Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How it works. Starting and ending with WoW

2»

Comments

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    Well, EQ2 technically released before WoW, but WoW was the first of its kind in the sense that it proliferated with lighting speed to a huge audience and set the standards for all 'similar-generation' games.
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    Blathericious en Extremis.....

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Akulas said:
    The best MMORPG in the world has a playerbase of 52 with 2 old people trying to figure out what twitch is.
    I highly doubt "old people" care what twitch is.  I don't know if I'm officially old yet, but I'm in my early 40s and I don't know anyone my age remotely interested in watching other people play video games.  We play the fuckers ourselves like all sane people do.
    Kyleran
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    blamo2000 said:
    Akulas said:
    The best MMORPG in the world has a playerbase of 52 with 2 old people trying to figure out what twitch is.
    I highly doubt "old people" care what twitch is.  I don't know if I'm officially old yet, but I'm in my early 40s and I don't know anyone my age remotely interested in watching other people play video games.  We play the fuckers ourselves like all sane people do.
    Seeing as I get seniors discounts at many places i definitely qualify as older.

I know what Twitch is, just have no use for it. What do I care what other random people have to say?

Agree that I can't see any reason to watch people play games, (I don't watch sports either) as that is time better spent playing games myself. (Or going for a run or doing some yardwork even)
    blamo2000

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    People try to analyze the WHY,how come,what now etc etc,i simply look for a game i feel is really well done AND i want to play it.

I sneezed past Wow whilst trying out EQ2,w/o even a second glance i thought EQ2 was a much better game.Why so many others rushed into Wow,tons of reasons,most opinions are likely correct in some fashion or another.
    I have my own opinions as do others and imo Wow was NEVER very good,not in the vanilla phase or now.That why i never wanted to play it,i only played it off/on because of some friends but not because i liked the game.
    IMO FFXI is at the top of the heap,nothing since 2002 has made an OVERALL complete better game,some do some things better but not an entire game,matter of fact most games now are all LESS than a complete game.

Let's decipher the two BIGGEST..
    1 Wow still has no housing...sigh,seriously a ROLE playing game but players don't live anywhere,yeah ..sigh.
    2 SC the biggest crowd funded game ever and by a long shot,still no game and nothing yet looks even remotely worth buying into.
    Pretty simple math,if the two biggest money makers can't do the genre any good,how can we expect the lesser weights,the devs with a LOT less money?

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Wizardry said:
    People try to analyze the WHY,how come,what now etc etc,i simply look for a game i feel is really well done AND i want to play it.

I sneezed past Wow whilst trying out EQ2,w/o even a second glance i thought EQ2 was a much better game.Why so many others rushed into Wow,tons of reasons,most opinions are likely correct in some fashion or another.
    I have my own opinions as do others a).
    2 SC the biggest crowd funded game ever and by a long shot,still no game and nothing yet looks even remotely worth buying into.
    Pretty simple math,if the two biggest money makers can't do the genre any good,how can we expect the lesser weights,the devs with a LOT less money?

Elven magic of course, what else?

:)

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• 45074507 Member UncommonPosts: 351
    Anyone else crack up when the OP says something was taken away by force?

It's like saying that glass-bottled Coke was taken away by force and that anyone who likes the plastic-bottled coke is really a closeted Pepsi fan.
    Kyleran
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Kyleran said:
    blamo2000 said:
    Akulas said:
    Seeing as I get seniors discounts at many places i definitely qualify as older.

I know what Twitch is, just have no use for it. What do I care what other random people have to say?

Agree that I can't see any reason to watch people play games, (I don't watch sports either) as that is time better spent playing games myself. (Or going for a run or doing some yardwork even)
    I agree.  I also understand why people would want to watch professional sports equivalent of people playing competitive video games.  But that is just a tiny small fraction of people watching other people play games.  Plus, actually playing sports is tiring and takes a lot of effort.  Playing a video game isn't and doesn't, and when you add to it the majority of what people are watching is equivalent of watching some idiot playing catch by himself in his backyard it gets more confusing.  

My son for his birthday wanted three video games - and he hasn't even downloaded them yet.  But he watches the shit out of other people playing them.  
    Kyleran
  • Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    I am not a fan of housing, but neither EQ1 nor WoW had housing.  EQ2 had a really sad housing that was instanced and everyone went in the same way.  UO housing was interesting because people could steal from the house or steal the deed to the house I believe (it's been a long time).  This lead to people setting up tamed dragon's to guard their houses (sometimes player brought from other players).  It was quite interesting.
  • centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    Scot said:
    centkin said:
    Scot said:
    WoW, word of mouth... just when I thought I had read it all from that poster comes a new gem.
    btdt said:
    It's so obvious now... the OP is trying to get his orange tag!

He's repeating the same drivel over and over again just to up his post count.

Yep, it starts to get a bit spammy with always the same topic worded slightly differently and with some different drivel inserted.

The race for orange doesn't work too well for this one though... not even a WTF yet. You don't get colors with the post count but with appreciations.
    If this is true once he hits orange he is going to stop telling us about his MMO concerns. Do you really think that is going to happen? :) 

It could always do like it did with me.  I at one time was a "better" color and it lost my achievements.  It does seem smart enough not to give me the achievements back when I regain them -- so I am probably perpetually green.  I wonder how many people are in my boat.
    I presume you have tried the admins for this one, it sounds a pain.
    I have no real idea what they could do.  It would hardly be worth them going through the thousand posts I made to accurately count up the number of agrees etc and then hard push the achievements just to give me a different colored name.  Yeah I might decide to press the point if color actually meant anything functionality-wise on the site.    I agree that it is a pain though.
    edited June 2018
    Definitely were some things lost when the migrated from commercial Vanilla to the open source version.

In my case it was about 150 posts, my guess is likely ones that I had received agrees or whatever on that eventually got closed by moderators.

If not for that I'd be a month or two closer to going "over the top."

(30K)

;)