Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is Firefox such a pile of crap these days?

TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
Seriously, Firefox used to be a top notch browser at one time, now it runs like crap, consumes mass amounts of memory, is slower than almost all browsers. And don't get me started on the mobile version that crashes constantly, doesn't update sync and is just in general a pain to use. I have other browsers, but for some reason it's hard to drag myself away since I've been using it for years. Someone tell me it's OK to leave Firefox for good. xD What are you all using?
SWG Bloodfin vet
Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Comments

• InterwebzAlienInterwebzAlien Member UncommonPosts: 3
    I use Edge, but I don't have any need for lots of addons
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited June 2018
    I'm using chrome + ublock origin (for ads, other adblockers get paid to let ads "slip through) + scriptsafe.

Scriptsafe is cool cause you can view sites that are disabled if you use an adblocker and can view the site anyway. Plus you will never see a youtube ad again. You can also disable google analytics script so they have a harder time tracking you. And scriptsafe is also great at securing your browser from rogue ads, and nasty virus filled websites (usually fake spam sites from clicking on a link) that you might accidentally visit.

And ublock origin is pretty much adblocker, but actually legit and worth using.

Annoying thing with scriptsafe is gotta unblock scripts to visit every site. I don't care though, but a lot might. I'd rather have a much safer browser with no ads as a bonus lol.
    TillerBlaze_RockerGorweWaan

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• ananitananit Member RarePosts: 293
    switched to opera 6 months ago, haven't regretted it since.
    faster, lighter (and not owned by google) than the rest of the browsers i tried.
    comes with integrated adblocker and anti-cryptominer and i can run the addons i used with chrome before (ffz and bttv for twitch).
    and the mobile browser runs smoother than mobile chrome for me.
    NephethPhryThupli
  • NephethNepheth Member RarePosts: 473
    edited June 2018
    I'm using Opera for years and I can't use any other browser since then. It is clean, fast and runs very smooth. And its new mobile browser Opera Touch is the best mobile browser I've ever used till now. It is amazingly fast, I can use it with only one hand on my P20 and my flow feature is very useful.
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    edited June 2018
    Which version of Firefox are you using? It's just been rebuilt from the ground up and a lot of reviewers have it firmly in the number one spot.

I'd check your version and make sure you're up to date with 60.0.2.

Edit:
    I'm using Firefox and I have no issues at all, runs fine.
    Avanah[Deleted User]
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Chrome these days. Before that I used a good bit of Safari.

Every year or so I go do another round of browser testing. I keep trying Firefox, but it just has never clicked with me for some reason. 
    [Deleted User]
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Iv been using the Big E on the bottom of my taskbar for over 20 years
    Velifax
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    I used to use Firefox, but lately it has been a bit of a problem, since switching to using Opera things have improved dramatically, i would never consider using a MS browser tbh, nor Chrome for obvious reasons. ;)
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    i switched to my old firefox the new 1 was lacking tons of things, i guess i will give it a try someday if addons work now , i use FF on mobile and 0 issues
  • rertezrertez Member UncommonPosts: 230
    edited June 2018
    I've been using Firefox (Mozilla) too. Lately it's been a mixed bag for me. Generally it's been a nice browser for the past 15 years or so but some builds have very annoying problems indeed. Especially in the past 1-2 years. Sometimes these stability and preformance issues persist through a couple of patches but they do go away eventually.

The other browsers I use in many cases are Chrome and Chromium. They've been resource hogs but generally very compatible and stable with numerous websites being open in numerous tabs at once. I like to keep many tabs open at all times.

I try not to use any addons since they usually affect stability and performance. At least cut addons to a bare minimum. I completely quit using the Adobe Flash plugin since it's been a source of various problems and it's not really required anymore. I have it installed but disabled.

Edit: I have to say that in many cases it's just certain websites that cause my browsers freak out.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,350
    Because it is not Opera.

https://www.opera.com/download

You're welcome.

I haven't had a need to switch browsers since 2001, other than the occasional check to verify that a site is just broken entirely, rather than having some particular incompatibility.  Opera was the only browser that ran well on the computer I had in 2001, as Netscape had fallen apart by then, Internet Exploder was always awful, and Firefox and Chrome didn't yet exist.  And Opera hasn't given me any reason to switch away since then.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Opera, never going back to FF.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I use Firefox and Chrome sometimes.  There are a few rare sites that appear setup for Internet explorer or Edge only.  NoScript is good but you have to take time and configure for every new site you go to.  Ublock, Privacy Badger, HTTPS Everywhere, are good. Cloudflare DNS service is pretty good also.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I'm using Yandex.  It seems to do well enough for me.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    I had used FireFox up to the point they started shoving "recomendations" with that crappy "Pocket"

I have huge issues when I am on "my turf" and another company feels they can waltz in and give me "recomendations" - looking at you Windows 10 and why I had to, at 3 am, make it my mission to shut down Cortana and those movie recomendations that started appearing. Ok rant over ...

I went to Waterfox for a bit.

I don't know when I went back to FireFox but I discovered "Pocket" could be turned off and it was faster than when I left it (it being slow and constantly crashing was a thing for me too).

Now it doesn't crash and is faster. If only they can get their knucklehad developers to realize that it's ok to have more than 16 icons for my top sites and if they are going to autopopulate them then they need to figure out a better way to have me remove "google" as a top size ony to then replace it with another instance of "google."

I tried Opera before but didn't think it was any faster and I think I had some other issues with it on certain sites. Might have been streaming sites and their player, can't remember.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Often the culprit is an out of date add-on or just a crappy one. Might want to check that before switching browsers.
    Newest Firefox 60.0.2 works like a charm for me. I also run uBlock Origin and noScript.
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    Why can't I download Opera on my kindle fire?  Says unavailable...
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Chrome is decent

MS Edge is surprisingly fast but opinionated and intrusive at times

It's sad to see Mozilla tumble with Firefox considering how forward and helpful they are on the developer side. They hopefully have something new in the works.

Chrome and Firefox seem to be the best browsers because the others lag behind when it comes to adaptation of new/cool web tech.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Chrome for me these days.  I've long since given up on having any privacy (having gmail accounts and an android phone already) and have accepted that Google is going to know everything I do, lol.  On the rare occasion I need to browse a site with suspect content I'll use Private Internet Access with Firefox or IE.
    Incognito mode doesn't work for you in Chrome? That's what I typically do.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Chrome for me these days.  I've long since given up on having any privacy (having gmail accounts and an android phone already) and have accepted that Google is going to know everything I do, lol.  On the rare occasion I need to browse a site with suspect content I'll use Private Internet Access with Firefox or IE.
    Incognito mode doesn't work for you in Chrome? That's what I typically do.
    Just don't forget the warning on the home page when you launch the Incognito Tab: it won't protect you from someone standing behind you looking over your shoulder! (That warning gives me a good chuckle)

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401
    I used  Firefox untill 8-9 months ago that i changed to Edge, Firefox used to be great...but it gave me so much problems lately...slow loads...java not working properly...etc
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    edited June 2018
    Another shoutout for Opera with content blocker together with no script suite but I piled on all the script safe stuff and other blocks and use Firefox when I want to shop online. I try to use the Microsoft browser as little as possible if I can help it.
    Chamber of Chains
  • bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    Heh I just posted this in another thread, I'll post it here too:

"I use Firefox with Ghostery, ABP and uMatrix and I don't see anything that I don't choose to see."

I have used Firefox for years and have never had any issues. YMMV I guess.

Kyleran[Deleted User]

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    edited June 2018
    I have 60.0.2 and it keeps half loading pages now - it fills them with black for a while then loads.

I've been unhappy with FF for a long time but havent switched.  my addons are adblock plus and noscript
  • sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    edited June 2018
    I have noticed this as well.  Over the past few months I have had a plethora of issues with it as has my place of employment.  They switched to chrome and as for me I am debating between a few.  I might go with two different browsers.  While I like google chrome for many things, the fact google makes it scares me. I also like Opera and Vivaldi and going back and forth between them.  I really don't want to use three and two is not ideal, but may be necessary so at the very least, one of them is getting eliminated.  Firefox is definitly out as it Edge for the obvious reasons, so it leaves the three I mentioned above to choose.