Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1000 CDN build / upgrade newegg.ca ?

AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
Hello.   I'm looking to upgrade my pc.   

I have an i5 2500k
8gig memory, pretty old
2 monitors
250g SSD

Looking for suggestions for a 1k (roughly) upgrade.  I am limited potentially to new egg.ca .

I was looking at the AMD GPU/CPU motherboard Combo (crate?) But would need memory and likely a new case.

Any thoughts?  Suggestions?

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

Comments

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    It would be easier if you also posted:
     -Your current GPU, assuming you're not using a discrete GPU
     -Your current power supply so that we can check whether it gives enough power to the upgrade
     -Is your case large enough for ATX motherboards? If not, what motherboard form factor does the upgrade need? If you don't know, just post your current motherboard model and we can use that to check

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    edited June 2018
    Thanks!
    AMD 7850
    The memory I have is DDR3 - 1600 4GBX2  
    My PSU is Corsair 80 Plus Gold.  
    Case is...large ...full size atx i think

edited June 2018
    If that case is large then you don't need to upgrade it.

I'd say you've got two viable choices. One is to buy new processor + motherboard + RAM + graphic card. If you want to upgrade to a modern processor then buying a new motherboard and RAM is a must because a new processor won't be compatible with your old motherboard or RAM. Graphic card can be upgraded independently from other components, but it's the most needed upgrade if you're looking for a gaming PC.

I'd recommend something like this: It's I5 8400 + 16 GB of DDR4 RAM + GTX 1060 3GB GPU
      https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/rjpnpG

The other upgrade choice is to switch only your old GPU to the new one. GPUs have developed a lot, so that GTX 1060 would be massively faster than your current GPU
      http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1060-3GB-vs-AMD-HD-7850/3646vs2182

You might want to just switch your old GPU to new one and then check what kind of difference it makes.

If you have only 250 GB of SSD space you might also want to buy new hard disk space when you upgrade. But if you do, don't remove your old SSD it's still good enough and fast enough, it just might be a bit small when a single large game can be 50 GB. But whether you want more hard disk space or not is about personal preference.

You can add a new hard disk separately from other upgrades, and I don't know what you might want so I didn't include any hard disks to my package. But if you add a cheaper 500GB SSD to my option 1 it will become about 1000 CAD.

About your PSU: You didn't really post more than your PSU's manufacturer (Corsair) and power rating (80 Plus Gold). It doesn't tell is the model or wattage.

Corsair PSUs with 80 Plus Gold rating are quite good and the upgrades I've now recommended take little enough power that they should run with any PSU that can run AMD 7850. But if you decide to buy an upgrade with more power hungry parts then check the model and/or wattage to make sure that they run.

EDIT: Fixed the link, my first link was pointing to wrong place.

If you have OEM Windows license and make significant hardware changes, sometimes you need to buying a new Windows license. But usually not, so I didn't include Windows price to my calculations. Microsoft's license policy is a bit confusing and only they really know when you're allowed to change without buy a new Windows license and when not.

If you have a full license instead of OEM then you don't need to re-purchase a Windows license. If you don't know whether it's full or OEM then it's usually OEM license.

EDIT 2: On second thought, a third viable choice is to buy a completely new PC instead of upgrading.
    Post edited by Vrika on

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    I'd recommend thinking replacement, not upgrade.  If your computer is already 6-7 years old, any parts that you want to salvage from the old one to reuse in the new shouldn't be assumed to be reliable for much longer.  The old computer still has some value if kept intact, but not so much if it's missing a couple of components.
    ceratop001
    edited June 2018
    Thanks both, that all makes sense.  maybe something like this:  https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIADGE6UR3162&cm_sp=Homepage_MKPL-_-P1_9SIADGE6UR3162-_-06112018

with another 8G ram?  I can keep my 1080 monitor and use my second for the "old" PC.
    Or yea. . maybe just the 1060 for now.

My PSU is around 520 Watts maybe.

When I think about the new OS licence etc. the GPU upgrade only is more attractive.  I don't need to run things on ULTRA or anything and 1080 is good.  I might even overclock the CPU (should have done that maybe 2500k)

I am thinking more about games like Warhammer.

edited June 2018
    Aethaeryn said:
    That package wouldn't be a good idea. Its processor is only about as fast as your current one:
       http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-7400-vs-Intel-Core-i5-2500K/3886vs619

Also it doesn't have SSD wich means slower hard disk than your current computer.

The better GPU + extra RAM once you'd buy extra would be good, but overall that package at that price isn't a good upgrade.

If you want to buy a new computer I'd suggest something like this system, at the moment 1240 CAD from Newegg
       https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/Kx7FZR

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    All I would do now - if you absolutely need an upgrade, just upgrade the GPU (and possibly add more SSD storage)

Save the rest of your money for entire replacement (possibly xfering this new GPU over to the replacement).

To do a proper replacement, and get something faster/better on the CPU/Motherboard side, you'll likely need a bigger budget, since you'll need a new GPU and RAM (and that's still pricey right now). The GPU gets you 80% of that upgrade on your current rig, for about 33% of the total price.
    Ridelynn said:
    All I would do now - if you absolutely need an upgrade, just upgrade the GPU (and possibly add more SSD storage)

Save the rest of your money for entire replacement (possibly xfering this new GPU over to the replacement).

To do a proper replacement, and get something faster/better on the CPU/Motherboard side, you'll likely need a bigger budget, since you'll need a new GPU and RAM (and that's still pricey right now). The GPU gets you 80% of that upgrade on your current rig, for about 33% of the total price.
    Awesome.  That is what I am going to do until I can spend more.  It will buy me time for sure and be enough of a boost.  Thanks all!

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    It is an expensive time for upgrading right now, all the posters who said just upgrade the graphics card nailed it.  Biggest bang for the buck.  

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    edited June 2018
    Aethaeryn said:
    Roughly equal performance. Keep in mind there are two different 1060's... the 6GB one will be on average slightly faster than a 580, the 3GB on average slightly slower. They will trade off - some games nVidia will outdo AMD, other games prefer AMD, so it's not a blanket statement that one is "better" than the other.

When I say average slightly, I mean like 3-5% difference - not really noticeable unless you are just looking at FPS numbers on a spreadsheet.

The real question is how will it compare to your 7850. Not the best comparison site but it has some data for you.
    edited June 2018
    Aethaeryn said:
    It's a bit faster than GTX 1060 I linked, but it's also a bit more expensive. Is it enough faster to offset the increased price? I think at that super discount price it might be, but it looks like that discount it ending right now and at normal price it definitely won't be.

EDIT: If you want something faster than GTX 1060, then the next good step after that is getting GTX 1070 Ti:
      https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814932013&cm_re=gtx_1070_ti-_-14-932-013-_-Product

It would be more than 60% faster compared to GTX 1060 or RX 580 models, but it also costs a lot more. There isn't anything really good between GTX 1060 class performance and GTX 1070 Ti class performance. There are GTX 1070 and Vega 56 cards, but both of those are usually so expensive that they can't match the price/performance ratio.

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    Quizzical said:
    I'd recommend thinking replacement, not upgrade.  If your computer is already 6-7 years old, any parts that you want to salvage from the old one to reuse in the new shouldn't be assumed to be reliable for much longer.  The old computer still has some value if kept intact, but not so much if it's missing a couple of components.
    Have to agree with this reply. You can get very out of date super fast. Of course budgetary concerns have to be considered. There might be an amd solution within your budget, but if not do not worry. Might consider saving more money and find something that will have some lasting value within your gaming parameters.

I build computers for people so just pm me if have in depth questions.

• WarWitchWarWitch Member UncommonPosts: 351
    Also Check your local The Grid store. I found a 8mb ram 3.5 gh processor system for 200 with everything but a sound card. Its where good will sends used pcs to be sold. 

Nice. . Since I am going to be sticking (at least for a few years) with 1080 I went with the 1060 but got a 6 gig ASUS that was on sale.  It was only a bout $50 CDN more.  Will stick with the card upgrade. . then do the entire thing later and keep the 7850 for when I do that complete replacement to use in the old PC.
    Ozmodan