Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bethesda Announces Elder Scrolls VI

13»

Comments

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    Anyone have any info about that space game they are suppose to been working on?
  • Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    Iselin said:
    Flyte27 said:
    thunderC said:
    Is it fair to say the Elder Scrolls is the greatest gaming series of all time ? I'd say yes, Id even go as far to say Skyrim is the best single player game of all time.
    I would go with the Witcher, Mass Effect, or Uncharted myself.  I like the stories and cinematics in those games.  In terms of sheer ability to craft your character and mod the game the way you want it to be The Elder Scrolls is the best.
    I agree about the Witcher 3.

When I played the original Witcher I thought of it as a lesser and clunkier TES-like game. The W2  world was still full of inaccessible areas... too guided like the pre-Andromeda MEs.

But they knocked it out of the park with W3. Better world, more compelling and mature stories (the Bloody Baron story arc, for example,) better NPC crowds and no comparison graphics wise. Best ever, IMO.  
    That is true, but the first game had a really good story to make up for the clunky gameplay.  It had fairly good artwork even though the engine wasn't great.

The second game was also quite good IMO.  It improved on the graphics, had a fairly good story, and the gameplay was better (though not liked by all due to being very action oriented).

The third game is quite good but suffers a bit from the transition to the story due to the open world.  There are parts of the main quests and a lot of side quests I enjoyed.  I probably enjoyed the more linear expansions more though.

The Elders Scrolls 3 has pretty horrid graphics for 3D and the artwork doesn't really make up for it IMO.  Its combat is even less engaging than that of the Witcher 1 IMO.  Even in the Elder Scrolls 5, I have trouble getting into combat.  I usually play an assassin type because it is far more fluid than actual combat where you are mostly smashing away at an enemy.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Flyte27 said:
    Iselin said:
    Flyte27 said:
    thunderC said:
    Is it fair to say the Elder Scrolls is the greatest gaming series of all time ? I'd say yes, Id even go as far to say Skyrim is the best single player game of all time.
    I would go with the Witcher, Mass Effect, or Uncharted myself.  I like the stories and cinematics in those games.  In terms of sheer ability to craft your character and mod the game the way you want it to be The Elder Scrolls is the best.

When I played the original Witcher I thought of it as a lesser and clunkier TES-like game. The W2  world was still full of inaccessible areas... too guided like the pre-Andromeda MEs.

But they knocked it out of the park with W3. Better world, more compelling and mature stories (the Bloody Baron story arc, for example,) better NPC crowds and no comparison graphics wise. Best ever, IMO.  
    That is true, but the first game had a really good story to make up for the clunky gameplay.  It had fairly good artwork even though the engine wasn't great.

The second game was also quite good IMO.  It improved on the graphics, had a fairly good story, and the gameplay was better (though not liked by all due to being very action oriented).

The third game is quite good but suffers a bit from the transition to the story due to the open world.  There are parts of the main quests and a lot of side quests I enjoyed.  I probably enjoyed the more linear expansions more though.

The Elders Scrolls 3 has pretty horrid graphics for 3D and the artwork doesn't really make up for it IMO.  Its combat is even less engaging than that of the Witcher 1 IMO.  Even in the Elder Scrolls 5, I have trouble getting into combat.  I usually play an assassin type because it is far more fluid than actual combat where you are mostly smashing away at an enemy.
    As far as I'm concerned the only thing the Witcher games have over the Elder Scrolls games are the cut scenes/characters/story.

I can't get myself to finish Witcher 1 or 3 and had to force myself through 2.

I prefer how Elder Scrolls combat is over the witcher combat which I strongly suspect is one of the major reasons why I can't get through them.

But that's the thing, the Elder Scrolls games are about "your big adventure." Because they are less scripted they really aim toward the player who is interested in exploration as well as customer building their character.

And that's more to my liking. Probably why I have thousands of hours in Elder Scrolls games.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Skyrim is my most played game in all the games I own

It beats out world of warcraft by miles, but thats only if you include the time it takes finding+downloading+installing+setting up a stable modded game.

But even without that, my play time in Skyrim is insane. 1109 hours according to steam, but I know people already have 10k+ for some of them lol. If you include the time I've spent CREATING mods,  finding them, downloading them and all that...its easily over 10k hours, no joke. Most games, heck even most MMOs, its rare to ever play long enough for 10k+ hours.

I like Witcher 3 as well, but I hated vanilla. With mods and the dark souls style combat mod, it made it actually playable.
    Sovrath

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    DMKano said:
    six... 

I can see my grandkids playing Skyrim 14

At which point does the numbering get ridiculous?

Final Fantasy says hi!
    Scot

Sovrath said:
    Flyte27 said:
    Iselin said:
    Flyte27 said:
    thunderC said:

As far as I'm concerned the only thing the Witcher games have over the Elder Scrolls games are the cut scenes/characters/story.

I prefer how Elder Scrolls combat is over the witcher combat which I strongly suspect is one of the major reasons why I can't get through them.

But that's the thing, the Elder Scrolls games are about "your big adventure." Because they are less scripted they really aim toward the player who is interested in exploration as well as customer building their character.

And that's more to my liking. Probably why I have thousands of hours in Elder Scrolls games.

I don't really like exploration games that give you a list of things to do and then you just follow markers around.  I know you can ignore gathering the quests and following the markers, but sometimes that screws the quest up.  One thing I have to give to Morrowind is it's a true exploration game and is one of the last games of that type.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    DMKano said:
    six... 

Final Fantasy says hi!

Lol @ not knowing that the series isn't called Skyrim.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Flyte27 said:
    Sovrath said:
    Flyte27 said:
    Iselin said:
    Flyte27 said:
    thunderC said:

I don't really like exploration games that give you a list of things to do and then you just follow markers around.  I know you can ignore gathering the quests and following the markers, but sometimes that screws the quest up.  One thing I have to give to Morrowind is it's a true exploration game and is one of the last games of that type.
    I definitely think Morrowind had a better system.

And I still play Morrowind!
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Sovrath said:
    Flyte27 said:
    Sovrath said:
    Flyte27 said:
    Iselin said:
    Flyte27 said:
    thunderC said:

I definitely think Morrowind had a better system.

And I still play Morrowind!
    Personally, I find there are ups and downs to each game.  Morrowind has better exploration and a bit more freedom in terms of character building.  Skyrim is more linear but has a bit better quests, graphics, and animation.  I especially like the script extender that allows for new menus and animations.  I usually play Skyrim in a linear manner similar to how I play the Witcher 3.  My favorite exploration game is probably still Legend of Zelda the original lol.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    DMKano said:
    six... 

Final Fantasy says hi!
    I play FF games, but have a real problem knowing what I have played, is this a remaster I have already played? So bloody confusing! :)
    Most FF games are ports.  I believe FF7 already has a port that I brought on PC.  It is about the same as the original PS One game.  Sadly I couldn't find the interest to play through it even though I enjoyed it greatly on PS One.  The intro to the game is really good.

I just tried out Skyrim again for a few days and it reminded me why I don't really like open world games.  They are very much like MMOs.  It's mostly about leveling or skilling up.  The quests might have some good stories here and there, but there is a lot of time spent just trying to get your character more powerful. 

I guess I'm just not into that anymore.  I'd rather play something like Uncharted, the Witcher or Mass Effect where it's more linear and more about the story.

Dark Souls has great combat, but I get kind of sick of the grinding at times.  I used to be all about the grind in my younger years, but I seem to really be averse to anything that is repetitive in games now.