Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Producer's Letter Announces Server Consolodation - Bless - MMORPG.com

Comments

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Thane said:

Lililune said:

Open World PVP is great!!!

Yeah,yeah...

*laugh like a crazy cat*

well, it actually is. prob being: it ain't easy to pull off and obviously you produce a niche game when going for pvp (most players are plain and simple pve wuzzs)

if mark jacobs fails, i might think about that opinion again, but so far, that's it from me.

give me working. meaningfull pvp and i am in.
    Labels folks with different playstyle preferences derogatory names.

Doesn't realize that's part and parcel to why PvP games are so niche.
    Thane said:

Lililune said:

Yeah,yeah...

*laugh like a crazy cat*

well, it actually is. prob being: it ain't easy to pull off and obviously you produce a niche game when going for pvp (most players are plain and simple pve wuzzs)

if mark jacobs fails, i might think about that opinion again, but so far, that's it from me.

This is 2018. Not 2004. Your niche argument is from 2004. PvP, let’s talk about PUBG, since there was a recent article. In one year it’s sold 50 million, more than all pve centric games combined over the last 5 years. Let’s add in fortenight. Those two together have out sold in one year the entire over centic genre over the past 10.

PvP is where it’s at my friend. Devs know it. That’s why the last few remain dungeon quest guys are getting bless instead of a new western AAA. The pve population world wide is too small or should I say niche to support even 1 AAA. What till pantheon drops. 100k players after 3 months tops. 

The gaming world has changed my friend. 
    Aeander
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • TogneyTogney Member UncommonPosts: 6
    So F2P next month?
  • ChaserzChaserz Member UncommonPosts: 317
    Now Suzie needs to consolidate her spell checkers. ;-)
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,848
    bcbully said:
    This is 2018. Not 2004. Your niche argument is from 2004. PvP, let’s talk about PUBG, since there was a recent article. In one year it’s sold 50 million, more than all pve centric games combined over the last 5 years. Let’s add in fortenight. Those two together have out sold in one year the entire over centic genre over the past 10.

PvP is where it’s at my friend. Devs know it. That’s why the last few remain dungeon quest guys are getting bless instead of a new western AAA. The pve population world wide is too small or should I say niche to support even 1 AAA. What till pantheon drops. 100k players after 3 months tops. 

Why is it that EVERY time some one is talking about PvP in MMOs some one always brings up some popular shooter as an example of how much everyone loves PvP so freaking much.

MMO PvP and shooter PvP isnt comparable in any way. In PUBG or Fortnite you load into a match, you shoot some people, you die or win, then you move to the next match.
    In MMO PvP you level up your character through the most boring PvE grind possible, you get the best gear that RNG affords you and then you get ganked while trying to decipher which sword has the best stats based on a spreadsheet.

PUBG and Fortnite are so popular because the PvP people dont want any of the boring, awful crap that makes an MMO an MMO. They just want to get into a game and start shooting people in the face as fast as possible.

This argument just as tired and predictable as PvP in MMOs.
    craftseekerAeander
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited June 2018
    Xiaoki said:
    bcbully said:

Why is it that EVERY time some one is talking about PvP in MMOs some one always brings up some popular shooter as an example of how much everyone loves PvP so freaking much.

MMO PvP and shooter PvP isnt comparable in any way. In PUBG or Fortnite you load into a match, you shoot some people, you die or win, then you move to the next match.
    In MMO PvP you level up your character through the most boring PvE grind possible, you get the best gear that RNG affords you and then you get ganked while trying to decipher which sword has the best stats based on a spreadsheet.

PUBG and Fortnite are so popular because the PvP people dont want any of the boring, awful crap that makes an MMO an MMO. They just want to get into a game and start shooting people in the face as fast as possible.

Yea, I get my PvP fix in games that are laser-focused on it because small-team or free-for-all PvP will always be vastly superior in titles focused exclusively on it than they are in an MMORPG.

Using a game that's wholly PvP as an example of how MMORPGs can only be successful focused on the same doesn't really follow.  In fact, I would go so far as to say the availability of titles like PUBG and Overwatch ensure that PvP-focused MMORPGs will remain niche.  The ones we do have in the hopper are all focused on large-scale PvP for a reason.  That's an experience you can't get in a game like Overwatch or a MOBA.  And all of this is ignoring another reason PvP has become popular: it's much cheaper to create an arena and let the players themselves be the content than it is to hand-craft PvE content.
    Aeander

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    The game is playable if you're heavily medicated while wearing a helmet.
    UngoodDakeruJeroKane

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064

Leiloni said:

I'm not sure why all the hate. They originally only planned on 3 NA servers and 2 EU at EA launch and that's what they initially came out with. But due to all the player generated hype, far more people bought the game than they had expected, so they opened up a few temporary servers to handle the influx. Most players knew it wouldn't last and now they're going to go down to what they had originally planned.

Also remember the game is still in development, so it's expected at this stage of the game that you'd have less players. Not many players, myself included, enjoy games with expected bugs, imbalances, and lack of content. It's of course to be expected, but most will wait for official launch.

So this is just status quo news I think. I know for those on the less populated servers it's going to be a welcome change.

Let me help you understand all the hate.....the game is a cash grabbing piece of shit.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    The game is playable if you're heavily medicated while wearing a helmet.
    What if I just like to beat myself in the head with a hammer.. is it still playable, or do I need to head back to Trove?
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    bcbully said:
    Thane said:

Lililune said:

Yeah,yeah...

*laugh like a crazy cat*

Thane said:

Lililune said:

Yeah,yeah...

*laugh like a crazy cat*

Your argument is that people love instanced PvP and its definitely true. When instanced PvP came to mmorpg players immediately began ignoring OWPvP.
    [Deleted User]
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    edited June 2018
    Bringing in examples of PUBG will not help to prove a point. There is a very big difference from a game where you create a character and spends hours and hours collecting resources or running dungeons to get equipment and levelling from where you hop in and kill people with very little time spent on actually developing your character. You don't actually live in the world as you do in games like Everquest or World of Warcraft or even Lord of the Rings Online. 

Games where you have sunk inordinate amount of time to get gear will not generally appreciate PvP that allows people to kill and loot your corpse. However popular open PvP may be in a game where you can just log on and immediately set about killing other players it cannot be used as a base from which to judge that MMORPGs will have similar success with that gameplay.

You have to allow for gear to be easily obtained and not having spent a better part of 6 months or parting with an arm and leg in game terms to obtain. Gear like that if lost will not endear a game to the player base instead people will quit in frustration. The quitting in frustration is what you normally see on servers with open PvP rulesets in a game where obtaining upgrades is hard and time consuming, the remaining population enjoy and understand the pitfalls and are comfortable with those losses. Don't expect many players to feel similarly.

I really cannot understand or perhaps it is just deliberate obfuscation that would equate the PvP in games like League of Legends or PUBG to what playing under those rules are like in a typical MMORPG with huge time sinks and gear grinds.
    JeroKane

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Xiaoki said:
    bcbully said:

Right. The only real experiences that PVP MMOs have left to offer that can't/haven't been done better and more accessibly in non-MMOs are Realm vs. Realm and Guild vs. Guild/Castle Sieges. 

That's why for all of the talk of Black Desert being a successful OWPvP MMO, the only real pulls the game offers are its territory wars and castle sieges. Barely anyone bothers with open world ganking in Black Desert - because it's boring, meaningless, and comes with high penalties. 

Unfortunately, MMOs lost sight of the RvR and GvG mechanics which made their PvP experience worthwhile in the first place. Having factions and/or guilds to identify with is the bread and butter of competition in a social genre like this.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited June 2018
    Is this game really that bad?
    Haven't played it.....probably won't

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Players are so desperate for a decent MMO that they will try anything.
  • MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,512
    shame!

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• MadCoderOneMadCoderOne Member UncommonPosts: 220
    forced PVP = f'n stupid and I wont even try it
  • ray12kray12k Member UncommonPosts: 487
    Lol this thread is funny.... Carebears crying about pvp... Pvp mmorpgs/mmos are the biggest money makers(check the data). Most people don't play a game just to prance around in gear and fight brain dead npc's... IMO carebears are killing the genre. 
    MadFrenchieAllerleirauhAeanderShaighAlbatroeswingoodcraftseekerPhryKyleran
  • BrunlinBrunlin Member UncommonPosts: 79
    edited June 2018
      This game inevitable demise, has less to do with its open world pvp, and more to do with it poor optimization, bad code, and poor communication skills by the game company. 

There is a sizable niche for open world pvp...so im not sure why care-bears complained? You have your games, we would like ours..One day we will get a good Eve-like-but -fantasy-sandbox that isnt pay to win or badly optimized and coded....come on AOC...dont let us down.
    Leiloni

If at first you don’t succeed, call it version 1.0

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Brunlin said:
      This game inevitable demise, has less to do with its open world pvp, and more to do with it poor optimization, bad code, and poor communication skills by the game company. 

There is a sizable niche for open world pvp...so im not sure why care-bears complained? You have your games, we would like ours..One day we will get a good Eve-like-but -fantasy-sandbox that isnt pay to win or badly optimized and coded....come on AOC...dont let us down.
    I would put my money on CU rather than AoC, if I were you.  Not knocking AoC, but MJ has been a pretty damn open developer for CU and has immense experience to apply, both with things that worked and things that didn't.

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498
    "Consolodation"
    LOL, from the title. At least the article gets it right.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    ray12k said:
    Lol this thread is funny.... Carebears crying about pvp... Pvp mmorpgs/mmos are the biggest money makers(check the data). Most people don't play a game just to prance around in gear and fight brain dead npc's... IMO carebears are killing the genre. 
    Which PvP MMORPG are you talking about .The money maker you mentioned and please don't name an MMO but an MMORPG.
    wingoodcraftseeker

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Sovrath said:
    cheyane said:
    Open PvP is horrible but hey keep making these games I'm sure it will sink in one day.
    If I go to "The Cheesecake factory and have a piece of cheesecake it's going to be "meh."

If I go to Denny's and have a piece of their cheesecake it's going to be bad.

If I go to the supermarket and buy one of the various frozen cheesecakes they are going to range from meh to bad.

So they should learn and stop making cheesecake!

Oh wait, I could just go to "Two Little Red Hens" or "Eileens" or Juniors in New York and actually have a good piece of cheesecake.

If you are going to judge an open pvp game then pick a game that is considered the quintessential great pvp game.

Open pvp is absolutely fine. In a game that can handle it.

Great!! Now I want cheesecake!

I self identify as a monkey.

• SeriphamSephirothSeriphamSephiroth Member CommonPosts: 2
    In reply to this "Got to love all the haters on here. They had a massive amount of people join quickly so they added new servers now that the Hyde has died and the hard core pvp/pvers left due to it not being all that great the multitude of servers is not needed. Hell look at aion it has 3 servers. And it's still going strong. I think in a little bit if time this MMO will improve if not then there will be private servers eventually. "

Aion had multiple servers for a longer period of time than bless did. It had 4 servers for the longest stretch (Tiamat, Israphel, Karhun, Seil) and even added a 5th server that lasted for about 2 years (Beritra). Ncsoft only consolidated Aion to 2 servers very recently (It never had 3 at any point in my memory) Bless is going down hill FAST. There is really no comparison between Bless and Aion. Aion is even getting massive re-vamps at the moment.
  • xion12121xion12121 Member UncommonPosts: 199
    Last week all I read was "OMG merge servers already, so and so server is dead".....They plan a merge and this week its...well this!
    Yah but the problem is that the server merges are not immediate. They have it planned to do server merges at the end of July 2018. That''s about one month from now, by then the population will be dead. well it already is partially dead, but yah if they wait till the end of July to merges servers that's the nail in the coffin.

I would give you a guest pass to SWOTR, but then I wouldn't be able to find a way to live with myself afterwards....

• UnbinoUnbino Member UncommonPosts: 34

Rhoklaw said:

Mikeha said:

Albatroes said:

Mikeha said:

Tokken said:

Mikeha said:

Black Desert has open world pvp and is a highly successful recently released mmo.

Open World PVP is not the problem so stop trying to blame it you Care Bears!

BDO has open pvp once you hit a certain level I believe..... the care bears are safe until then.

Same with Bless. Open world pvp does not begin until level 35 from what I understand. Really I can not remember the last game that had open world pvp from the start. 

BDO's open world pvp is 'successful' because of the karma system which makes it pointless and even a hinderance to people who partake in OW Pvp, so its like comparing apples to oranges.

I am not comparing anything, 

What I am saying is that Open World PVP is not a bad feature to have in a game. People think any game with Open World PVP will fail because it has Open World PVP. I will always disagree with that. Its all about how Open World PVP is done.  Black Desert is a true example of a recently released Open World PVP game thats successful regardless of how anybody believes why. 

Black Desert's open world pvp is a success because it is a part of a really good game. 

As someone already pointed out to you, BDO is not really as OWPvP as you think. At first, it was level 45 and now it's level 50 that one is able to PvP. I'm sure you knew this though before claiming BDO as being truly an OWPvP game. Even Bless Online isn't truly an OWPvP game, because it isn't until level 30-35+ before you are forced into PvP zones to continue leveling. However, during my leveling experience, all I encountered were higher level players ganking me while I was questing. That pretty much sums up the extent of what OWPvP entails. People with higher level characters preying on those trying to enjoy the PvE aspects of the game.

You want to know why they are consolidating the servers? Because anyone that got the game to enjoy the PvE aspects has left, or at least a majority of them. Which means the majority of people left playing are the ones who enjoy PvP and guess what, PvP players can't stand other PvP players because they present fair fights. Eventually, the weaker or less skilled PvPers will leave until the only ones left playing are card swiping whales and the 1% of elitists who are actually good at PvP.

Absolutly agree. Games with an open World pvp have died ,or have a very population. However, Games like Wow ,or FF14 are the most playeds.
    There are ppl Who like and enjoy pvp in a mmo, but you cant force ppl to do pvp. There are other Games for that, or Best said, other gender of Games.
    craftseeker
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Could have put an actual bet on it and get the moneys worth out of the game since it would have been a guaranteed return.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.