Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW CLASSIC News - It Will Begin with Patch 1.12, Drums of War - World of Warcraft - MMORPG.com

Comments

• btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    calibek said:
    I personally think this server will do good....at first. After about 6 months I think it will go down to niche status.

People who have fond memories of the game 15 years ago are now 15 years older. I thought it was fun to sit in a dungeon for 3 hours or so beating on things but it eventually got tiresome. Now though, most of the people who were playing then don't have time for that. People get older and busier. 

As far as Nost and other vanilla servers, yes a lot of people played them because they miss the old days, but a lot more played them because they were free. A lot of games today are, well, let's go with the word thrifty, in their expenditures. Throwing a sub in the mix, if there is one, will be a deterent for a lot of those who played free servers.

On the complexity issue, vanilla wasn't more complex...at least the combat wasn't. It suffered from bloat more than anything. Yes the talent tree was more robust, but let's be honest...who really wants to take 5 levels of Wand Mastery, increasing your wand damage by 5% just to get to a talent they need. Having 3 spells that pretty much do the same thing was also pointless. If they want to make the game more complex then all they need to do is disable EVERY add-on and boom, you are more complex. Some add-ons in this game now make every player brain dead because it tells you when to move, where to go, etc. That's not on the WoW dev team but on the players.

There is a reason that every game that tried to copy vanilla WoW is either flailing to stay alive or no longer in existance (Wild Star) and thats because Vanilla had the lore from warcraft 3 to put it in a great place and word of mouth spread from it.

The player base for gaming has significantly evolved 15 years later, and those that prefer long, drawn out, dungeon crawls are more minority now. Most people have the "gogogogo" mentality and vanilla WoW dungeon crawl is just going to be too much of a slog for them, further reducing the people on there.

I'm happy for those who want this, and I think Blizzard will recoup it's costs on this. In fact I can guarantee there will be press release after press release about how wildly successful the classic servers are and how they are growing. After the initial fun wears off though and the server reaches its final stop I think the player base will dwindle, Blizz will milk it for the last, then shut it down and when these clamorings for a classic server come up they can say we already tried it and it failed (Mobile auction house for WoW and real money auction house for Diablo). I mean reliving your youth is fun and all but, let's be honest, once Naxx is released who really wants to run the same dungeon month after month. At this point it is fantasy monster Hunter with no sequel. 
    Actually, believe it or not a fair amount of money is generated by private servers.  So while there are those that don't pay a cent, plenty of them do.  Just as with any F2P server that isn't illegal... the number of free-loaders is eclipsed by those that pay something.

People paid to play on private servers.  PAID TO PLAY CONTENT THAT WAS BROKEN AND STATIC.  Blizzard isn't stupid, they see a lot of revenue coming from this.  Imagine all the people wanting to transfer their toons to the retail servers.  Ka-ching! Ka-ching!  People will have to pay a sub to even play it.  Ka-ching! Ka-ching!  Instead of creating a new expansion, they can just re-release the old ones in a classic version.  No story to be written, just recoding.  They're going to make a mint no matter how you look at it.
    blamo2000
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    thunderC said:
    Do people really want to go back to something from 14 years ago and do that again?
    Yes
    Personally i think Legion was a disaster, epically so as the game is so boring now its just not worth it, so many classes have been ruined/destroyed by the changes to weapons and combat that its almost a case of any version prior to this was better, personally i want a hunter that isn't a case of spamming sumoning instapets that last a dozen seconds or something else equally ridiculous.
    So yes, absolutely i want to go back a dozen years or more to play the game i was playing back in 2004, it was more fun than the present version, so why wouldn't I ?  ;)
    mmoloublamo2000
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813

Sephiroso said:

After spending a fair amount of time in the BfA beta I could not see going back to such an early version. Been there done that. I am glad the option is coming for those who want it though! Kudos to Blizzard for offering it. 

Trust me, it ain't gonna be just you. WoW classic is gonna be a ghost town 3 months in.

I beg to differ; Nostalrius was full all the time, Lightshope too, and it was not due to "rose-colored glasses". Vanilla is not just about completing quests or clearing raids, the community was phenomenal.
    blamo2000[Deleted User]
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Zamuro said:
    blamo2000 said:
    I honestly don't think people saying the classic servers will only have short term success understand why people interested in a classic server are interested. You are imposing your beliefs and desires onto people coming from a completely different place and mindset. Its like a devout Christian telling an Atheist they'll get bored of having no religion because they won't get new content from the Christian community or Sunday service.

I am absolutely baffled as to why or how people could be interested in such a low-brow games like modern WoW with systems literally made to attract and retain young children, completely devoid of any complexity, need for thought, or anything remotely interesting to mature mmorpg players. Yet, since I am reasonable I do not go into WoW expansion threads and tell all modern WoW players they'll get bored of WoW because it is geared towards stupid children. Neither do we do it for games with absolutely no content like MOBAs, battle royale games, or the crafting games called survival games. Obviously the people interested in tripe like that have different wants and desires for what they are looking for in a game. I certainly would be bored after trying them, but that does not mean the kid's playing them, or watching other people playing them, will.

There is nothing saying they couldn't make a WoW BC server and allow character transfers to it from classic, nor another for the last expansion of WoW aimed at an adult audience - WotLK. And nothing indicates all three versions couldn't have very healthy populations that make Blizzard tons of money. Look how WoW's population has dwindled since they changed their focus from adults to children. This classic server will just recoup some of the numbers they've hemorrhaged over the years.
    very very well said. they destroyed the game with cataclysm and the next expansions. thats why the sub numbers dropped so hard. they kinda improved the game with legion and are going to improve it even more with BfA now. i havent played since wotlk/beginning of the trash cata and im very hyped to come back in BFA after all these years. the biggest thing that makes me wanna come back is the number squish and difficulty increase. u are no longer a terminator from lvl 1 to max with 0 deaths and killing 10 mobs at once. there are a lot of faggots crying on the forums that the game is very "hard" now but i hope they dont listen to them and make it a casual terminator fest ONCE AGAIN...
    I've been leveling a character and honestly it's not that hard; it's just not a complete faceroll anymore, which is what the new generation of WoW players had grown accustomed to.  I discussed the subject with a number of people on the official forums and was stunned to find a large number of players who actually wanted a mindless faceroll leveling experience.  I much prefer the 7.3.5 changes compared to the pre-7.3.5 faceroll-fest.
    Well, some specs are still pretty faceroll.  My Arcane Mage can wtfpwn at 4 charges, can conjure food and use Evocation to Regen Mana and offset the higher costs at 4 charges, as well as talent Mana Shield to be spammable.

I agree with your post overall, though.
    [Deleted User]

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    edited June 2018
    Galadourn said:

Sephiroso said:

After spending a fair amount of time in the BfA beta I could not see going back to such an early version. Been there done that. I am glad the option is coming for those who want it though! Kudos to Blizzard for offering it. 

Trust me, it ain't gonna be just you. WoW classic is gonna be a ghost town 3 months in.

I beg to differ; Nostalrius was full all the time, Lightshope too, and it was not due to "rose-colored glasses". Vanilla is not just about completing quests or clearing raids, the community was phenomenal.
    Full being you know, thousands of people, not hundreds of thousands. Those people also didn't pay money to access the game. Let's see how many of them are willing to fork out 15$ a month for the game that will eventually (Right away) no longer provide content updates. ;) 
    edited June 2018
    Celcius said:
    Galadourn said:

Sephiroso said:

Full being you know, thousands of people, not hundreds of thousands. Those people also didn't pay money to access the game. Let's see how many of them are willing to fork out 15$ a month for the game that will eventually (Right away) no longer provide content updates. ;) 
    No one sees it being niche as a problem (including Blizzard) save for those who choose to do so.  Apparently, for other reasons unrelated to the project itself.

Thousands of people is plenty enough to populate a classic server.  Consider that games like DAoC are still running on that kind of population, and the doom-calling is inappropriate at this point.

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Celcius said:
    Galadourn said:

Sephiroso said:

No one sees it being niche as a problem (including Blizzard) save for those who choose to do so.  Apparently, for other reasons unrelated to the project itself.

Thousands of people is plenty enough to populate a classic server.  Consider that games like DAoC are still running on that kind of population, and the doom-calling is inappropriate at this point.
    You seem to act like Blizzard is above making a big mistake and wasting a lot of money. That's what this will end up being. The amount of money blizzard is putting into this to make it work is not some small number. Time will tell if it works out in their favor. The one thing Blizzard is good at is turning a mistake into their favor(look at Titan, they wasted a ton of money and time developing it, but instead of letting it rot, they turned it into Overwatch).

Blizzard is doing this is to 1. make people stfu asking them to do this and 2. to snag the players via their nostalgia handles and eventually get them to transition back into modern WoW when they eventually get sucked back into it again.

Also, they'll be able to boast some impressive numbers the quarter that they classic WoW drops to their investors since BfA numbers will be high + classic whenever it drops.

None of this is contingent on any long term success for classic WoW. Classic WoW won't fail for any reason other than not enough interest past some months in. People bringing up Nostralius conveniently forgetting you can play that for free. There's going to be a lot of people that won't feel like switching. There's going to be a ton that do and a ton that never wanted to play Nostralius because of personal feelings regarding private servers, but to point at Nostralius and a reason for why classic WoW will succeed is laughable.
    MadFrenchiedeniter[Deleted User]

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Sephiroso said:
    Celcius said:
    Galadourn said:

Sephiroso said:

None of this is contingent on any long term success for classic WoW. Classic WoW won't fail for any reason other than not enough interest past some months in. People bringing up Nostralius conveniently forgetting you can play that for free. There's going to be a lot of people that won't feel like switching. There's going to be a ton that do and a ton that never wanted to play Nostralius because of personal feelings regarding private servers, but to point at Nostralius and a reason for why classic WoW will succeed is laughable.
    No, what's laughable is that you and others who spew that nonsense conveniently ignore that there were multiple servers that included expansion content (AKA objectively more content than Nost), but yet Nost remained highly popular.

• axtrantiaxtranti Member UncommonPosts: 95

Celcius said:

The phrasing "Start with 1.12" is not accurate. It will Start and End with 1.12 is more appropriate. This is not a progression server. The content that is out at release is the content that will be available forever and you won't get more then that.

Progression can be appropriate, gms can lock raids and unlock them accordingly as the server 'progresses'. I know what you mean though, but this is what might be done, SHOULD be done.

asdasdasd

• CazrielCazriel Member RarePosts: 419
    Excited about Classic. That's the game that brought MMOs out of nerdville and into mainstream. It opened the door for everyone to play. Yeah, I'm nostalgic for Classic. Had some of the best times in PvP ever in those days. And . . . looking for that original WoW Numa-Numa video.
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    edited June 2018
    Celcius said:
    Galadourn said:

Sephiroso said:

I mean, fair enough. But tell that to everyone who blows this way out of control. People who claim that it will be "huge" or that it will be bigger then modern day WoW are just naive. It will thrive as a small niche game, assuming they think the value in maintaining a Classic WoW team is worth it. 

Think of it this way though, most people will consider this a dead server probably less then a year in. Will the classic players who are shouting from the roof tops accept this? Probably not. 
    Celcius said:
    Celcius said:
    Galadourn said:

Sephiroso said:

I mean, fair enough. But tell that to everyone who blows this way out of control. People who claim that it will be "huge" or that it will be bigger then modern day WoW are just naive. It will thrive as a small niche game, assuming they think the value in maintaining a Classic WoW team is worth it. 

Think of it this way though, most people will consider this a dead server probably less then a year in. Will the classic players who are shouting from the roof tops accept this? Probably not. 
    When you try to compare a decade+ old version of a game to a new release, of course it will seem dead.  Conversely, no one should expect this version to field multiple full servers for a significant amount of time.  The population will fall off into the niche zone.  Without adding progression, the staff needed to maintain a Classic version will be relatively small.  However, the statement from Blizzard seems to indicate they already know this isn't going to be an eclipser of all other competitors; they already have that in the current build.

Sephiroso said:
    Celcius said:
    Galadourn said:

Sephiroso said:

No, what's laughable is that you and others who spew that nonsense conveniently ignore that there were multiple servers that included expansion content (AKA objectively more content than Nost), but yet Nost remained highly popular.
    highly popular. Lol, okay Frenchie, whatever you say.
    MadFrenchie

edited June 2018
    Sephiroso said:
    Sephiroso said:
    Celcius said:
    Galadourn said:

Sephiroso said:

The very first page to come up when you search for most popular private servers (claiming updated to 2018):

https://www.dkpminus.com/blog/most-popular-wow-private-server/

The most popular server, Light's Hope, is still vanilla.  Interestingly enough, there's a inverse correlation to expansions added and average population.

Sephiroso said:
    Sephiroso said:
    Celcius said:
    Galadourn said:

Sephiroso said:

The very first page to come up when you search for most popular private servers (claiming updated to 2018):

The most popular server, Light's Hope, is still vanilla.  Interestingly enough, there's a inverse correlation to expansions added and average population.
    Question for you, would you say Bless Online is a popular game? It's a legit question and i promise i'll connect my point to it once you answer it.

Rhoklaw said:
    Sephiroso said:
    Sephiroso said:
    Celcius said:
    Galadourn said:

Sephiroso said:

Don't waste your time. Sephiroso still believes the earth is flat. No amount of proof is going to sink into his brain any time soon.
    You can disagree with me all you want but to put words in my mouth that i never said? I mean, this is mmorpg forums so its not like i expected anything more but still. Sheesh.

edited June 2018
    Sephiroso said:
    Sephiroso said:
    Sephiroso said:
    Celcius said:
    Galadourn said:

Sephiroso said:

Question for you, would you say Bless Online is a popular game? It's a legit question and i promise i'll connect my point to it once you answer it.
    Bless isn't a 10+ year old (EDIT- typo here that inferred the wrong point) game build's private server.

Comparing the two in any way is comparing apples from one era to oranges from a later one.  The resources poured into each, comparatively, are vastly different.

For a new release, Bless isn't very popular.  Largely due to the fact that, less than a month later, the issues cited with it's NA release have caused it to hemorrhage players.  It's currently not much more popular than Light's hope on a daily basis.

edited June 2018
    Sephiroso said:
    Sephiroso said:
    Sephiroso said:
    Celcius said:
    Galadourn said:

Sephiroso said:

Bless isn't a 10+ year old (EDIT- typo here that inferred the wrong point) game build's private server.

Comparing the two in any way is comparing apples from one era to oranges from a later one.  The resources poured into each, comparatively, are vastly different.

For a new release, Bless isn't very popular.  Largely due to the fact that, less than a month later, the issues cited with it's NA release have caused it to hemorrhage players.  It's currently not much more popular than Light's hope on a daily basis.
    Even with the fact that Bless wasn't popular, it still has 8-10k people logging in in a 24 hour period. I think everyone knows Bless's days are quite numbered by now. The number 1 private server for vanilla wow only has 3-5k people.

Do you see my point? Do you really think Blizzard will keep classic WoW going if they only get 3-5k people? Do you see how silly it is to point to a private server and say "look, it can be successful!"?

People who run private servers aren't companies. They're enthusiasts that aren't looking for success, they don't answer to investors or board members. They don't gotta bring in the bacon. It's not why they do it.

Which is why i ask, do you really think Blizzard will call it a success if they have 3-5k people playing Classic WoW?

Rhoklaw said:
    Sephiroso said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    Sephiroso said:
    Sephiroso said:
    Celcius said:
    Galadourn said:

Sephiroso said:

Don't waste your time. Sephiroso still believes the earth is flat. No amount of proof is going to sink into his brain any time soon.
    You can disagree with me all you want but to put words in my mouth that i never said? I mean, this is mmorpg forums so its not like i expected anything more but still. Sheesh.
    I was using  well known belief that has had a huge surge in popularity to represent your inability to accept basic logic and facts. There is nothing to prove that a Classic WoW server is going to fail, but rather the opposite.
    There is nothing to prove that it will succeed.

edited June 2018
    Sephiroso said:
    Sephiroso said:
    Sephiroso said:
    Sephiroso said:
    Celcius said:
    Galadourn said:

Sephiroso said:

Even with the fact that Bless wasn't popular, it still has 8-10k people logging in in a 24 hour period. I think everyone knows Bless's days are quite numbered by now. The number 1 private server for vanilla wow only has 3-5k people.

Do you see my point? Do you really think Blizzard will keep classic WoW going if they only get 3-5k people? Do you see how silly it is to point to a private server and say "look, it can be successful!"?

People who run private servers aren't companies. They're enthusiasts that aren't looking for success, they don't answer to investors or board members. They don't gotta bring in the bacon. It's not why they do it.

Which is why i ask, do you really think Blizzard will call it a success if they have 3-5k people playing Classic WoW?
    Blizzard rep has already been quoted admitting they don't know what the player interest is, and that it doesn't matter.  I believe the quote went something like "hundreds of thousands, or just hundreds."

Classic WoW is ultra-likely to surpass the quality of both the private server and Bless.  This is Blizzard, not a group of amatuers.  Even beyond Bless's obvious quality issues, the leveling process was super fast at release due to the damage issue, and there was ZERO endgame content worthy of a gamer's time.  Nome of that holds true for Classic WoW.
    [Deleted User]

Sephiroso said:
    Sephiroso said:
    Sephiroso said:
    Sephiroso said:
    Celcius said:
    Galadourn said:

Sephiroso said:

Blizzard rep has already been quoted admitting they don't know what the player interest is, and that it doesn't matter.  I believe the quote went something like "hundreds of thousands, or just hundreds."

Classic WoW is ultra-likely to surpass the quality of both the private server and Bless.  This is Blizzard, not a group of amatuers.  Even beyond Bless's obvious quality issues, the leveling process was super fast at release due to the damage issue, and there was ZERO endgame content worthy of a gamer's time.  Nome of that holds true for Classic WoW.
    I'd be pretty interested in seeing this quote saying they'd keep the servers open even if there were only hundreds of people playing.

Sephiroso said:
    Sephiroso said:
    Sephiroso said:
    Sephiroso said:
    Sephiroso said:
    Celcius said:
    Galadourn said:

Sephiroso said:

I'd be pretty interested in seeing this quote saying they'd keep the servers open even if there were only hundreds of people playing.
    Yeah.  Okay, here you go:

https://www.google.com/
    That's so helpful. Gonna assume you were lying or taking an actual quote out of context then.

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Sephiroso said:
    Sephiroso said:
    Sephiroso said:
    Sephiroso said:
    Sephiroso said:
    Sephiroso said:
    Celcius said:
    Galadourn said:

Sephiroso said:

Yeah.  Okay, here you go:

https://www.google.com/
    That's so helpful. Gonna assume you were lying or taking an actual quote out of context then.
    Sure, you can do that, but you'll still be wrong.  If you want to follow news of World of Warcraft Classic and not be wrong, google is your friend.  Every interview in the last eight months is right there on the internets for all to see.  Be informed, or be ignorant; your choice.

Sorry Seph you re so wrong on this one. Look it up it s not hard. Maybe an app can do it for you.
  • ragebulletragebullet Member UncommonPosts: 55
    vanilla wow servers is definitely viable. the most popular vanilla private server (nostralius) had 800k registered accounts and 150k active accounts. thats a pretty big amount. even if only 50k(even 25k) end up subbing for classic servers thats a decent amount imo.
    edited June 2018
    Sephiroso said:
    "I think there will be a lot of tourists," he adds. "But it doesn’t matter what I think because once we’re committed to doing this at a Blizzard level, which we are, whatever happens is going to happen. If millions of people show up and play for years, that’s awesome. And if just tens of people show up and play for years, we’re fine either way. What’s important to us is that we have this Classic experience people can enjoy, that people do have the opportunity to go back to. This is an important game in videogame history and there’s not a way to go back and experience that today. This is also about preserving something that we think is really important." (Emphasis added by me)

https://www.pcgamer.com/this-is-how-blizzard-plans-to-finally-bring-back-vanilla-wow-servers/

Also, another quote of note:

"Those people don't just want the old gameplay features, they want the constant social connection. And so we can't just support it for a couple of months and then if it's not working out, ditch it. There has to be an assurance that you can build this character, build this guild, build these friendships, and the server will continue."

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-11-04-wow-classic-blizzard-answers-some-of-the-big-questions

To recap: Brack and the team aren't requiring (or expecting) any certain amount of players, and they plan on continuing the server and giving players that assurance that it will continue so no one has any hesitation about starting a character on a server that might be shut down right after.  EDIT- his stance is even more extreme than my paraphrasing.
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibson