Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW CLASSIC News - It Will Begin with Patch 1.12, Drums of War - World of Warcraft - MMORPG.com

Comments

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849

Leiloni said:

I never played Vanilla so I'm going to check this out just out of curiosity. But I don't expect to stick around. I like current WoW just the way it is lol. I do think though that eventually adding new patches would be a better idea for this server. A stagnant server sounds like a boring long, term idea. Maybe not immediately but in a few months introduce smaller patches, then maybe a year later a bigger one?

It really is a different experience. Drops from mobs ie vendor trash and crafting really matter in vanilla. You will actually craft useful items that make the leveling experience easier. Vendoring items ie trash is a must because you will need gold. Getting a green item to drop off a random mob has wayyyyy more meaning and is wayyy more rewarding than anything in current wow. The first time you get a BOE Blue to drop you will feel like you won the lottery cause you did.

Traversing the world feels like a actual journey and not the current visiting "disneyland" feel. You will GRIND, You will Die to non elite mobs, You will not be led to quests or have your hand held.

Its really a different experience, Think of a new game with WOW Skin cause thats what it is.
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• k61977k61977 Member RarePosts: 1,239
    Going to be interesting when you see people saying when are they going to add more. Well they aren't suppose to add anything else. What it launches with is it. Think people will jump in get to max level, putt around for a month or so get bored and leave just like they always do.

Sure there were things I loved about the original game and most likely I will pop in myself, but I know ahead of time it isn't something to stick around for.
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    edited June 2018
    This has to be such a shot to the ego of the current wow devs. Imagine going to work and your boss says, You are going to continue what you are doing but we are bringing in a new team to recreate what the guy before you did over 13 years ago. It has to sting
    Shaigh
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• StryckerStrycker Member UncommonPosts: 103
    edited June 2018
    They said they're using 1.12 as a foundatiom, just like private servers. This does NOT mean that all content will be out on release; It will very likely still be timed. Private servers have had years to deal with a fix these issues, and it makes sense that Blizzard would follow a similar model. In addition to that. I would not be surprised if the lead devs from Nostalrius (Viper and Daemon) have been low key hired on at Blizzard to spearhead this project
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    I will have to play this, not sure for how long, but i am totally up for it :D
  • ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,253
    gonna be fun few month but after that no one play classic server.
  • RasiemRasiem Member UncommonPosts: 316
    I guess I don't see the point. I mean, progression servers are great. They allow you to go back and play the game from the beginning and progress. This just seems "meh". How long will someone want to play BWL (not even sure BWL was out by then, to be honest) and raid Tarren Mill before the novelty wears off?
    I bet they said its locked because they don't want to promise anything just incase it doesn't take off. I'm sure they will do updates.
  • ThaneThane Member RarePosts: 3,422
    serverd no purpose when they first introduced it to live, and it still does not.

you want a "classic" wow, sure sure. you want "pvp" in wow, sure sure....
    and maybe you want that those little butterflies come to do your homework, who knows. about the same.

things are what they are, and wow never was a pvp game. hf

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 6,896
    Thane said:
    serverd no purpose when they first introduced it to live, and it still does not.

you want a "classic" wow, sure sure. you want "pvp" in wow, sure sure....
    and maybe you want that those little butterflies come to do your homework, who knows. about the same.

things are what they are, and wow never was a pvp game. hf
    Strangely, WoW had the most popular MMORPG PvP for about a decade.
  • kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 843

Celcius said:

The phrasing "Start with 1.12" is not accurate. It will Start and End with 1.12 is more appropriate. This is not a progression server. The content that is out at release is the content that will be available forever and you won't get more then that.

This would be pretty much dead on arrival if they had all content available at launch, would be interesting to see how fast some of the hardcore guilds could clear all the content though.
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,657
    Kyleran said:

SBFord said:

Scellow said:

They should remake the game with modern standard instead of recycling an old and dying engine

The vanilla "purists" would NEVER accept that. They're doing what has been requested. :)

Just look at Old School Runescape & Runescape 3. Old School has terrible graphics and Runescape 3 has better and with optional interface & combat style of old school runescape. Still, however, the actual Old School runescape community and players GREATLY outnumber the players of RS3.
    A better comparison is to note Runescape "Classic" version (2001 snapshot)  closes in August. 

Old School Runescape is a 2007 view, so by similar comparison the server version Blizzard should be releasing is....Cataclysm. (2010)

;)

Actually if I understand the technical bits the Blizzard engine for Classic will be 2018 with 2007/2008 data (patch 1.12). That patch is last version 1 patch before Burning Crusade  2.0.1.
    MendelMadFrenchie
    take back the hobby: https://www.reddit.com/r/patientgamers/

traveller, interloper, anomaly
    ༼ つ ◕◕ ༽つ

It only took 3 people 8 words to rock Blizzard to its core.
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,657
    Sephiroso said:
    I guess I don't see the point. I mean, progression servers are great. They allow you to go back and play the game from the beginning and progress. This just seems "meh". How long will someone want to play BWL (not even sure BWL was out by then, to be honest) and raid Tarren Mill before the novelty wears off?
    To give you an idea, 1.11(or 1.10) was Naxx.
    Point still stands. How long do you think WoW would have survived has it just stalled out at 1.12 on the live servers ans Blizzard had decided that the expansions weren't worth it or something? I love original WoW as much as the next person, but that kind of stagnation in content will create the same thing we see with new games now: the cycle of play a bit, lose interest, leave. 

I get PvPing for titles will be fun, and playing the old version of Naxx will be a blast, but after that.....what? The whole draw of progression servers is to start brand new. but to get new content every 3 months or whatever. Why not do vote progression? Allow the community to decide if the next path comes out or not. Just seems like the novelty is gonna wear off and those servers will be empty a year down the road. Maybe not, though.

I have this odd feeling that people will flock there with rose colored glasses on and then realize they miss a lot of the modern amenities that WoW has.
    After that you roll an alt or move on. How is it any different than live servers? I resub back to WoW once a year since you blast through whatever current content it has quite fast. Classic WoW will take a lot longer to go through.
    Games shouldn't last forever. We've learned from two decades of experience that MMO systems don't scale indefinitely and at some point there will be a combat and mechanics revamp because of that and then the game won't be the same anymore.

Maybe MMOs should, as I first heard SBFord suggest, have an end point. You reach cap, you've done all you can do. You can roll alts or move on and then at some point the studio can make a new game. They don't have to shutter the old game, just stop bolting crap onto it so they can sell an "xpac".
    blueturtle13MadFrenchiesedatedkarma
    take back the hobby: https://www.reddit.com/r/patientgamers/

traveller, interloper, anomaly
    ༼ つ ◕◕ ༽つ

It only took 3 people 8 words to rock Blizzard to its core.
  • KabulozoKabulozo Member UncommonPosts: 884
    edited June 2018
    Will the crowd who play older WoW versions on private servers pay to play Classic? Maybe. Will they have to buy a full game again and on top of that, subscription?
  • SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,019
    edited June 2018
    Sephiroso said:
    Point still stands. How long do you think WoW would have survived has it just stalled out at 1.12 on the live servers ans Blizzard had decided that the expansions weren't worth it or something? I love original WoW as much as the next person, but that kind of stagnation in content will create the same thing we see with new games now: the cycle of play a bit, lose interest, leave. 

I get PvPing for titles will be fun, and playing the old version of Naxx will be a blast, but after that.....what? The whole draw of progression servers is to start brand new. but to get new content every 3 months or whatever. Why not do vote progression? Allow the community to decide if the next path comes out or not. Just seems like the novelty is gonna wear off and those servers will be empty a year down the road. Maybe not, though.

I have this odd feeling that people will flock there with rose colored glasses on and then realize they miss a lot of the modern amenities that WoW has.
    After that you roll an alt or move on. How is it any different than live servers? I resub back to WoW once a year since you blast through whatever current content it has quite fast. Classic WoW will take a lot longer to go through.
    What do you mean how is it any different from live servers? They constantly are adding new content to live servers, they won't be to wow classic.

Not to mention there's been a lot of shit added to entertain people in live servers that class wow won't have. Mythic+ saved wow. Classic WoW don't have that. Battle pets being another thing classic WoW won't have.

A ton of collectibility is just straight up gone from classic WoW.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• RasiemRasiem Member UncommonPosts: 316
    Torval said:
    Sephiroso said:

Games shouldn't last forever. We've learned from two decades of experience that MMO systems don't scale indefinitely and at some point there will be a combat and mechanics revamp because of that and then the game won't be the same anymore.

Maybe MMOs should, as I first heard SBFord suggest, have an end point. You reach cap, you've done all you can do. You can roll alts or move on and then at some point the studio can make a new game. They don't have to shutter the old game, just stop bolting crap onto it so they can sell an "xpac".
    I agree for the most part but I think you can resolve some of these issues with system revamps or systems you add for horizontal progression. The vertical progression system is where we run into issues because when you game is gear based you have no choice but to constantly scale upwards to higher numbers.
    Torval
  • MendelMendel Member EpicPosts: 3,271
    For me, there is only one question about WoW Classic -- will it be released before the other games relying on nostalgia?  If so, it will answer a few questions about the viability and size of this market segment, even if the general public never has direct access to this type of information.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• summerstringssummerstrings Member UncommonPosts: 73

I am looking forward to my classic Hunter, like when we had to buy ammo.

And constantly feed your pet.

It was things like that I loved about WoW back them . :)
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,018
    I would like to try classic servers so i can experience the story in vanilla. I'm always wondering what happened in the game during that time and had to just look around wikis. Once i'm done with that i will surely go back to current WoW.

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,614
    thunderC said:

Leiloni said:

I never played Vanilla so I'm going to check this out just out of curiosity. But I don't expect to stick around. I like current WoW just the way it is lol. I do think though that eventually adding new patches would be a better idea for this server. A stagnant server sounds like a boring long, term idea. Maybe not immediately but in a few months introduce smaller patches, then maybe a year later a bigger one?

It really is a different experience. Drops from mobs ie vendor trash and crafting really matter in vanilla. You will actually craft useful items that make the leveling experience easier. Vendoring items ie trash is a must because you will need gold. Getting a green item to drop off a random mob has wayyyyy more meaning and is wayyy more rewarding than anything in current wow. The first time you get a BOE Blue to drop you will feel like you won the lottery cause you did.

Traversing the world feels like a actual journey and not the current visiting "disneyland" feel. You will GRIND, You will Die to non elite mobs, You will not be led to quests or have your hand held.

Its really a different experience, Think of a new game with WOW Skin cause thats what it is.
    you will also be competing with hundreds of other people over the 6 mobs that spawn for your quest. people think vanilla wow is hard but its not, its only frusterating because of the mob spawns compared to the people trying to kill them. your playing a game made for single player with tons of other people who are just in your way.
    mmolou

I am looking forward to my classic Hunter, like when we had to buy ammo.

And constantly feed your pet.

It was things like that I loved about WoW back them . :)
    Good thing you have games like Ark to fill that niche need then.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,483
    DrunkWolf said:
    thunderC said:

Leiloni said:

you will also be competing with hundreds of other people over the 6 mobs that spawn for your quest. people think vanilla wow is hard but its not, its only frusterating because of the mob spawns compared to the people trying to kill them. your playing a game made for single player with tons of other people who are just in your way.
    No, mobs were objectively stronger as a comparison to player power.  You weren't pwning elites left and right in vanilla WoW.

• sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 745
    DrunkWolf said:
    thunderC said:

Leiloni said:

No, mobs were objectively stronger as a comparison to player power.  You weren't pwning elites left and right in vanilla WoW.
    "LF3 more for Hogger"

. . .good times

MadFrenchiemmolou
    sayuu said:
    DrunkWolf said:
    thunderC said:

Leiloni said:

"LF3 more for Hogger"

. . .good times

LF3M for Maurodon, 4 bosses dead"

...not so good times. Spending hours in a dungeon just for tank/healer to leave and having to hope you can find people willing to join a non fresh run was a nightmare that happened all the time.

Also the chat spam for groups was ridiculous.
    SBFord

• blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 927
    I honestly don't think people saying the classic servers will only have short term success understand why people interested in a classic server are interested. You are imposing your beliefs and desires onto people coming from a completely different place and mindset. Its like a devout Christian telling an Atheist they'll get bored of having no religion because they won't get new content from the Christian community or Sunday service.

I am absolutely baffled as to why or how people could be interested in such a low-brow games like modern WoW with systems literally made to attract and retain young children, completely devoid of any complexity, need for thought, or anything remotely interesting to mature mmorpg players. Yet, since I am reasonable I do not go into WoW expansion threads and tell all modern WoW players they'll get bored of WoW because it is geared towards stupid children. Neither do we do it for games with absolutely no content like MOBAs, battle royale games, or the crafting games called survival games. Obviously the people interested in tripe like that have different wants and desires for what they are looking for in a game. I certainly would be bored after trying them, but that does not mean the kid's playing them, or watching other people playing them, will.

There is nothing saying they couldn't make a WoW BC server and allow character transfers to it from classic, nor another for the last expansion of WoW aimed at an adult audience - WotLK. And nothing indicates all three versions couldn't have very healthy populations that make Blizzard tons of money. Look how WoW's population has dwindled since they changed their focus from adults to children. This classic server will just recoup some of the numbers they've hemorrhaged over the years.
    [Deleted User]
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,483
    Sephiroso said:
    sayuu said:
    DrunkWolf said:
    thunderC said:

Leiloni said:

"LF3 more for Hogger"

. . .good times

LF3M for Maurodon, 4 bosses dead"

...not so good times. Spending hours in a dungeon just for tank/healer to leave and having to hope you can find people willing to join a non fresh run was a nightmare that happened all the time.

Also the chat spam for groups was ridiculous.
    Conversely, it encouraged learning to play one's role effectively and discouraged treating everyone like expendable tools for the same reason.
    sedatedkarmamrputts[Deleted User]