Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How EA May Be Getting It Right With Anthem - Anthem Columns

Comments

• nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716
    Like its counter[arts Destiny 1 & 2 and the Division both were solid type games. Destiny's grind to win was done just bad while the Division did the gear grind better with alot more options to earn it. Both games had ok story Division better do to it fitting a real world crisis and the Destiny just looking amazing other then that both failed to deliver what they said.

Now Anthem looks amazing with some cool story and level design and mech power suits that fit alot of different playstyles but can it deliver what many have been asking for a truely open world shooter with rpg elements. Also its 4 player co-op in a shared game which also sounds amazing. but time will tell and have been waiting for more game like this. Now I want a fantasy game done like these.

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

• heerobyaheerobya Member UncommonPosts: 465
    See, I'm one of the rare "fools" who thought Mass Effect Andromeda was a fun and interesting game, that sure had it's flaws, but like most (all) things on the internet - those flaws were COMPLETELY blown out of proportion, which unfairly tarnished the game.

See, I firmly believe most people who complain and bemoan these games and say "oh Battlefront 2/Andromeda, such crap!" etc. have either not played or barely played the game(s).

Short story - they're liars.

Both games are very good and are lots of fun.

So I still have faith in Bioware.

I also don't see EA is some big evil - I've enjoyed several EA published games in recent years. Battlefront, Battlefield, Andromeda, Dragon Age, Titanfall...

Anthem looks fun. Living the Iron Man power fantasy for sure, but also Bioware is still great at creating worlds and telling stories. I'm always excited when they invent a new IP.

So that + a good solid loot / online persistent world 3rd person shooter ala Destiny I'm sold.

IselinPhry
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    heerobya said:
    See, I'm one of the rare "fools" who thought Mass Effect Andromeda was a fun and interesting game, that sure had it's flaws, but like most (all) things on the internet - those flaws were COMPLETELY blown out of proportion, which unfairly tarnished the game.

See, I firmly believe most people who complain and bemoan these games and say "oh Battlefront 2/Andromeda, such crap!" etc. have either not played or barely played the game(s).

hmmm, they might not be liars so much as they put a lot of value in things that you don't.

For example, I thought Mass Effect Andromeda was "fine". It has its issues but stuff like that doesn't really affect me.

For others, if they see a bad texture of if they see a glitch they are ready to sue the company.

I think it's drama for drama's sake but that's just me.
    TacticalZombehheerobya
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Being TPS, it's already more appealing to me than Destiny.

However, I purchased Destiny and felt like I could've gotten more entertainment for my dollar if I hadn't spent it on a hugely-hyped AAA release.  I'll be waiting for reviews on this one, and maybe a sale depending upon the reviews.
    rojoArcueid

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Sovrath said:
    heerobya said:

hmmm, they might not be liars so much as they put a lot of value in things that you don't.

For example, I thought Mass Effect Andromeda was "fine". It has its issues but stuff like that doesn't really affect me.

For others, if they see a bad texture of if they see a glitch they are ready to sue the company.

My perspective on the matter is that, from a mechanical combat perspective, Andromeda was great. However, it was mediocre in terms of content variety. In terms of story, characters, and writing in general, it was a disgrace to the series. The bugs were simply awkward blemishes on an already mixed package.

I am most certainly not a liar in that regard. While I think that the backlash was overblown and I enjoyed my playthrough enough, I do not think that MEA deserves a spot in its esteemed series. It's like comparing an enjoyable B movie to an Oscar winning, legendary film. 
    Phry
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    heerobya said:

Holy shit! There are 2 of us?

I still fire it up occasionally.
    sumdumguy1Sovrathheerobya
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Iselin said:
    heerobya said:

I am also a rare fool apparently
    heerobya
  • acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    While it's no longer looking DOA, one thing that still bothers me, and maybe it's just what has been shown publicly so far, but the gameplay looks slower than molasses going uphill in winter…
    - All the gameplay so far seems to have the player(s) stopping to shoot / target abilities; are players even capable of moving (inc. flying) and shooting at the same time?
    - Enemies all seem to die in 1-hit (to some sort of 'super'?); do enemies ever fight back / have a chance to fight back in any meaningful way? (Do players ever have to dodge?)
    - Is there even a dodge? … for mech suits with rocket boosters I would expect some sort of 'dodge' move.

Basically, to me (so far) Anthem = nice explosions, but where is the ACTION?

NB. Currently looking forward to The Division 2 far more so than Anthem (Destiny 2 is dead).
  • simmihisimmihi Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Ah, EA as in... those guys, not Early Access.... phew
  • SolancerSolancer Member UncommonPosts: 121
    This been more of the interest-er article on MMORPG for comments anyway, for those don't seem to understand why all the hate or negativity are all depend who you ask and HOW long that person been gaming in MMO space. One would give hate and rightful so if then been lie to for 10+ and each hyped game in released had let to a down spiral of disappointment. One can only express in "Hate" if nothing else would be in the red negative.

The fact is any game or for anything really, their always be ppl who like it, or even LOVING it, and ofc their will be some who dislike it. Truly depend who you ask the importance aspect of each game varies from person to person. However, everyone is entitle to their opinion if nothing else, the people who roam the forum are ppl want to voice their opinions obviously. While it is true majority of them just gaming on than voicing on any forum but then again we are here and not really representing them? Are you? I not, but I'm pretty sure the ppl who are here are to find some common grounds so we all can partake or reach some sort of conclusion to our beloved game titles.

Last time I checked the forum are to exist for those reason I believe, on the other hand, its not like the players/users suddenly rally up a poll out in the street near all Bioware fans and voice their opinion on a Bioware game matters right? I been gaming online and off line since the early days of the internet, as old as I am I can at least voice some word in the subject matter in regards to games, no? Since 2014 the games had stop rolling out, at some point game companies had deviated from a full game release and now only to sell you games in parts, maybe 3/5th of a game and selling the 2 remaining parts as DLC. Well I can't recall when exactly that happen but the fact is game companies are not know to be noble at the very least.

Today in 2018 companies are getting more and more with dirtier practice to short change everyone, shorter development cycle push out unfinished state, way longer grinding cycle but want you to abandon your over pay game/dlc/lootboxes/RnG hell and have you move on so they can do this cycle all over again. Hints why we are all are angry and only can express as far and fair as Hate. After all, game companies today promise a lot and only deliver half or less and who would be happy about that?

As for the article, I can't really say Bioware can or can't deliver, the facts are the bar had been set so high and amplified by hype. Expectation will be higher if they continue to hype and hide what is real. Then what turn out to be a fast short game and be drag it out long and boring gameplay with endless grind just so on you next weapon drop will add +10dmg to your rifle >_>. While the story is they are bad and we are the last good mercenary so lets give a good fight and the end, story so far? Anthem might just add up to that much or little in this case, hints why everyone are on edge, WE can not trust them/EA is the underline problem, as for the game itself, only when its out then we can properly pass judgment then.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Being TPS, it's already more appealing to me than Destiny.

However, I purchased Destiny and felt like I could've gotten more entertainment for my dollar if I hadn't spent it on a hugely-hyped AAA release.  I'll be waiting for reviews on this one, and maybe a sale depending upon the reviews.
    I'm on the same boat. One week of non stop playing Destiny 1 at launch was enough to skip the entire franchise. TPS perspective is keeping me interested in Anthem, but until i see several post launch reviews i'm not giving any money to EAWARE.
    MadFrenchie

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Iselin said:
    heerobya said:

I am also a rare fool apparently
    We are not so rare apparently. Despite not being as good as the trilogy, there are a bunch of  features from Andromeda i wish the original trilogy had. I enjoy Andromeda for what it is.
    Iselinkitaradheerobya

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372
    Color me hopeful, whatever color that is! But yes seriously am hopeful.

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Anybody remember Firefall? I'm surprised Mark Kern isn't crying foul about Anthem stealing his idea (sorta).

At least Firefall had way more suits to start. XD
    MidPrincess
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Aeander said:
    Sovrath said:
    heerobya said:

My perspective on the matter is that, from a mechanical combat perspective, Andromeda was great. However, it was mediocre in terms of content variety. In terms of story, characters, and writing in general, it was a disgrace to the series. The bugs were simply awkward blemishes on an already mixed package.

I am most certainly not a liar in that regard. While I think that the backlash was overblown and I enjoyed my playthrough enough, I do not think that MEA deserves a spot in its esteemed series. It's like comparing an enjoyable B movie to an Oscar winning, legendary film. 
    The graphical errors made for amusing youtube video's but they weren't the reason the game bombed, Mass Effect has always been about the story and this is where ME:A failed badly, there was too much of the politics nobody wants in a game, it was badly written and that is something that cannot be ignored, its the same kind of cause and effect that is the reason why films such as Solo crashed and burned, we want games that aren't thinly veiled propoganda platforms, likely much the same as people who go to watch movies at the cinema just go there to be entertained. If EA/Bioware has learned from this then they will stay away from the SJW politics and just make a game instead. :/
    dhtx74
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    edited June 2018
    I am completely desensitized to hype at this point which is all I've seen for Anthem. After being bombarded with cinematic trailers, buzzwords, and developer blogs detailing how awesome their game is, I can hardly muster more than a, "meh" when I see press for new games.

If the game turns out to be good, I'll happily buy it and play it.
    PhryCazriel
  • FrozenyearroundFrozenyearround Member UncommonPosts: 155
    Iselin said:
    heerobya said:

Shhhhh dont tell the EA haters but a lot of people enjoyed it.  It's sad haters now consider games that get 7/10, 8/10, 4 stars, 77% as bad failed games.  They just keep moving the goal post to fit their agenda.  
    Aeander
    I am completely desensitized to hype at this point which is all I've seen for Anthem. After being bombarded with cinematic trailers, buzzwords, and developer blogs detailing how awesome their game is, I can hardly muster more than a, "meh" when I see press for new games.

So let me get this right.  You are burnt out of seeing or hearing about a game but you are perfectly fine waiting to hear what haters who have been at war with EA for ten years now will say about it to determine if you will buy it.  

I think you are on the wrong side of desensitizing here.   Most have completely put off the haters anytime "EA" is mentioned in an article.   
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Phry said:
    Aeander said:
    Sovrath said:
    heerobya said:

The graphical errors made for amusing youtube video's but they weren't the reason the game bombed, Mass Effect has always been about the story and this is where ME:A failed badly, there was too much of the politics nobody wants in a game, it was badly written and that is something that cannot be ignored, its the same kind of cause and effect that is the reason why films such as Solo crashed and burned, we want games that aren't thinly veiled propoganda platforms, likely much the same as people who go to watch movies at the cinema just go there to be entertained. If EA/Bioware has learned from this then they will stay away from the SJW politics and just make a game instead. :/
    I don't even care about that. Life is political and art often reflects life. Certain series (like the Witcher or Deus Ex) handle political elements with a degree of finesse that allows the politics to add to the believability of the settings.

My problem is that the story is generic and lacks any ability to surprise or compell the player.

The characters are even worse. Ryder lacks charisma or agency and comes across as a passive, if snarky character that lets the plot control them, in contrast to the dynamic, interesting, and active Shephard. None of the crew members have a memorable personality, with the sole exception of Peebee. By extension, romance options and loyalty missions have never felt more limited or less compelling in a Bioware game.

Oh, and the villains suck too. They have no motivation other than that they are evil and want to convert the entire universe into themselves... because reasons. Villains don't have to be sympathetic, but their motivations do need to be present and understandable.
    Shaigh
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607

So let me get this right.  You are burnt out of seeing or hearing about a game but you are perfectly fine waiting to hear what haters who have been at war with EA for ten years now will say about it to determine if you will buy it.  

I think you are on the wrong side of desensitizing here.   Most have completely put off the haters anytime "EA" is mentioned in an article.   

I'm not going to read forums full of haters/whiteknights to decide whether the game is good or not. I'll read reviews and watch some gameplay on Youtube. Honestly, I have no idea what you're on about. 
    Phry
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    heerobya said:

Both games are very good and are lots of fun.

So I still have faith in Bioware.

I also don't see EA is some big evil - I've enjoyed several EA published games in recent years. Battlefront, Battlefield, Andromeda, Dragon Age, Titanfall...

Anthem looks fun. Living the Iron Man power fantasy for sure, but also Bioware is still great at creating worlds and telling stories. I'm always excited when they invent a new IP.

So that + a good solid loot / online persistent world 3rd person shooter ala Destiny I'm sold.

I certainly didn't play SW BF or BF2, due to poor reviews and the whole loot box incident. With regards to Andromeda, I thought some parts of the game were good. The combat was well done, the shooting mechanics were good. I wasn't sure about the class system at first but it actually allowed for some interesting builds and was very flexible.

But there were bad parts. The animations and models were slated, and rightly so, but for me the biggest let down was the writing. The story wasn't worthy of the Mass Effect name. Story has always been the hallmark of BioWare games and in this case they didn't deliver.

This is why I'll be waiting for Anthem to release before making any decision. The loot box question has been answered, now we just need to see if the story is up to BioWare's usual standards and if the gameplay is fun and engaging. We're not going to know until we see the game, rather than prepared scenarios and FMV footage.
  • MidPrincessMidPrincess Member UncommonPosts: 89
    Anybody remember Firefall? I'm surprised Mark Kern isn't crying foul about Anthem stealing his idea (sorta).

At least Firefall had way more suits to start. XD
    Me!  I actually liked it so much early on (very early, lol) I bought a cheapo founder's pack (like 20 bucks) so I could jump in, this was back in 2011 when it was still mainly horizontal progression, gear crafting, and thump thump thump, lol.  Remember XP Valley?  Those were fun times.

I miss what that game was, or at least what we thought it would be.  It was so pretty, and the vertical traversal was so much fun.  Then they started ripping out and re-doing entire game aspects that weren't even fully implemented.  Has to be one of the biggest gaming disappointments I've ever experienced. 

Maybe ol' Mark K is waiting on Anthem to get closer to release before he starts howling lol.
  • VerenathVerenath Member UncommonPosts: 61
    edited June 2018
    I really liked all they had to say about SWTOR before it released too.

-Verenath-

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Verenath said:
    Star Wars the Old Republic was exactly the game they said it would be. At least, when I logged into it for the first time it was exactly the bioware mmorpg I expected.

I think players were disappointed because they brought their own narratives and expectations to the experience.

Octagon7711
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Verenath said:
    Its not their fault you thought it was going to be swg2.  They made it very clear it was going to be nothing like swg.  Which was a good thing.