Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SotA now doubling up on Telethons?

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
OK, I may be wrong on this but, are the SotA developers now having two telethons per month?  One on June 4th, one on June 8th?

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=29385

I find it absolutely fascinating that they are able to raise this kind of money on an ongoing basis by basically begging.  How much money are their whales willing to spend?  Do they have no limits?

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    As they are actually selling items during these sessions the approach appears to be more akin to Home Shopping Network.

Would be interesting to know how many played contributed to the dollar totals.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,825
    Kyleran said:
    As they are actually selling items during these sessions the approach appears to be more akin to Home Shopping Network.

Do they have a couple of gamers talking about how useful the items are and how much they have always wanted one of those though? An in game avatar showing off the new "bracelet" or whatever maybe? :)
    Scot said:
    Kyleran said:

Do they have a couple of gamers talking about how useful the items are and how much they have always wanted one of those though? An in game avatar showing off the new "bracelet" or whatever maybe? :)
    I dunno,  but I see they have contests and prizes, maybe its also like those TV game shows....

"Tell the viewers what they've won Starr....."

"Sure thing Richard, well we've reached the 'Rainbow' funding tier, so coming soon players will be able to place rainbows everywhere,  over their town, homes, ponies, or even their avatar's if they like. Such fun I'm telling you Richey..."

ScotRhomsDiabhualRnjypsytweedledumb99

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 691
    edited June 2018
    Well, for the first begathon they got 40K. So they had to do an another one and that time, they got something like 35K.  
    40K and then 35K , I would bet it's same people .

With their deadline with the collector edition  ( end of June ), they didn't had enough money with the first begathon..  I'll let you guess the reason of the other one.

They also deleted a post about doing a begathon, weekly.  Their whales was up for it but not everyone was.  Devs saw that and have deleted the post without explantions. ( of course..) 

Well its not gambling, when they get out a roulette wheel and see who's lucky number comes up, then I would complain. :)
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    Disgraceful really disgraceful.
    IselinNilden

kitarad said:
    Disgraceful really disgraceful.
    And if every Indie MMO in development out there is not doing it they soon will. That's the thing you see, anything that works to get money, be it loot boxes, gambling, telethons gets copied throughout the whole industry. It is bad, but it is where we have been since cash shops first opened.
    RhomsDiabhual
  • Aragon100Aragon100 Member RarePosts: 2,686
    edited June 2018
    OK, I may be wrong on this but, are the SotA developers now having two telethons per month?  One on June 4th, one on June 8th?

I find it absolutely fascinating that they are able to raise this kind of money on an ongoing basis by basically begging.  How much money are their whales willing to spend?  Do they have no limits?
    The globe’s richest 1% own half the world’s wealth, according to a new report highlighting the growing gap between the super-rich and everyone else.

https://www.theguardian.com/inequality/2017/nov/14/worlds-richest-wealth-credit-suisse

I guess these whales have very little limits when it comes to buying pixels. 

Games catering for the real life rich isnt a future i am looking forward too.
    Post edited by Aragon100 on
    Aragon100 said:

The globe’s richest 1% own half the world’s wealth, according to a new report highlighting the growing gap between the super-rich and everyone else.

https://www.theguardian.com/inequality/2017/nov/14/worlds-richest-wealth-credit-suisse

My guess is very few of the 1% is playing MMOs, least of all Pantheon. 

Think about it. They could to buy the studio, fire everyone, have them imprisoned or made to "disappear" and hire in a more capable team.  ;)

At the very least one could have floated Richard a $50M loan.

d_20

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Sooo , why does anyone have a problem with this...

Its the American Way .. create product, sell product.. live the dream ..

If they create something that people are willing to to pay for , why so jelly ..

Afterall noone got made at the guy for selling Image result for pet rock

• RhomsRhoms Member UncommonPosts: 174
    edited June 2018
    Scorchien said:
    Sooo , why does anyone have a problem with this...

Its the American Way .. create product, sell product.. live the dream ..

If they create something that people are willing to to pay for , why so jelly ..

Afterall noone got made at the guy for selling Image result for pet rock

I have a soft spot in my heart for pet rocks and plastic pink flamingos, but I prefer not to see them in my hobby. 

If you think about it, this is sort of like LARPing a crowdfunding campaign.  Really, there isn't much difference between the two.  Maybe I would feel better about the whole thing if it wasn't done for the purposes of supporting a mediocre-at-best product.  

Sure, these telethons might be the American Way but part of the American Way is consumers' ability  to vote with their dollar.  If customers refuse to support products and companies that engage in this behavior, that's capitalism too.
    MadFrenchied_20

Current game: Pillars of Eternity

Played: UO, AC, Eve, Fallen Earth, Aion, GW, GW2 

Tried: WOW, Rift, SWTOR, ESO 

Future: Camelot Unchained?  Crowfall?  Bless?

• alyndalealyndale Member UncommonPosts: 936

Your lovin' don' pay no bills!
    JamesGoblin

All I want is the truth
    Just gimme some truth
    John Lennon

Kyleran said:
    Aragon100 said:

Think about it. They could to buy the studio, fire everyone, have them imprisoned or made to "disappear" and hire in a more capable team.  ;)

Yeah you might be right but my point is that game developers deciding to listen more to players with better real life economy as in SotA is devastating for future gaming. SotA seem to fail in their mission of segregating players and that is very important for future gaming.

It should never be your real life economy that influence how game development proceed. It should be a majority decision from backers.
    Kyleran
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381
    Aragon100 said:
    Kyleran said:
    Aragon100 said:

Yeah you might be right but my point is that game developers deciding to listen more to players with better real life economy as in SotA is devastating for future gaming. SotA seem to fail in their mission of segregating players and that is very important for future gaming.

It should never be your real life economy that influence how game development proceed. It should be a majority decision from backers.
    What's the Henry Ford quote  --  'If I'd asked people what they wanted, they would've said 'a faster horse'. '
    esc-joconnor

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

Aragon100 said:

That does not wash, I remember when those of us who favoured subscriptions were described as  rich elitists because we condemned F2P. If that is a big enough gap for players to see others as "rich" you don't have to be a whale do you?
    Scot said:
    Aragon100 said:

That does not wash, I remember when those of us who favoured subscriptions were described as  rich elitists because we condemned F2P. If that is a big enough gap for players to see others as "rich" you don't have to be a whale do you?
    Subscriptions or not have been more of a funding model then a rich or not rich issue. Some developers dislike the RMT so much that they instead prefer subdcriptions.

Mark Jacobs (Dark Age of Camelot) is one of them. He is known for his strong position against "real money transfer", a.k.a. "gold selling"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Jacobs_(game_designer)

The issue is when developers decide to listen to the hi money pledgers instead of the majority of their community. Buying influence with your wallet is bad for future gaming.
    Scotd_20
  • MidPrincessMidPrincess Member UncommonPosts: 89
    JFC, and I thought Kickstarter was bad enough.....
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    edited June 2018
    For what it's worth, I like to believe that the developers, especially Richard Garriott, probably never wanted things to turn out this way.  They got desperate.
    [Deleted User]LeFantomed_20tweedledumb99
    Aragon100 said:
    Scot said:
    Aragon100 said:

Subscriptions or not have been more of a funding model then a rich or not rich issue. Some developers dislike the RMT so much that they instead prefer subdcriptions.

Mark Jacobs (Dark Age of Camelot) is one of them. He is known for his strong position against "real money transfer", a.k.a. "gold selling"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Jacobs_(game_designer)

The issue is when developers decide to listen to the hi money pledgers instead of the majority of their community. Buying influence with your wallet is bad for future gaming.
    There I agree, its just that in the past it is seemed anyone who did not want F2P was somehow elitist and swimming in money, your post gave me Deja vu. 
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited June 2018
    Aragon100 said:
    Kyleran said:
    Aragon100 said:

What's the Henry Ford quote  --  'If I'd asked people what they wanted, they would've said 'a faster horse'. '
    Henry Ford's consumer base wasn't inundated with cars of all kinds already, or they likely would've had a far different response if Ford had tried to sell them a jalopy...  Then sell it to them over and over and over again.
    Rnjypsy

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
     How much money are their whales willing to spend?  Do they have no limits?
    You still need to ask that in 2018? Gamers are pitched as if they're all gullible rubes because enough of them are that it makes no difference if some are repulsed by it. The money for nothing just keeps rolling in and it's a hell of a lot less work than money for something.
    MadFrenchieVorthanionNilden
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    edited June 2018
    Do not spend money on these types of games. Corruption is upon you! I wonder if the Russians are infiltrating mmorpgs? :D

• HobbitsWonTheWarHobbitsWonTheWar Member UncommonPosts: 17
    I was a kickstarter backer an quietly followed this over tha years. Wanted it to do well but even the double telethons haven't saved it. they announced today they've let major staff go, cuz the game is strugglin.

They say they promise episode 2 but they sayin they need to go back to stretch goals again. They did bad back when they first tried that too. None got funded. Looks like whole thing soon be over. Gonna fall into mount doom like gollum choking on the fingers of hobbits.

Can't link announcement because I new. Or make a post it seems. So stuck it here. Check official forums as they explain there. Don't want to see any people waste more money when it not gonna last long. Wish Id not spent my own money but I wanted to believe Lord British still has it in him. Seems not. Shame.

WellspringKylerand_20Earthgirl
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    This is the kind of thing that happens when developers pocket more of the money than they should have instead of investing it into the game as they originally promised.  Crowd funding is the devil and development companies are guzzling in the cash since they are not required by law to actually produce a product or pay back the "investors".  Free money for empty promises or at best lackluster results.

Gamers embraced Free to Play which led to Kickstarter which led to self-crowdfunding which has now led to asset auctions.  What a frakking mess.
    Aragon100Diabhual

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    I was a kickstarter backer an quietly followed this over tha years. Wanted it to do well but even the double telethons haven't saved it. they announced today they've let major staff go, cuz the game is strugglin.

They say they promise episode 2 but they sayin they need to go back to stretch goals again. They did bad back when they first tried that too. None got funded. Looks like whole thing soon be over. Gonna fall into mount doom like gollum choking on the fingers of hobbits.

Can't link announcement because I new. Or make a post it seems. So stuck it here. Check official forums as they explain there. Don't want to see any people waste more money when it not gonna last long. Wish Id not spent my own money but I wanted to believe Lord British still has it in him. Seems not. Shame.

Welcome to MMORPG.com. Thanks for the insight.

I believe this is the article you were unable to link:

Kylerand_20LeFantome
    --------------------------------------------