Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The woes of Korean developed games...

124»

Comments

• RhoklawRhoklaw Member EpicPosts: 6,561
    Rhoklaw said:
    Kabulozo said:
    Korean followed by chinese are the only developers still investing in multi million budget AAA MMOs. Western devs gave up on it a long time ago.

It's true, western developers haven't put anything out in a very long time. I just don't see eastern developers putting out the same quality except for FFXI and FFXIV.
    Not putting out the same quality as what?
    Well, when I give examples such as FFXI and FFXIV, I'm not exactly sure what isn't clear about what quality I'm talking about. While GW2 was actually developed in the US, I'll even award Korea with some credit since it's a subsidiary of NCSoft.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems awfully peculiar that anything PvP related from eastern developers just isn't all that popular in the west, aside from Lineage. ArcheAge is definitely not as popular as it was, nor Blade and Soul, Revelation Online or as it would turn out, Bless Online. Black Desert Online is the only one that has managed to retain a fair amount of it's western player base.

Is it because of the OWPvP? Probably not. My guess would be is because of how easy it is to hack these games and when you have a serious security flaw on top of P2A / P2W cash shops. One has to wonder why these games are not as popular as PvE focused games. Yet since 2014, we've seen nothing but the same crap over and over, rehashed, reiterated with the same glaring flaws.

Perhaps when they figure out what turns people off and fix it, they might restore their reputation. Until then, they can at least gain recognition for the games that did do well.

• blueturtle13blueturtle13 Member LegendaryPosts: 11,829
    Rhoklaw said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    Kabulozo said:
    Korean followed by chinese are the only developers still investing in multi million budget AAA MMOs. Western devs gave up on it a long time ago.

It's true, western developers haven't put anything out in a very long time. I just don't see eastern developers putting out the same quality except for FFXI and FFXIV.
    Well, when I give examples such as FFXI and FFXIV, I'm not exactly sure what isn't clear about what quality I'm talking about. While GW2 was actually developed in the US, I'll even award Korea with some credit since it's a subsidiary of NCSoft.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems awfully peculiar that anything PvP related from eastern developers just isn't all that popular in the west, aside from Lineage. ArcheAge is definitely not as popular as it was, nor Blade and Soul, Revelation Online or as it would turn out, Bless Online. Black Desert Online is the only one that has managed to retain a fair amount of it's western player base.

Is it because of the OWPvP? Probably not. My guess would be is because of how easy it is to hack these games and when you have a serious security flaw on top of P2A / P2W cash shops. One has to wonder why these games are not as popular as PvE focused games. Yet since 2014, we've seen nothing but the same crap over and over, rehashed, reiterated with the same glaring flaws.

Perhaps when they figure out what turns people off and fix it, they might restore their reputation. Until then, they can at least gain recognition for the games that did do well.
    Yet the Western market is the smallest revenue market for most Eastern games. So what you are saying is that they should scrap what works for them only to cater to an audience the games were never intended for to begin with?
    craftseekerMrMelGibson

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• RhoklawRhoklaw Member EpicPosts: 6,561
    Rhoklaw said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    Kabulozo said:

Yet the Western market is the smallest revenue market for most Eastern games. So what you are saying is that they should scrap what works for them only to cater to an audience the games were never intended for to begin with?
    No, they can keep making games whatever or however they want. I'm sure by now they must understand that whatever it is they localize for the western market just isn't as appealing here as it is over there. Except in the case of Bless Online, which apparently isn't being liked or enjoyed by anyone.

Yet amazingly enough, we have games made my eastern developers such as FFXI, FFXIV and games such as World of Warcraft made by a western developer, all of which are enjoyed worldwide. So, maybe I should change the title of my thread to, "The woes of PvP focused MMOs, which just so happen to be a favorite of the eastern gaming community" except it wouldn't fit within the confines of thread title length.

• KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 917
    MaxBacon said:
    Korean developers are best at creating combat systems, go figure why, I like what we seen with BDO for example, and the combat of Lost Ark as well.

Korean MMO developers are the best at it, companies like NcSoft have brought us several of the biggest titles on MMO gaming.

And you depend on them really, the MMO genre will die without them, upcoming titles like Project TL, or Lost Ark, are all large-scale mainstream quality titles that really no western dev shows able to compete with the amount of content and polish those games tend to have.

In fact, I would blame more the Western publishers for ruining great games with the most frustrating business strategies, such as Archeage.
    Pretty much Koreans are the only ones still pumping AAA-budget MMOs. Western developers already gave up, only indie studios are still working on the genre with the help of crowd fund.
    TorvalcraftseekerMikehaMrMelGibson
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 34,361
    edited June 2018
    blueturtle13 said:  
    Rhoklaw said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    Kabulozo said:

Good point. Guess I'd better learn to like spammy action style combat,  RNG heavy grind...in the cash shop anyways, and easily hackable, client side designs.  :)

Good thing I've already had expectations of good customer service beaten out of me already by western publishers.  :#

Who needs to save money for retirement anyways?

;)

Rhoklaw

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon