Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW CLASSIC News - It Will Begin with Patch 1.12, Drums of War - World of Warcraft - MMORPG.com

Comments

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited June 2018
    Torval said:
    SBFord said:
    mgilbrtsn said:
    I think this is doomed to short term success. People are gonna go in with those rose colored glasses and when they reach end game are gonna wonder...'where's some new content.' I could be wrong obviously, but MMOs that have no 'evolution' in terms of content, get hammered.
    As reluctant as I am to agree with you, I truly do. The way people consume content these days, what's inside the classic vanilla experience isn't going to be enough. People kvetch about largescale games "not having enough" content. I can't imagine what this could turn out like and how fast people will buzz through it.
    I don't necessarily disagree, but the progression (should?) will be much slower if it's truly classic.

No heirlooms to expedite leveling alts, either.
    It should be but I'm not sure people will go for it. The progression for WH40K is slower than typical and it has castigated for that. Maybe the core demographic for Classic will enjoy the slower pace. I doubt anyone else will, even if they should expect it.

Welcome to the Orange grove. Congrats!
    Thanks!

No doubt, we won't see a huge sustainable population.  For my part, I'll likely enjoy it casually more than likely.

The biggest detriment, in my mind, would be if there isn't a large enough population sticking around to properly leverage the more distinct and separate roles each class had.  That's an issue I've ran into going back to try DAoC, there isn't enough population leveling classes to fill out the leveling zones.  That's a disappointing feeling, specifically for someone like me who doesn't go into these games with a group of folks I can count on to play with.

Another example: I recently tried the SWG emu server (post-NGE).  They even had an auto-level system so you can join the rest of the population.  The only thing was, the Bounty Hunter I created needed tracking drones, which could not be found in the world but had to be crafted by other players.  Only, there were zero drones on the marketplace, presumably because the dedicated base either had friends who crafted the drones for them directly, or they had a crafter of their own that crafted those drones.  It left me without much options for actually tracking bounties.  That kind of thing can kill an otherwise enjoyable experience when player interdependency literally holds your experience hostage.

That's not so much a problem for newer/more popular MMORPGs.
    Post edited by MadFrenchie on
    rertez[Deleted User]MrMelGibson

edited June 2018
    Torval said:
    I can't believe LFG tool and cross realm battlegrounds haven't come up yet.
    I had an idea the other day that I thought may be beneficial to games that want to avoid auto-matching of groups while still helping players find one another as much as possible.

The LFG advertising tool, as far as I've experienced, only let you advertise your currently logged in player.  Why not allow players to advertise a group for ALL their created characters, regardless of which is logged in?  I don't mean the auto-porting LFG queues, but the simple advertisement system included in some MMORPGs.  Seems like it would increase the chances of players finding groupmates, and they could choose to advertise one, two, or all of their character's similtaneously for other players.
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibson

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464

SBFord said:

This ought to twitterpate your weekend, folks! <3</div>

For those of you who are also wondering...

SBFord[Deleted User][Deleted User]MrMelGibson
    --------------------------------------------
  • MarknMarkn Member UncommonPosts: 307
    It should be a progression server otherwise whats the point ? I agree it won't last the initial rush will be popular but 3 months down the road it will struggle.
    WellspringSBFordAalamrMrMelGibson
  • rertezrertez Member UncommonPosts: 230
    I think the target audience has grown to an age that this classic wow shouldn't be more than just some occasional nostalgia. It shouldn't make big bucks right at launch since it's just an optional service that is pretty much destined to make money in the following years.

I'm not sure if I'm interested at all yet. Even I might revisit an official vanilla WoW server sometime. Probably I would quit before level 18 but sometimes it's just good to know that there is a piece of history inside the datacenters. Not many games are lucky enough to have that nowadays. Also for the "normal" WoW players it could fill the gaps during content droughts.

The question is that will these servers be able to maintain a core playerbase. Will classic have hundreds or thousands of concurrent players in the long run to maintain an MMORPG experience?
    SBFord[Deleted User]AalamrMrMelGibson
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Markn said:
    It should be a progression server otherwise whats the point ? I agree it won't last the initial rush will be popular but 3 months down the road it will struggle.
    I think the point is to have it be classic :)  It isn't classic if it is progression.  I would love progression maybe with the same game mechanics and thought process for development.  That can't happen.  As soon as you get into the expansions you lose what made classic what it was.  Then. .  not classic.

I do think a progression server would do well. . even if they did a 12 month one and then restarted it or something.

For me I didn't even like the  BC expansion much.  I don't mind the current game but I can already play that without a progression server.

I get why you would want one. . bot saying that the classic server should be a progression server just doesn't make sense to me.
    Cazriel

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 737
    People are by large very oblivious. Vanilla servers have existed for years. There will always be a presence and community for them. Maybe not nearly as big as the current community of WoW, but any attempts to label it as someone with "rose-tinted glasses" is both ignorant and stupid.
    [Deleted User]wormedKyleranAxxarNeonShadowSteelhelmsedatedkarmaAalamrCazrielMrMelGibsonand 4 others.
  • btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    Releasing all the content of vanilla on day one is a mistake.  It wasn't released in that manner originally.  People will just skip some content entirely and jump into the last raid as soon as possible since it will drop the best gear.  People will just farm Argent Dawn rep from the get go.

The thing about vanilla is that you had to progress through the content... some by virtue of attunements, other by virtue of it not being open.  So the Gates of Ahn Qiraj are already open?  What about the war effort to open them?  The damn mount?  

Hell it sounds like they've already done a cop out.  Private servers at least tried to maintain the original as much as possible.  Classic is going to be a failure.
  • ScellowScellow Member RarePosts: 398
    They should remake the game with modern standard instead of recycling an old and dying engine
    SteelhelmReyone1
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited June 2018
    Scellow said:
    They should remake the game with modern standard instead of recycling an old and dying engine
    The vanilla "purists" would NEVER accept that. They're doing what has been requested. :)
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]CelciusMrMelGibson

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    This is really cool and wish everybody the best. I wish Rift would go back to classic before free to fail. The old builds before the changes were the best. Prime isn't classic Rift either. It's half ass Rift...

I will definitely check vanilla WoW out...
    [Deleted User]SamhaelMrMelGibson

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    Great to get news about vanilla!
    Steelhelm
  • perrin82perrin82 Member UncommonPosts: 285
    I am looking forward to my classic Hunter, like when we had to buy ammo.
    Fully agree!
    Steelhelm
  • winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 737

SBFord said:

Scellow said:

The vanilla "purists" would NEVER accept that. They're doing what has been requested. :)

Just look at Old School Runescape & Runescape 3. Old School has terrible graphics and Runescape 3 has better and with optional interface & combat style of old school runescape. Still, however, the actual Old School runescape community and players GREATLY outnumber the players of RS3.
  • Panserbjorne39Panserbjorne39 Member UncommonPosts: 142

I am looking forward to my classic Hunter, like when we had to buy ammo.

And constantly feed your pet.
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibson
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Celcius said:
    The phrasing "Start with 1.12" is not accurate. It will Start and End with 1.12 is more appropriate. This is not a progression server. The content that is out at release is the content that will be available forever and you won't get more then that.
    Well it's not clear that all raid content has to be released at once.
    SBFord[Deleted User]MrMelGibsonThupli
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Torval said:
    cross realm AV would be a deal breaker for most
  • acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    While I'm glad they are starting with 1.12, if there is truly no content progression (even for the 'classic' content) then this is doomed to be short lived* (do they want it to die so they can say, 'we told you so'?).

*Vanilla WoW had a lot of 'catch-up' content (e.g. ZG20, AQ20) added throughout its life, if 'classic' starts with all content available then half the 'end-game' can effectively be skipped.
    edited June 2018
    Torval said:
    Torval said:
    I had an idea the other day that I thought may be beneficial to games that want to avoid auto-matching of groups while still helping players find one another as much as possible.

The LFG advertising tool, as far as I've experienced, only let you advertise your currently logged in player.  Why not allow players to advertise a group for ALL their created characters, regardless of which is logged in?  I don't mean the auto-porting LFG queues, but the simple advertisement system included in some MMORPGs.  Seems like it would increase the chances of players finding groupmates, and they could choose to advertise one, two, or all of their character's similtaneously for other players.
    I totally agree. I think those tools that help people connect without bypassing content are exactly what old school MMORPGs needed. That type of LFG did nothing to break content or ruin social interaction. It was more like a message board in a tavern than an automation tool.

I'm unsure whether they'll even have CR Battlegrounds. I'm not a pvp player so I don't care either way but I could understand why players would want them. I also understand why Blizz wouldn't want Classic and Modern server players mixed if there are balance or skill compatibility issues. It's hard to say.
    Absolutely.  I've always referred to it as organic systems, but I'm not sure that's the right word.  It's just one I came up with for these things in the absence of a better more appropriate term.

Systems that bring folks together without obviating content, like you say.  Whether that be dynamic group questing systems that advertise players hit up an inn to meet other folks to recruit on their quest, increasing the rewards exponentially for each player picked up in these "meeting spots," the LFG advertising tool allowing you to advertise all your characters simultaneously as you like, or whatever.  Things like that can nudge players towards one another through the use of positive rewards in terms of loot, XP, and the gamer experience.

Also, I really need to stop posting from my phone so much.  Dem typos, doe.
    [Deleted User]

• danastydanasty Member UncommonPosts: 20
    edited June 2018
    pvp is gonna be INSANE! on classic..pve people beware! and I can not wait to see original WESTFALL again! absolutely love that place!
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

SBFord said:

Scellow said:

Just look at Old School Runescape & Runescape 3. Old School has terrible graphics and Runescape 3 has better and with optional interface & combat style of old school runescape. Still, however, the actual Old School runescape community and players GREATLY outnumber the players of RS3.
    A better comparison is to note Runescape "Classic" version (2001 snapshot)  closes in August. 

Old School Runescape is a 2007 view, so by similar comparison the server version Blizzard should be releasing is....Cataclysm. (2010)

;)

MrMelGibson

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927
    I keep reading comments that people will get through the content fast because they already know what to do...
    1st. Don't people know what to do with every other content as well? I mean from the current BfA beta people have already learned raid fights, dungeon fights etc... I don't see the difference, except yeah this will get more content with time.
    2nd. Raids - they are 20 men and 40 men. In case you haven't raided in Vanilla let me tell you 40 people = quite a bit of mistakes even if raid fights are easier.
    3rd. PvP - Good luck getting Grand Marshal fast if you don't have the whole server supporting you ;)
    4th. If you want to level 1 character, than gear it up and experience MC yeah it will take you probably only 2-3 months and if you want to get all your gear from MC it will take you probably another 2-3 months(40(50-60 with reserves) men raids don't forget a lot of people want your gear and hunters can wear thunder fury :O). So roughly 5-6 months just for 1 character. That seems like a lot to me and that's just for MC.
    5th. Alts...
    6th. Getting stuff. Not everything is readily available like in other expansions. Even food is expensive that's why mages will so popular back in the days :P

Honestly I personally see A LOT of content in Vanilla especially if you plan to play with more than 1 character.
    Axxar
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    When we ask people what they want, they keep asking for old stuff, bring back the game I used to love, give me a sequel of the game I loved, make me a game that is very similar to other popular games because that's what I will pay for.

Welcome to the reason why companies rarely create something new.
    Mahlo
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • LorgarnLorgarn Member UncommonPosts: 417
    Shaigh said:
    When we ask people what they want, they keep asking for old stuff, bring back the game I used to love, give me a sequel of the game I loved, make me a game that is very similar to other popular games because that's what I will pay for.

Welcome to the reason why companies rarely create something new.
    There is a place (and a market) for creating new and original IPs, there is also a place (and a market) to preserve and maintain gems of old. (See HD-versions and Remastered of old games, they're usually well recieved by fans)

Stop being salty is what I'm trying to say.
    Axxar
  • AxxarAxxar Member UncommonPosts: 104
    btdt said:
    Releasing all the content of vanilla on day one is a mistake.  It wasn't released in that manner originally.  People will just skip some content entirely and jump into the last raid as soon as possible since it will drop the best gear.  People will just farm Argent Dawn rep from the get go.

The thing about vanilla is that you had to progress through the content... some by virtue of attunements, other by virtue of it not being open.  So the Gates of Ahn Qiraj are already open?  What about the war effort to open them?  The damn mount?  

Hell it sounds like they've already done a cop out.  Private servers at least tried to maintain the original as much as possible.  Classic is going to be a failure.
    Private servers based in 1.12 have content progression, so I think you are jumping the gun here.