Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Eve people need to start logging in

Comments

• EhliyaEhliya Member UncommonPosts: 223
    I never tried EVE because I heard the community was so toxic.  I don't mind risk or dying or loss.  But it is no fun to play a game where the veterans see their mission as driving off the newcomer.  Seen it happen in many a PVP focused game even though it is obviously in everyone's rational interest in having high populations.  EVE must have a very good core game to have avoided the death spiral this long.  No real solution, as there will always be the toxic no-lifers. 
    SmileHyenadonPhryGdemamiAnskier
  • KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608
    Ehliya said:
    I never tried EVE because I heard the community was so toxic.  I don't mind risk or dying or loss.  But it is no fun to play a game where the veterans see their mission as driving off the newcomer.  Seen it happen in many a PVP focused game even though it is obviously in everyone's rational interest in having high populations.  EVE must have a very good core game to have avoided the death spiral this long.  No real solution, as there will always be the toxic no-lifers. 
    Going to a particular game forum to insult the community despite not having ever played the game... Now that's toxic.

PhryGdemami

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I think An Eve Devs would probably put it differently and say, "Eve has many aspects of play.  First do your research and find a good Corp that specializes in training new players (you can find them on the forums). When they turn you lose in the universe you will be well trained and have corp. mates to do stuff with."  Telling players to just find another game doesn't do the game much good and I'm sure the Devs cringe when they see that suggestion being offered, imo.

The games not for everyone true because it's a game you can't just jump into and take your chances.  You have to do heavy research first and spend a lot of time reading different forums to understand the dynamics of the game, or have an experienced player show you the ropes.  The Devs should really beef up high sec security if they want new players to just be able to jump in. 
    Kyleran

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

@Octagon7711 If the price to pay for more players to join the game is to change the rules of the game entirely then yes, they can go play something else. EVE is fine the way it is, and there are lots of resources, corporations and alliances for brand new players to join. For those willing to play EVE, that is, not for people asking for a different game altogether.
    Kyleran

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

Krematory said:
    @Octagon7711 If the price to pay for more players to join the game is to change the rules of the game entirely then yes, they can go play something else. EVE is fine the way it is, and there are lots of resources, corporations and alliances for brand new players to join. For those willing to play EVE, that is, not for people asking for a different game altogether.
    Actually, if they did change the rules I'd love to see PvE only zones or even a PvE server.
    Gdemami

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

@Octagon7711 Yeah, I don't think there's anything else able to kill EVE faster than a PVE server lol
    KyleranPhry

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Times are changing and so will Eve, pve servers will come or game will go free to play. ie: Die
    KyleranGyva02PhryGdemami
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • summerstringssummerstrings Member UncommonPosts: 76
    EVE is a game I always fancied trying but I have heard so many bad things about the community from friends that have played it that it just put me off . Half of the reason I play mmos is that I like the social aspect . 
    Gdemami
  • hyllyhhyllyh Member UncommonPosts: 477
    pve only zone exist: abyss
    toxic communauty? wow, if you dont know how many channel are in this game than jiat local..., yes you have to search a bit.
    about the content: try to finish it and i think all the players applaude you for a week! (you can explode your cb to max skill a toon, if you're not good, it never help)
    about population: there's always someone somewher in the end of space to try to pew pew you if he find you)
    finally, it's the most complete sandbox for me, i never found a better market place, manufacturing all you can use in game, all have an use, really! pve in a wh or in risky place so best reward and friends meet from all over the world (except china) with nice exchange... and pvp! the moment you undock, you can have the chance to return full of loot or just... never return :)
    now, add it with some nice rpg game on side or fps, a cardgame maybe and eve will be the game on your side for a moment (not just 5 days as bless (lol) per example)
    Krematory
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Elsabolts said:
    Times are changing and so will Eve, pve servers will come or game will go free to play. ie: Die
    Considering that, if it died today, it would've been a 15 year run, I would consider it a hugely successful MMORPG that simply ran its course.

I would also advise CCP to consider creating a spiritual successor, because it's obvious that game filled a niche that no other game in the genre was able to fill so successfully.
    KrematoryKyleranPhryGdemami

EVE is a game I always fancied trying but I have heard so many bad things about the community from friends that have played it that it just put me off . Half of the reason I play mmos is that I like the social aspect . 
    Like I said earlier, just do your homework and you'll be fine.  Find a corp that's good at training new people and they will guide you.  It's a fun game which I played for years and ended up with three accounts and I'm not really into PvP.

• EhliyaEhliya Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Krematory said:
    Ehliya said:
    Going to a particular game forum to insult the community despite not having ever played the game... Now that's toxic.

I am just repeating what I was told by people who I asked who had tried it.  Obviously EVE has its good points or it wouldn't have been so successful for so many years.  But I am hardly the first one to have remarked on the poor reputation is has for new players.   This is a challenge for any open world PVP game, which is why after EVE there have been so few like it.  Instead we have more arena/battleground type games which separate PVE and PVP.  Some promising games in the near future like Crowfall, maybe they will solve the puzzle.  But I don't see how progress can be made if you don't honestly assess the new players issue.
    TokkenPhryGdemamiAnskier
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Eve has no real population issues. Last time I tried it (last month) it had more than 12k on at a time every time I logged in.

That's pretty damn good, for a one server game, that has as high of a barrier of entry as it does. 

I feel like I would love this game, but I just can't get into it. I've tried so many times, and it just never hooks me. It might be how slow everything is, but the ideas it has are great. 
    Ehliya said:
    But I don't see how progress can be made if you don't honestly assess the new players issue.
    Maybe there's no progress to be made whatsoever. EVE is old and it's going to die eventually, but there's a decent amount of people that enjoy the game for what it has always been. If you take that away there's really no other game where those players can get the same kind of experience.
    For me that's like saying that heavy metal needs more latino rythms to attract more listeners to the genre.

It's ok if you don't like EVE. In fact, it's ok if most people don't like it. EVE is there to satisfy a niche market, and it's doing it's job quite good despite all CCP's f*ckups. There are plenty of games with the kind of ruleset you seem to want in a game, so why ask EVE to be something that's already out there?
    Phry

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Elsabolts said:
    As previously discussed, this likely never will happen.

It would make far more sense to just flip certain high sec systems, say Security status .9 and 1.0 to places players can't be attacked by another player.  

Limit the rewards a bit and there you go, instant safe PVE while keeping players in the same universe.
    DrunkWolfGdemami

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    Elsabolts said:
    Eve lives until Star Citizen comes out.
    now let's not get tooooo crazy!
    MadFrenchieKrematoryPhry
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    A few years ago Eve was hitting peak 30+ concurrent users, 21k just before downtime, and then would hover again around 21k after downtime till peak.

A year ago it was 30+ concurrent in peak, 16 before downtime, and then go back around 21k till peak time hit again.

Now its 12k after downtime........

Anecdotal is anecdotal. In before the next expansion and people go look at all the numbers. FYI, they pretty much seem to have lost all they players they gained when they went F2P-ish. CCP seems to be back to the trickle of new players and the same bitter vets as before. Who aren't even playing that much themselves.

As per the last war, Eve needs RMT to generate excitement and conflict. Bring back gambling and RMT.
    This is too funny.  All the complaining and outcry to legislate gambling in video games, and here is a cry to bring it back because numbers are dropping.  Goes to show the diversity in sentiment.  That's why we need pvp, pve, battle Royale, tab targeting, skill, etc.  Instead of trying to close down things, like gambling, it would be better to encourage diverse monetary systems.

I self identify as a monkey.

• DijonCyanideDijonCyanide Member UncommonPosts: 586
    Krematory said:
    Ehliya said:

That "Ehliya" stated he/she "heard".  It is part of a method in the decision making process gathering the best information you can sift through it then decide.  The only part directly applied to EVE was when mentioning the "death spiral".

Krematory said:
    @Octagon7711 Yeah, I don't think there's anything else able to kill EVE faster than a PVE server lol
    I agree with "Octagon7711" here, I'd luv to participate in a PvE EVE server & I don't think it would cause EVE's death, but since I'm not a fan of PvPing I don't play EVE a lot.  At least that way, PvE, I wouldn't feel it is a detrimental risk investing real-money into the game to progress my character & it's not taking away from those that want to PvP grief.

Just reading Krematory's responses to others' posts tells me a bit more about EVE & some of it's community.  There are some that might be passionate about EVE & that's great, but also some EVE players that definitely seem hostile towards others.  I don't think the few times I log-in per month I've seen really low populations however, but I just log-in to look around a bit since I think the game looks gorgeous.

Gdemami
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    klash2def said:
    Elsabolts said:
    Eve lives until Star Citizen comes out.
    now let's not get tooooo crazy!
    Well I dunno. EVE living to 2077 sounds like great success to me.
    Phry

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• Gyva02Gyva02 Member RarePosts: 499
    Been loving EVE lately. I finally gave it the time it deserved and have learned quite a bit the last few months. Recently just came across this video, It's basically a movie put together by a corp leader that shows how a spy tip led to the destruction of an opposing corporation. Pretty fun to watch if anyone is hanging on the fence about trying this game. It kinda gives you a glimpse of some of this things that are possible to do in EVE. I really liked it :) 

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited June 2018
    As much as people complain about it, I've given EVE a try 4-5 times over the years and I've never been ganked.  I don't even remember ever seeing PvP, let alone being forced to participate in it. /shrug

I was ganked exponentially more times by level ?? Horde while leveling in WoW, and those players get absolutely nothing for it.
    KyleranKrematory

• DijonCyanideDijonCyanide Member UncommonPosts: 586
    I still remember reading about an article, I think it was just a few years after EVE initially released, where someone got caught sort of insider-trading where an actual EVE employee was helping some mega corporation in the game against the others corps.  It was quite the stink.  I do enjoy reading articles about how those mega corps battle each other & those big massive ships get destroyed in marathon battles though.  I'm not sure if any other game has something similar like that besides EVE?
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Gyva02 said:
    Been loving EVE lately. I finally gave it the time it deserved and have learned quite a bit the last few months. Recently just came across this video, It's basically a movie put together by a corp leader that shows how a spy tip led to the destruction of an opposing corporation. Pretty fun to watch if anyone is hanging on the fence about trying this game. It kinda gives you a glimpse of some of this things that are possible to do in EVE. I really liked it :) 

I think they will be hard pressed to beat 'Clear Skies'  ;)
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    Problem with EVE is they ditched the whole Space Station 3D Character project...

Then they restricted Multi-Plexing / KVM Switches from multiple accounts...

Impossible to play without multiple accounts really solo.
    Gdemami
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    I still remember reading about an article, I think it was just a few years after EVE initially released, where someone got caught sort of insider-trading where an actual EVE employee was helping some mega corporation in the game against the others corps.  It was quite the stink.  I do enjoy reading articles about how those mega corps battle each other & those big massive ships get destroyed in marathon battles though.  I'm not sure if any other game has something similar like that besides EVE?
    Ah yes, the infamous BOB BPO scandal. In fact it was reports about it on this site which intrigued me enough to give it a try over 10 years ago.

Still playing to this day.  Even bad press can be a good thing sometimes.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon