Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW CLASSIC News - It Will Begin with Patch 1.12, Drums of War - World of Warcraft - MMORPG.com

Comments

• LorgarnLorgarn Member UncommonPosts: 417
    Axxar said:
    btdt said:
    Releasing all the content of vanilla on day one is a mistake.  It wasn't released in that manner originally.  People will just skip some content entirely and jump into the last raid as soon as possible since it will drop the best gear.  People will just farm Argent Dawn rep from the get go.

The thing about vanilla is that you had to progress through the content... some by virtue of attunements, other by virtue of it not being open.  So the Gates of Ahn Qiraj are already open?  What about the war effort to open them?  The damn mount?  

Hell it sounds like they've already done a cop out.  Private servers at least tried to maintain the original as much as possible.  Classic is going to be a failure.
    Private servers based in 1.12 have content progression, so I think you are jumping the gun here.
    Yep, as I read the classic article I got the impression they were talking more about the technical backend and the foundation of the Classic experience. As in 'How' to deliver the content rather than 'Which' type of content.

As Axxar said, private servers are based on 1.12 all thoughtout their lifetime for their backend, then they stagger out the content patches, often in a Blizzlike schedule too.

So I'm not particularly worried, I don't think Blizzard would make that mistake.
  • SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Lorgarn said:
    Axxar said:
    btdt said:
    Releasing all the content of vanilla on day one is a mistake.  It wasn't released in that manner originally.  People will just skip some content entirely and jump into the last raid as soon as possible since it will drop the best gear.  People will just farm Argent Dawn rep from the get go.

The thing about vanilla is that you had to progress through the content... some by virtue of attunements, other by virtue of it not being open.  So the Gates of Ahn Qiraj are already open?  What about the war effort to open them?  The damn mount?  

Hell it sounds like they've already done a cop out.  Private servers at least tried to maintain the original as much as possible.  Classic is going to be a failure.
    Private servers based in 1.12 have content progression, so I think you are jumping the gun here.

So I'm not particularly worried, I don't think Blizzard would make that mistake.
    RMAH :D
    MrMelGibson

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• RasiemRasiem Member UncommonPosts: 318
    edited June 2018
    Right out the gate these servers will be full with millions of players, anyone who disagrees hasn't seen the size of the communities of the private servers. Plus what I think is getting missed is the fact that crafting matters and the game content was actually difficult with lots of travel time. The private servers were so successful the largest most popular company in the video game space had to threaten them with lawsuit's Nostalrius was one of the most successful private servers to date, with over 800,000 accounts registered, of which 150,000 were active and this was only 1 server lol. Also the success seen with Runescape classic over Runescape 3 is a big tell that there's huge communities that just do not like quick and easy content. I just wish we would get more games that were a Horizontal and not Vertical build so we could finally enjoy all the content and remove the rat race to end game. All the beautiful areas these company's create to have us never return to it lol it always seems like such a waste of time.
    NeonShadow[Deleted User]MrMelGibson
  • MrG8MrG8 Member UncommonPosts: 111
    edited June 2018
    I played on Nostalrius before Blizzard took it down. Loved it. That classic experience (Im an old classic player) beats all the damn expansion together. Those expansion offer nothing but an empty shell with no love and passion.
    You who havent tried WOW classic might ask why it can be so good since it doesnt offer as much content as WOW do today. But you will realize when you play wow classic that its not about the amount of content its about what the content is and how much love and passion its given to it. And even if wow classic doesnt have as much content as in world map and other stuff it doesnt matter. wow classic still today got more hours of joy compared to all the expansions together.

I hope WOW Classic is here to stay the way it WAS. No shitty progression server as Rift chooses to have or something like that.

Give us WOW Classic and leave it. Sure the kids that play wow today will try it out and probably leave after some day or two when they realize you cant level boost to max level in 1 hour etc. And there is no flying mounts or really cool looking armors and this and that.. But let them leave, I'm sure wow classic is not the game for them.
    But I'm sure that WOW Classic will bring money that Blizzard otherwise wouldn't get. We veteran player will stay, I'm sure.
    I hope they just dont ruin it in someway now.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Doing the time warp again...I hope it goes well. :)
    SBFord
  • GanksinatraGanksinatra Member UncommonPosts: 455
    I guess I don't see the point. I mean, progression servers are great. They allow you to go back and play the game from the beginning and progress. This just seems "meh". How long will someone want to play BWL (not even sure BWL was out by then, to be honest) and raid Tarren Mill before the novelty wears off?
  • SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    I guess I don't see the point. I mean, progression servers are great. They allow you to go back and play the game from the beginning and progress. This just seems "meh". How long will someone want to play BWL (not even sure BWL was out by then, to be honest) and raid Tarren Mill before the novelty wears off?
    To give you an idea, 1.11(or 1.10) was Naxx.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• GanksinatraGanksinatra Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Sephiroso said:
    Point still stands. How long do you think WoW would have survived has it just stalled out at 1.12 on the live servers ans Blizzard had decided that the expansions weren't worth it or something? I love original WoW as much as the next person, but that kind of stagnation in content will create the same thing we see with new games now: the cycle of play a bit, lose interest, leave. 

I get PvPing for titles will be fun, and playing the old version of Naxx will be a blast, but after that.....what? The whole draw of progression servers is to start brand new. but to get new content every 3 months or whatever. Why not do vote progression? Allow the community to decide if the next path comes out or not. Just seems like the novelty is gonna wear off and those servers will be empty a year down the road. Maybe not, though.

I have this odd feeling that people will flock there with rose colored glasses on and then realize they miss a lot of the modern amenities that WoW has.
  • OutaiOutai Member UncommonPosts: 77
    I'm in for sure... Not expecting to play for years.

I just want that nonlinear questing experience, find some of those hidden quests that I always missed during leveling a bazillion alts. The higher difficulty of low level dungeons, without dungeon finder. To finally experience classic raids as is, as I started when BC came out.

Then those long Alterac Valley fights, and world PvP.
  • WalkinGlennWalkinGlenn Member RarePosts: 451
    Looking forward to farming my beast stalkers set so i can camp the light hope chapel flight path and kill some filthy hoard
  • NeonShadowNeonShadow Member UncommonPosts: 326
    Sephiroso said:
    Point still stands. How long do you think WoW would have survived has it just stalled out at 1.12 on the live servers ans Blizzard had decided that the expansions weren't worth it or something? I love original WoW as much as the next person, but that kind of stagnation in content will create the same thing we see with new games now: the cycle of play a bit, lose interest, leave. 

I get PvPing for titles will be fun, and playing the old version of Naxx will be a blast, but after that.....what? The whole draw of progression servers is to start brand new. but to get new content every 3 months or whatever. Why not do vote progression? Allow the community to decide if the next path comes out or not. Just seems like the novelty is gonna wear off and those servers will be empty a year down the road. Maybe not, though.

I have this odd feeling that people will flock there with rose colored glasses on and then realize they miss a lot of the modern amenities that WoW has.
    After that you roll an alt or move on. How is it any different than live servers? I resub back to WoW once a year since you blast through whatever current content it has quite fast. Classic WoW will take a lot longer to go through.
    [Deleted User]
  • mmoloummolou Member UncommonPosts: 256
    danasty said:
    pvp is gonna be INSANE! on classic..pve people beware! and I can not wait to see original WESTFALL again! absolutely love that place!
    Or the old Tauren Mill gankfest.
    Tarren Mill, but yes, PvP there was awesome, only thing that was more fun was MCing players into the lava in Blackrock Mountain.
    [Deleted User]TheScavenger
    It is a funny world we live in.
    We had Empires run by Emperors, we had Kingdoms run by Kings, now we have Countries...
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    I will play for sure just not sure how long though.

• FinvegaFinvega Member RarePosts: 260
    edited June 2018
    Plenty of peeps play on the private servers, so I think a healthy player base is possible. Many people won't play the private servers for various reasons, but will a legit Blizz product. For me, I would like progression through the last expansion that had Talent points. They lost me when that changed.
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849

Leiloni said:

I never played Vanilla so I'm going to check this out just out of curiosity. But I don't expect to stick around. I like current WoW just the way it is lol. I do think though that eventually adding new patches would be a better idea for this server. A stagnant server sounds like a boring long, term idea. Maybe not immediately but in a few months introduce smaller patches, then maybe a year later a bigger one?

It really is a different experience. Drops from mobs ie vendor trash and crafting really matter in vanilla. You will actually craft useful items that make the leveling experience easier. Vendoring items ie trash is a must because you will need gold. Getting a green item to drop off a random mob has wayyyyy more meaning and is wayyy more rewarding than anything in current wow. The first time you get a BOE Blue to drop you will feel like you won the lottery cause you did.

Traversing the world feels like a actual journey and not the current visiting "disneyland" feel. You will GRIND, You will Die to non elite mobs, You will not be led to quests or have your hand held.

Its really a different experience, Think of a new game with WOW Skin cause thats what it is.
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    Going to be interesting when you see people saying when are they going to add more. Well they aren't suppose to add anything else. What it launches with is it. Think people will jump in get to max level, putt around for a month or so get bored and leave just like they always do.

Sure there were things I loved about the original game and most likely I will pop in myself, but I know ahead of time it isn't something to stick around for.
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    edited June 2018
    This has to be such a shot to the ego of the current wow devs. Imagine going to work and your boss says, You are going to continue what you are doing but we are bringing in a new team to recreate what the guy before you did over 13 years ago. It has to sting
    Shaigh
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• StryckerStrycker Member UncommonPosts: 110
    edited June 2018
    They said they're using 1.12 as a foundatiom, just like private servers. This does NOT mean that all content will be out on release; It will very likely still be timed. Private servers have had years to deal with a fix these issues, and it makes sense that Blizzard would follow a similar model. In addition to that. I would not be surprised if the lead devs from Nostalrius (Viper and Daemon) have been low key hired on at Blizzard to spearhead this project
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    I will have to play this, not sure for how long, but i am totally up for it :D
  • ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    gonna be fun few month but after that no one play classic server.
  • RasiemRasiem Member UncommonPosts: 318
    I bet they said its locked because they don't want to promise anything just incase it doesn't take off. I'm sure they will do updates.
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    serverd no purpose when they first introduced it to live, and it still does not.

you want a "classic" wow, sure sure. you want "pvp" in wow, sure sure....
    and maybe you want that those little butterflies come to do your homework, who knows. about the same.

things are what they are, and wow never was a pvp game. hf

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Thane said:
    serverd no purpose when they first introduced it to live, and it still does not.

you want a "classic" wow, sure sure. you want "pvp" in wow, sure sure....
    and maybe you want that those little butterflies come to do your homework, who knows. about the same.

things are what they are, and wow never was a pvp game. hf
    Strangely, WoW had the most popular MMORPG PvP for about a decade.
  • kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854

Celcius said:

The phrasing "Start with 1.12" is not accurate. It will Start and End with 1.12 is more appropriate. This is not a progression server. The content that is out at release is the content that will be available forever and you won't get more then that.

This would be pretty much dead on arrival if they had all content available at launch, would be interesting to see how fast some of the hardcore guilds could clear all the content though.
  • KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    edited June 2018
    Will the crowd who play older WoW versions on private servers pay to play Classic? Maybe. Will they have to buy a full game again and on top of that, subscription?