the roleplay servers cause noone really seems to roleplay on them.

Every server carries the catacomb and darkness rising expansions.  With darkness rising they have the champion quests and mounts.  With the champion quests you can eventually cross class. say your playing the midgard healer.  They get no attack styles per say, they just swing theyre hammer over and over.  With champion levels you can talk to a viking trainer and actually learn moves.  Or a tank can cast (weak spells but it's still casting) or heal themselves.  No this does not mean you can make a stealthing warlock (that would be the bomb though...literally).  Not to mention the champion weapon you can receive at level 50 is pretty decent.  The mounts you'll find are pretty self explanitory so we wont go into that.

Hopefully some of this will spread some light on your choices or make it harder to decide

• razziellerazzielle Member Posts: 162

Double post..whoops