Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Tale in the Desert 3

ZhanghiaZhanghia Member UncommonPosts: 1,312
Why do they keep making more and more Tale in the Desert. Do people actually finish the game, are they using the same old code but trying over? Can someone explain to me why they keep doing this?

Comments

• Jimmy_ScytheJimmy_Scythe Member CommonPosts: 3,586

It's basically just a client update. The current players don't have to pay anything additional to play, and the old game is no longer up and running. This happens every time they want to add new features to the game world. I'm not quite sure what they added between 1 and 2 (I don't really play this game that often), but I'm sure there's some new feature that will require an overhaul. In fact, you don't pay for the software, you pay a subscription only. So it really doesn't matter that they release a new one since you don't have to buy a box.

• RiotgirlRiotgirl Member UncommonPosts: 520

I believe that unlike traditional MMORPGs with a persistent world, ATITD has a fixed ending point dependent on either the objectives that have been set being met or a pre-determined time-scale. Forget about comparing it to other games on the market because ATITD really does feature dynamics that are revolutionary by MMORPG standards.

I was thinking about trying out ATITD during its next iteration (ATITD 3, I think?) because although I like traditional MMORPGs, I think Vanguard (if it delivers) may well be my last. I want something completely different: a genuine sandbox game or a product like ATITD.

Regards,
    Riotgirl

"If you think I'm plucky and scrappy and all I need is love, you're in way over your head. I don't have a heart of gold or get nice. There are a lot nicer people coming up. We call them losers."

• Clever_GloveClever_Glove Member Posts: 996
    I have nothing to add, just all the posted had 03 for their registered date, so I want to chime in. Been a long time riotgirl. ;)

-=-=-=-=-
    Achievers realise that killers as a concept are necessary in order to make achievement meaningful and worthwhile (there being no way to "lose" the game if any fool can "win" just by plodding slowly unchallenged). -bartle

Bartle: A: 93% E: 55% S:3% K: 50% The Test. Learn what it means here.

• BahkBahk Member Posts: 259

Originally posted by Riotgirl

I believe that unlike traditional MMORPGs with a persistent world, ATITD has a fixed ending point dependent on either the objectives that have been set being met or a pre-determined time-scale. Forget about comparing it to other games on the market because ATITD really does feature dynamics that are revolutionary by MMORPG standards.

I was thinking about trying out ATITD during its next iteration (ATITD 3, I think?) because although I like traditional MMORPGs, I think Vanguard (if it delivers) may well be my last. I want something completely different: a genuine sandbox game or a product like ATITD.

Regards,
    Riotgirl

You should check out somthing like Adellion or Trials of asension although both are gunna be in development forever :( Vangaurds also good basically my only hope left for a commercial mmorpg currently.

• ianubisiianubisi Member Posts: 4,201

A Tale in the Desert has a set of goals that must be accomplished by a fixed date (though that date is never absolutely known in advance). Seven monuments must be built and "christened" by one leader of each of seven disciplines, each of which has seven trials to complete. Each iteration of A Tale in the Desert starts over from scratch.

It is a very unique game.