Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW CLASSIC News - It Will Begin with Patch 1.12, Drums of War - World of Warcraft - MMORPG.com

Comments

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    edited June 2018
    Sephiroso said:
    I guess I don't see the point. I mean, progression servers are great. They allow you to go back and play the game from the beginning and progress. This just seems "meh". How long will someone want to play BWL (not even sure BWL was out by then, to be honest) and raid Tarren Mill before the novelty wears off?
    To give you an idea, 1.11(or 1.10) was Naxx.
    Point still stands. How long do you think WoW would have survived has it just stalled out at 1.12 on the live servers ans Blizzard had decided that the expansions weren't worth it or something? I love original WoW as much as the next person, but that kind of stagnation in content will create the same thing we see with new games now: the cycle of play a bit, lose interest, leave. 

I get PvPing for titles will be fun, and playing the old version of Naxx will be a blast, but after that.....what? The whole draw of progression servers is to start brand new. but to get new content every 3 months or whatever. Why not do vote progression? Allow the community to decide if the next path comes out or not. Just seems like the novelty is gonna wear off and those servers will be empty a year down the road. Maybe not, though.

I have this odd feeling that people will flock there with rose colored glasses on and then realize they miss a lot of the modern amenities that WoW has.
    After that you roll an alt or move on. How is it any different than live servers? I resub back to WoW once a year since you blast through whatever current content it has quite fast. Classic WoW will take a lot longer to go through.
    What do you mean how is it any different from live servers? They constantly are adding new content to live servers, they won't be to wow classic.

Not to mention there's been a lot of shit added to entertain people in live servers that class wow won't have. Mythic+ saved wow. Classic WoW don't have that. Battle pets being another thing classic WoW won't have.

A ton of collectibility is just straight up gone from classic WoW.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• RasiemRasiem Member UncommonPosts: 318
    Torval said:
    Sephiroso said:
    I guess I don't see the point. I mean, progression servers are great. They allow you to go back and play the game from the beginning and progress. This just seems "meh". How long will someone want to play BWL (not even sure BWL was out by then, to be honest) and raid Tarren Mill before the novelty wears off?
    To give you an idea, 1.11(or 1.10) was Naxx.
    Point still stands. How long do you think WoW would have survived has it just stalled out at 1.12 on the live servers ans Blizzard had decided that the expansions weren't worth it or something? I love original WoW as much as the next person, but that kind of stagnation in content will create the same thing we see with new games now: the cycle of play a bit, lose interest, leave. 

I get PvPing for titles will be fun, and playing the old version of Naxx will be a blast, but after that.....what? The whole draw of progression servers is to start brand new. but to get new content every 3 months or whatever. Why not do vote progression? Allow the community to decide if the next path comes out or not. Just seems like the novelty is gonna wear off and those servers will be empty a year down the road. Maybe not, though.

I have this odd feeling that people will flock there with rose colored glasses on and then realize they miss a lot of the modern amenities that WoW has.
    After that you roll an alt or move on. How is it any different than live servers? I resub back to WoW once a year since you blast through whatever current content it has quite fast. Classic WoW will take a lot longer to go through.
    Games shouldn't last forever. We've learned from two decades of experience that MMO systems don't scale indefinitely and at some point there will be a combat and mechanics revamp because of that and then the game won't be the same anymore.

Maybe MMOs should, as I first heard SBFord suggest, have an end point. You reach cap, you've done all you can do. You can roll alts or move on and then at some point the studio can make a new game. They don't have to shutter the old game, just stop bolting crap onto it so they can sell an "xpac".
    I agree for the most part but I think you can resolve some of these issues with system revamps or systems you add for horizontal progression. The vertical progression system is where we run into issues because when you game is gear based you have no choice but to constantly scale upwards to higher numbers.
    [Deleted User]
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    For me, there is only one question about WoW Classic -- will it be released before the other games relying on nostalgia?  If so, it will answer a few questions about the viability and size of this market segment, even if the general public never has direct access to this type of information.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• summerstringssummerstrings Member UncommonPosts: 76

I am looking forward to my classic Hunter, like when we had to buy ammo.

And constantly feed your pet.

It was things like that I loved about WoW back them . :)
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    I would like to try classic servers so i can experience the story in vanilla. I'm always wondering what happened in the game during that time and had to just look around wikis. Once i'm done with that i will surely go back to current WoW.

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    thunderC said:

Leiloni said:

I never played Vanilla so I'm going to check this out just out of curiosity. But I don't expect to stick around. I like current WoW just the way it is lol. I do think though that eventually adding new patches would be a better idea for this server. A stagnant server sounds like a boring long, term idea. Maybe not immediately but in a few months introduce smaller patches, then maybe a year later a bigger one?

It really is a different experience. Drops from mobs ie vendor trash and crafting really matter in vanilla. You will actually craft useful items that make the leveling experience easier. Vendoring items ie trash is a must because you will need gold. Getting a green item to drop off a random mob has wayyyyy more meaning and is wayyy more rewarding than anything in current wow. The first time you get a BOE Blue to drop you will feel like you won the lottery cause you did.

Traversing the world feels like a actual journey and not the current visiting "disneyland" feel. You will GRIND, You will Die to non elite mobs, You will not be led to quests or have your hand held.

Its really a different experience, Think of a new game with WOW Skin cause thats what it is.
    you will also be competing with hundreds of other people over the 6 mobs that spawn for your quest. people think vanilla wow is hard but its not, its only frusterating because of the mob spawns compared to the people trying to kill them. your playing a game made for single player with tons of other people who are just in your way.
    mmolou

I am looking forward to my classic Hunter, like when we had to buy ammo.

And constantly feed your pet.

It was things like that I loved about WoW back them . :)
    Good thing you have games like Ark to fill that niche need then.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    DrunkWolf said:
    thunderC said:

Leiloni said:

I never played Vanilla so I'm going to check this out just out of curiosity. But I don't expect to stick around. I like current WoW just the way it is lol. I do think though that eventually adding new patches would be a better idea for this server. A stagnant server sounds like a boring long, term idea. Maybe not immediately but in a few months introduce smaller patches, then maybe a year later a bigger one?

It really is a different experience. Drops from mobs ie vendor trash and crafting really matter in vanilla. You will actually craft useful items that make the leveling experience easier. Vendoring items ie trash is a must because you will need gold. Getting a green item to drop off a random mob has wayyyyy more meaning and is wayyy more rewarding than anything in current wow. The first time you get a BOE Blue to drop you will feel like you won the lottery cause you did.

Traversing the world feels like a actual journey and not the current visiting "disneyland" feel. You will GRIND, You will Die to non elite mobs, You will not be led to quests or have your hand held.

Its really a different experience, Think of a new game with WOW Skin cause thats what it is.
    you will also be competing with hundreds of other people over the 6 mobs that spawn for your quest. people think vanilla wow is hard but its not, its only frusterating because of the mob spawns compared to the people trying to kill them. your playing a game made for single player with tons of other people who are just in your way.
    No, mobs were objectively stronger as a comparison to player power.  You weren't pwning elites left and right in vanilla WoW.

• sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766
    DrunkWolf said:
    thunderC said:

Leiloni said:

No, mobs were objectively stronger as a comparison to player power.  You weren't pwning elites left and right in vanilla WoW.
    "LF3 more for Hogger"

. . .good times

MadFrenchiemmolou
    sayuu said:
    DrunkWolf said:
    thunderC said:

Leiloni said:

"LF3 more for Hogger"

. . .good times

LF3M for Maurodon, 4 bosses dead"

...not so good times. Spending hours in a dungeon just for tank/healer to leave and having to hope you can find people willing to join a non fresh run was a nightmare that happened all the time.

Also the chat spam for groups was ridiculous.
    SBFord

• blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    I honestly don't think people saying the classic servers will only have short term success understand why people interested in a classic server are interested. You are imposing your beliefs and desires onto people coming from a completely different place and mindset. Its like a devout Christian telling an Atheist they'll get bored of having no religion because they won't get new content from the Christian community or Sunday service.

I am absolutely baffled as to why or how people could be interested in such a low-brow games like modern WoW with systems literally made to attract and retain young children, completely devoid of any complexity, need for thought, or anything remotely interesting to mature mmorpg players. Yet, since I am reasonable I do not go into WoW expansion threads and tell all modern WoW players they'll get bored of WoW because it is geared towards stupid children. Neither do we do it for games with absolutely no content like MOBAs, battle royale games, or the crafting games called survival games. Obviously the people interested in tripe like that have different wants and desires for what they are looking for in a game. I certainly would be bored after trying them, but that does not mean the kid's playing them, or watching other people playing them, will.

There is nothing saying they couldn't make a WoW BC server and allow character transfers to it from classic, nor another for the last expansion of WoW aimed at an adult audience - WotLK. And nothing indicates all three versions couldn't have very healthy populations that make Blizzard tons of money. Look how WoW's population has dwindled since they changed their focus from adults to children. This classic server will just recoup some of the numbers they've hemorrhaged over the years.
    [Deleted User]
    Sephiroso said:
    sayuu said:
    DrunkWolf said:
    thunderC said:

Leiloni said:

"LF3 more for Hogger"

. . .good times

...not so good times. Spending hours in a dungeon just for tank/healer to leave and having to hope you can find people willing to join a non fresh run was a nightmare that happened all the time.

Conversely, it encouraged learning to play one's role effectively and discouraged treating everyone like expendable tools for the same reason.
    sedatedkarmamrputts[Deleted User]

Anyone know what this announcement means for a general timeframe we are looking at for release?  Does it say anything about team size or the amount of work that has gone into it from it first being announced?  
    blamo2000 said:
    I honestly don't think people saying the classic servers will only have short term success understand why people interested in a classic server are interested. You are imposing your beliefs and desires onto people coming from a completely different place and mindset. Its like a devout Christian telling an Atheist they'll get bored of having no religion because they won't get new content from the Christian community or Sunday service.

I am absolutely baffled as to why or how people could be interested in such a low-brow games like modern WoW with systems literally made to attract and retain young children, completely devoid of any complexity, need for thought, or anything remotely interesting to mature mmorpg players. Yet, since I am reasonable I do not go into WoW expansion threads and tell all modern WoW players they'll get bored of WoW because it is geared towards stupid children. Neither do we do it for games with absolutely no content like MOBAs, battle royale games, or the crafting games called survival games. Obviously the people interested in tripe like that have different wants and desires for what they are looking for in a game. I certainly would be bored after trying them, but that does not mean the kid's playing them, or watching other people playing them, will.

There is nothing saying they couldn't make a WoW BC server and allow character transfers to it from classic, nor another for the last expansion of WoW aimed at an adult audience - WotLK. And nothing indicates all three versions couldn't have very healthy populations that make Blizzard tons of money. Look how WoW's population has dwindled since they changed their focus from adults to children. This classic server will just recoup some of the numbers they've hemorrhaged over the years.
    Uhhuh, same people said similar stuff about Bless Online. All i'll say is "i told you so" when it crashes.
    rpmcmurphy

Sephiroso said:
    sayuu said:
    DrunkWolf said:
    thunderC said:

Leiloni said:

"LF3 more for Hogger"

. . .good times

Conversely, it encouraged learning to play one's role effectively and discouraged treating everyone like expendable tools for the same reason.
    It didn't encourage shit. It was just a frustrating experience to go through. Shit players were shit players. The amount of time wasted due to a group being unable to get passed a boss didn't stop shit players from existing.

The only thing it encouraged was only running those dungeons with a set group of people so you didn't have to put up with the mass idiots that knowingly start a dungeon when they only have 20-30 minutes of game time before they g2g and fuck over 4-9 over people.

There is a reason Blizzard changed their dungeon structures moving forward. There is a reason no mmorpg since then has dungeons structured like that anymore. It was a terrible idea for an mmorpg to have multiple hours long runs when you are dependent on everyone being needed to get through the dungeon and all it takes is 1 person leaving or dcing to fuck it up for everyone else and a lot of the time that meant it was nearly impossible to find a replacement depending what bosses were killed.
    MadFrenchierpmcmurphy

Sephiroso said:
    Sephiroso said:
    sayuu said:
    DrunkWolf said:
    thunderC said:

Leiloni said:

"LF3 more for Hogger"

. . .good times

It didn't encourage shit. It was just a frustrating experience to go through. Shit players were shit players. The amount of time wasted due to a group being unable to get passed a boss didn't stop shit players from existing.

The only thing it encouraged was only running those dungeons with a set group of people so you didn't have to put up with the mass idiots that knowingly start a dungeon when they only have 20-30 minutes of game time before they g2g and fuck over 4-9 over people.

There is a reason Blizzard changed their dungeon structures moving forward. There is a reason no mmorpg since then has dungeons structured like that anymore. It was a terrible idea for an mmorpg to have multiple hours long runs when you are dependent on everyone being needed to get through the dungeon and all it takes is 1 person leaving or dcing to fuck it up for everyone else and a lot of the time that meant it was nearly impossible to find a replacement depending what bosses were killed.
    I didn't "run dungeons with a set group of people." Quit speaking in such generalizations, it's embarrassing.

And seeing your attitude in general towards other players, maybe there's a reason beyond "mass idiots" for why you had such a shitty time with group content.
    mmolou[Deleted User]rpmcmurphydeniter

Rhoklaw said:
    Sephiroso said:
    blamo2000 said:

Uhhuh, same people said similar stuff about Bless Online. All i'll say is "i told you so" when it crashes.
    Did you just really compare Bless to anything related to World of Warcraft? Bless has never been successful, but World of Warcraft is a behemoth in the MMO industry. As I already mentioned to you once in this thread. There were plenty of healthy classic servers, albeit illegal ones, that were around for a very long time. So I'm not exactly sure what data or information you are basing your assumptions on, but I don't see them as being all too accurate.
    Judging by his posts in general regarding the topic, he seemingly feels offended in some way that Blizzard is doing this and/or at the idea that anyone would enjoy it.
    [Deleted User]mmolou[Deleted User]

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    I think that claiming that this will fail completely is absolutely insane. This will be huge initially. I do think that it will settle after a few months and will become as big as smaller niche games like EQ1/EQ2/ DCUO / Rift / AA , ect. I don't expect it to last too long. They could gate content to make it lost a little longer, but I doubt they will do that. They are basically building this, maintaining it so that it doesn't break, and moving on. This is not a progression server. Eventually, all you will have to do is Nax and grind BGs. Some people want that, but that is again; very niche. 
    Sephiroso said:
    blamo2000 said:

What similar things?  Please give examples of the similar things people said about Bless that I said about WoW classic server.
    Celcius said:
    I think that claiming that this will fail completely is absolutely insane. This will be huge initially. I do think that it will settle after a few months and will become as big as smaller niche games like EQ1/EQ2/ DCUO / Rift / AA , ect. I don't expect it to last too long. They could gate content to make it lost a little longer, but I doubt they will do that. They are basically building this, maintaining it so that it doesn't break, and moving on. This is not a progression server. Eventually, all you will have to do is Nax and grind BGs. Some people want that, but that is again; very niche. 

Its not just what there is to do - its the systems available while you do it.  Current WoW stripped all complexity and any system requiring thought or choice out of the game to attract a larger audience, while alienating their audience there because of those items.  No one disputes that, yet it still has a large player base.  Old WoW had less repetitive things to do, but much, much better systems that made the content available worth doing and the game worth playing.  

This whole thread is people projecting what they currently want in games onto what made people want a classic server or what currently drives them to play private servers of old content.  The fact that if you are currently playing new MMOs, and taking your wants and desires, or the wants and desires of your friends who play them, is leaving out all the reasons why people like me and others extremely interested in a classic WoW server want it and why we do not play any of the shit, water-down tripe that is popular today.  Your arguments seem to be that WoW classic will fail because people want Harry Potter and without Harry Potter they will get bored.  Ignoring the fact that people who like actual good, classic, intelligent, adult literary works have no interest in Harry Potter and the success or failure of "Crime and Punishment" in today's market has nothing to do with Harry Potter fans.

Celcius[Deleted User]deniter
  • wandericawanderica Member UncommonPosts: 370
    I'm happy we finally have some news, but like many others, I also think it will enjoy only short-lived success. I think EQ and EQII's progressive approach would have been the more elegant solution. They've already put the work into making old patches work on the new back-end, after all. Progressing through all of the patches without simply locking yet to be released features (a la EQ and EQII) would give this project some much needed continuity.
    Celcius

• calibekcalibek Member UncommonPosts: 300
    edited June 2018
    I personally think this server will do good....at first. After about 6 months I think it will go down to niche status.

People who have fond memories of the game 15 years ago are now 15 years older. I thought it was fun to sit in a dungeon for 3 hours or so beating on things but it eventually got tiresome. Now though, most of the people who were playing then don't have time for that. People get older and busier. 

As far as Nost and other vanilla servers, yes a lot of people played them because they miss the old days, but a lot more played them because they were free. A lot of games today are, well, let's go with the word thrifty, in their expenditures. Throwing a sub in the mix, if there is one, will be a deterent for a lot of those who played free servers.

On the complexity issue, vanilla wasn't more complex...at least the combat wasn't. It suffered from bloat more than anything. Yes the talent tree was more robust, but let's be honest...who really wants to take 5 levels of Wand Mastery, increasing your wand damage by 5% just to get to a talent they need. Having 3 spells that pretty much do the same thing was also pointless. If they want to make the game more complex then all they need to do is disable EVERY add-on and boom, you are more complex. Some add-ons in this game now make every player brain dead because it tells you when to move, where to go, etc. That's not on the WoW dev team but on the players.

There is a reason that every game that tried to copy vanilla WoW is either flailing to stay alive or no longer in existance (Wild Star) and thats because Vanilla had the lore from warcraft 3 to put it in a great place and word of mouth spread from it.

The player base for gaming has significantly evolved 15 years later, and those that prefer long, drawn out, dungeon crawls are more minority now. Most people have the "gogogogo" mentality and vanilla WoW dungeon crawl is just going to be too much of a slog for them, further reducing the people on there.

I'm happy for those who want this, and I think Blizzard will recoup it's costs on this. In fact I can guarantee there will be press release after press release about how wildly successful the classic servers are and how they are growing. After the initial fun wears off though and the server reaches its final stop I think the player base will dwindle, Blizz will milk it for the last, then shut it down and when these clamorings for a classic server come up they can say we already tried it and it failed (Mobile auction house for WoW and real money auction house for Diablo). I mean reliving your youth is fun and all but, let's be honest, once Naxx is released who really wants to run the same dungeon month after month. At this point it is fantasy monster Hunter with no sequel. 
    Celcius

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Do people really want to go back to something from 14 years ago and do that again?
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Do people really want to go back to something from 14 years ago and do that again?
    Yes
    Phrymmolou[Deleted User]blamo2000FrodoFragins[Deleted User]
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Yes.
    mmolou[Deleted User]blamo2000[Deleted User]