Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CPU doing all the work?

danx30danx30 Member UncommonPosts: 10
I have a i7-8700k cpu and a 1080ti gpu.  However when I run any game with even moderate graphics it seems that the CPU is doing all the work, heats up and my liquid cooling fan and pump go into overdrive and make a ton of noise.  Even running something like Conan Exiles, after a few minutes my cpu cooling system is out of control trying to keep the cpu cool.  Shouldn't the 1080ti be enough to handle the burden of the graphics without using so much cpu power?

My drivers are all up to date.  Maybe a setting somewhere?

Comments

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited June 2018
    First, check that you've plugged your monitor to your GPU's output port, not to motherboard's output port. If you plug monitor to motherboard then you're bypassing the GPU completely and integrated GPU on your CPU has to do all its work.

Assuming that the monitor is plugged in to correct port, then check problem game's settings. Try to find setting called "Frame Rate Limiter", and set it to enabled. Games may also call this setting Max FPS, FPS cap, Frame Rate Cap, or something similar. If your frame rate is not limited, then your computer is calculating as many frames as possibly (even beyond your monitor's ability to display them), and working as hard as it can. This is not an error, it's intended design. But in many games you can keep the volume down by enabling the Frame Rate Limiter and thus having the game limit the amount of work done by your GPU and CPU instead of using maximum resources available.

If the liquid cooling is making a lot of noise, you might also want to check if it's installed correctly, working correctly, and the settings are correct. If it's not working properly, or if it's trying to keep your CPU cooler than necessary, something like that could create a lot of extra noise needlessly.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    edited June 2018
    My guess - CPU cooler isn't installed correctly.

You would definitely notice if the CPU were doing the graphics - it would run like a slide show, with the absolute minimum of detail on really low settings.  It's an either/or thing - either the CPU is doing the graphics internally, or the 1080Ti is doing the graphics. They won't share or only do part way.

Where did you buy the computer at?

What does Task Manager and/or Resource Monitor say when you are trying to do something - it will show % loads for CPU/GPU/etc. You would need a different app to show temps, but that would be a really good idea in your situation.
  • danx30danx30 Member UncommonPosts: 10
    The cooler is installed correctly and I can view the info with the corsair link info (H100i v2) from the task bar to show how fast the pump and fan are working.  Normally they are running slow and quiet and the temps are fine.  But as soon as something that has more moderate graphics they ramp up so fast it starts making a lot of noise.  

I built the computer and upgraded over the years, wasn't a store bought pc.  It does the same thing if I use my htc vive headset.  Everything looks and plays just fine, it's just the noise from the fans ramping up so high that bothers me.  

The frame rate limiter sounds like it could be the reason, but if it's application specific and I have the same issue on multiple games, I doubt every game I've played has that option.  Maybe a global max fps setting in the NVidia settings (if there is one), or a 3rd party program could resolve it.
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    edited June 2018
    Replace the thermal paste on your CPU. Make sure the coolant pump is working correctly.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
    Grunty said:
    Replace the thermal paste on your CPU

I've done that as well.  I'm currently running BDO and the cpu usage is 19%, gpu 22%, and the fan has sped up to 2700rpm and the pump 1800 and I can hear it pretty good now, not as loud as it gets sometimes, a few more minutes and I'm sure it would get louder.  I'll try checking my cpu paste and replacing it again.
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Too much thermal paste is as bad as not enough.
    Ozmodan
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
    I changed out the thermal paste and have an idle temp still hanging around 43c.  However I noticed that the cpu load stays near 0% at idle but then jumps to around 60% for a minute or two, then back down to 0% again.  Now I'm thinking maybe a software issue, virus, something like that.  Probably some kind of crypto mining malware.  Ugh.  Gonna run some scans next.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    A game will decide what work gets done on a CPU and what gets done on a GPU.  If a game that is intended to use a GPU can't find one, it won't just use a CPU instead.  It won't run at all.

That sure sounds like something about your CPU cooling system is done wrong.  It could be not physically connected properly, causing it to run too hot.  It could be improperly configured so that it turns the fan way up when it shouldn't.  It could be something misreporting the temperature entirely.  But 43 C at idle is way, way too hot for a modern CPU unless the ambient temperature is really high.
    I ran a malware scan and did find some problems, including bitcoin miners, they were all removed.  However the cpu still idles at 43c.  I replaced the thermal paste and everything is connected right.  

I'm not sure what to try next.  
    edited June 2018
    Pull the CPU sink off entirely. Take it all the way out of the computer.

Take the fans off and blow the radiator out - may even run that part under water to get it clean.

Strip the old thermal paste off of everything - the water block and the CPU. Everything needs to be pristine clean. New thermal paste - it goes on as thin as you can get it and even, like melted butter on toast -- not like peanut butter on PB&J.

Put it all back toghether. If your idle temp is still over 35C (and do make sure your idle - Task Manager should be showing <5% utilization and very likely should also be at a very low clock speed), and the pump claims it’s running and the fans are spinning - then your 100i is bad and needs to be replaced. Intel chips will idle <35C on stock HSFs, and should be running much closer to 30C on a AIO water cooler.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Ridelynn said:

Take the fans off and blow the radiator out - may even run that part under water to get it clean.

Strip the old thermal paste off of everything - the water block and the CPU. Everything needs to be pristine clean. New thermal paste - it goes on as thin as you can get it and even, like melted butter on toast -- not like peanut butter on PB&J.

Put it all back toghether. If your idle temp is still over 35C (and do make sure your idle - Task Manager should be showing <5% utilization and very likely should also be at a very low clock speed), and the pump claims it’s running and the fans are spinning - then your 100i is bad and needs to be replaced. Intel chips will idle <35C on stock HSFs, and should be running much closer to 30C on a AIO water cooler.

That's what I did.  Cleaned everything and put new arctic mx-4 thermal paste on.  The H100i v2, is about 3 months old, as is the cpu and mb.  Right now the load is 1% and the fan and pump are running around 1800-2000rpm with a temp of 35.1c.  The cpu however has a temp of 43c.

I can use the Corsair link software and speed up or slow down the fan and pump, change the led color, etc.  So it seems to be hooked up right as far as the controls go.  
    List all of the fans that you have in your system, where they are, and how they're oriented (e.g., blowing air into the case, out of the case, within the case but toward the back, etc.).  That includes CPU, GPU, power supply, case fans, and anything else you've got.  Also, make sure that none of them are physically blocked so that all can move air around.  It's possible that you've botched something there.
    Actually, we probably should have asked this up front:  have you overclocked the CPU at all, or is it at stock speeds?  If you've overclocked it and tweaked settings such that it can't clock down at idle, then that's why you're seeing high idle temperatures.
    edited June 2018
    danx30 said:
    Ridelynn said:

That's what I did.  Cleaned everything and put new arctic mx-4 thermal paste on.  The H100i v2, is about 3 months old, as is the cpu and mb.  Right now the load is 1% and the fan and pump are running around 1800-2000rpm with a temp of 35.1c.  The cpu however has a temp of 43c.

I can use the Corsair link software and speed up or slow down the fan and pump, change the led color, etc.  So it seems to be hooked up right as far as the controls go.  
    I'd vote to RMA the H100i then. Pump/Fan speed are just derived based on how fast the motor thinks it's turning... if the pump is cavetating (not enough liquid) or the impeller is broke, it will show as pumping, but nothing is actually moving.

That thing running at idle, the fans shouldn't even have to spin at all, the pump runs at more or less a constant speed, and you should be under 35C on the chip.

The Corsair will be reporting fluid temps, the chip is obviously reporting chip temps - so they should be slightly different from each other. At idle they should be pretty close together (within a few degrees), but they will diverge a good bit under load. That applies for a good air cooler as well. If you have a really aggressive overclock with overvolt, and have the power plan set to Max Performance - maybe, but even then I don't think at idle you'd see this much temperature deviation if the HSF and everything are working correctly.

Your temps sound normal for a CPU under low (~30%) load... but at idle everything should be sitting at just over ambient (30-35C is normal inside a computer case for typical room temps - ~75F). EIther your CPU is still crapped up with malware and it's not really idling, or you haven't installed the H100 correctly, or your H100 just isn't working correctly. I'll take you at your word that your system is now free of malware and you installed it correctly. Not really rocket science and there aren't really a lot of other options there that I see that would affect a system this much while idling. 
    Quizzical said:
    Actually, we probably should have asked this up front:  have you overclocked the CPU at all, or is it at stock speeds?  If you've overclocked it and tweaked settings such that it can't clock down at idle, then that's why you're seeing high idle temperatures.

Nope, no OC at all.  I have about 8 fans in the system, some blowing into the case, others out.  It's a full size case with a lot of room.  I'm going to try changing the radiator fans since they are noisy as hell anyway.
    There is also the possibility that your CPU has a poor thermocouple offset... for example: it reads 43C, but it reads everything a few degrees high and is actually running a bit lower. 

A couple of degrees here or there isn't unheard of, but nearly 10C is a bit excessive for that.  And there are other thermcouples on the dies - you can see individual core temps with some software, they should all be in a pretty tight grouping depending on load.

Has the chip ever run at normal temps, or has it always got hot?
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Just hit it with a hammer and fix it with duct tape. Works every time.
    Ridelynn
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    danx30 said:
    I have a i7-8700k cpu and a 1080ti gpu.  However when I run any game with even moderate graphics it seems that the CPU is doing all the work, heats up and my liquid cooling fan and pump go into overdrive and make a ton of noise.  Even running something like Conan Exiles, after a few minutes my cpu cooling system is out of control trying to keep the cpu cool.  Shouldn't the 1080ti be enough to handle the burden of the graphics without using so much cpu power?

Reapply the thermal paste again. Clean the processor with Isopropyl Alcohol first, redo the paste on the top of the processor. This is probably your problem.

danx30 said:

Reapply the thermal paste again. Clean the processor with Isopropyl Alcohol first, redo the paste on the top of the processor. This is probably your problem.
    Try orange juice xD

ceratop001Ridelynn
    SWG Bloodfin vet

I changed the fans on the radiator but the fans I put in don't have the 4 prong connections so they can't be controlled by the H100 and run at a consistent 1100ish rpms.  The cpu is holding at a steady 37c when idle and 64-65 with a stress test with 100% load.  The H100 was bumping up the stock fans to around 2700rpms anytime the cpu got to 45-50c and they got VERY loud, so loud I would have to stop any game I was playing because the sound was just so distracting.  
    Yep you got one of the defective coolers, RMA that shit.
    SWG Bloodfin vet

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Despite what you say, something is definitely wrong with your cooling. You don't even need liquid cooling if you are not overclocking it.
    Well the idle temp is bad at 35-37c, but when gaming it only hit 42c and full stress test of 100% load on all cores hit a max of 65c, which is not bad from what I've read.  As far as the high idle temp, I can only assume it's not reading correctly for some reason, or something my malware scans didn't pick up is still using the cpu.