Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fallout 76 - Three Things I Want from Fallout 76 - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageFallout 76 - Three Things I Want from Fallout 76 - MMORPG.com

Fallout 76 stole a lot of the “show” at E3 last week. How could an always online multiplayer Fallout not do that? Still, there’s a lot about this upcoming game we don’t know, despite the interviews and previews coming out of the big reveal. We know it’ll have PVP, we know it’ll have PVE, and we know that’ll be very much a Fallout game, just in an always online and persistent world. Here then are five things I want from Fallout 76 to make it worth playing.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AlpiusAlpius Member UncommonPosts: 247
    If FO76 ends up having all three of these I might actually enjoy it. As it looks right now, it sounds like there will be little to no story, a constant gank-fest of pvp, and the same-ish crap base building of FO4.

Such a shame.
    SolancerMidPrincessPeskyinfomatzGrintch
  • BitterClingerBitterClinger Member UncommonPosts: 439
    I've already put this on my "Wait for the Steam Summer sale 6 or 12 months after release" list. And that's if the reviews are good.
    BillMurphyRedMachine72RueTheWhirl
  • molepeopomolepeopo Member UncommonPosts: 40
    Todd Howard did an interview in it basically saying you won't be able to opt out of pvp. That they want the players to basically be the raiders you seen in others games since there will be no human npcs
    Abimorchocolate42069Solancer
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    A BETTER BUILDING SYSTEM

For me the key question is how they work that into the "persistent" world...
    It sounds to me like your base is packed up when you log out and then redeployed (in a new spot) when you log in. Maybe I'm reading the details wrong... but to me that sounds horrible.
    Rain_Deathraven

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

molepeopo said:

Todd Howard did an interview in it basically saying you won't be able to opt out of pvp. That they want the players to basically be the raiders you seen in others games since there will be no human npcs

No matter what he says, I would wait until launch to see. This is only because I'm sure they know how many people wouldn't buy the game if there was no straight up PVE option, or at least a modified server for players who don't want to get killed 24/7.

I understand why he would say they want it to be that way because of the in game lore, but I just can't see them cutting off a big fragment of the community who would want nothing to do with that.
    BillMurphy[Deleted User]chocolate42069SaltyDog79bcbully[Deleted User]AlomarGrunt350infomatz
  • heerobyaheerobya Member UncommonPosts: 465
    I have a friend who is super excited about this game, but I just don't see the appeal.

Seems like a cash grab to fund Starlight or whatever and TES:6 to me.

Zero chance it'll be as story/content rich in PvE as a traditional Bethesda single player RPG given the dev timeline and stated objectives.

Also, you simply can't do the same types of quests and scenarios in a shared online space without heavy instancing and phases, which given the whole "all other humans are players, no NPCs" thing is extremely unlikely.

No VATS system as that will never work in shared online world space.

Without a plethora of content, co-op PvE will be primarily grindy generated missions, with extremely limited end-game, especially as every "MMO" and MMO ever struggles with having enough to do at end-game at launch - and this is Bethesda's first "MMO" (Zenimax did/does ESO).

The PvP also being open world and pretty much objective-less outside of the nuclear codes things, which appears to be a PvEvP kind of event...

No this looks like it is going to be a content-light "systems" based more sandbox game, focused on building and PvP but light on traditional PvE elements.

Again, appealing to some, but open-world circle jerk PvP loses it's appeal pretty quick.
    [Deleted User]SaltyDog79
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Its online and that's enough for me to not buy it. I like the lone wanderer role play of Fallout games. Not a online game with chat filled with your mom jokes and the use of the N word.
    heerobyachocolate42069BitterClingerSolancerSaltyDog79Alomar
  • NonderyonNonderyon Member UncommonPosts: 189
    I hope, Fallout 76 have a similar execution like Conan: Exiles in terms of servers, so i can create singleplayer or coop server for myself (with my friends) without any random people.
  • PhaedruslivesPhaedruslives Member UncommonPosts: 122
    Id like a lot more armor customization options. Dyes, attachments or legendary/unique alternative version of conventional armor sets. I'd like this to extend to the building tools as well. So that friends will always recognize one anothers colors or motifs from afar.
  • chocolate42069chocolate42069 Member UncommonPosts: 28

Hariken said:

Its online and that's enough for me to not buy it. I like the lone wanderer role play of Fallout games. Not a online game with chat filled with your mom jokes and the use of the N word.

On an MMO site complaining about a game being online. What has our world come to.
    Rain_Deathraven
  • mikeb0817mikeb0817 Member UncommonPosts: 79
    5=3?
  • sschruppsschrupp Member UncommonPosts: 684
    I'm totally with you on all 3 points, Bill! I reeeaaaaaally hope there's a way to avoid PvP unless I'm in the mood for it. I could have sworn I heard Todd at some point mention server technology like Destiny in that it can phase people in and out of a player's experience depending on events and such.

If that's the case it'd be great if a player could opt in/out of PvP. That way players could experience what they want. If you like PvP, presto the servers merge you with other like-minded individuals. Feel like just chilling with some friends to work on RPG-ish stuff, badda-bing there ya go, no worrying about headshots around every tree and corner.
  • immoralthangimmoralthang Member RarePosts: 300
    edited June 2018

heerobya said:

I have a friend who is super excited about this game, but I just don't see the appeal.

Seems like a cash grab to fund Starlight or whatever and TES:6 to me.

I think re-releasing Skyrim on every platform helped fund Starfield and ES VI
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    The three things I want is for it to be an mmorpg and not a crafting game - x3.
  • AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    edited June 2018
    I have yet to see a multiplayer online game which could compete concerning story against the best single player games. And regarding PvP on your own terms all we know so far is that this will not be the case. A better building system ... maybe. But is building really important in a FFA PvP game ? Building in such games is usually a waste of time. These games are about getting equipped as fast as possible and then go kill other players. So far F76 is aimed at the PvP community who just wants a fast kick and nuke stuff. Maybe Bethesda is successfull with this strategy, maybe not. The competition for PvP players is quite harsh, lot's of games out there which cater to those. Even free games. And it's definitly not their old Fallout community they want to attracht with F76. Unfortunately the single player rpg market is one where very few games get released each year.
    SolancerPesky
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited June 2018
    Is it too much now to ask for story, lore and atmosphere from a Bethesda game?
    [Deleted User]
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Scot said:
    Is it too much now to ask for story, lore and atmosphere from a Bethesda game?
    It's exactly "two" too much- we get atmosphere here, light on what appears to be lore and story. :D 

• heerobyaheerobya Member UncommonPosts: 465
    edited June 2018
    Maybe more like a stress/concept test for multiplayer in future Bethesda titles like Starfield and TES:6.
  • SolancerSolancer Member UncommonPosts: 121
    edited June 2018
    Well if anyone ask me and I would say, FO76 is Beth version of Battle Royale with Hide and Seek map size , just wonderful. Indeed it look far more of gearing up as fast as you can so the PKers are really to gang rapes anything even trees to death just like soooooooooooo many other PvP games came before.

This FO76 wannabe ALWAYS ONLINE DRM so Todd can monitor and SELL you a BETTER gun from the CREATION CLUB to get revenge. Why create content like most mmo when you can slap on that PvP and let themselves killed each other for free.

Still in my humble opinions, FO76 is still a test project for always online DRM and Creation Club trail run 2 and IF ppl Buy into FO76 this means all future Beth games can employ those 2 crap elements like they been TRYING for years with Fallout 4.

SO in truth we really should WORRY about future games from Bethesda instead of this test project/cash shop hell/why called it Fallout at all if its "A SPIN OFF" answer me this? Its obviously they want to SELL as many copy as possible, thus use the "Fallout" name brand when it not really caters to FANs of Fallout Series.

AS far as I can tell ppl ONLY want open world with stories and ofc FREE MODs support FROM Bethesda games. Sure you can expand to other area but don't call it Fallout, its also laughable when they mocking others, and Beth will save single player games then came about 360 and release MPG o_O. THEY should have went with STARFIELD instead. OR maybe they wanted the cash grab before they work on Starfield lmao was their plan, who knows.
  • SaltyDog79SaltyDog79 Member UncommonPosts: 119

molepeopo said:

No matter what he says, I would wait until launch to see. This is only because I'm sure they know how many people wouldn't buy the game if there was no straight up PVE option, or at least a modified server for players who don't want to get killed 24/7.

I understand why he would say they want it to be that way because of the in game lore, but I just can't see them cutting off a big fragment of the community who would want nothing to do with that.

Well said. If they do stick with this idea, I'm out. Which is a shame, as I've enjoyed every Fallout game so far.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited June 2018
    I'm not sure they could do anything to this to make me want to play it short of adding fully fleshed out, voice acted NPCs to it.

It's not like striking out on your own in FO4, exploring and killing things on your own isn't also a fun part of that game, but it's fun, to me at least, only because it's a secondary optional thing to do.

The real fun is the well developed story arc that relies on those NPCs and the relationships you build with them to advance the story and the many faction interactions between them.

Quests generated by pieces of paper and other things you may run into while exploring FO76 (which were an additional part of FO4 also) all by themselves will simply not do the trick to make a post-nuclear West Virginia interesting and deep. And other random players subbing in for the missing NPCs, well... take a look around any other online multiplayer game and you'll see that 99% of other players have no interest in acting in any way that would be consistent with the game's setting.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• MidPrincessMidPrincess Member UncommonPosts: 89
    I mean I like anal jokes in chat as much as the next sicko, just not in my Fallout. Unless I'm talking smack to the latest hovel full of NPCs I murdered for their caps, and that aspect is apparently gone lol
    Hariken
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    edited June 2018

molepeopo said:

I’m not sure you get it. Devs don’t care about the tiny population of gamers who don’t want pvp on.

The population is so tiny that they can’t even sustain a new big budget mmo. Quest, raid, rise repeat is dead. Maybe there will be a few devs that make a few single player games for you guys.

MMOs from here through foreseeable will be where the money is, and that’s pvp.

Post edited by bcbully on
    acidbloodmmolouGobstopper3D
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    For centuries these people have lived in vaults in peace and when they finally get out they go for each others throats? There must be some vague story behind all this that explains this self-destructive behaviour? :D
    HarikenMidPrincess
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    I sure hope this does not spell the end of "traditonal" Fallout RPG's... :(