Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

COE July "Not State of Elyria" Discord update - Very wow

KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
edited June 2018 in Chronicles of Elyria
Caspian's emphasis, not mine. ;)

Apparently things are coming along so well on the development front he feels there is no real need for a July update as was done last year.

"The state of elyria is, we're moving through our scheduled releases and are now on 0.4.0. The write-up for that should be out next week. Much good. Very wow."

This linked Discord conversation made around 11 PM PAT Saturday evening is apparently all fans are going to get for now.

Fortunately someone captured it and reshared on the COE forums today.

Enjoy! 

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/26560/state-of-elyria-by-caspian-in-discord

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

craftseekerJamesGoblin[Deleted User]

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    edited June 2018
    Too funny...

Is it a lie if you believe it?

Just as a reminder here is the timeline posted in the July 2017 State of Elyria which he has yet to admit he is once again behind on (ElyriaMud = VoxElyia = PreAlpha Minecraft)

1. V3 of the Website (Q3 2017)
    2. ElyriaMUD (Q4 2017)
    3. Alpha 1 (T1 2018)
    4. Server Selection (T1 2018)
    5. Settlement / Domain Selection (T2 2018)
    6. KoE (T2 2018)
    7. Design Experiences (T3 2018)
    8. Alpha 2 (T3 2018)
    9. Beta 1 (S1 2019)
    10. Prologue & CoE Adventure Toolkit (S1 2019)
    11. Exposition (S1 2019)
    12. Beta 2 (S1/S2 2019)
    13. Stress Test (Any paid account)(S2 2019)
    14. Launch (S2 2019)

ElyriaMUD
    We've come to the end of the line. We've already done a look back at the past six months and shown the complete list of features for CoE. We've given an updated schedule of development, and we've even given a teaser on what the next five weeks looks like for Soulbound Studios. What could we end with that could possibly add more value?

Easy - what we'll be doing in Quarter 4 of 2017! As we talked about earlier, the first six months of 2017 has been largely focused on laying down a plethora of functional ground-work, mostly focused on the back-end system which, while not visually interesting, is extremely important to our overall development workflow. If you look back at our projected timeline you'll see that the focus of Q4 is going to be on ElyriaMUD. The time will have come for us to put aside the core systems and begin heavily focusing on the exciting gameplay mechanics listed in the (admittedly) overwhelming list of features I provided above.

That's going to be an exciting time for everyone. We'll be seeing progress happening at the speed of light, (Emphasis mine) and you'll finally get experience the capability of this fully armed and operational battle studio! The team is already chomping at the bit. We know we've got to focus on PAX West for the next few weeks, but the groundwork for ElyriaMUD is already in place. In fact, here's a video Kaizen pulled together of the folks here at Soulbound Studios having some fun in ElyriaMUD.

Again- Those notes were from a freaking YEAR ago... and all that has been delivered to players is the first item.  Combine that with the sudden switch from "Pay to Build" to allowing you to buy store items for use after launch and you can see why many have lost interest.  Anyone really believe that they can go from delivering 1 item in a year (an updated website) to delivering the next 13 in a year and a half? That includes Pre-Alpha, Alpha 1, Kingdoms of Elyria spinoff game, Alpha 2, Beta 1, Singleplayer prologue and DLC, 3 month no wipe head start, beta 2, stress test and launch.

Yet instead of speaking frankly... we get "Much good. Very wow."

MadFrenchiecraftseekerMendelJamesGoblinSpottyGekko[Deleted User]Gdemami

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Well, the good news is they aren't waiting until the .05 version to deliver the pre-alpha.

Is that the same as VoxElyria or did they discard that idea?

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

VoxElyria = moving Minecraft figures in pre Alpha 

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    This game provides me with such copious amounts of laughter.  Still, it goes quite a ways towards proving the old axiom "There's a sucker born every minute", frequently attributed to P.T. Barnum.

craftseeker

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• OrangeBoyOrangeBoy Member UncommonPosts: 213
    No monthly updates after getting 3/4 million from backers > you're a MMO god

Wonder what's gonna happen after a year or two

OrangeBoy said:
    No monthly updates after getting 3/4 million from backers > you're a MMO god

Wonder what's gonna happen after a year or two

Radio silence I'm guessing,  perhaps a move into siege mode?
    craftseekerJamesGoblin

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,517
    Gonna laugh my ass off if this game launches..
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    The only thing to put money into to back is your own education or your own business ventures. J/k. Have fun backing stuff, but better just to wait when you know a bunch of others will put money into it. 

Cryomatrix
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    Ungood said:
    Launch is your bar for success? You got low, low standards. 
    --------------------------------------------
    Ungood said:
    Launch will be much good. Very wow.

Wellspring[Deleted User]NildenJamesGoblinKrematoryOrangeBoy

Ungood said:

Good?  I personally still have this game fenced behind my personal barrier of disbelief.  This particular game is just going to have to show me, and I'm not from Missouri.

Allerleirauh

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Ungood said:
    Maybe it'll limp across the release line like SotA..  Yea, that'll show em!
    JamesGoblinUngood

Ungood said:
    Of course he'll laugh, the response by the backers as they weigh what is actually delivered vs what was envisioned and promise can only lead to comedy gold.

;)
    Slapshot1188Mendelcraftseeker

Nyctelios said:
    Mendel said:
    Ungood said:

Good?  I personally still have this game fenced behind my personal barrier of disbelief.  This particular game is just going to have to show me, and I'm not from Missouri.

Sarcasm, dude, sarcasm.
    Yep.  Got it.  Replied with hyperbole.

Nyctelios said:
    Mendel said:
    Nyctelios said:
    Mendel said:
    Ungood said:

Sarcasm, dude, sarcasm.
    Yep.  Got it.  Replied with hyperbole.

This is getting too meta.
    That's the nature of CoE promises.

[Deleted User]KylerancraftseekerWaan

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,517
    Yah.. Yup. 100% lit, actually making the game is my bar for success at this point.

and I would laugh my ass off about it, as well all know the biggest haters would be the first beating on the doors to get into the live play.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

Ungood said:
    Yah.. Yup. 100% lit, actually making the game is my bar for success at this point.

and I would laugh my ass off about it, as well all know the biggest haters would be the first beating on the doors to get into the live play.
    Except there really aren't any "haters" here,  but certainly a number of skeptics. 

;)

SpottyGekkoWellspringMadFrenchie[Deleted User]Slapshot1188Mendelcraftseeker

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Kyleran said:
    Except there really aren't any "haters" here,  but certainly a number of skeptics. 

;)

It's probably good that you posted this thread.
    If it had been Slap he would have been accused of being a hater with an agenda again.
    MadFrenchie[Deleted User]KyleranNyteWytchcraftseekerWaan
    Harbinger of Fools
    It would have to receive universal acclaimed for me to be incredibly interested in giving it a try.  Specifically after they've extended the ability to stock up on resources that can be held until the full launch.  Socioeconomic stratification doesn't belong in video games.
    craftseekerGdemami

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    They made it this far. It's more than I'd have given credit for so kudos.......I guess.
    edited June 2018
    Nyctelios said:
    They made it this far. It's more than I'd have given credit for so kudos.......I guess.
    I don't know man.... There was a successful kickstarter for potato salad were the dude wanted some few dollars and raised 8k.

I think there is a huge market for people throwing money at the screen just because.
    Some notable successful projects:

To make a giant inflatable Lionel Richie head (just one, not everybody who funds gets one): $13k raised

Pirate pancake griddle (you only actually got one if you pledged $93, the rest just got a 3D printer file so they could buy a 3D Printer of their own and make one): $18k raised

Project to help some random guy hire a plane to write "OMG I'm flying" and "Tweet me bro" in the sky: $7k raised

Launch a Tardis into space (the Doctor Who phone booth): almost $90k raised.

A person is smart.  People are stupid.

EDIT- Link: https://techcrunch.com/gallery/10-ridiculous-kickstarter-campaigns-people-actually-supported/
    Kyleran[Deleted User]craftseeker

Nyctelios said:
    I don't know man.... There was a successful kickstarter for potato salad were the dude wanted some few dollars and raised 8k.

I think there is a huge market for people throwing money at the screen just because.

To make a giant inflatable Lionel Richie head (just one, not everybody who funds gets one): $13k raised

Pirate pancake griddle (you only actually got one if you pledged $93, the rest just got a 3D printer file so they could buy a 3D Printer of their own and make one): $18k raised

Project to help some random guy hire a plane to write "OMG I'm flying" and "Tweet me bro" in the sky: $7k raised

EDIT- Link: https://techcrunch.com/gallery/10-ridiculous-kickstarter-campaigns-people-actually-supported/
    Nyctelios said:

Those projects were also much good and very wow!
    MadFrenchielahnmirKyleran[Deleted User]

Nyctelios said:

Do I have to restate the Barnum saying, or will it be sufficient enough to use the axiom concerning a fool's ability to retain monetary assets?  Either way, Ha!

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Nyctelios said:

I am sorry but man, these projects are frigging AWESOME!! 

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    ScotSpottyGekkoMadFrenchieGdemami
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

It would have to receive universal acclaimed for me to be incredibly interested in giving it a try.  Specifically after they've extended the ability to stock up on resources that can be held until the full launch.  Socioeconomic stratification doesn't belong in video games.
    Congrats on consuming 12 syllables with just two words. 

;)

MadFrenchie