Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Another one bites the dust...

aslan132aslan132 Member UncommonPosts: 620
Did not even realize this game was still in development. After more than a decade, they are just now officially calling it quits it seems. It has been so long without any word, I forgot it existed, and had to go back just to read up on what it was they were trying to do, lol. Oh well, none of it matters now.

Seems the announcement went out on facebook, doesnt seem they even put it on their own website yet, unless I missed it. 

Comments

• aslan132aslan132 Member UncommonPosts: 620

"It is with a sad heart that we have to announce that MMO Magic, Inc. has decided to close down current production on Citadel of Sorcery.

The last two years have been hard, with the attempted upgrade of the entire engine and trying to get the planet generating technology to all work together. Bugs have plagued progress and due to that, we have not gotten a single new working build in over a year. After nearly fourteen years in development, all of it without major funding, MMO Magic, Inc. is just not financially able to continue working on CoS.

So, what is the future for this project? Well, Citadel of Sorcery relied on technology from another company, Atlantis3D, Inc. Though they have not been able to get the engine to where it needs to be for CoS, they have made some really amazing elements and progress. They plan to continue working on the Trident3D game engine technology. Should they manage to get it running to a sufficient level for CoS, there is always the possibility of us restarting development on this MMORPG.

Our thanks to those that believed in the game and tried to help, both the Patrons who donated and to the over one hundred Level Designers, Artists, Producers, Writers, Programmers, Composers and Sound Artists who donated their time and money to work on this game, without ever being paid.

You made some amazing progress and worked hard to make this dream come true. Unfortunately, there just weren’t enough believers to get sufficient funding to push this to completion."

https://www.facebook.com/CitadelofSorcery/

Kyleran
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Sad to see this one fail,  even though the writing has been on the walls since the failure of their Kickstarter years ago.

Will be one among many overly ambitious but terribly underfunded MMORPG efforts to wave a sad goodbye.
    Amathe

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• aslan132aslan132 Member UncommonPosts: 620
    Unfortunately thats just the way it works sometimes. Hopefully at least some of the assets may be salvaged and used in other projects. Hate to see hard work go unused. And its more sad for all those who pledged hundreds of dollars and will have nothing to show for it. Always a risk with crowdfunding, and yet the lesson never gets learned. 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited June 2018
    aslan132 said:
    Unfortunately thats just the way it works sometimes. Hopefully at least some of the assets may be salvaged and used in other projects. Hate to see hard work go unused. And its more sad for all those who pledged hundreds of dollars and will have nothing to show for it. Always a risk with crowdfunding, and yet the lesson never gets learned. 
    Their top backers club who reportedly had access to all of the super secret designs and what not started at $1K, bet those folks aren't terribly happy at this point.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon