Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Around the Verse - Party Like It's 2948 - Star Citizen Videos - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited June 2018 in Videos Discussion

imageAround the Verse - Party Like It's 2948 - Star Citizen Videos - MMORPG.com

In the latest edition of the Star Citizen video developer diary series, Around the Verse, viewers are given the latest game news. This time, hosts Sandi Gardiner and Chris Roberts provide an overview of the episode that includes an "up close & personal look at the PU Grouping System and the Lore Master's Guide to the Galaxy heads off for a look at the Caliban system. In addition, Ricky Jutley gives an update on the character system with updates to the facial rig system and more.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    edited June 2018
    The World building done by the Star Citizen team (see "Guide to the Galaxy") is already topic at scientific conferences. Same with the linguistic aspects of alien languages in Star Citizen.

Have fun
    JoeBloberWalkinGlenn
  • FrozenyearroundFrozenyearround Member UncommonPosts: 155
    Is this game ever going to release?
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

Yes, in 2948, just like the title says.
    SBFordScotKylerantannim78

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

Yes.

We play the Alpha version for years already ... and i personally enjoy it. To me it is a worthy successor to the free sandbox gameplay i had in Star Wars Galaxies.

Have fun
    JoeBlober
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Game is taking too long and costing too much.
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
    Elsabolts said:
    So did Witcher 3 ... and it was an amazing game.

Have fun
    JoeBloberrpmcmurphy
  • SupaMutantSupaMutant Member UncommonPosts: 136
    Your grandchildren's funeral will be released before this game does.
    ScotchUpWalkinGlenntannim78
    5|_|©|< /\/\¥ |)!©|< /\/\!|<3|3
  • SupaMutantSupaMutant Member UncommonPosts: 136

Erillion said:

Elsabolts said:

Have fun

Witcher 3 took three and a half years to make. Then it was released.

Star Citizen started in 2012. Still not released and never will be.

Difference.
    5|_|©|< /\/\¥ |)!©|< /\/\!|<3|3
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Erillion said:
    Elsabolts said:
    Witcher 3 cost $81 million to develop and launch, whereas Star Citizen has $188 million funding and still holding more concept sales. Witcher 3 took 3.5 years to develop, whereas Star Citizen has already taken 6 years with no release in sight.

Source for Witcher 3 numbers: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/this-is-how-much-the-witcher-3-cost-to-make/1100-6430409/
    rpmcmurphyMadFrenchie

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    Check Chris's eye swivel to the monitor at the start of the video, "Are we live?" Then at the end he attempts humour but instead almost looks like he is awkwardly flirting with Sandi.

You know I do pick on him a bit, but even though he is getting better in front of the camera he is still comedy gold.

There is a lot of stuff in the video, it looks good...I have said that before. :)
  • JoeBloberJoeBlober Member RarePosts: 586

Elsabolts said:

You clearly have no clue what you are talking about. End of Nov. 2012 they were 12 guys, 6 m$, no pipelines, no studios... Publishers have Billion $, thousands of devs, uptodate pipelines and game engine and full budget at day one... and still take years.

Not only CIG is not late or more costly but they are now in position to deliver quarterly aptch adding both gameplay + Locations + performance.
    beta by end of 2019 is very possible.
    Dr_BinksrpmcmurphyKyleranShaighDarkpigeonMadFrenchie
  • penandpaperpenandpaper Member UncommonPosts: 174

Vrika said:

Erillion said:

Elsabolts said:

Witcher 3 cost $81 million to develop and launch, whereas Star Citizen has $188 million funding and still holding more concept sales. Witcher 3 took 3.5 years to develop, whereas Star Citizen has already taken 6 years with no release in sight.

Source for Witcher 3 numbers: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/this-is-how-much-the-witcher-3-cost-to-make/1100-6430409/

Don't forget that a good portion of that $81 million was to generate publicity and advertising. I do not have the figures, but I want to say $30 million. But, this is a debate without an end here. No one will ever change Erillion's (or any other supporters') mind. Not that we should. They have a alpha/beta and are happy playing it, so good for them. But the obvious context here is clearly visible to those that wish to see it.
  • kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member RarePosts: 565
    Wow they made a video to proudly promote their party system? Like EQ had back in the day?
    Groundbreaking tech indeed!
    Warzod
  • JoeBloberJoeBlober Member RarePosts: 586

Erillion said:

Elsabolts said:

Have fun

Witcher 3 took three and a half years to make. Then it was released.

Star Citizen started in 2012. Still not released and never will be.

Difference.

You understand that Witcher 3 was... the third witcher right? And that studios was already created which was not the case of CIG.
    After CIG will have release SQ42 they will be able to release another DLC every two years without problem... because precisely they won't start from scratch.
    Never will be? Beta by end of 2019 looking at massive update every quarter. They will have covered all game goals by this date, including all gameplay, massive locations and performance improvement.

Clearly you do not know at all what you are talking about :)
    KyleranVrikaShaigh
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    JoeBlober said:

Never will be? Beta by end of 2019 looking at massive update every quarter. They will have covered all game goals by this date, including all gameplay, massive locations and performance improvement.

LOL, just fracking lol.
    Kyleran
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    JoeBlober said:

LOL, just fracking lol.
    Unbelieveable how much "goodwill" this game has.

Its supporters don't even attempt to predict an actual release date and seem quite content to wait until 2022 and beyond. There are cults which can't replicate the same level of fanaticism.

Most amazing and yet weird gaming phenomenon I've ever seen.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• sipusipu Member UncommonPosts: 200

Kyleran said:

JoeBlober said:

LOL, just fracking lol.

Its supporters don't even attempt to predict an actual release date and seem quite content to wait until 2022 and beyond. There are cults which can't replicate the same level of fanaticism.

why do you even bother, when you are not interested in that game? just move on
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    sipu said:

Kyleran said:

JoeBlober said:

LOL, just fracking lol.

There needs to be a counterpoint to the rictus of the smiley-faced proselytizers.  So the folks on the sidelines considering throwing their contributions down this money pit have some more information before making the leap.  The basic $35-50 entry isn't that great a risk for most, but that's not the monetization strategy of CIG.  

Best bet is to wait til they deliver a viable game.  
    Kyleran

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    sipu said:it

Kyleran said:

JoeBlober said:

LOL, just fracking lol.

It entertains me to do so? Feel free to heed your own advice, this is my house.

;)
    DarkpigeonGeezerGamerScotchUp

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited June 2018
    Working to make mining FUN...lmao

An arm that sticks out in fp view and just shoots beams,not very intuitive nor a lot of effort.Matter of fact,that is VERY little effort and to me not fun or even interactive.

Since we are talking about world building,players should be leaving the ship and setting up a mining rig outside the ship.You should have to craft your mining rig as well harvest materials to repair it,THAT is how it should be done.
    I love the constant use of the WORK IN PROGRESS.So your taking forever to get nothing done?
    They sure seem to be struggling with the VERY simple concept of partying,it tells me they never planned this at all until recently.
    So from what i gather they are saying is they struggled to separate com link players from actual in group players...sigh.Talks about latency,well how would players not actually in the area and not actually in the group cause any latency problems?Sounds like they have a very shotty system that does not run very well.
    An example already done by most every game is they have a separate chat system, for grouping from linkshell/guild chat and from vicinity chat without any problems.

Caliban/Lore...CHEAP way to do it is to just tell us what is going on instead of portraying it fully in game.This is why we have 3D VIDEO games,we don't want to read a book and simply use our mind,we want to SEE it in action.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• forcelimaforcelima Member UncommonPosts: 232
    "Party like its 2948" so....that is the official release year.
  • HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993

Elsabolts said:

What's that based on? What games are the same to what SC is trying to make and have been created in less time and less money?
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    edited June 2018
    Herase said:

Elsabolts said:

What's that based on? What games are the same to what SC is trying to make and have been created in less time and less money?
    You might boil this down to "if it's not exactly the same as this then there's no comparison".

Sure, no other game right now lets you run around inside your ship, outside, and also fly your ship from a planetary surface into space.

Oh wait, yeah, some games do let you do that. Shores of Hazeron, Ascent the Space Game... both released. Rodina, in Early Access, lets you do that, and Infinity Battlescape is also worth taking a look at. 

Okay, but Star Citizen has quality graphics, fine. Chris, the Wing Commander dev, is at the helm of this one.

That doesn't mean there hasn't been evidence of project mismanagement, or reason to raise objection to SC's funding tactics.

You hardly have to dig at all for the former at this point, and for the latter I'd urge common sense.

Post edited by Phaserlight on
    MadFrenchie

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Do they actually intend to add one solar system a year until they have 10 thousand?

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000

Herase said:

Elsabolts said:

You might boil this down to "if it's not exactly the same as this then there's no comparison".

Sure, no other game right now lets you run around inside your ship, outside, and also fly your ship from a planetary surface into space.

Oh wait, yeah, some games do let you do that. Shores of Hazeron, Ascent the Space Game... both released. 

Okay, but Star Citizen has quality graphics, fine. Chris, the Wing Commander dev, is at the helm of this one.

That doesn't mean there hasn't been evidence of project mismanagement, or reason to raise objection to SC's funding tactics.

You hardly have to dig at all for the former at this point, and for the latter I'd urge common sense.

I've noticed that most games that promise cutting edge innovations either ending up scaling way back or never launch at all.
    PhaserlightScotchUp

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey