Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

D Day, the end of mmorpg's

2»

Comments

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    The genre evolved with new concepts and features, but even that wasn't enough to keep the genre afloat (relatively speaking when compared to the golden years).

If anything caused the demise of the genre, it was regressives holding it back.  They feared change.  They wanted a time-consuming nostalgic environment while others moved on to spend their time on family, work, school, and other interests.

Bottom line, people just got tired of the core tenets of an mmorpg; leveling, stats, progression, rinse & repeat.
    [Deleted User]Gdemami
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Another "quality" post.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited June 2018
    Viper482 said:
    Not one of those 5 things have enough impact to make or break a game. You could skip all 5 and still have an amazing game. Or you could have all 5 and still have a really bad one. But yes, influence is still influence.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    I so love your threads, OP.  Please don't change, all the negative comments are just haters! :D
    [Deleted User]KyleranArglebargleScot

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I so love your threads, OP.  Please don't change, all the negative comments are just haters! :D
    Grats on legendary. *Cry* *Cry* . vertical progression difference is too much from my mere "rare". 

Also, i reread OP's post, I do have to give credit for his unorthodox style of writing, it is actually pretty witty, when I actually put more than the usual brainpower into it. 
    MadFrenchie
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    Viper482 said:
    Not one of those 5 things have enough impact to make or break a game. You could skip all 5 and still have an amazing game. Or you could have all 5 and still have a really bad one. But yes, influence is still influence.
    I could literally say that about any feature in any mmo.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Grats on legendary. *Cry* *Cry* . vertical progression difference is too much from my mere "rare". 

Also, i reread OP's post, I do have to give credit for his unorthodox style of writing, it is actually pretty witty, when I actually put more than the usual brainpower into it. 
    Its actually an impressive form of passive aggressive baiting, cant quite tell if its by intelligent design though.

;)
    MadFrenchie

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    DMKano said:
    Welcome to club Orange btw ;)
    Thanks!

Cryomatrix said:

Appreciate it!

Love or hate the OP, he seems to create threads that people respond to haha.  I can't hate on that! ;)

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Rift = Warhammer + WoW had a child out of wedlock
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    DMKano said:
    Welcome to club Orange btw ;)
    Where is your "I am all orange now thread", I can't be the only narcissist on here who thinks that sort of thing is worth one? :)

Well done mate!
    MadFrenchie
  • IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member RarePosts: 616
    It WAS WoW that killed mmos. Before WoW we had all kinds of varying mmos that were made to change the landscape of games and build upon what was once though impossible. From Fps combat with rpg elements and characters to fully realized worlds set in popular ips where you could truely play as you wanted and have an impact within a game not just within your imagination.

Once WoW hit the shelves and became ultra popular in 2006-2007 is when mmos died. We got the first WoW clone, Lord of the rings online; having come from trying to like wow for a year and a half I was accepted into LOTRO and to my dismay found it identical to WoW which abrutly put me off(I realize WoW wasn't my idea mmo). Never tried it again.

The next big WoW clone was Age of conan, although they actually tried branching out a bit; espcially with the combat system, but ultimately lack of scope, time restraints and suits pushing for a "WoW hit" released the game in a terrible state. Many features cut, many promised content missing, bugs and crashes galore. Despite this the game was still decently fun until end game(Tortage only being fully realized withstanding). Upon end game there was litterally 0 content except Tier 1 raids and pvp if you were on a server with it.(I was Tehroth a barbarian on Cimmera rp). The game honestly had a shot at dethrone-ing or at least taking a very large portion of the mmo population(It had 1million+ buyers at launch) ultimately Funcom failed the playerbase. I very much enjoyed the time I did spend playing though.

The next large WoW clone was Warhammer online. This game was everything wrong within a mmo condensed save for the pvp. Everything from the op classes(brightmage) to uninspiring gameplay. The game died very, very fast.

Darkfall online helped take away many of Warhammer online's population, touting to be a true skill based mmorpg, which it was. This game could have had the most sucess out of any mmo released in the past 10 years. It was a phenomonal concept that was unforunately YEARS in the making. Ultimately the developers killed the game and the company that bought the title from the previous owners skewed the game away from its UO roots to a more Linage 2 grindfest game. Many simple fixes could have helped this game in the beggining, such as caps on zerging, hackers, exploit bans and later severely needed content/feature patches.

Alas the team Aventurine proactively killed this game in sights of their next variation that was a ripoff of the moba popularity, thus they put the bullet in the game that was slowly bleeding players. My most favorite mmorpg of all time, slightly pulling ahead of runescape.

Now we really entered into WoW clone territory with every mmorpg coming out litterally being a different flavor of WoW except for DCUO that killed itself via lack of content, meaningful pvp, exploits and things to do in game. Aion, Swtor,guild wars 2, wildstar,

After slews of WoW clones we reached into desperation territory and the rapid decline of mmorpgs and the true playerbase's happyiness in the genre. Years and years the suits in the video game industry catered to the casuals(that had no right in the genre to be with) and with that the dwindling population of mmos and near instant deaths of them upon release occurred. The casuals hopped to games because they don't really like the genre, and the hardcore fans hopped because they were alienated in every mmo they played. Stagnation thus killed the battle of the buzzphrase prevailed.

No trininity, no classes, no grind, ect ect. Instead of making good games we were handed gimmicks. Which helped lead into the intial kickstarter/crowdfunded indie mmorpgs. This was perhaps the end and what we've come to know. Mortal online and a slew of others touted sandbox playstyle, with meaningful gameplay and combat and many of us fell for it; tired of the state of mmos at that time.

Trash. Terrible games aimed at the disfranchised mmorpg fans that longed for the days before WoW. Instead we got in most cases a half-assed, shallow game 5+ years down the road from the initial launch date of said game(mind you 2+ years after their beta). This has become the norm and many people are still desperate which developers have noticed, gladly taking fools of their money while they promise the world.

It still may be years before we start progressing from the initial state mmos were before WoW, but thankfully there is no casual crowd to try and force mmos to be as shallow as they were during their hype years.
    Gdemami

MurderHerd