Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Official Cinematic Trailer EA Play 2018 - Anthem Game Trailer

13»

Comments

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    edited June 2018
    I thought Shape of Water was absolutely amazing. Everything about it was so well done. The music, the way the colours moved, the atmosphere and the whole story while nothing spectacular by itself since it is a common tale the way it was told was so beautiful. I think women reacted differently my husband was not too impressed by the movie as I was.
    Post edited by kitarad on

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,855

IGN has a lot of videos covering gameplay, hands-on impressions and story

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    What is this? A Destiny mod?

Joined - July 2004

• RhomsRhoms Member UncommonPosts: 174
    It looks somewhat interesting, but frankly, even after E3, we still barely know anything about this game, and from what I have seen, it just doesn't have a wow factor.  I haven't seen anything that makes this game special.  If it's not a Destiny clone, Bioware needs to show how it differs.  You can hop in different suits - is that it?  They are too smart to think that no one will compare this to Destiny.

In January, I was hoping 2018 would be a good year for gaming, perhaps even the Year of the MMORPG.  So far, it's shaping up to be Year of the Clones (everybody's battle royale mode, Anthem) or Year of the Dud.  Cross your fingers - we still have half a year left for redemption.
    SBFord

Current game: Pillars of Eternity

Played: UO, AC, Eve, Fallen Earth, Aion, GW, GW2 

Tried: WOW, Rift, SWTOR, ESO 

Future: Camelot Unchained?  Crowfall?  Bless?

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited June 2018
    As a Mass Effect fan and someone who genuinely believes that EA / BW has killed off a great IP, this just feels like a slap in the face:

https://imgur.com/KB6PkR3

If you don't want to visit, check out the trailer again at the 9:48 timestamp.

Like salt in a wound, BioWare. :/
    RhomsScot

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Rhoms said:
    It looks somewhat interesting, but frankly, even after E3, we still barely know anything about this game, and from what I have seen, it just doesn't have a wow factor.  I haven't seen anything that makes this game special.  If it's not a Destiny clone, Bioware needs to show how it differs.  You can hop in different suits - is that it?  They are too smart to think that no one will compare this to Destiny.

In January, I was hoping 2018 would be a good year for gaming, perhaps even the Year of the MMORPG.  So far, it's shaping up to be Year of the Clones (everybody's battle royale mode, Anthem) or Year of the Dud.  Cross your fingers - we still have half a year left for redemption.
    Maybe it will be something more than a clone. At this point we don;t know.

However EA will be very happy if people simply see "Destiny clone" and buy it. Since one way it differs from Destiny is its made by EA and so EA will get the money.

(Three Billboards would have been fine as well. Key point being: popular films rarely win awards.)
    RhomsIselin
  • RhomsRhoms Member UncommonPosts: 174
    SBFord said:
    gervaise1 said:

However EA will be very happy if people simply see "Destiny clone" and buy it. Since one way it differs from Destiny is its made by EA and so EA will get the money.
    Going through this thread, there seems to be a disconnect between what we want and what we've seen so far.  Is Bioware giving the players what they want?  Instead, I'm inclined to think that they are telling us what we should want, and we should want it because it's from Bioware.
    SBFord

Current game: Pillars of Eternity

Played: UO, AC, Eve, Fallen Earth, Aion, GW, GW2 

Tried: WOW, Rift, SWTOR, ESO 

Future: Camelot Unchained?  Crowfall?  Bless?

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    Iselin said:
    Scot said:

Iselin said:

Emeraq said:

SBFord said:

Honestly, I'm not impressed. It just seems so...flat somehow. This is the first game that BioWare has ever made that I am going to pass on. Watching gameplay was "eh".

Makes me pretty sad. BioWare was always my go-to for great action ROLEPLAYING games. This just doesn't give me that vibe. So...whatevs. I'll wait and see.

Agreed, I think the last bioware sighting was Dragon Age Origins, Mass Effect 1, and maybe hit and miss in 2.. Sometimes I think I'm seeing them here and there in ME 3, or DAI, but ultimately I think it's just a mirage in the desert playing with my head.

Regardless of whether you liked the other DAs or MEs whenever they used to announce a new one in those series they always highlighted story and setting. Like I said, with Anthem I have no clue where you are or why you're fighting. Story promotion = 0.

That is just such a difference from the traditional Bioware way of promoting that I would never know it was a Bioware game if they didn't use logo. 

I don't think EA has ever been totally convinced that roleplaying in games is a money spinner. they see it as very hit or miss. A huge investment for a risky return.

I am as always taking Anthem for what it is, who makes it does not matter to me. I like what I see, but that may have very little bearing on what we get. As always wait for the reviews.

I play games. I don't make them or invest in them. My perspective when judging a game has nothing to do with whether a company would be wiser to invest its money on something that gives them a better ROI with less risk.

RPGs and MMORPGS are my primary gaming interest or I wouldn't be here right now. If Bioware won't be making those any more, well that's where I get off the Bioware fan train.

I have always been a Bioware fan because of their focus on strong RPGs, their stories and lore. Their history of focusing on RPGs is the only reason I even paid any attention to Anthem in the first place. Shooters are not in my wheelhouse unless they are primarily RPGs with shooter action mechanics in the game play.

My point in my previous posts, if it wasn't clear, is all about the fact that this is looking like a significant departure for them in making a game where RPG, story and lore is not their primary focus: looking cool, flying and blowing shit up is. At least that's what I'm seeing from what they have shown so far. I see a Destiny clone and that is the type of game I almost always give a hard pass to - lootbox shenanigans or no lootboxes - unless I'm really, really bored.

Whether you like this type of game or not is irrelevant in the context of whether this is the type of game that they are known for doing best. They're making something quite different from their traditional games which ironically, should appeal more to the many Bioware haters out there, not their fans. I don't see any need for the alt right to hate and campaign against this one, do you? :)
    I actually agree with you here, but I think Bioware have been living on borrowed time at EA for the reasons I mentioned. I can remember an EA executive saying how they intended to wind down the Bioware name less than a year after they took over the company.

Do we need another Destiny? I am all for better games so will judge it on its own merits. Is it what Bioware who have made some of the best games ever should be making, no of course not. I really don't think this has anything to do with protests about previous excellent Bioware games, sadly it is about EA marketing strategy, "make us a GAAS game or go under". :(

Iselin
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    edited June 2018
    Nibs said:
    Scot said:
    <snip>

The one thing I did find rather odd, is that outside their sanctuaries they always have their helmets on. That means we do not get to see faces, I applaud the realism but it defies entertainment principles. We must always see the face, does not matter if it is film or gaming, it is a stupid principle in my eyes but one religiously adhered to.

As the writers create the world the face rule is not always obvious. It is in film and TV treatments of other media where it becomes obvious. So Spiderman can't wait to take his mask off even when fighting villains (oh it got damaged again...right), same for Ironman etc. Thor does not wear a helmet.

So the principle is as soon as you can get the helmet or mask off, my guess is that they are not ready to show faces in combat for development reasons and that will come later with an "invisible helmet" tick box.

<snip>
    Darth Vader, C3-PO, Boba Fett (RotJ), Judge Dredd (the Dredd version, not the Stalone version), Wilson (Home Improvement), V (V For Vendetta).

In fact, here's a link to TV Tropes's list of "The Faceless": http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheFaceless 

Certain people think you have to show the face, including people responsible for making that very decision, but as you can see, it's not entirely true.

I agree but it is so rare, the bigger and actor you are the more it goes out of the window. As exemplified by your list, who played those parts? When Stallone plays DD of course we must see the face. From a marketing point of view you can see why, "you want us to hire a big name but we hardly see his face?" That's why Spiderman only had the mask of in combat during the later films, he was a face by then.

I think the Faceless is a great part of entertainment, long may it at least survive somewhere, somehow. :)
  • BakgrindBakgrind Member UncommonPosts: 423
    Rhoms said:
    SBFord said:
    gervaise1 said:

Going through this thread, there seems to be a disconnect between what we want and what we've seen so far.  Is Bioware giving the players what they want?  Instead, I'm inclined to think that they are telling us what we should want, and we should want it because it's from Bioware.
    Good point and it does show that Anthem is  clearly a game that was made without the primary concern of their current fan base in mind. Normally I do not blame EA for a lot of Biowares missteps,but in this case I feel it is warranted since Anthem is pretty much the type of game that EA wants for their studios going forward.  Games like that will have their new business model of being a " Live Service" And It's just easier and faster to develop and ship a game that doesn't have a lot of rpg features to it.  
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Looks like destiny meets the division.
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    I hate to point this out guys, but Bioware doesn't exist in the sense that it did in the past.  They are no longer the Great Story Tellers, that we remember.  They are little more than a shell of their former self, that EA is using to pad its bottom line for the investor types.

Sadly, just like Bungie these days.  It took an outside company coming in, to have even a chance of September being even worth bothering with. 

Anthems video was entertaining, but it left so many questions unanswered.  I suspect its pointed at a demographic that has shall we say, "lower standards"... :)

As with all such things, time will tell the tale.
    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    I've got the daddy EA mass studio grave gif ready in case it comes out monetized all to hell or mediocre as hell. :D 

Here's to hoping I'll get to pass up on using it!
    WraithoneSBFord

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• ysquare21ysquare21 Member UncommonPosts: 30
    edited June 2018
    I would really like to get some actual information on Anthem because so far it really only sets itself apart by mentioning all the things it actually does not have.

No companions and no romance (to be fair, I didn't expect it), no PvP and less impact of the choices you make than in previous Bioware games.

Why is there no mention of the lore or the story? What is Anthem actually about? Why are there no snow or desert regions? Won't the jungle scenery get old fast? Why make the hub of the game an instance if the choices you make won't shape it profoundly?

The rest just looks very generic and uninspired, starting from the artwork to the enemies we have seen so far. What makes Anthem actually unique? It doesn't seem to be the scenery, artwork or combat. If Anthem is supposed to save Bioware then good luck. At this point I'm more worried about what will happen to its IPs (Dragon Age and Mass Effect). Maybe it will be a good thing for Bioware to actually end. This way we can hope that EA hands off these IPs to others who might be thrilled to take over. Here is something I just don't understand about EA and I don't have a background in business so I really might just miss something. Why did it buy a company making roleplaying games and then try its very best to change everything about it? Everythign that made it unique? SWTOR I understand, as Bioware tried to bring its brand of storytelling to an MMO (to varying degrees of success depending on who you ask). Wouldn't it make sense to have a studio develop Anthem that is better suited to this particular type of game development. Both Andromeda and DA:I especially were huge financial successes. Why not focus on those IPs?
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,855
    ysquare21 said:
    I would really like to get some actual information on Anthem because so far it really only sets itself apart by mentioning all the things it actually does not have.

No companions and no romance (to be fair, I didn't expect it), no PvP and less impact of the choices you make than in previous Bioware games.

Why is there no mention of the lore or the story? What is Anthem actually about? Why are there no snow or desert regions? Won't the jungle scenery get old fast? Why make the hub of the game an instance if the choices you make won't shape it profoundly?
    They mentioned lore and story in a lot of the interview videos. Like how the world was created by Gods but left unfinished. The Gods left behind their extremely powerful tools and several different factions now want those tools for their own purposes.

Its about protecting the Anthem of Creation which can create worlds.

Those werent ready to be shown. The game is over 8 months away, some areas are not going to be finished. Just because they didnt show them during the demo doesnt mean they dont exist.

The hub being instanced is so they can present story and quests. Some story quests will have choices which will affect or change things in the hub town.

Seems like when they didnt show or say everything you wanted to see during the stage demo you got angry, even though most of the things you wanted to know were said in off-stage interviews.

And, similar to other people like SBFord, now that the game isnt going to be what you wanted it to be are also angry about that too. Its not a singleplayer RPG, get over it.
    ysquare21
  • ysquare21ysquare21 Member UncommonPosts: 30
    Xiaoki said:
    ysquare21 said:

They mentioned lore and story in a lot of the interview videos. Like how the world was created by Gods but left unfinished. The Gods left behind their extremely powerful tools and several different factions now want those tools for their own purposes.

Its about protecting the Anthem of Creation which can create worlds.

Those werent ready to be shown. The game is over 8 months away, some areas are not going to be finished. Just because they didnt show them during the demo doesnt mean they dont exist.

The hub being instanced is so they can present story and quests. Some story quests will have choices which will affect or change things in the hub town.

Seems like when they didnt show or say everything you wanted to see during the stage demo you got angry, even though most of the things you wanted to know were said in off-stage interviews.

And, similar to other people like SBFord, now that the game isnt going to be what you wanted it to be are also angry about that too. Its not a singleplayer RPG, get over it.

How am I angry? Or disappointed for that matter? We all knew that Anthem was not going to be a singleplayer RPG and I am fine with that. However, if you come late to the shared world shooter genre then I expected more.  I posted this after the first showing of Anthem. I do know now more about the game but most of it still sounds meh. Those that got to play the game say pretty much the same thing, solid and polished combat but nothing really new. Not design wise, combat wise and so on. There is no standout feature so far that makes Anthem unique.

The lore is beyond basic at this point. Could have written that in a day and sounds a lot like Wildstar to be honest. If the Gods story lore gets you excited then be my guest. While it might very well have an amazing story and lots of lore to discover, so far it is rather generic and basic to me. The two faction enemies are pretty faceless as well. I'm not hating and I'm prepared to be surprised but everything they have said so far is just 'meh'. Nothing bad, but nothing about the world it is set in grabs me either. Nothing wants me to get to know more.

I know that about the hub. They also said, however, that choices will not change the hub that much and that choices are far less impactful than in previous Bioware games. If you seperate the hub and it can't be shared than why not go all out and make it customizable? The story should also have immediate impact and change the hub accordingly. Why else seperate you from others then? Sounds half-hearted to me.

It's not about hating on the game. They showed off a product at a presentation and nothing about it excited me personally. They keep sayign what it isn't, but not what it actually is. What is its unique selling point?