Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is Firefox such a pile of crap these days?

Comments

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    I've also had some compatibility issues on FF with some websites that apparently do not like it, say a button might not work right, or for instance the web based utility for a router. I end up having to open stuff up in Chrome or Edge.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    You can make a case for Edge, but Internet Exploder was just awful.  It was incredibly slow, and its standards compliance was awful.  Microsoft basically did whatever they wanted, assuming that web sites would have to work to accommodate it because IE had such large market share.  This was back when Microsoft was abusing its monopoly position because Windows was the only widely used computer OS and they didn't have to compete with mobile devices.

It's been a long time, but when I installed IE 5, it caused some severe problems on my computer.  Basically, the computer would lock up for about a second, once per minute or so.  I don't mean IE would lock up; I mean the computer would lock up even if IE wasn't running.  It started the day I installed IE 5 and ended the day I uninstalled it two months later.  Fortunately, I was able to uninstall it successfully; IE 4 was notorious for screwing up computers so badly as to require formatting the hard drive if you wanted to remove it.
    GorwePhrywingood
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Netscape Navigator, the only real browser.  B)
    Phry

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,389
    Been using FF for a long time and while I have had no major issues barring an add on I had to delete, as it was causing my search to redirect to bing, I do find the page loading could be faster...tried Opera before but just couldn't get into it.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    I use Microsoft Edge with ad block. Ads significantly impair Microsoft Edge depending on how old their code is.
    The main reason for Firefox being slow has to do with Google owning the web application development eco-system. They can promote standards that give Chrome better performance while making it worse for their competitors. Unlike Microsoft, Google has this holier than thou image where people put trust into Google. I trust Google about as much as I would trust any telemarketer. Microsoft has a similar benefit for desktop applications.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I trust NO business...period.

I used FF quite a few years back,can't remember why i stopped.Maybe i had some issues,just don't remember.I think was more a case of getting a new PC and it came loaded with Chrome.

I completely forgot about FF but maybe i should take a look,idk though Chrome has seemed to be ok for me.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Funny... I thought I was the only one using Opera.
    GorwePhry
    Harbinger of Fools
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    I was using Firefox but recently it's been a bit of a pain. I installed the latest version and it would keep rolling back to a previous version ie 60.02 to 59.08
    Even when I switched to a different branch, ESR in this case, it would still do it. I purged all files, tried a new profile etc and yet it still rolls back and then tells me there's an upgrade, which it rolls back if I install. Stupid bloody thing :)

So now I'm using Vivaldi more than ever, it's like what Opera used to be.
  • yucklawyersyucklawyers Member UncommonPosts: 240
    It's been happening since Google started financing it. It used to be a superb lightweight browser, but Google threw money at the developers and they turned into a bloated piece of shit making room for Chrome to slip in as *the* lightweight browser.

Firefox still has one thing going for it, the API it opens up to add-ons is far superior than other browsers, meaning add-ons can do far more. I still use it (Pale Moon version of Firefox) for that reason from time to time. If that ever changes, bye bye.
  • JakobmillerJakobmiller Member RarePosts: 674
    I vouche 100% for Firefox these days. Recently moved away from Chrome due to their memory management and Firefox just beats Chrome all day every day. But I do use both at work as a web/system dev.
    sumdumguy1
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    Gorwe said:
    Phry said:
    I used to use Firefox, but lately it has been a bit of a problem, since switching to using Opera things have improved dramatically, i would never consider using a MS browser tbh, nor Chrome for obvious reasons. ;)
    What are these "obvious" reasons?
      The obvious reason would be Google.
    Phry
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    edited June 2018
    Gorwe said:
    Phry said:
    I used to use Firefox, but lately it has been a bit of a problem, since switching to using Opera things have improved dramatically, i would never consider using a MS browser tbh, nor Chrome for obvious reasons. ;)
    I guess that wasn't obvious enough  :p

I also use duckduckgo, same reasons.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Phry said:
    Gorwe said:
    Phry said:

Still not obvious enough, what is "wrong" with Google? 

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Phry said:
    Gorwe said:
    Phry said:

Do you want Google to know everything about your life?  A few years ago, I would have assumed that Google at least wouldn't abuse such information to nearly the extent that Facebook would.

The James Damore incident made me question that assumption.  He used to work for Google.  Due to a political disagreement, some Google employees spread a bunch of slanderous lies about him that culminated in the CEO firing him, basically for heresy.  Some of the stuff that has come out in the aftermath of that makes Google look like the very definition of a hostile work environment, at least if you're not far to the left politically.  If they'll do that to their own employees with the backing of their CEO, how confident are you that they'll never do the same to any of their customers?
    GorwePhryMendel
    Gorwe said:
    Quizzical said:
    Kyleran said:
    Do you want Google to know everything about your life?  A few years ago, I would have assumed that Google at least wouldn't abuse such information to nearly the extent that Facebook would.

The James Damore incident made me question that assumption.  He used to work for Google.  Due to a political disagreement, some Google employees spread a bunch of slanderous lies about him that culminated in the CEO firing him, basically for heresy.  Some of the stuff that has come out in the aftermath of that makes Google look like the very definition of a hostile work environment, at least if you're not far to the left politically.  If they'll do that to their own employees with the backing of their CEO, how confident are you that they'll never do the same to any of their customers?
    This is what I was looking for. Thank you. While I never heard about Damore Incident, but it sounds really nasty. Tbh, it's doubtful whether they'd do such a thing to their users. Because users are often protected by laws several magnitudes stronger than the employees are. I don't know how it's in the US, but this rule generally applies globally. Sadly.
    Suppose that Google had some very embarrassing information on you.  Maybe it's contents of e-mails in Gmail, or location tracking information from an Android phone, or unwise posts made on Google+, your search history on their search engine, or whatever.  But whatever the embarrassing information is, it's private and not publicly accessible.

Would rogue Google employees go off and leak that information to the media?  If you're some random peon whom they've never heard of, then of course not.  But if you're prominent, such as a viable candidate or appointee for some high political office, I wouldn't be shocked if some rogue Google employees did sift through your stuff to see if they could find anything to destroy you.

It's not official Google policy to do that, of course.  If the pending lawsuits go to trial (and Google has powerful incentives to settle, as discovery is likely to be very embarrassing for the company), they'll surely argue that it's against official policy to do what they did to James Damore, as they could face some hefty punitive damages if they don't.  If the harassers had been promptly fired for what they did, it would be one thing.  Regardless of the official policy, for the CEO to side with the instigators of the harassment and fire their target instead will only encourage them to try to also professionally destroy the next person with whom they have a disagreement about politics.

If you do want to seriously look into what happened to James Damore, don't just read political commentary about it.  Go read his original post that lead to the incident, as that's available, too.  Damore's lengthy post was a response to an official (albeit insincere) company request for feedback about some seminar, not an issue that he decided to raise on his own.  And if you read it, don't ask whether you agree with his views; it's completely reasonable to disagree with much of what he said, though his scientific claims are generally accurate.  Rather, ask whether you could state his opinions (not your opinions!) in a significantly milder, more measured, more cautious way than he did.  You can't, which is why the claims that it was some hateful diatribe are slanderous lies.
    [Deleted User]GorwePhry
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    I have noticed this as well.  Over the past few months I have had a plethora of issues with it as has my place of employment.  They switched to chrome and as for me I am debating between a few.  I might go with two different browsers.  While I like google chrome for many things, the fact google makes it scares me. I also like Opera and Vivaldi and going back and forth between them.  I really don't want to use three and two is not ideal, but may be necessary so at the very least, one of them is getting eliminated.  Firefox is definitly out as it Edge for the obvious reasons, so it leaves the three I mentioned above to choose.
    why does it scare you that Google makes it?
    Kyleran

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Plain old Chrome for me.  Nothing exciting, but seems to do well enough.

I self identify as a monkey.

• itsoveritsover Member UncommonPosts: 353
    I been use firefox since the begining, only add on i ever use is adblock plus, never have problem, I dont think I ever use another brower after using firefox for so long. Opera if I feel want old school feeling

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    I have noticed this as well.  Over the past few months I have had a plethora of issues with it as has my place of employment.  They switched to chrome and as for me I am debating between a few.  I might go with two different browsers.  While I like google chrome for many things, the fact google makes it scares me. I also like Opera and Vivaldi and going back and forth between them.  I really don't want to use three and two is not ideal, but may be necessary so at the very least, one of them is getting eliminated.  Firefox is definitly out as it Edge for the obvious reasons, so it leaves the three I mentioned above to choose.
    why does it scare you that Google makes it?
    They can easily get access to all your information through it.  They've been caught before and with their resources its not a far stretch.  It all sounds extreme and like a conspiracy theory until they get caught, which already happened once. 
    psychosiz1
  • psychosiz1psychosiz1 Member UncommonPosts: 200
    I noticed issues with FF as well.  My issues were consistent and I switched to Opera about two months ago.  All the freezing up, page popping, closing pages randomly, non starting FF icons/exe app and error messages have all disappeared and I have not had one problem with Opera.
    Quizzical said:
    Kyleran said:
    Phry said:
    Gorwe said:
    Phry said:

I don't "fear" what Google, the NSA, or Russian Billionaires know about my life, trust me, its just not that interesting.

I live too far under the radar to be concerned. In fact, one might say I'm hiding in plain sight.

[Deleted User]

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Quizzical said:
    Gorwe said:
    Quizzical said:
    Kyleran said:

This is what I was looking for. Thank you. While I never heard about Damore Incident, but it sounds really nasty. Tbh, it's doubtful whether they'd do such a thing to their users. Because users are often protected by laws several magnitudes stronger than the employees are. I don't know how it's in the US, but this rule generally applies globally. Sadly.
    Suppose that Google had some very embarrassing information on you.  Maybe it's contents of e-mails in Gmail, or location tracking information from an Android phone, or unwise posts made on Google+, your search history on their search engine, or whatever.  But whatever the embarrassing information is, it's private and not publicly accessible.

Would rogue Google employees go off and leak that information to the media?  If you're some random peon whom they've never heard of, then of course not.  But if you're prominent, such as a viable candidate or appointee for some high political office, I wouldn't be shocked if some rogue Google employees did sift through your stuff to see if they could find anything to destroy you.

It's not official Google policy to do that, of course.  If the pending lawsuits go to trial (and Google has powerful incentives to settle, as discovery is likely to be very embarrassing for the company), they'll surely argue that it's against official policy to do what they did to James Damore, as they could face some hefty punitive damages if they don't.  If the harassers had been promptly fired for what they did, it would be one thing.  Regardless of the official policy, for the CEO to side with the instigators of the harassment and fire their target instead will only encourage them to try to also professionally destroy the next person with whom they have a disagreement about politics.

If you do want to seriously look into what happened to James Damore, don't just read political commentary about it.  Go read his original post that lead to the incident, as that's available, too.  Damore's lengthy post was a response to an official (albeit insincere) company request for feedback about some seminar, not an issue that he decided to raise on his own.  And if you read it, don't ask whether you agree with his views; it's completely reasonable to disagree with much of what he said, though his scientific claims are generally accurate.  Rather, ask whether you could state his opinions (not your opinions!) in a significantly milder, more measured, more cautious way than he did.  You can't, which is why the claims that it was some hateful diatribe are slanderous lies.
    Can't see a reason to fear such things, it either happens or it doesnt, for most of us this will never be a serious concern.

Unless I want to go off the grid or live under a rock someone, somewhere will always be tracking you.

Best defense of course is to make sure you don't do questionable or embarrassing activities, then there's nothing to be held over you.

[Deleted User]Gorwe

• pri00dampri00dam Member CommonPosts: 3
    edited August 2018
    Chrome is lighter and faster than current Firefox browser versions. That is why I chose Chrome as my default browser. Few years back I was a hardcore fan of Firefox browser but soon they started give newer versions very frequently and most of the firefox fans were frustrated by it. Most of the pluggins became outdated in two weeks due to newer browser version release. That drama kicked-out many fans.  
    https://www.corenetworkz.com/2011/09/why-i-dont-like-rapid-firefox-updates.html
    Post edited by pri00dam on
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    My guess is that it comes down to good old fashioned resources.  Google has the resources it needs to keep Chrome at or near the top.  
    Ridelynn

I self identify as a monkey.

• some-clueless-guysome-clueless-guy Member UncommonPosts: 227
    I noticed issues with FF as well.  My issues were consistent and I switched to Opera about two months ago.  All the freezing up, page popping, closing pages randomly, non starting FF icons/exe app and error messages have all disappeared and I have not had one problem with Opera.
    I switched from Opera to Firefox this week :D (I was tired of Opera replacing my bookmarks in the main page with their "suggestions")

Reading this thread is making me nervous...