Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Let's talk about what Fallout 76 is, not what it isn't.

Comments

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Waldoe said:

He did say there is VATS but it just won't be able to slow down time because of the multi-player aspect. No idea what that actually looks like though. 

My guess is you pick a body part ahead of time, or their might be keys for each, and when you aim, your chance to hit and critical effect will be rolled based on that when you fire.  Or there'll be a toggle button you hit which will target the body part under your reticle.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I can see how this is off putting to fans of the other games. I think when a studio makes a turn like this it's important to clearly differentiate brand identity as to not confuse or upset their consumers.

RECLAMATION 76

(Based on the Fallout Universe)

After several games of single player immersion they come on board and leverage the brand name to throw survival OWPVP into the mix. That IS jarring. They should have first announced a decent DLC for the latest Fallout to appease their loyal base and then dropped this bomb (no pun intended) on the gaming world. It would have greased the doorway.

With all that said I'm definitely trying this, as I have managed to hold off on playing the previous titles and have no preconceived expectations. I think Bethesda will get all the things right where others have failed.
    Good for you. You, DMKano and others here understand exactly what it is, enjoy this kind of survival PVP game and are going into it with full knowledge. That's great.

IDK who's saying they shouldn't make this kind of game because they have always made a different kind. That's nonsense. Plenty of room in the FO universe for them to try all kinds of different types of games in that universe. That objection is no different than the same tired old shit people have been saying about ESO for 6 years, "Wah but they should make Skyrim co-op instead" lol. Give me a break.

What gets a bit dodgy is deliberate attempts to soft sell the PVP in FO76 hoping that single player fallout fans that want nothing to do with PVP - and there are many of those - will buy it despite it not being their type of game in the least.

RobsolfKyleran
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:

What gets a bit dodgy is deliberate attempts to soft sell the PVP in FO76 hoping that single player fallout fans that want nothing to do with PVP - and there are many of those - will buy it despite it not being their type of game in the least.

Yep... waiting for them to say, "you don't have to PVP; you can just choose not to kill other players", just 5 minutes after they talk about getting the nuke parts to mushroom player strongholds...
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited June 2018
    Iselin said:
    I can see how this is off putting to fans of the other games. I think when a studio makes a turn like this it's important to clearly differentiate brand identity as to not confuse or upset their consumers.

RECLAMATION 76

(Based on the Fallout Universe)

After several games of single player immersion they come on board and leverage the brand name to throw survival OWPVP into the mix. That IS jarring. They should have first announced a decent DLC for the latest Fallout to appease their loyal base and then dropped this bomb (no pun intended) on the gaming world. It would have greased the doorway.

With all that said I'm definitely trying this, as I have managed to hold off on playing the previous titles and have no preconceived expectations. I think Bethesda will get all the things right where others have failed.
    Good for you. You, DMKano and others here understand exactly what it is, enjoy this kind of survival PVP game and are going into it with full knowledge. That's great.

IDK who's saying they shouldn't make this kind of game because they have always made a different kind. That's nonsense. Plenty of room in the FO universe for them to try all kinds of different types of games in that universe. That objection is no different than the same tired old shit people have been saying about ESO for 6 years, "Wah but they should make Skyrim co-op instead" lol. Give me a break.

You can't really blame people. It's called training. You can't train and socially engineer your consumer base in one direction then hit a hard direction turn and not expect it to be disruptive for them.

It's clear as day Fallout 76 was influenced by the success of Fortnite. I truly do have empathy for folks who feel a way. I never had any desire to play survival games even back when DayZ was the thing. I just think Bethesda is polished enough to make it work and it fits the games perceived narrative.

Yet, imagine Bioware/EA announcing Mass Effect "Explorers" and just OWPVP'ing the entire IP out of nowhere. It wouldn't be pleasant and developers/publishers have to be aware of this. They have to be careful when leveraging IP popularity for new ideas.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • WaldoeWaldoe Member UncommonPosts: 642
    edited June 2018
    Let me try a list of what it is without using the word no or any variation of it.

-Online persistent world that is 4x bigger than Fallout 4 (Howard: Bethesda Conference)
    -Main story and exploration based questing similar to Fallout 4 (Howard: Bethesda Conference)
                 -Main story will take you through all 6 zones (Howard: Bethesda Conference)
                 -Instead of running into a pack of raiders while questing it could be other players (Todd Howard Post Conference Interview)
    -Appears to be same graphics engine but updates to rendering, lighting and landscapes to allow for 16x more detail (Howard: Bethesda Conference)
    -Dozens of players per instance of the world (Howard: Bethesda Conference)
    -You can play solo but it is always online so you will see other players (Howard: Bethesda Conference)
    -You can level up your character (Howard: Bethesda Conference)
    -You can build player housing/bases wherever you want and move it (Howard: Bethesda Conference)
    -Multiple nuclear sites on the map (Howard: Bethesda Conference)
                 -Acquiring launch codes easier as group (Bethesda Conference)
                 -Sites that were nuked can be looted and explored but are dangerous (Bethesda Conference)
    -Dedicated server platform (Howard: Bethesda Conference)
    -Every human character is a real person but there are still robots, terminals and holotapes etc. (Todd Howard Post Conference Interview)
    -VATS will be included and is real-time instead of time slowing due to the multiplayer aspect of the game (Todd Howard Post Conference Interview)
    -Game as a service that will have an endgame and updates throughout (Todd Howard Post Conference Interview)
    -100% committed to mods after launch (Todd Howard Post Conference Interview)

PVP being optional is still unclear so it can't be added to the list. In a post conference interview he mentions that there is a way to decide if you want to do PVP but does not go as far to say that you can avoid it completely. However, he mentions that there is a focus on making sure there is adequate balance and limiting the feeling of being "griefy".

Full loot upon death is also an unknown. Howard's use of the term softcore survival may offer a hint but it is unclear. As mentioned above, he confirms that progress will not be lost upon death but no mention of loot. 

What did I miss?
    Fearumbartoni33
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    DMKano said:
    Its an always online Fallout 4 PvP focused mod featuring a couple of dozen players and a whole new map that is 4x bigger than Fallout 4. The combat is real time so there is no VATS - no slow/pause mode like in other single player games.

The focus is PvP so the game doesnt have NPCs.

I think that sums it up.

I personally love all of this as its a multiplayer online game (mini-mmo?) and I only tolerate NPCs in single player games, since this has no single player - they ditched the NPCs as well and thats awesome IMO, exactly what I've been preaching for years.

At least this matches up exactly with my idea of how much questing and NPCs suck in a multiplayer environment - yeah lets put this guy over here and have him spit out the same line of text forever - to any player that ever talks to him - just have him say the same shit for all eternity.  Yeah great design.

So happy they did away with that crap.

Also I welcome the PvP focus.

Having said all this without actual first hand experience I dont know how fun the gameplay will be - in theory it sounds awesome to me, and I sure dont mind the griefing aspect, but need a ton more info before I can say - thumbs up or thumbs down.

As long as we are not forced to gather food and water for hours like in othet typical survival games like picking bush berries and shit.... yeah please no

Mini-mmo?  You mean just regular ole multiplayer?

Mini-mmo is redundant.

EDIT- it's become hilariously sad how badly folks want to avoid using the plain term "multiplayer" to describe, well, plain multiplayer.
    Multiplayer Online Game, so simple,  so elegant, but people won't use MOG.

Probably because it rhymes with BOG or something.

CORPG is another great choice though in this title Cooperative likely will mean gank squads cooperatively slaughtering everyone else.

;)

Asheram

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Kyleran said:
    DMKano said:
    Its an always online Fallout 4 PvP focused mod featuring a couple of dozen players and a whole new map that is 4x bigger than Fallout 4. The combat is real time so there is no VATS - no slow/pause mode like in other single player games.

I think that sums it up.

I personally love all of this as its a multiplayer online game (mini-mmo?) and I only tolerate NPCs in single player games, since this has no single player - they ditched the NPCs as well and thats awesome IMO, exactly what I've been preaching for years.

At least this matches up exactly with my idea of how much questing and NPCs suck in a multiplayer environment - yeah lets put this guy over here and have him spit out the same line of text forever - to any player that ever talks to him - just have him say the same shit for all eternity.  Yeah great design.

Having said all this without actual first hand experience I dont know how fun the gameplay will be - in theory it sounds awesome to me, and I sure dont mind the griefing aspect, but need a ton more info before I can say - thumbs up or thumbs down.

As long as we are not forced to gather food and water for hours like in othet typical survival games like picking bush berries and shit.... yeah please no

Mini-mmo is redundant.

EDIT- it's become hilariously sad how badly folks want to avoid using the plain term "multiplayer" to describe, well, plain multiplayer.

CORPG is another great choice though in this title Cooperative likely will mean gank squads cooperatively slaughtering everyone else.

;)

Welcome to MOGLOG.com
    Robsolf
    I still do not quite get the point of the game I guess. 
    So you can build a base and defend it from others. For what? What purpose will the base serve? Why would another group want to destroy it? 
    Well now, gankers usually don't need additional motivation outside of being able to spoil someone else's  day.

But for the rest of us, yes, why would I build a base only to have it destroyed while I'm offline.

As an attacker, besides LULZ and tears, why attack anyone?

Do I level, loot them, get placed on the ganker leader board?

Need some motivation behind the conflict,  such as access to resources at least.

Though quite honestly, most PVPers like to fight just for the heck of it.

Case in point, in EVE no one needs to fight in null sec, there's more than enough resources to go around for everyone.

Yet fight we do, in my case by necessity rather than desire but I guess its just what gamers do.
    Robsolf

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Waldoe said:
    Let me try a list of what it is without using the word no or any variation of it.

-Online persistent world that is 4x bigger than Fallout 4 (Howard: Bethesda Conference)
    -Main story and exploration based questing similar to Fallout 4 (Howard: Bethesda Conference)
                 -Main story will take you through all 6 zones (Howard: Bethesda Conference)
                 -Instead of running into a pack of raiders while questing it could be other players (Todd Howard Post Conference Interview)
    -Appears to be same graphics engine but updates to rendering, lighting and landscapes to allow for 16x more detail (Howard: Bethesda Conference)
    -Dozens of players per instance of the world (Howard: Bethesda Conference)
    -You can play solo but it is always online so you will see other players (Howard: Bethesda Conference)
    -You can level up your character (Howard: Bethesda Conference)
    -You can build player housing/bases wherever you want and move it (Howard: Bethesda Conference)
    -Multiple nuclear sites on the map (Howard: Bethesda Conference)
                 -Acquiring launch codes easier as group (Bethesda Conference)
                 -Sites that were nuked can be looted and explored but are dangerous (Bethesda Conference)
    -Dedicated server platform (Howard: Bethesda Conference)
    -Every human character is a real person but there are still robots, terminals and holotapes etc. (Todd Howard Post Conference Interview)
    -VATS will be included and is real-time instead of time slowing due to the multiplayer aspect of the game (Todd Howard Post Conference Interview)
    -Game as a service that will have an endgame and updates throughout (Todd Howard Post Conference Interview)
    -100% committed to mods after launch (Todd Howard Post Conference Interview)

PVP being optional is still unclear so it can't be added to the list. In a post conference interview he mentions that there is a way to decide if you want to do PVP but does not go as far to say that you can avoid it completely. However, he mentions that there is a focus on making sure there is adequate balance and limiting the feeling of being "griefy".

Full loot upon death is also an unknown. Howard's use of the term softcore survival may offer a hint but it is unclear. As mentioned above, he confirms that progress will not be lost upon death but no mention of loot. 

What did I miss?
    From the post conference interview Howard mentioned:

1) will support player mods someday in the future, perhaps on private player instances also in the future. 

2) they are committed to providing additional content in the future and interacting with the playerbase. (Translation, Gaming as a Service)

3) Any raiders you see in this game are absolutely other human players, and no, you can't avoid them.(you can ignore them, but at what cost?)

4) while not clearly stated it appears they plan to try and use incentives to encourage player participation in PVP or disincentives to try and limit griefing. Doesn't appear totally opting out with special ruleset or  private servers will be an option, at least not at launch.

edited June 2018
    Here's the part that disappoints me most:

• There are no human NPCs and no NPC factions The point is to have the other humans be the other real players in your instance.
    • There are some robotic quest givers
    • Quests will be mostly of the "found in the game while exploring" variety but the game is not quest-based He said it is very much like Fallout 4 in regards to quests. He also says that there is a main quest line as well. 
     Anyone who has played FO games, and in particular NV and 4 knows one of their charms is the NPC factions and their backstories.

Sure, sometimes they ask you to fetch something, but not often and when they do there is often an adventure involved.

Take last night, I'm level 7 and decide to get the robot farmers at Greygarden aligned with me.  (Great source Mutfruit at start of game)

They ask me to investigate a nearby water plant to see why its tainted with radioactivity.

Quick jaunt there with my trusty dog reveals several problems, radioactive canisters in standing water and a bunch of super mutants. 

At my level and skills I am way south of where I should be so it took quite a bit of time and effort to clear the mutants including superior sniping, lots of running and an often dead dog. ;)

So, finally enter water plant to find it flooded. So after finding out how to drain it and get started finding and activating the pumps, I get attacked by Mirelurks, giant crabs with more armor than a tank.

I manage to get through it all but not before seriously wondering if I was going to have any ammo left. Also whether that dog is going to stick with me after letting him die so much while I fled to safety behind a locked door.)

;)

Back topside all the standing water is gone and the robots gleefully permit me access to their facilities.

Which I promptly loot or salvage most everything not nailed down and wait till they see trade route I've set up, soon a radio beacon and a horde of humans to help tend my mutfruit fields. (The start of an economic dynasty)   B)

Almost none of this will be happening in FO76 and that makes me a sad vault dweller. 

[Deleted User]IselinRobsolfAsherambartoni33

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Kyleran said:

"So, finally enter water plant to find it flooded. So after finding out how to drain it and get started finding and activating the pumps, I get attacked by..."

You have been killled by xxx_fritobandito_xxx.  Would you like to respawn here (100g) or at your last saved spot?
    Octagon7711MidPrincessRobsolfKyleranAsheram[Deleted User]4507
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited June 2018
    Kyleran said:

• There are no human NPCs and no NPC factions The point is to have the other humans be the other real players in your instance.
    • Quests will be mostly of the "found in the game while exploring" variety but the game is not quest-based He said it is very much like Fallout 4 in regards to quests. He also says that there is a main quest line as well. 
     Anyone who has played FO games, and in particular NV and 4 knows one of their charms is the NPC factions and their backstories.

Sure, sometimes they ask you to fetch something, but not often and when they do there is often an adventure involved.

Take last night, I'm level 7 and decide to get the robot farmers at Greygarden aligned with me.  (Great source Mutfruit at start of game)

They ask me to investigate a nearby water plant to see why its tainted with radioactivity.

Quick jaunt there with my trusty dog reveals several problems, radioactive canisters in standing water and a bunch of super mutants. 

At my level and skills I am way south of where I should be so it took quite a bit of time and effort to clear the mutants including superior sniping, lots of running and an often dead dog. ;)

So, finally enter water plant to find it flooded. So after finding out how to drain it and get started finding and activating the pumps, I get attacked by Mirelurks, giant crabs with more armor than a tank.

I manage to get through it all but not before seriously wondering if I was going to have any ammo left. Also whether that dog is going to stick with me after letting him die so much while I fled to safety behind a locked door.)

;)

Back topside all the standing water is gone and the robots gleefully permit me access to their facilities.

Which I promptly loot or salvage most everything not nailed down and wait till they see trade route I've set up, soon a radio beacon and a horde of humans to help tend my mutfruit fields. (The start of an economic dynasty)   B)

Almost none of this will be happening in FO76 and that makes me a sad vault dweller. 

At the risk of sounding like a hater, FO76 strikes me as an easy conversion of their existing title geared towards a quick injection of cash while the studio works on their other titles, all scheduled to be released much further down the line.

EDIT- to that end, if it helps the studio buy more time to develop the other titles and ensure high quality work, I won't knock them for it.

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    edited June 2018
    Here's a 40 minute documentary by noclip about the development of FO76

May answer some questions some have.

I can't wait to give this game a whirl.

[Deleted User]

• MidPrincessMidPrincess Member UncommonPosts: 89
    Iselin said:
    Kyleran said:

"So, finally enter water plant to find it flooded. So after finding out how to drain it and get started finding and activating the pumps, I get attacked by..."

You have been killled by xxx_fritobandito_xxx.  Would you like to respawn here (100g) or at your last saved spot?
    I'm quite certain this sort of thing will comprise most of the "gameplay" for 76.  I'm sorry, but give gamers a chance to grief/troll/gank and they will take it. Every time.

Hey maybe they'll have a cash shop that sells items which will keep the griefers from killing you!  That's the "new wave" of MMO monetization, right?  With as bad as 76 seems already, may as well add that on too lmaoooooo
    Kyleranbartoni33Robsolf4507
    Iselin said:
    Kyleran said:

With my luck the Bandito and his friends will have taken the place of the super mutants.

Or more likely,  hit Greygarden with a nuke just as I'm about to turn in the quest.

:# 
    IselinRobsolf

Asheram said:
    Kyleran said:

;)

Welcome to MOGLOG.com
    That may already be taken by a murloc fan club.
    MadFrenchieKyleran[Deleted User]
  • cesmode8cesmode8 Member UncommonPosts: 431
    Does this sound a bit like Ark: Survival?  
  • KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    edited June 2018
    If they showed proper gameplay, it would be much more effective than giving all these vague hints about the game.
    edited June 2018
    Kyleran said:

;)

At the risk of sounding like a hater, FO76 strikes me as an easy conversion of their existing title geared towards a quick injection of cash while the studio works on their other titles, all scheduled to be released much further down the line.

EDIT- to that end, if it helps the studio buy more time to develop the other titles and ensure high quality work, I won't knock them for it.
    The possible trap there though is if they can just keep flipping their old game assets and making money in a continual fashion, then why bother shooting for the moon and attempting to develop anything new or high quality.
    True enough.  If those with the power to dictate a course see FO76 as the same money for less work, I wouldn't put it past anybody these days to drastically change the course of their future titles.
    [Deleted User]

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    DMKano said:

I think that sums it up.

Mini-mmo is redundant.

You want to talk about what it is? It's multiplayer. Maybe now people will start getting it right.

Dozens not hundreds or thousands...

Seriously how hard is it to identify regular ole multiplayer.
    mmolouKyleranMadFrenchie

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• TacticalZombehTacticalZombeh Member UncommonPosts: 430
    edited June 2018
    Pete Hines talks a little about the multiplayer aspect, how players interact, etc. At least it's their vision of it. How it turns out remains to be seen.

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Its funny but all this 76 talk got me to reinstall my GOY edition of Fallout 3. And i guess there was an update to make it run better on Windows 10. And i found all my old mods too. I will be playing this instead of 76. I haven't loaded up Fallout 3 in years and its a blast.
    KyleranAlBQuirky
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    edited June 2018
    Seems like something my son would like.  Might try it myself.  
  • Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292
    edited June 2018
    Iselin said:
    Thanks to @AIBQuirky for finding and posting the video below in another thread.

This is what we really know so far about FO76 so far:
    • It has PVP on always - even when you "solo" - so it's no different than most other survival games in that respect.
    • No idea what happens to your items when you die but it sounds like 100% full loot from anything I've read or seen.
    I would challenge these two statements.

1. There are some comments about PVP being more like dueling, and that it can be ignored if desired. This implies some element of consent.
    2. The PvP shown (and comments made) indicate that there is some benefit from PvP (footage shows caps gained) but no indication of any loss.

It is very likely that Players will be able to avoid PvP if desired, and that even if they do engage, that they will not lose anything. There were also comments made about how they want to make engaging in PvP desirable to players.

P.S. In my personal opinion, FO76 is NOT a PVP oriented game, it seems more like a coop PVE oriented game.
    [Deleted User]
    edited June 2018
    Iselin said:
    Thanks to @AIBQuirky for finding and posting the video below in another thread.

This is what we really know so far about FO76 so far:
    • It has PVP on always - even when you "solo" - so it's no different than most other survival games in that respect.
    • No idea what happens to your items when you die but it sounds like 100% full loot from anything I've read or seen.
    I would challenge these two statements.

1. There are some comments about PVP being more like dueling, and that it can be ignored if desired. This implies some element of consent.
    2. The PvP shown (and comments made) indicate that there is some benefit from PvP (footage shows caps gained) but no indication of any loss.

It is very likely that Players will be able to avoid PvP if desired, and that even if they do engage, that they will not lose anything. There were also comments made about how they want to make engaging in PvP desirable to players.

P.S. In my personal opinion, FO76 is NOT a PVP oriented game, it seems more like a coop PVE oriented game.
    Then how do you explain the dev response @Iselin quoted earlier in the thread?

Quoted here: Interviewer:  "So you can pick and say I don't want PVP?"
    TH: "Wellllll... we want a little bit of drama there."
    Robsolf