Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen and EVE Online players unite to call out lookalike concept ship

Turrican187Turrican187 Member UncommonPosts: 787

Star Citizen and EVE Online players unite to call out lookalike concept ship

When you have cake, it is not the cake that creates the most magnificent of experiences, but it is the emotions attached to it.
The cake is a lie.

Babuinix

Comments

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    edited June 2018
    The first commentator in that MassivelyOp article is - as can be expected - the ever faithful Smarty ! Surpriiiiise. And he calls it "crap". Surpriiiiise.

But the second poster (called: jay) already sums up everything that can be said about that article:

"It’s not like a ship with two arms sticking out of the front of it as a mining /salvage ship was CCP’s original ideal. The idea for that type of ship design has been around in Sci-Fi for longer than either one of these MMO’s existed, if you are really into sci-fi literature & film.

And other than the arms, the ships are different enough skin wise as to not even be similar. TO be fair, I’m not a Star Citizen fan boy or anything, I’m just a realist."

Numerous other posters have pointed out that anything handling standard freight containers usually ends up looking like either a forklift or a landtrain truck.

Have fun

WraithoneMellowTiggerSBFordGdemamibartoni33[Deleted User][Deleted User]Asm0deusMensur
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Pretty sure CCP is going to love all the free press this will generate and imitation is the sincerest form of flattery after all.

CobaneScotSBFordPhryAgent_Joseph

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    CIG's version is far too close the Venture used in EVE regardless of where CCP might have got their inspiration from.

Hardly new for CIG though, they're well known for being lazy, unoriginal and uninspiring with their work.
    SeelinnikoiAgent_JosephSlyLoK
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited June 2018
    On an unrelated note, DSmart posted over there and made a reference like "we Goons."

I know he's been associated with Goons since SC got rolling, but was he one prior to then?

I don't think I have seen a reference to him with regards to Goonswarm in EVE which is where I still view the "true" Goons as residing. 

Seems like he's a more recent joiner of opportunity but perhaps I just missed it.

Wraithone

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Dagon13Dagon13 Member UncommonPosts: 566
    This is dumb.  I have more free time than I know what to do with but I've somehow wasted it here.
    Kyleranbartoni33SBFordXarkovveaver_online
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Kyleran said:
    On an unrelated note, DSmart posted over there and made a reference like "we Goons."

I know he's been associated with Goons since SC got rolling, but was he one prior to then?

I don't think I have seen a reference to him with regards to Goonswarm in EVE which is where I still view the "true" Goons as residing. 

Seems like he's a more recent joiner of opportunity but perhaps I just missed it.

I believe he has been a member of the forum for quite a long time and certainly pre-SC iirc,  although technically he is not a goon anymore. He got kicked out after doxxing yet another person after being repeatedly warned it was against the rules.
    KyleranPhrySpottyGekko
  • spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367
    Kyleran said:
    Pretty sure CCP is going to love all the free press this will generate and imitation is the sincerest form of flattery after all.

If CCP is litigious, they might get more than free press. IF that really is what CIG's new ship looks like, that is awfully close to appropriating someone else's IP. It would be a stretch in my eyes, that that doesn't seem to stop half these game companies from going after one another.
    BabuinixSBFord

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    The SC version looks damn near like a reskin of the EVE ship...

edited June 2018
    There's also this..

EDIT- Mobile site issues, link:

https://i.imgur.com/TY8bW2v.gif

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited June 2018
    "oh you took it from EvE" and then they go "EvE took it from Wing Commander", internet cat fights ftw.

It has a very close silhouette, just did watch the last ATV that reveals the full concept shows to be heavily using the design of the dragonfly to do this one.

Gdemami
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    serious I don't even condone what is star citizen, but serious, picking on how ships design looks the same is kinda stupid, all ship looks a like ever since the first games and series on space
    BabuinixSBFord
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Vrika
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    edited June 2018
    Nice of CIG of giving EVE players a proper taste of space legs :D

Post edited by Babuinix on
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Maybe they rehired Ryan Archer?
    sgel
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    Kefo said:
    I dont think that guy is a concept artist, maybe you meant Ryan Church? 

Anyway in the end it's always Chris Roberts who decides what's the ship final design is so if ya'll want to get mad over it blame Chris, again lol :D  
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Lots of JCB's, cranes and so on look similar. It comes from the design conforming to utility of function. SC has a question mark over it in my eyes, as does every indie MMO, but this is just nonsense. 
    Erillionbartoni33SBFord[Deleted User]
  • DurzaxDurzax Member UncommonPosts: 87
    And just like the other fucking fake drama bullshit this is a non story by the master hypocrite himself that should not be throwing stones at all.
    https://www.engadget.com/2010/05/08/alganon-steals-press-release-format-from-bioware/
    http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100571-Derek-Smart-Caught-Up-in-Alganon-Plagiarism-Furor
    ErillionBabuinix
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Has CCP sued CIG because of it ? 

No ?

Then why should we care ?

Have fun
    SBFordBabuinixAgent_Joseph
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Babuinix said:
    Kefo said:
    I dont think that guy is a concept artist, maybe you meant Ryan Church? 

Anyway in the end it's always Chris Roberts who decides what's the ship final design is so if ya'll want to get mad over it blame Chris, again lol :D  
    I meant cause Ryan Archer is a terrible “artist” who copies other people’s work and makes small changes then tries to pass it off as his own 
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    As far as I know, in Eve , the player has no ship interiors, so to claim that any ship in Eve is like any ship in S.C. is tillyfolly .
    That concept drawing doesn't have interiors.

If we follow your logic, the concept is like EVE's ship, but it's tillifolly to to claim that the final Star Citizen ship would be like the concept image used to sell it.

In my honest opinion your logic is tillifolly.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited June 2018
    As far as I know, in Eve , the player has no ship interiors, so to claim that any ship in Eve is like any ship in S.C. is tillyfolly .
    No, if the exterior looked similar enough that is "copying" to be polite. But that did not happen here so its a moot point.

One thing though, I have by new word for the day "tillyfolly", lets say it means beyond folly. :)
    SBFord
    Scot said:
    Lots of JCB's, cranes and so on look similar. It comes from the design conforming to utility of function. SC has a question mark over it in my eyes, as does every indie MMO, but this is just nonsense. 
    That is a very thin argument.  This is a video game, not an engineering project.

Not only that, but they're designing spaceships that utilize technology that doesn't exist at all in real life.  As such, they are not really limited by the confines of "utility of function."
    Erillion

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Eve is successful...i'm sure they will copy it just like many MMOs copied WoW....
    KyleranBabuinixAgent_Joseph
  • WalkinGlennWalkinGlenn Member RarePosts: 451
    Pretty obvious ripoff. Plain amd simple. Hasn't been the first time so not suprised
    ScotchUp
    It likely wouldn't stink quite so much if SC hadn't decided to give it a name that is literally 2 letters different from EVE's "Venture."

/Facepalm
    WalkinGlennKyleran[Deleted User]Octagon7711