Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW CLASSIC News - It Will Begin with Patch 1.12, Drums of War - World of Warcraft - MMORPG.com

Comments

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    vanilla wow servers is definitely viable. the most popular vanilla private server (nostralius) had 800k registered accounts and 150k active accounts. thats a pretty big amount. even if only 50k(even 25k) end up subbing for classic servers thats a decent amount imo.
    Oh please. If we give mmo companies shit when they bring out the "registered accounts and active account" bs, what makes you think we should give nostralius a pass for doing it?

The only thing that matters is how many people are logging in on average to actually play their server.
    Soki123

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• ragebulletragebullet Member UncommonPosts: 55
    All i can say is when i played nost, it had better pop than my server on retail (akama) even in the beginner zones lol so obviously there was a decent amount of ppl playing it, and then you have the massive amount of ppl sitting in cities like stormwind/org.
    All i can say is when i played nost, it had better pop than my server on retail (akama) even in the beginner zones lol so obviously there was a decent amount of ppl playing it, and then you have the massive amount of ppl sitting in cities like stormwind/org.
    Blizzard has like what 70 different servers splitting the population? Nostralius had how many?

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Sephiroso said:
    Blizzard has like what 70 different servers splitting the population? Nostralius had how many?
    Look up a couple posts for the quotes you were looking for.  You might find them enlightening.

Sephiroso said:
    That's so helpful. Gonna assume you were lying or taking an actual quote out of context then.
    "I think there will be a lot of tourists," he adds. "But it doesn’t matter what I think because once we’re committed to doing this at a Blizzard level, which we are, whatever happens is going to happen. If millions of people show up and play for years, that’s awesome. And if just tens of people show up and play for years, we’re fine either way. What’s important to us is that we have this Classic experience people can enjoy, that people do have the opportunity to go back to. This is an important game in videogame history and there’s not a way to go back and experience that today. This is also about preserving something that we think is really important." (Emphasis added by me)

https://www.pcgamer.com/this-is-how-blizzard-plans-to-finally-bring-back-vanilla-wow-servers/

Also, another quote of note:

"Those people don't just want the old gameplay features, they want the constant social connection. And so we can't just support it for a couple of months and then if it's not working out, ditch it. There has to be an assurance that you can build this character, build this guild, build these friendships, and the server will continue."

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-11-04-wow-classic-blizzard-answers-some-of-the-big-questions

To recap: Brack and the team aren't requiring (or expecting) any certain amount of players, and they plan on continuing the server and giving players that assurance that it will continue so no one has any hesitation about starting a character on a server that might be shut down right after.  EDIT- his stance is even more extreme than my paraphrasing.
    Appreciating you being a better person than he who shall not be named and actually providing the link to the quote.

Well, i'll shut my mouth for the time being on them shutting the servers down even if it flops. I'm guessing the amount of money it will take to keep it going isn't that extensive so they figure they don't need many players to be making money to keep it going.

Though i will add another quote from that very same article that still backs what i've been saying in this thread.

"As a longtime World of Warcraft player, even I don’t know whether Classic servers will be a success. My guess is once the initial wave of tourists dies down, there will only be a small core group of people left."

Granted, he said even if that happens that it's okay but still. That doesn't scream this resounding success people here are thinking wow classic is gonna be.

• ragebulletragebullet Member UncommonPosts: 55
    If you only consider 1 million players a success then nearly all mmos have failed man. be realistic this is going to be a niche server for a niche audience. just as all the private servers have been. nost was just the most popular ive seen personally. also your whole 70 server arguement is semi true but still if they dont mind keeping a medium/low population retail server up then why wont vanilla work in that same regard? especially since the tech required for a vanilla server will most likely be on the low end compared to live.
    edited June 2018
    Sephiroso said:
    Sephiroso said:
    That's so helpful. Gonna assume you were lying or taking an actual quote out of context then.
    "I think there will be a lot of tourists," he adds. "But it doesn’t matter what I think because once we’re committed to doing this at a Blizzard level, which we are, whatever happens is going to happen. If millions of people show up and play for years, that’s awesome. And if just tens of people show up and play for years, we’re fine either way. What’s important to us is that we have this Classic experience people can enjoy, that people do have the opportunity to go back to. This is an important game in videogame history and there’s not a way to go back and experience that today. This is also about preserving something that we think is really important." (Emphasis added by me)

https://www.pcgamer.com/this-is-how-blizzard-plans-to-finally-bring-back-vanilla-wow-servers/

"Those people don't just want the old gameplay features, they want the constant social connection. And so we can't just support it for a couple of months and then if it's not working out, ditch it. There has to be an assurance that you can build this character, build this guild, build these friendships, and the server will continue."

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-11-04-wow-classic-blizzard-answers-some-of-the-big-questions

To recap: Brack and the team aren't requiring (or expecting) any certain amount of players, and they plan on continuing the server and giving players that assurance that it will continue so no one has any hesitation about starting a character on a server that might be shut down right after.  EDIT- his stance is even more extreme than my paraphrasing.
    Appreciating you being a better person than he who shall not be named and actually providing the link to the quote.

Well, i'll shut my mouth for the time being on them shutting the servers down even if it flops. I'm guessing the amount of money it will take to keep it going isn't that extensive so they figure they don't need many players to be making money to keep it going.

Though i will add another quote from that very same article that still backs what i've been saying in this thread.

"As a longtime World of Warcraft player, even I don’t know whether Classic servers will be a success. My guess is once the initial wave of tourists dies down, there will only be a small core group of people left."

Granted, he said even if that happens that it's okay but still. That doesn't scream this resounding success people here are thinking wow classic is gonna be.

That's the thing, it seems that the team genuinely is doing this for fan service, not to make a quick buck.  They should be lauded for it, because it's not something that's incredibly common.

EDIT- I'll also admit that it may have a secondary benefit of giving Blizzard more fuel to their "we're gonna shut down private servers" position.
    MrMelGibson

Sephiroso said:
    Sephiroso said:

That's the thing, it seems that the team genuinely is doing this for fan service, not to make a quick buck.  They should be lauded for it, because it's not something that's incredibly common.

EDIT- I'll also admit that it may have a secondary benefit of giving Blizzard more fuel to their "we're gonna shut down private servers" position.
    They would honestly be crazy not too after starting their own service like this. That's just giving up so much free money if they continued to ignore them.

Sephiroso said:
    Sephiroso said:
    Sephiroso said:

They would honestly be crazy not too after starting their own service like this. That's just giving up so much free money if they continued to ignore them.
    I agree, and I don't see any problem whatsoever with them taking a harder line on those servers once they launch Classic.  If consumers are going to piss and moan that Blizzard is shutting them down without giving players who want that experience an option, they really will have to shut up once the Classic server launches and allow Blizzard to go after these private servers.
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibson

• Riotact007Riotact007 Member UncommonPosts: 246
    Having never played wow, would this be a good place to start?
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    I must get in on ground zero because I want my character to grow with the server. Not sure if I want to redo all that content I have played so many times over the years starting different characters on a at least 30 servers. That is the one thing that is holding me back and making me reconsider , the repetition, it's going to be monotonous.
    Chamber of Chains
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    edited June 2018
    SBFord said:
    mgilbrtsn said:
    I think this is doomed to short term success. People are gonna go in with those rose colored glasses and when they reach end game are gonna wonder...'where's some new content.' I could be wrong obviously, but MMOs that have no 'evolution' in terms of content, get hammered.
    As reluctant as I am to agree with you, I truly do. The way people consume content these days, what's inside the classic vanilla experience isn't going to be enough. People kvetch about largescale games "not having enough" content. I can't imagine what this could turn out like and how fast people will buzz through it.
    Not only that. Most of them have been so "conditioned" to today's faceroll (endgame) content with Dungeon Finder, no need for communication and just faceroll the majority of dungeons, with no strategy whatsoever (unless you run Mythics).

The moment they reach their first dungeon in Classic, they will quit in agony, as they will suddenly realize they actually have to put effort in making friends, socialize and try to get a dungeon group together. 
    And if the dungeons are true Vanilla difficulty, they actually have to communicate and work together to defeat the bosses.

So those rose tinted glass will already burst to pieces at the first dungeon. lol.
  • summerstringssummerstrings Member UncommonPosts: 76
    It depends what you like . Vanilla WoW was a game with a lot more challenge and depth to it where as retail WoW has generally easier gameplay and quality of life aspects to it . 

For instance in classic WoW you had to travel to dungeons to be able to do them where as in retail WoW you have access to a group finder . 

This year retail WoW brought out a patch which introduced scaling into zones and from my limited experience of it I must admit it did make the game less easy and in turn more enjoyable ( prior to that mobs offered no real challenge at all ) , 

The other thing to remember is retail WoW notoriously has one of the most toxic communities in the mmo genre . When I played it I tried to find a decent friendly mature guild and turned off whisper, say and yell channels , I found it a far more enjoyable experience after that . 
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    The classic servers are going to be a joke.   Getting people together to do 40 man raids is going to be next to impossible.  There is no decent crafting so what are people going to do once they hit 60?  As much as I dislike the way Wow has progressed, it has come far since the launch and going back to the beginning just sounds really dumb to me.
    [Deleted User]
  • btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    Everyone needs to remember this one simple thing.... the classic WoW that you played and the one that Blizzard will offer is not going to be the same.

Whose to say you have to travel to the dungeons?  Whose to day it will even have 40 man dungeons.  Whose to say it's not using all the new models and textures.  Whose to say it's not retail WoW with just some tweaks to it?

For someone who has never played WoW, it would not be a good place to start.  It's neither retail WoW nor classic... it's something else.
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    It's quite clear that Blizzard will not change anything in Classic, at least at the start. 
  • btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    Because the talents are going to be drastically different than retail it will have to be housed on it's own servers.  It will likely be more akin to Diablo in terms of access than retail WoW.  As in you buy to play, but not necessarily have a subscription to play because they KNOW there will be no balancing, no updates, no nothing once it is released.  Again, they have said very little about the game itself.  Most of the talk is speculation from the player base.  I suspect the game will be released shortly after Blizzcon this year.
  • summerstringssummerstrings Member UncommonPosts: 76
    edited June 2018
    btdt said:
    Everyone needs to remember this one simple thing.... the classic WoW that you played and the one that Blizzard will offer is not going to be the same.

Whose to say you have to travel to the dungeons?  Whose to day it will even have 40 man dungeons.  Whose to say it's not using all the new models and textures.  Whose to say it's not retail WoW with just some tweaks to it?

For someone who has never played WoW, it would not be a good place to start.  It's neither retail WoW nor classic... it's something else.

I can answer that for you , Blizzard have already said that vanilla means vanilla ( or as close as to the original experience as possible )  and have been quite clear it will not be some modern iteration of Vanilla with quality of life features such as fast travel to dungeons . I do wonder whether they might opt for the new models and textures . 

edited June 2018
    It depends what you like . Vanilla WoW was a game with a lot more challenge and depth to it where as retail WoW has generally easier gameplay and quality of life aspects to it . 

For instance in classic WoW you had to travel to dungeons to be able to do them where as in retail WoW you have access to a group finder . 

This year retail WoW brought out a patch which introduced scaling into zones and from my limited experience of it I must admit it did make the game less easy and in turn more enjoyable ( prior to that mobs offered no real challenge at all ) , 

The other thing to remember is retail WoW notoriously has one of the most toxic communities in the mmo genre . When I played it I tried to find a decent friendly mature guild and turned off whisper, say and yell channels , I found it a far more enjoyable experience after that . 
    I think saying Vanilla WoW had a lot of depth to it is a bit of a joke. Modern WoW has a lot more depth than vanilla WoW. And if you think only modern WoW had a toxic community, just holy shit what time period do you think the barrens chat originated from?

Do you not remember all the early youtube videos of 13 year old raid leaders freaking out on their raid members in Onyxia and MC?

Not to mention all the rampant ninja'ing that went on back then. Vanilla WoW bred toxicity with the way it was built.

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    edited June 2018
    Two words:

Shaman
    Tanking

Never have they sounded better together. Now I pray my memory isn't playing tricks on me and this was already a viable option in 1.12 and not later...

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    [Deleted User]
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,429
    edited June 2018
    lahnmir said:
    Two words:

Shaman
    Tanking

Never have they sounded better together. Now I pray my memory isn't playing tricks on me and this was already a viable option in 1.12 and not later...

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    I tanked the whole RFK in retail vanilla as a shaman and most of the Sunken Temple (excluding Eranikus and Avatar of Hakkar,) where i also healed myself. There's very little difference in armor values between a warrior and a shaman in late 30's and early 40's when warriors are not yet full plate but shamans have already gotten some mail armor.

So yes, i can confirm it's totally doable in 1.12.
    lahnmirMrMelGibson
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    deniter said:
    lahnmir said:
    Two words:

Shaman
    Tanking

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    I tanked the whole RFK in retail vanilla as a shaman and most of the Sunken Temple (excluding Eranikus and Avatar of Hakkar,) where i also healed myself. There's very little difference in armor values between a warrior and a shaman in late 30's and early 40's when warriors are not yet full plate but shamans have already gotten some mail armor.

So yes, i can confirm it's totally doable in 1.12.
    You sir, made my day.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    MrMelGibson
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Sephiroso said:

I think saying Vanilla WoW had a lot of depth to it is a bit of a joke. Modern WoW has a lot more depth than vanilla WoW. And if you think only modern WoW had a toxic community, just holy shit what time period do you think the barrens chat originated from?

Do you not remember all the early youtube videos of 13 year old raid leaders freaking out on their raid members in Onyxia and MC?

Not to mention all the rampant ninja'ing that went on back then. Vanilla WoW bred toxicity with the way it was built.
    Any examples of how current WoW has more depth?

People generally agree that cross realm and LFR has resulted in a more toxic playerbase, when you only saw people from your own server your reputation was more important.

I don't understand why you are so vehemently opposed to vanilla WoW, it's happening no matter how much you dislike the idea... 
    Sephiroso said:

Any examples of how current WoW has more depth?

People generally agree that cross realm and LFR has resulted in a more toxic playerbase, when you only saw people from your own server your reputation was more important.

I don't understand why you are so vehemently opposed to vanilla WoW, it's happening no matter how much you dislike the idea... 
    Exactly how am i vehemently opposed to vanilla WoW? What words have i used to express this?

As for how current WoW has more depth. There's 4 different modes to dungeons. Normal, heroic, mythic, mythic+. Mythic+ by far added so much depth its crazy with the mods changing week to week and it literally forces you to change your strategy on how to clear the dungeon depending on what the mods are for that week.

Raiding also has 3 different modes, normal, heroic, and mythic(i don't count lfr as that's just to let people experience the story without needing to know how to play). And again, you sometimes have to change your strategy depending on what difficulty level you're raiding and really have to be more and more on top of your shit with each difficulty.

There's a shit ton of collectibility in current WoW that wasn't in vanilla WoW(battle pets, ACHIEVEMENTS, transmog). Crafting is much more expansive in current WoW than it was in vanilla WoW. World events are a lot more fleshed out and there's more added in current WoW, there's even mini events which are fun to go around doing when you're just looking for something random to do.

Seriously, how can you sit there with a straight face and say vanilla WoW has more depth than current WoW? Vanilla WoW you had 1 raid difficulty and that was it. You had 1 dungeon difficulty and that was it. There were no different mods to dungeons to make them feel fresh. Just endlessly grinding the same mobs, the same way, the same difficulty. Crafting was basically pointless in vanilla WoW, except maybe a few entry level pieces for resist here and there as dungeon gear was so much better than anything you could craft same level, that it wasn't worth the time effort to craft gear when you out leveled it so quickly.

First aid was more useful than most of the professions back then lol. Well alchemy was pretty boss too. Engineering for pvp as usual too.
    Nepheth

• blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Collecting (transmog, battlepets, achievements) doesn't add depth - it add something for little children to do.
    Dungeon Modes don't add depth - they add different easymode choices for kids that were unable to handle a standard difficulty for all players.
    Vanilla WoW had a much higher difficulty and systems that support it.
    Talent Trees offered real, actual build choices for people.  Not an easy mode pick one of three and we'll do all the thinking for you.  One character that was the same until you used one of 51 points to customize him or her.  It went way beyond 31/20 or 30/21.  There were crazy builds out there like 12/21/18.  
    The Attribute system did something and helped support weird builds.  
    There were duel wielding dagger warriors that healed as they quickly hit.
    Getting one weapon with a specific speed could completely make a break a build.
    CCing to bandage was a valid tactic and big help.
    Systems, supporting systems, supporting real, adult complexity and the need to think and actually tree hard.  To beat the systems.
    I could go on all day about how the focus was completely different back then.  And it only got better with new expansions.  BC added geming and the Arena.  WotLK added what's it called?  The spell system thing that used to be awesome back then.

All future expansions after WotLK specifically, purposefully, and openly removed complexity.  The devs were open about this, and why they did it.  They wanted a bigger audience - and that audience was younger people that did not want complexity.  They wanted easy, thought free fun and absolutely no complexity or system that would force them to think.  To have everything distilled down to any easily understood gear level number and every spec of every class functioning the same and putting out the same numbers undermining the reasons to have races, classes, specs, and professions.