Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How it works. Starting and ending with WoW

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
It's called the snowball effect. 
Roll a hand size lightly packed snowball downhill and watch it increase size as it gathers more snow. 
It's also like Facebook popularity.  One tells another, both tell even more, then 4 tell 8, then 8 tell 16,32, 64, 128 then later millions.

Things like this always happened in life.  In my younger party days It was bars and taverns.  In my local area Tuesday night was "The Station complex" only because they had an average band that night.  Word-Of-Mouth and Boom !!!!.....Popular ! 

Let's analyze World of Warcraft: 
Vanilla World of Warcraft, first of fun loving easy going second generation mmorpg's.  Friendly and social, it was the "first of it's kind" that truly ran on computers when computers were made like crap. 

Some marketing and advertisement but largely Word-Of-Mouth.  Thousands turned to millions...Finally something new for people at home to do !.... Kids at school had to play or they were rejected in conversations in the school yard. 

*Important* 
When something like this catches on, "it can't do nothing wrong*….It will remain popular until the fad is over ! 
REMEMBER THIS FOR LATER ON.

Obviously as time went on players chewed through the all the content as players explored every tree and rock, Blizzard had to create expansion's.    
-The Burning Crusade
-Wrath of the Lich King 
-Cataclysm 
-Mists of Pandaria 
-Warlords of Draenor 

Well, some ware between Wrath of the Lich King and Cataclysm, World of Warcraft changed its formula drastically.  MOST WOULD SAY IT'S UN-RECOGNIZABLE.  I don't think anyone can argue...It's not the same game. 

FORCED changes !! 

Millions rejected it.... Millions accepted it 
One thing for sure "it can't do nothing wrong" It will remain popular until the fad is over. 

Let's analyze EVERY OTHER mmorpg: 
With FORCED changes of World of Warcraft and "it can't do nothing wrong", other developers followed the format that millions rejected. 

But, players didn't have to accept.... Why?.... They're NOT World of Warcraft. 

Only World of Warcraft "can't do nothing wrong"..... Only now, it's a slow dying Fade.
Thebeasttt

Comments

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    I think I'm in big trouble...I really did it now :(
  • trancefatetrancefate Member UncommonPosts: 146
    WOW first of its kind? Mostly word of mouth advertisement? 

You've lost your damned mind. This is incoherent drivel,  go to bed. 
    [Deleted User]ThebeastttIselinvandal5627
  • RnjypsyRnjypsy Member UncommonPosts: 64
    I think I'm in big trouble...I really did it now :(
    Can't see why you'd be in trouble, but also can't make heads or tails of this nonsense...I agree with trancefate....."go to bed".

First fun loving, lite hearted mmorpg with the potential for the entire family to enjoy. 
    It had/has easy medium and hard content for all walks along with the best social hub that's un-matched even today. 

Yes, the first of it's kind !
  • mmoloummolou Member UncommonPosts: 256

Vanilla World of Warcraft, first of fun loving easy going second generation mmorpg's.  
    EQ2 released before WoW, so EQ2 should be classed as the first "second generation" MMORPG if any of them should.
    ThebeastttTheScavenger
    It is a funny world we live in.
    We had Empires run by Emperors, we had Kingdoms run by Kings, now we have Countries...
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited June 2018
    mmolou said:

Vanilla World of Warcraft, first of fun loving easy going second generation mmorpg's.  
    EQ2 released before WoW, so EQ2 should be classed as the first "second generation" MMORPG if any of them should.
    LOL, shoved out the door like 3 weeks before WOW in a desperate attempt to garner an audience before being steam rolled by Blizzard's behemoth.

At launch EQ2 was far more like it's predecessor and SOE tried to keep up by adopting more and more WOW features as most other games would come to do in the years to come.

Besides, some would argue Asherons Call 2 was the first real quest driven MMORPG which both EQ2 and WOW would emulate.
    Theocritus[Deleted User]ThebeastttalyndaleNepheth

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• mmoloummolou Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Kyleran said:
    mmolou said:

LOL, shoved out the door like 3 weeks before WOW in a desperate attempt to garner an audience before being steam rolled by Blizzard's behemoth.

At launch EQ2 was far more like it's predecessor and SOE tried to keep up by adopting more and more WOW features as most other games would come to do in the years to come.

Besides, some would argue Asherons Call 2 was the first real quest driven MMORPG which both EQ2 and WOW would emulate.
    None of which changes the fact that EQ2 released before WoW.
    KyleranTheScavenger
    It is a funny world we live in.
    We had Empires run by Emperors, we had Kingdoms run by Kings, now we have Countries...
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    AO and SWG were also considered 2nd generation.  DAoC too.  As well as the cancelled UO2.  

And unless things changed extremely drastically from when I was in High School, I highly doubt, "Kids at school had to play [WoW] or they were rejected in conversations in the school yard."  

I doubt there will be another WoW since Vanilla was made for the audience at the time, and mmorpgs had an adult audience then.  Tyranny of the Center/Tyranny of the Masses 
    dictates who controls what is popular.  At this time kids have full control of almost all video game markets and segments.  Whole systems now revolve around it, like kids watching other people play games so games needing to not be fully understandable for children, but have gameplay based on being fun to watch for them - instead of fun to play.  And the people playing it really don't have a choice.  They want to be popular so they play what the kid's like.  

The video game industry has kind of entered the post-WotLK phase, where the amount of people watching other people play a game is like the game's iLevel.  Players just look at that number and decide if a game is good or not based off of that.  Its an awful system, and it reminds me of that Black Mirror episode where all society evolved around people's social rating number.

mmolou
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    I guess for this one Delete will have his questions answered, by the classic server. :)
    Kyleran
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    The best MMORPG in the world has a playerbase of 52 with 2 old people trying to figure out what twitch is.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    It's so obvious now... the OP is trying to get his orange tag!

He's repeating the same drivel over and over again just to up his post count.

Amathe[Deleted User]
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    After all those years i still wonder 1 thing , how many of the 12 millions subs come form China ?
  • KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    edited June 2018
    iixviiiix said:
    After all those years i still wonder 1 thing , how many of the 12 millions subs come form China ?
    It's not 2007-2010 anymore. WoW right now doesn't have even 40% of it's peak 12 million subs. It's still a lot of subs, but the way from now on is losing subs slowly.

This estimate charts shows WoW has been slowly but steadily losing subs since 2016, after it had a small peak in subs due to Legion expansion release, and it's projected to lose subs in the coming years.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/276601/number-of-world-of-warcraft-subscribers-by-quarter/
  • Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    Kyleran said:
    mmolou said:

I don't entirely agree with that.  I played both games and felt that WoW actually was more similar in gameplay to EQ1 and that's part of why I chose to switch to it. 

Sure EQ2 was more difficult in terms of mob positioning and having lots of group content, but in terms of actual gameplay, WoW was more like EQ1. 

For instance, in EQ2 were locked into a fight and had to allow someone to assist you by typing something.  They couldn't just help.  They couldn't even attack the mob.  The buffs like Spirit of the Wolf dropped in combat.  Neither of these was true in WoW. 

WoW also just felt very EQish in terms of moving around and targetting things.  In its early vanilla days, it had a lot more group content in the open world areas.  

Aside from being instances the dungeons also felt more EQ1 like in nature.
    Kyleran
    WoW, word of mouth... just when I thought I had read it all from that poster comes a new gem.
    btdt said:

Yep, it starts to get a bit spammy with always the same topic worded slightly differently and with some different drivel inserted.

The race for orange doesn't work too well for this one though... not even a WTF yet. You don't get colors with the post count but with appreciations.
    If this is true once he hits orange he is going to stop telling us about his MMO concerns. Do you really think that is going to happen? :) 
    Kyleran[Deleted User]delete5230
  • ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    The local madman used to be confined to a small sphere of influence. Now they are global and this thread is the result.
    mmolou
    edited June 2018
    mmolou said:
    Kyleran said:
    mmolou said:

None of which changes the fact that EQ2 released before WoW.
    A rounding error, nothing more.

Reading some other posts,  perhaps EQ2 was the last of the previous generation.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

WoW, word of mouth... just when I thought I had read it all from that poster comes a new gem.
    btdt said:

Yep, it starts to get a bit spammy with always the same topic worded slightly differently and with some different drivel inserted.

The race for orange doesn't work too well for this one though... not even a WTF yet. You don't get colors with the post count but with appreciations.
    Or LOLs, those especially helped me over the top.
    Scot[Deleted User]

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630

*Important* 
    When something like this catches on, "it can't do nothing wrong*….It will remain popular until the fad is over ! 
    I feel like this type of prose is being written by someone who is isolated and fearful of passing helicopters. 
    vandal5627

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Amathe said:

*Important* 
    I feel like this type of prose is being written by someone who is isolated and fearful of passing helicopters. 
    Then he must have been playing GTA, you check out helicopters, note the best looking cars on the street, it changes what you take notice of if you play it enough, crazy but true. :)
  • centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    Scot said:
    btdt said:

If this is true once he hits orange he is going to stop telling us about his MMO concerns. Do you really think that is going to happen? :) 

It could always do like it did with me.  I at one time was a "better" color and it lost my achievements.  It does seem smart enough not to give me the achievements back when I regain them -- so I am probably perpetually green.  I wonder how many people are in my boat.
    centkin said:
    Scot said:
    btdt said:

It could always do like it did with me.  I at one time was a "better" color and it lost my achievements.  It does seem smart enough not to give me the achievements back when I regain them -- so I am probably perpetually green.  I wonder how many people are in my boat.
    I presume you have tried the admins for this one, it sounds a pain.
    Flyte27 said:
    Kyleran said:
    mmolou said:

I don't entirely agree with that.  I played both games and felt that WoW actually was more similar in gameplay to EQ1 and that's part of why I chose to switch to it. 

Sure EQ2 was more difficult in terms of mob positioning and having lots of group content, but in terms of actual gameplay, WoW was more like EQ1. 

For instance, in EQ2 were locked into a fight and had to allow someone to assist you by typing something.  They couldn't just help.  They couldn't even attack the mob.  The buffs like Spirit of the Wolf dropped in combat.  Neither of these was true in WoW. 

WoW also just felt very EQish in terms of moving around and targetting things.  In its early vanilla days, it had a lot more group content in the open world areas.  

EQ2 at release had a lot of "forced grouping" and also badly lacked quests past the 20 first levels. The developers patched in content in a hurry during at least 6 months to try to catch up with WoW, but it was way too late.

EQ2 "failed" (sort of, facing WoW) because the game was flawed when released.

And also, you needed a quite beefy computer because the engine sucked donkey ass even by 2004 standards... and please... like 5 different zones with loading screen in a single city... that sucked too.

EQ2 lost to WoW because it wasn't a very good game, while WoW was one.

And I don't agree that WoW felt more "EQish" than EQ2. I wouldn't have played it otherwise. EQ2 had all the EQ flaws at release, including the engine and massive amount zoning. In WoW, there wasn't any "forced grouping" not even in 2004.
    My Everquest 2 Monk had epilepsy, 

I was afraid to hit the next ability, because I MAY have a seizure just watching it !!!!  
    Kyleran
  • Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    Flyte27 said:
    Kyleran said:
    mmolou said:

EQ2 at release had a lot of "forced grouping" and also badly lacked quests past the 20 first levels. The developers patched in content in a hurry during at least 6 months to try to catch up with WoW, but it was way too late.

EQ2 "failed" (sort of, facing WoW) because the game was flawed when released.

And also, you needed a quite beefy computer because the engine sucked donkey ass even by 2004 standards... and please... like 5 different zones with loading screen in a single city... that sucked too.

EQ2 lost to WoW because it wasn't a very good game, while WoW was one.

And I don't agree that WoW felt more "EQish" than EQ2. I wouldn't have played it otherwise. EQ2 had all the EQ flaws at release, including the engine and massive amount zoning. In WoW, there wasn't any "forced grouping" not even in 2004.
    While what you said is true I strongly disagree for the reasons I mentioned.  It is funny that you played it because it didn't feel like EQ and I played it because I felt it was more like EQ for the reasons I mentioned.  I know you are not a fan of the original EQ, but there were EQ developers involved in the design and creation of WoW.  While it had no forced grouping and zones the overall gameplay and combat felt far more like EQ than it did in EQ2.  If they were using the same engine it must have been greatly modified as the characters in the game looked far more realistic (less cartoony), moved and interacted with things far differently, buffs didn't work the same way (as I mentioned).  Combat was locked.  Groups of mobs were in ridiculous numbers that couldn't be CCed.  In EQ and WoW you could always break up groups with CC.  There was no buff dropping in combat in EQ or WoW.  The art design was a lot closer though slightly more cartoony in WoW.  EQ was pretty cartoon though.  There were a few small changes to combat from EQ to WoW like being able to heal yourself without having to target yourself first.  Combat was locked unless the person fighting chose to allow you to help them in EQ2.  It was a lot different game than EQ1.  It really didn't feel like EQ1 at all aside from its name and trying to be a more group oriented game.
  • BrunlinBrunlin Member UncommonPosts: 79
    Everquest 2 originally failed not because of forced grouping but because of numerous bugs and the game play wasn't that good. It took a year for them to work thing out and the game became very good, but like you said by this time even though the game was a success (not a fail) it didnt have the success that WOW had. BTW WoW vanilla and EQ 2 was solo friendly but you could get a lot more done with groups, especially in dungeons or harder mini bosses. 

If at first you don’t succeed, call it version 1.0