Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen and EVE Online players unite to call out lookalike concept ship

Comments

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Most ideas are built off of others.  Like how Deep Space Nine copied Babylon 5.  Or how Robocop was partly inspired by Judge Dredd.
    Scot

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited June 2018
    Erillion said:
    Erillion said:
    Erillion said:
    >snip <
    Ever heard of sand bags as radiation shielding ? Stations in lava tubes ? Lead storm shelters surrounded by water tanks ? Electromagnetic shielding ? Etc. We have about two dozens concepts to solve that problem - had it for 50 years in some cases. It is a lack of will that holds us back - not even money. Certainly not technology. 

You may want to do some research first before "abandoning all hope" ;-) 

Have fun

No, you need to do more research.  The lava tubes don't eliminate the radiation exposure completely, nor does it really take into account solar proton events that would bombard the planet due to it's lack of a magnetosphere.

And way to try and (ineffectively) attack one part of my point, ignoring the myriad of other detrimental effects long-term space travel and habitation of alien planets presents to us as a species.

Shit people, next we'll hear bitching about how shitty it is superheroes like Thor fight hand-to-hand when it obviously makes more sense for him to grab a railgun and pwn those noobs.  Jesus, it's fiction.

EDIT- colonizing other planets requires literal reproduction on those planets.  Currently, NASA won't even send up an astronaut that's pregnant because of the dangers to the fetus.  Damn near EVERYTHING about sci-fi, apart from the human condition, is fiction.
    Fun. Let's talk business, shall we ? What is the penetration depth of a solar proton in Martian regolith ? Of gamma rays ? BTW Mars has a magnetosphere - it's just not global (anymore), but frozen in and localized. As we know ever since the 90ies (Mars Global Surveyor). 

Your "myriad detrimental effects" have engineers working on it since 1923. Some of which I had the privilege to meet. Artificial gravity from rotation? Space nuclear power for fast transfer solutions ? EM shielding ? Hydrogenated boron nitride nanotubes for neutron shielding. Give them money, they do it. 

NASA is not sending up pregnant women because workers law forbids it anyway. There is even an (unofficial) manual for sex in space (no, I will not link a source ;-) ). There is no reason why a pregnant woman should be in space - yet.  Not to mention the medical emergency aspect. When it comes to long duration missions there is already a lot of scientific literature regarding mixed crews and possible "complications". 

You could also colonize with fertilized eggs in deep freeze storage and a small core crew. But yes, the natural solution is simpler :-) 

And Thor  does not have a railgun because the massive recoil would seriously disrupt his flight pattern. Newtons law will not be denied ;-) At least he does not have to worry about battery pack weight and volume. 

Do you want more research ? I can offer you 32 years of it ;-) 

Have fun 
    All of that is still is largely geared towards specifically the radiation exposure; the artificial gravity helps address muscle atrophy, though.

Nothing to help blunt the detrimental effects observed in animal species reproduction studied in space, including lower viability.

And all of this in the context of trying to pigeonhole a developer's creativity in terms of spaceship design.  Tell me, since there's currently no plausible solution to even approach traveling the speed of light, much less successfully traveling faster by any means, how is 100 explorable solar systems any more far-fetched than a mining frigate that isn't one particular shape?

You know that Alpha Centauri is multiple light years away.  There's currently no known way for us to even approach the speed of light- which means traveling between star systems would take years- much less FTL travel.  Yet, nobody's picking any bones there, because gameplay trumps realism damn near every time.

And you're not telling the whole truth about pregnant women reference NASA.  They make astronauts sign a waiver to liability for any effects radiation in space causes to sperm or egg.  They absolutely won't send a pregnant woman into space, not even for scientific purposes, because the dangers are both real and unethical.

As for your Thor counter, why would you assume Thor does all his fighting airborne?  In fact, in the context of Marvel movies, he rarely does fight airborne, because he can't technically fly (well, maybe recently now that he has "unlocked" his inner power, but he very clearly explains in Ragnarok that he doesn't fly so much as sling himself around with his hammer).  Point stands: he could eliminate targets from much longer range, without endangering himself, with a railgun.  I mean, is he just stupid or what?
    If Thor is stupid - i do not know. You have to ask him. However, even standing on the ground and holding a railgun the recoil will blast him back significantly. Actio equals reactio. And a railgun shot is one hell of an "actio". 

I am not quite sure what point you try to make w.r.t. pregnant female astronauts. As no one here claims that NASA - or any space agency - is sending them up. You seem to be arguing with yourself here. 

Finally - the colonization of space. Even with lower than lightspeed ships. At 5 % the speed of light - absolutely achievable with currently known technologies - mankind would colonize the whole Milky Way galaxy in less than 2 million years. Sounds a lot, but on a geological scale that is just the blink of an eye . Even humanity already exists for double that time period. 

And with the SC ships depicted here it would be much faster - either via quantum drive (which is a technology like Star Trek that does NOT require FTL and is compatible with relativity theory). Or with wormholes - which are also known as Einstein Rosen bridge. 

So - there may be more science in there than you may think.

Have fun 
    The point with the Thor example is that it's a slippery slope to start demanding "things need to make sense to me!" as an argument.  The chances of Star-Lord essentially confining half of life throughout the entire universe to doom because of one person whom he has had an ambiguously-natured relationship with?  He would have to be the most self-centered being in the Galaxy.  Considering he literally destroys his father for just that reason, it's ludicrous that he would do something so stupid in Infinity Wars Part I.  I could nitpick at that, or I could enjoy the film for what it is: fiction.

My point was we're much farther from being able to live generations in space than most might believe believe.  One of the most realistic routes to exploring other planets is literally a long-term (meaning, generations) space mission that travels sub-lightspeed.

And your point about "the SC ships depicted here" actually proves my point.  When we aren't trying to qualify something unrelated, we have no qualms with creators taking liberties with what's possible.  For example: the necessary shape of a mining frigate. ;)
    EDIT- clarity of point

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Scot said:
    Now we are talking about something more interesting than how close gaming ships look. :)

That wormhole you talked about, think of the energy needed to create one, that's why form would still follow function. Besides most SF settings have technology levels which do not make sense right across the board.

In real life the heavy lifting will be done by robots, Mars will have the habitats ready before we have a colony there. Just like when the oceans of the world were first explored it will be done at great risk, our risk adverse culture is possibly holding us back more than anything else.

We may well have robotic mining craft mining the asteroids by then, maybe with a human pilot for supervision. I wonder, whose version of a mining spacecraft will it look like? ;)
    The power source needed can be explained away through discovery of alien tech (think Mass Effect) if needed.  That's why I hold the position that Sci-Fi, specifically space-based, leaves a very wide berth for the creators.  Just like in fantasy, how all things are possible through "ancient magics" or other explanations.

If we wanted to go ultra-realistic then as you say: if drones can do the job just as well, there's an ethical imperative to remove the pilot to avoid the chance of incident.  Consider that, in air travel here on Earth, something like 80% of incidents are directly or indirectly attributed to a lapse of situational awareness by pilots/ATC.  Drones don't have lapses in situational awareness.  If they do, the cost is merely expressed in dollars and cents, not human lives.

EDIT- Typos!
    Even in factories that use robots to build cars you have human supervisors. That is the problem for Space Opera science fiction, from ST to SW, from SC to EVE, we will end up being supervisors not pilots or captains. :)

But hey, is that a problem? We watch films and play games for entertainment, they are not meant to be a documentary on what life will be like for us in space.
    MadFrenchie
  • DXSinsDXSins Member UncommonPosts: 324
    Idk... seem people are far to focused on the front prongs. Cut them off and then just look at both hulls side by side... clear different designs. Would like to know which parts have been copied, even the prongs are in a different position and design. 

The Eve ones give me a prisoner transport vibe and the SC doesn't in the slightest give me a transporter vibe.
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736

So this is apparently a ship from an earlier CR game. (Wing Commander I guess? That's not Freelancer)

Has anyone found another ship that this closely resembles either of these?  I've looked through the Reddit, assuming if there was one that predated EVE's Venture, it surely would've been found and posted.

There's this one,

If this is what CCP used as inspiration for their Venture then it's clearly quite different, the overall design has similarities but you could never mistake them for being the same ship. CIG's Vulture on the other hand is just too reminiscent of the Venture.
    How? They're both more detailed but the details are not the same. All three have the same general two arm with an overlook raised above it design. What other important similarities do you feel there are?
    rpmcmurphy
    I like that Derek Smart is replying. I gave him a reply of my own:

ErillionKyleranBabuinix
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    While I'm no fan of how SC is or its fans...

Whats next?

"OMG THEY USED THE SAME COLOR BLUE! ITS THE SAME EXACT COLOR OF THIS ONE THING IN THIS ONE GAME!"
    ScotErillionKyleranBabuinixSpottyGekko

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    edited June 2018
    Eldurian said:

How? They're both more detailed but the details are not the same. All three have the same general two arm with an overlook raised above it design. What other important similarities do you feel there are?
    Oh come on now... it's always amusing to see this sort of blaséness amongst SC fans. When Piranha Games were seeking funding for Transverse all of a sudden this blasé attitude went out the window and people were spitting about the similarities between ship designs, brigading their forums etc.

Whats next?

"OMG THEY USED THE SAME COLOR BLUE! ITS THE SAME EXACT COLOR OF THIS ONE THING IN THIS ONE GAME!"

And that's something that a lot of people would say about all sorts of trademark violations or IP theft, rounded corners on Samsung phones for example, like who gives a shit about rounded bloody corners. But there was huge discussions on tech sites about rounded corners...
    MaxBacon
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Eldurian said:

Oh come on now... it's always amusing to see this sort of blaséness amongst SC fans. When Piranha Games were seeking funding for Transverse all of a sudden this blasé attitude went out the window and people were spitting about the similarities between ship designs, brigading their forums etc.

Whats next?

And that's something that a lot of people would say about all sorts of trademark violations or IP theft, rounded corners on Samsung phones for example, like who gives a shit about rounded bloody corners. But there was huge discussions on tech sites about rounded corners...
    I think it rather depends on the industry we are talking about than common sense. Smartphones have a history of litigation from and against every company that designs them. Possibly more than any other tech industry. I would say I am surprised Samsung did not start a suit when it comes to mobiles. :)

Fortunately gaming is not as bad, it tends to be about code rather than "You stole our idea for climbing up a big thing and looking around to tell you more about a region". If that evry started in gaming it would stifle the industry.
    MaxBacon
    Eldurian said:

Can't speak for others. I don't spend much time on the RSI forums and I don't even know wtf Traverse is. So don't hold me accountable for the actions of others.

They sound petty, just like you sound petty now.
    edited June 2018
    Eldurian said:
    Can't speak for others. I don't spend much time on the RSI forums and I don't even know wtf Traverse is. So don't hold me accountable for the actions of others.
    I'm not holding you accountable, that would be absurd. What I am saying is that the prevailing opinion is it's ok for CIG to do this but it wasn't ok when someone was doing it to CIG. There's always an excuse for CIG and that's an opinion you hold.

Eldurian said:
    They sound petty, just like you sound petty now.
    No man, the above is petty, little girl bitchiness is what I would call it.
    Kefo
    CCP pooping all over CIG 

Love the Venture? Enjoy mining and salvaging? Have we got a SKIN bundle for you!

Head on over to the New Eden Store and pick up the “Venture Capitalist” SKIN bundle, which contains three Venture SKINs that are ideal for mining below the belt.

Just beware of sneaky vultures attempting to swoop in and loot your assets!

The best part about this SKIN bundle is that it won’t cost you $120 – You can get all three of these SKINs for just 120 PLEX – that’s more than 50% off their total value when they’re sold separately!
    The Venture Capitalist SKIN bundle contains the following three SKINs for the Outer Ring Excavations ‘Venture’ class frigate:
    • Paydirt Prospector
    • Morphite Shine
    • Glacial Drift
    DID YOU KNOW?
    You can play EVE Online for free, and you’ll receive a free Venture once you complete the new player tutorial.

http://massivelyop.com/2018/06/20/eve-online-sells-a-bundle-of-venture-skins-for-120-plex/

Babuinix
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    Cool of them for running with the shenanigans, ongoing exposure for both SC and EVE is always good.

I'm sure some of the eve folks might welcome a change in gameplay from being tired of click X to Y spreadsheet gameplay and might fancy some actual first person avatar mode while also being able to actually fly any ship ingame without grinding credits or buying isk, might be worth it just to check out ship interior together with their peers!

On the other hand eve went free2play so anyone who's interested could try it out the venture right while waiting for the proper modeled 3d version in Star Citizen lol

Babuinix said:
    Cool of them for running with the shenanigans, ongoing exposure for both SC and EVE is always good. 

The best way for both to approach the situation is tongue-in-cheek references like these.  I'm glad to see CCP is leveraging it in a positive way.  They should both do so, it's just good publicity.
    Kyleran

Yeap despite what some "gamers" think there's no animosity between dev's with "competing" games besides the personal beefs that some higher heads might have.

They like and embrace their peers work and are happy that other games are successful and just laugh at the petty forum warriors. Great games are possible because of great dev's and great dev's become great because they are passionate about their craft no matter who does it, if it's well done they will appreciate it and get motivation to be even better.
    SpottyGekko
    Babuinix said:
    Yeap despite what some "gamers" think there's no animosity between dev's with "competing" games besides the personal beefs that some higher heads might have.

They like and embrace their peers work and are happy that other games are successful and just laugh at the petty forum warriors. Great games are possible because of great dev's and great dev's become great because they are passionate about their craft no matter who does it, if it's well done they will appreciate it and get motivation to be even better.
    Agreed.  We're gamers, the passion sometimes overrides the reasoning.  I'm guilty of it just the same as anyone else who has a passion for the hobby. ;)

But devs should be able to encourage one another through friendly competition, absolutely!
    Babuinix

Babuinix said:

Agreed.  We're gamers, the passion sometimes overrides the reasoning.  I'm guilty of it just the same as anyone else who has a passion for the hobby. ;)

But devs should be able to encourage one another through friendly competition, absolutely!
    Indeed they do, actually the thread about that joke in the Star Citizen subreddit is the highest voted one of the day and even CCP dev's and CIG ones posted showcasing the good spirits between them:

It's the vocal minority of social inapt that seems to get more enjoyment from trolling and drama than actually from playing video-games that likes to thing there should be e-wars going on between games and devs. I think that comes mostly from insecurities and low self esteem that lead into inferiority complexes projected into their "favourite" game vs the "opposition" lol
    MadFrenchie
  • DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    Does it really matter? in about 20 years when this game comes out we wont remember this.
    MidPrincessgoobsnews
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Aren't SC & Eve player the same person?
    I'm sure they even share the same bed :D

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited June 2018
    Babuinix said:
    Babuinix said:

Indeed they do, actually the thread about that joke in the Star Citizen subreddit is the highest voted one of the day and even CCP dev's and CIG ones posted showcasing the good spirits between them:

It's the vocal minority of social inapt that seems to get more enjoyment from trolling and drama than actually from playing video-games that likes to thing there should be e-wars going on between games and devs. I think that comes mostly from insecurities and low self esteem that lead into inferiority complexes projected into their "favourite" game vs the "opposition" lol
    You have managed to do an amazing amount of projection yourself here, at least where it comes to other forum poster's motivations.

;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Babuinix said:
    Babuinix said:

You have managed to do an amazing amount of projection yourself here, at least where it comes to other forum poster's motivations.

;)
    Yeah because I'm the one who feels the need to go into forum threads of games I don't like and talk shit ad nauseam to make me feel better :D

• MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,512
    Erillion said:
    The first commentator in that MassivelyOp article is - as can be expected - the ever faithful Smarty ! Surpriiiiise. And he calls it "crap". Surpriiiiise.

But the second poster (called: jay) already sums up everything that can be said about that article:

"It’s not like a ship with two arms sticking out of the front of it as a mining /salvage ship was CCP’s original ideal. The idea for that type of ship design has been around in Sci-Fi for longer than either one of these MMO’s existed, if you are really into sci-fi literature & film.

And other than the arms, the ships are different enough skin wise as to not even be similar. TO be fair, I’m not a Star Citizen fan boy or anything, I’m just a realist."

Numerous other posters have pointed out that anything handling standard freight containers usually ends up looking like either a forklift or a landtrain truck.

Have fun

after this comment I just cant understand why this thread is so long..it sums up everything.
    Babuinix

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Funny how yet again SC makes the news on it's cash shop ships and not the game,this has been an ongoing occurrence for years now,really sad.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.