Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Let's talk EXP debt death penalty, at max level.

1235»

Comments

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    svann said:
    Sinist said:
    My hope is they stick with a fully naked CR, hefty EXP loss with level loss. There should be NO graveyards in a zone and the only way you can regain your corpse is by getting it dragged to you in the zone, or having it "summoned" to you in the zone through a spell or special skill of a certain class. Only thing I would change from original EQ concerning this is no corpse rot, it was never intended anyway, and besides, such permanent loss doesn't work well with a long term development game (ie perm death and loss is better suited for Rogue-like systems) . 

Exp debt never made any sense to me. In all the games I played, it was completely irrelevant to me, it didn't make me fear anything, it didn't have any negative other than it meant I had to wait longer to gain my next level. With exp loss and a chance to de-level, there is the threat of losing abilities and spells you obtained at that level (ie you need to level again to use them) or in some cases, it really created a threat of being locked out of a zone or area). 

If the worry is people will be capped and ding to the next level on any new expansion, well.. you can make the last level of the current content be a "shallow" level while it is the "end level". That is, make the exp amount be small enough into that level that it is easy to lose the level if you die too much. Make it something like  3-5 deaths without a rez will de-level you from 50 back to 49. 

This way, death still has a threat, and people can't simply cap out the level and never worry about losing too much exp to de-level. 

I would do that, and then on each expansion release, you expand that level to its natural exp amount which may make the exp bar look as if it is barely filled. This way, you don't get Day 1 people spamming into the first level. The entire server has to then earn its way through the level before new levels are gained. 

Just a thought and I really don't care too much about how that end cap is handled, just as it isn't a hand out.

Corpse rot has to happen or corpses become a griefing tool.

You could have someone dying hundreds, or even thousands, of times in the same place, rezzing and leaving a single junk item on their corpse each time.

This would both clog the area with eternal corpses and add significant load to the zone.

Also, if there is no corpse rot then people will store xp in preparation for the expac that raises level cap.
    Rez timers solve that problem. After a few in-game hours, you can no longer be rez'd for exp. Even if your corpse persists longer. 
    --------------------------------------------
  • SinistSinist Member RarePosts: 1,369
    edited June 2018
    Sinist said:
    My hope is they stick with a fully naked CR, hefty EXP loss with level loss. There should be NO graveyards in a zone and the only way you can regain your corpse is by getting it dragged to you in the zone, or having it "summoned" to you in the zone through a spell or special skill of a certain class. Only thing I would change from original EQ concerning this is no corpse rot, it was never intended anyway, and besides, such permanent loss doesn't work well with a long term development game (ie perm death and loss is better suited for Rogue-like systems) . 

Exp debt never made any sense to me. In all the games I played, it was completely irrelevant to me, it didn't make me fear anything, it didn't have any negative other than it meant I had to wait longer to gain my next level. With exp loss and a chance to de-level, there is the threat of losing abilities and spells you obtained at that level (ie you need to level again to use them) or in some cases, it really created a threat of being locked out of a zone or area). 

If the worry is people will be capped and ding to the next level on any new expansion, well.. you can make the last level of the current content be a "shallow" level while it is the "end level". That is, make the exp amount be small enough into that level that it is easy to lose the level if you die too much. Make it something like  3-5 deaths without a rez will de-level you from 50 back to 49. 

This way, death still has a threat, and people can't simply cap out the level and never worry about losing too much exp to de-level. 

I would do that, and then on each expansion release, you expand that level to its natural exp amount which may make the exp bar look as if it is barely filled. This way, you don't get Day 1 people spamming into the first level. The entire server has to then earn its way through the level before new levels are gained. 

Just a thought and I really don't care too much about how that end cap is handled, just as it isn't a hand out.

You could have someone dying hundreds, or even thousands, of times in the same place, rezzing and leaving a single junk item on their corpse each time.

This would both clog the area with eternal corpses and add significant load to the zone.

Easily solved by a toggle switch to view corpses. Such a command could even be a granular on allowing the player to toggle their own, their group, guild or even specific named corpses. 

Past that, if it becomes a major issue, flags can be put on accounts or even limits on the number of such corpses allowed before they disappear. 

The point is that you don't want corpse rot as a game play mechanic as it doesn't fit well with long term development systems.  Same reason that item decay doesn't work well either. Having it where people spend an enormous amount of time obtaining their gear, only to have it disappear is demoralizing. 
    Kyleran
  • SinistSinist Member RarePosts: 1,369
    svann said:
    Sinist said:

Also, if there is no corpse rot then people will store xp in preparation for the expac that raises level cap.
    Rez timers solve that problem. After a few in-game hours, you can no longer be rez'd for exp. Even if your corpse persists longer. 
    Yep, pretty much.