Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How EA May Be Getting It Right With Anthem - Anthem Columns

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageHow EA May Be Getting It Right With Anthem - Anthem Columns

It’s all talk at this point, but I like what I’m hearing. Last year, EA got my attention with Anthem, the BioWare developed response to games like Destiny and The Division, but it was what I heard (and saw) at E3 2018 that got me truly excited for the game’s launch early next year.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 737
    Pointless wishful thinking. Destiny 1 & 2 had the same discussion of great "promise"
    MidPrincessalkarionlogGobstopper3DSolancerinfomatzGkarr
  • HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993

Pointless wishful thinking. Destiny 1 & 2 had the same discussion of great "promise"

True, but that was before people were more aware. Since all the EA and Destiny 2 nonsense players seem much more wired to BS companies try to pull.

These days I feel if a company tried to go back on such things they better be prepared to be hung drawn and quartered and your game DOA. There's no way a company could get away with it without the world been turned upside down, especially a big title like Anthem, imho.
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    It's hard to trust EA. I am hoping they get it right.... I didn't play Destiny but I want to play Anthem!
    sumdumguy1someforumguySamhael

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    I like what I see. I am concerned with what I do not see. Destiny looked great, but we could not have guessed that it would be so lacking in content and story from the trailers and beta. That is also my concern with Anthem.
    [Deleted User]MidPrincessSolancerrojoArcueidinfomatz
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    The exclusion of loot boxes is a big plus. EA seem to have learned from the SW BF2 fiasco that they can't take us for granted. Still gonna wait and see like many others. The price of games has gone up quite a bit over the last year. I'm going to have to be convinced that it's really worth the money before I part with cash from now on.

If it turns out to be another bullet sponge shooter I'll pass.
  • psychosiz1psychosiz1 Member UncommonPosts: 200
    Haven't we been down this road many times already? Lets not create any more unnecessary hype which may lead to potential disappointment. If the game is good, when it comes out, we can then praise or critique it.
    sumdumguy1SolancerinfomatzOctagon7711someforumguyCazriel
  • sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Haven't we been down this road many times already? Lets not create any more unnecessary hype which may lead to potential disappointment. If the game is good, when it comes out, we can then praise or critique it.
    Amen!
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    EA & Getting it Right lol
    alkarionlogGkarr
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• MidPrincessMidPrincess Member UncommonPosts: 89
    Aeander said:
    I like what I see. I am concerned with what I do not see. Destiny looked great, but we could not have guessed that it would be so lacking in content and story from the trailers and beta. That is also my concern with Anthem.
    Same here.  Remember when Destiny was pitched as a "10-year game"?  LOL.  I enjoyed D1 for several months and after that found it surprisingly easy to put down.  Never touched D2 and glad I didn't.  As beautiful as Anthem looks, and as much potential (I know, I know, there goes the "P" word) as its idea has, I'm worried it could be another game with a gorgeous but thin veneer coating very little else.

Waiting patiently, I suppose, is all we can do.  I like this sort of game and get excited easily but have been learning to temper that as best I can.  Someone else mentioned "another bullet sponge shooter" and I pray that's not what this becomes, but considering who's making this, if that is actually what we get I wouldn't be surprised one bit.  Just even more disappointment ladled onto an already-overflowing pot lol.
    esc-joconnor
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Bioware f$%&ed up one of their most precious IPs so badly that they had to completely walk away from it, and you want to really sell people on how EA/Bioware MIGHT be getting it right?

No. They might NOT be getting it right until they do. Be skeptical and if it's anything but a well done fair game to the standards EA/Bioware set earlier, burn it with fire and continue to laugh and point at them.

Only gameplay videos with hard yes/no answers on the important topics can make believers out of people at this point IMO.
    Solancerinfomatz
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • BananaSoupBananaSoup Member UncommonPosts: 180
    Destiny 2 Forsaken will blow Anthem out of the water.
    NyghthowlerIselinsumdumguy1AeanderTacticalZombehrojoArcueidinfomatzSamhael
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Bioware f$%&ed up one of their most precious IPs so badly that they had to completely walk away from it, and you want to really sell people on how EA/Bioware MIGHT be getting it right?

No. They might NOT be getting it right until they do. Be skeptical and if it's anything but a well done fair game to the standards EA/Bioware set earlier, burn it with fire and continue to laugh and point at them.

Only gameplay videos with hard yes/no answers on the important topics can make believers out of people at this point IMO.

Bioware "walking away" from their latest Mass Effect game was probably less about them and more about EA.

I can assure you, anyone who creates something wants it to be the best that it can be.

But that doesn't always happen. There are sometimes mitigating factors. You never know what happens behind the scenes and who was responsible for what.

Part of this is also strong management. Maybe if Bioware had better management they would be able to make their EA overlords understand them better.

Lastly, Bioware is not in this place because of anyone at EA or any of the workers. They are in this place because those that owned Bioware sold it. Once you give up control, that's it. You are now subject to any whims/decisions/dictates of your new owners. Which is why strong management is needed in order to convince your new owners that they are throwing away their money unless they let you do your thing. The "thing" that made them want to buy you in the first place.
    SpottyGekkoCazriel
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Jrich_cpJrich_cp Member UncommonPosts: 63

Not fair to compare a finished product with expansions to a non launched game. That being said- you will be done with forsaken before anthem launches, so it doesnt really matter.

BananaSoupsumdumguy1
  • BananaSoupBananaSoup Member UncommonPosts: 180
    Jrich_cp said:

Not fair to compare a finished product with expansions to a non launched game. That being said- you will be done with forsaken before anthem launches, so it doesnt really matter.

I won't. Not buying either of those. :smiley:
    Destiny 2 Forsaken will be as mediocre as the rest of the Destiny franchise.

If Anthem can't surpass the pathetically low bar set by the Destiny franchise, then Bioware deserves to be shuttered.
    TacticalZombehSolancerrojoArcueid
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

Sovrath said:

Bioware "walking away" from their latest Mass Effect game was probably less about them and more about EA.

I can assure you, anyone who creates something wants it to be the best that it can be.

But that doesn't always happen. There are sometimes mitigating factors. You never know what happens behind the scenes and who was responsible for what.

Part of this is also strong management. Maybe if Bioware had better management they would be able to make their EA overlords understand them better.

Lastly, Bioware is not in this place because of anyone at EA or any of the workers. They are in this place because those that owned Bioware sold it. Once you give up control, that's it. You are now subject to any whims/decisions/dictates of your new owners. Which is why strong management is needed in order to convince your new owners that they are throwing away their money unless they let you do your thing. The "thing" that made them want to buy you in the first place.

so the very least would be to fix all bugs, guess what they didn't, graphics are still bad, good thing for the helmets always on, that really did save a lot of the game, in teh gameplay departament, it was a gain more of a 3rd person shooter then a rpg, also teh fact playing it did remember a lot of the DAI really didn't help.

in the end MEA was mediocre, with a really not that great gameplay and history bringing nowthing new, you guessing what will happen before the thing even happen is not fun, and bioware really did bad with ME2 tehy tried to recover with the 3rd was better then the 2nd but really fucked with the history and then we have adromeda, with bring nothing new, so you guys really expect anthem will be any good? what it did show it will be a destiny like so pray tell me why I would go for a 3rd person shooter, when I wanted a rpg? even less for a lobby game at that.

its dead already and it not even born yet
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.

Sovrath said:

so the very least would be to fix all bugs, guess what they didn't, graphics are still bad, good thing for the helmets always on, that really did save a lot of the game, in teh gameplay departament, it was a gain more of a 3rd person shooter then a rpg, also teh fact playing it did remember a lot of the DAI really didn't help.

in the end MEA was mediocre, with a really not that great gameplay and history bringing nowthing new, you guessing what will happen before the thing even happen is not fun, and bioware really did bad with ME2 tehy tried to recover with the 3rd was better then the 2nd but really fucked with the history and then we have adromeda, with bring nothing new, so you guys really expect anthem will be any good? what it did show it will be a destiny like so pray tell me why I would go for a 3rd person shooter, when I wanted a rpg? even less for a lobby game at that.

Did you just call ME2 a fuck up? Really? ME2 was the height of the franchise and one of the best RPG's ever made. ME3 was a good game in its own right, ending debacle aside, but cannot even compare to its predecessors.
  • FrozenyearroundFrozenyearround Member UncommonPosts: 155
    edited June 2018
    What a depressing display of negativity. Can people not be happy anymore?

Time for some of you to step outside for a bit. I guess being negative and angry gets you those desperately needed upvotes.
    Cazriel

Time for some of you to step outside for a bit.
    Healthy consumer skepticism is a good thing. It forces companies to try harder and raise the bar. Nothing is worse for a company's long term consumer relations than undisputed success.

It is hype, pre-ordering, and unconditional positivity that has lead to disappointing games and bad practices. 

So I will keep my skepticism, tyvm. If Anthem is good, I will purchase it. I don't want it to be bad. No one should want a game to be bad.
    gervaise1TacticalZombehSolancer
  • FrozenyearroundFrozenyearround Member UncommonPosts: 155
    Aeander said:

Healthy consumer skepticism is a good thing. It forces companies to try harder and raise the bar. Nothing is worse for a company's long term consumer relations than undisputed success.

It is hype, pre-ordering, and unconditional positivity that has lead to disappointing games and bad practices. 

So I will keep my skepticism, tyvm. If Anthem is good, I will purchase it. I don't want it to be bad. No one should want a game to be bad.
    Video games especially forums have gone way beyond "healthy consumer skepticism".

You are wrong about hype, preordering leading to disappointing games and bad practices.  The fact video game sales continue to increase proves the majority of gamers are enjoying their games.  

Those like us that come to sites like this are a tiny fraction of gamers I would bet not even 1% of gamers step foot in forums like this, the majority just play the games.  I dont jump on the hate bandwagon for every new game which is a popular and destructive practice that occurs in forums.  
    Cazriel
    Aeander said:

Video games especially forums have gone way beyond "healthy consumer skepticism".

You are wrong about hype, preordering leading to disappointing games and bad practices.  The fact video game sales continue to increase proves the majority of gamers are enjoying their games.  

Those like us that come to sites like this are a tiny fraction of gamers I would bet not even 1% of gamers step foot in forums like this, the majority just play the games.  I dont jump on the hate bandwagon for every new game which is a popular and destructive practice that occurs in forums.  
    In part, you're speaking to the choir. These past few years have given us some of the best games ever made and I think that the overall health of the industry is the best that it has ever been. 

But again, skepticism is a good thing. Cautious optimism should be the default stance on a new game - wanting and hoping for a game to meet expectations, but not preordering and not setting oneself up for disappointment. 

I think it important to practice a balance here. One should not want a game to fail to meet expectations as part of some bandwagon. But one should also not be unskeptical. 
    Solancer
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    The gameplay didn't excite me one bit, it looked like another dull looter shooter.
    BakgrindSolancer
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

For the developer - Bungie - and the publisher - Activision - they delivered; Destiny 1 especially. And a lot of people enjoyed / enjoy the games.

And in the big scheme of things whether "I" like those game doesn't matter.

And its the same deal with Anthem. Publishers need "big hits" if they are to develop and produce "less popular maybe more ecletic" titles.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    edited June 2018

Again, we don't know what happened, and most likely it was EA that washed their hands of it.

Remember "fixing bugs" means using resources.

I remember speaking with a programmer in a past job and he told me that they had created a better way of doing something with the interface but didn't implement it because it wasn't in the scope of the project.

If EA decided that no more resources were going to be used on the game then "no more resources were to be used on the game.".

Post edited by Sovrath on
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • KiwiHypeKiwiHype Member UncommonPosts: 233
    Anthem Anthem Anthem!

I'm ready to hero kathunk land anywhere and everywhere like IronKiwiNotAMan

Lets gooooooooo!
    MikeB