Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW CLASSIC News - It Will Begin with Patch 1.12, Drums of War - World of Warcraft - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageWoW CLASSIC News - It Will Begin with Patch 1.12, Drums of War - World of Warcraft - MMORPG.com

For you who have been so patiently waiting news of World of Warcraft Classic, we have it today! We now know that when Classic launches, it will start with v1.12 "Drums of War". Keep in mind that Classic is not a progression server, so 1.12 is both the start and the "finish". 

Hop through the jump to check out the original Drums of War trailer and find out where the Classic team is headed next!

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

ceratop001AxxarGaladourn

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    This ought to twitterpate your weekend, folks! <3
    [Deleted User]mcrippins[Deleted User]kitaradMrMelGibsonManWithNoTanThahar

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Oh my!  Thanks for sharing.  I enjoy how Blizzard takes time to fully explain the technical challenges and how they're progressing with it.  I gotta hand it to Blizzard: they work pretty hard to try and appease their fans, even if they don't always hit the mark.
    SBFordSovrath[Deleted User]mcrippinsPhryklash2defwandericaGaladournMrMelGibsonTintagiland 2 others.

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    edited June 2018
    The phrasing "Start with 1.12" is not accurate. It will Start and End with 1.12 is more appropriate. This is not a progression server. The content that is out at release is the content that will be available forever and you won't get more then that.
    Ashikuro
    edited June 2018
    Celcius said:
    The phrasing "Start with 1.12" is not accurate. It will Start and End with 1.12 is more appropriate. This is not a progression server. The content that is out at release is the content that will be available forever and you won't get more then that.
    It's accurate due to the fact that 1.12 is the starting point, not v1.0. So semantics, I suppose. However, I'll add that Classic is not a progression server that should suffice. :)
    [Deleted User]CelciusMrMelGibson

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Mmmmmm, can't wait to go back speccing into wand damage and stacking spirit.
    MidPrincessXingbairongAshikuroMrMelGibsonTintagilManWithNoTan
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    After spending a fair amount of time in the BfA beta I could not see going back to such an early version. Been there done that. I am glad the option is coming for those who want it though! Kudos to Blizzard for offering it. 
    Trust me, it ain't gonna be just you. WoW classic is gonna be a ghost town 3 months in.
    SBFordDiscipledOnemarganculosZenerenGhavriggdragonlee66KyleranArskaaaNephethForgrimmand 6 others.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    I think this is doomed to short term success. People are gonna go in with those rose colored glasses and when they reach end game are gonna wonder...'where's some new content.' I could be wrong obviously, but MMOs that have no 'evolution' in terms of content, get hammered.
    SBFord[Deleted User]GhavriggAalamrMrMelGibsonJeroKane

I self identify as a monkey.

• LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    I never played Vanilla so I'm going to check this out just out of curiosity. But I don't expect to stick around. I like current WoW just the way it is lol. I do think though that eventually adding new patches would be a better idea for this server. A stagnant server sounds like a boring long, term idea. Maybe not immediately but in a few months introduce smaller patches, then maybe a year later a bigger one?
    SBFordMrMelGibson
    edited June 2018
    mgilbrtsn said:
    I think this is doomed to short term success. People are gonna go in with those rose colored glasses and when they reach end game are gonna wonder...'where's some new content.' I could be wrong obviously, but MMOs that have no 'evolution' in terms of content, get hammered.
    As reluctant as I am to agree with you, I truly do. The way people consume content these days, what's inside the classic vanilla experience isn't going to be enough. People kvetch about largescale games "not having enough" content. I can't imagine what this could turn out like and how fast people will buzz through it.
    MidPrincess[Deleted User]mgilbrtsnDiscipledOneGhavriggRobsolfGdemamikitaradNephethklash2defand 2 others.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• MidPrincessMidPrincess Member UncommonPosts: 89
    SBFord said:
    mgilbrtsn said:
    As reluctant as I am to agree with you, I truly do. The way people consume content these days, what's inside the classic vanilla experience isn't going to be enough. People kvetch about largescale games "not having enough" content. I can't imagine what this could turn out like.
    I'm reluctant to agree, but I do, too.  My SO and I are excited about this since we have such fond memories, especially of our BC days.  But yeah, I doubt this will have a long lifespan.  Oh sure, there are legions of us old vets who get all misty-eyed thinking back to these days, but considering we've all grown and expect "more" now, where will that leave this?  Especially with no progression?  Don't get me wrong, I can easily see me and her giggling with glee while we played this for a month or three....but then what?
    SBFordMrMelGibson
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    SBFord said:
    mgilbrtsn said:
    As reluctant as I am to agree with you, I truly do. The way people consume content these days, what's inside the classic vanilla experience isn't going to be enough. People kvetch about largescale games "not having enough" content. I can't imagine what this could turn out like and how fast people will buzz through it.
    I don't necessarily disagree, but the progression (should?) will be much slower if it's truly classic.

No heirlooms to expedite leveling alts, either.
    [TOG]MuppetMrMelGibson

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,848
    SBFord said:
    mgilbrtsn said:
    I don't necessarily disagree, but the progression (should?) will be much slower if it's truly classic.

Yeah, it'll be slower than modern WoW or other modern MMOs but not nearly as slow as people are thinking it will.

People will start WoW Classic with the distorted memory "it took me months to get to max level during Vanilla" but in truth it will take them a couple weeks now.

People already know everything there is to know about WoW Classic. They know all of the quests, all of the dungeons and all of the classes.

There will be no "Hmm, this quest text is very cryptic, I wonder what you have to do", instead it'll turn out like "Oh, yeah, I remember this quest, I have to go here, kill these guys and then pick up this thing".

And then when people do get to max level and progress to the raids their memory will betray them again: "Oh man, this boss was so hard, it took us weeks to down him", the raid boss that had 2 mechanics to it.
    SBFordAalamrsacredcow4MrMelGibson
  • MrG8MrG8 Member UncommonPosts: 111
    WOW Cant wait ! You dont need anything else than this! *Nostalgia*
    Avanah[TOG]Muppet
  • NeonShadowNeonShadow Member UncommonPosts: 326
    There's still plenty to do in classic WoW and with the server being petrified in time this means that people can cycle through multiple alts and work on getting raid gear for them as well. There is replay value in it. If people want to move on then there's always the live servers with the current content. If this isn't sufficient for the players who want a more old school style then my guess is that Blizzard will next work on a TBC server if this proves to be profitable enough for them.
    Panserbjorne39BrunlinXingbairong[TOG]Muppetsacredcow4Cazriel
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Any news is better than no news I suppose
    SBFord[TOG]Muppet
  • Panserbjorne39Panserbjorne39 Member UncommonPosts: 142
    Great news. Looking forward to it. I've enjoyed my time in Light's Hope. Vanilla WoW is a more fulfilling experience for me and I look forward to playing on official servers.
    Steelhelm[TOG]MuppetThupliCazriel
  • 6stack_Chris6stack_Chris Member UncommonPosts: 118
    The excitement is rising!
    [TOG]Muppet
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    I can't wait to see people cry that they have to pay a sub to play it ;P
    Steelhelm[TOG]MuppetReyone1
  • SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    SBFord said:
    mgilbrtsn said:

People are still gonna be lvl 60 3 weeks in. They're going to burn through all the content because they know all the strats, there won't be any discovery. They know what they should farm, the best ways to level up, the best builds. Again, no discovery.

There's not going to be anything new. WoW classic is going to tank so fast it's not even gonna be funny. The only thing that makes me laugh is the amount of people thinking this is what they want, and when they get it there's gonna be so many tears it's gonna be glorious.
    SteelhelmGaeluian

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• wormedwormed Member UncommonPosts: 472
    ITT: Retail players clearly not understanding that the enjoyment of vanilla wasn't ripping through content, it was the social experience and the way it was an integral part of the end-game.
    [Deleted User]Caffynated[Deleted User]LorgarnAxxarNeonShadowmrputtsSteelhelm[TOG]Muppetmmolouand 2 others.
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    All that time and effort could've been spent on a sequel. I would prefer a different franchise though, such as, World of Starcraft, or perhaps a World of Diablo. Nostalgia isn't always great. You have to take the bad as well as the good.
    MendelSamhael
  • BrunlinBrunlin Member UncommonPosts: 79
    I left WOW after BC right before Wrath....I had a fried that talked me back for a month after Mist of Pandaria came out....The new modern WOW to me was watered down and to easy, so it didn't hold me at all. I figured that I am forever down with WOW, well atleast until this came up. I will be jumping in this for Nostalgia purposes, I cant promise how long I'll stay with it but it will probably keep me content for awhile.

If at first you don’t succeed, call it version 1.0

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    edited June 2018

SBFord said:

mgilbrtsn said:

The funny thing is, WoW classic was considered too fast, even back then. People were complaining how fast it was to level when compared to previous MMOs.
    MadFrenchie[Deleted User]SteelhelmAalamr
  • jrworden1976jrworden1976 Member UncommonPosts: 26
    I am looking forward to my classic Hunter, like when we had to buy ammo.
    perrin82[Deleted User]AxxarSteelhelmgrimalCazriel