Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jurassic World Evolution Review - Not So MMO - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageJurassic World Evolution Review - Not So MMO - MMORPG.com

Let's be honest, the majority of people have at least seen the first Jurassic Park and thought, I could do better. Dinosaurs for a lot of us were quite a big thing when we were younger and Jurassic Park helped to take us one step closer to our dinosaur filled dreams. Jurassic World Evolution seeks to give you that chance to live out your dreams of being the person behind the scenes making all the important decisions that will make your park a great success or chaos personified.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Game looks fun but its definitely a summer or winter sale type purchase for me.
    Octagon7711Panther2103ScottJeslisZoeMcCloskeyjason523mklinicbrian-l2
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• slowz2secretslowz2secret Member RarePosts: 407
    Looks nice ill check it out some gameplay before buy.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    It looks like a fun game, but I can never get into Simulation games. I'll probably try it later on, but I had some fun watching streamers play it and doing fun things with their parks.
  • TacticalZombehTacticalZombeh Member UncommonPosts: 430
    I've got the game, it's super addictive. I'll definitely get a full price worth out of it... but not everyone might. If Frontier works on it like they have Planet Coaster, then they'll keep adding on, working on bugs and gameplay.

I'd seen some early negative reviews talking about how a time aspect resembled mobile games and I don't think those people get the concept of the game.... at all. The things that take time are incubating dinos and doing research. And they don't take much time at all, especially in the 30sec to 2 min(?) it takes, you're worried about treating sick dinos... or tranquilizing those arsehole raptors who've managed to escape.. again. ;p Or repairing storm damage, building, expanding, ordering feeding pen restocking, etc.

Another critique I saw was it looked like a mobile game. Not so much, it has bigger buttons when appropriate, that's about it.

Part of the whole mobile criticism (I still don't get where that came from) were people complaining how they felt they couldn't progress with all the time constraints, or it felt like MT were once there then removed. I played for two hours, finished just about everything I could on the first island with a 4.5 star rating and the second island unlocked (3 stars) and the sandbox gameplay isle unlocked (4 stars).

If anything, hardcore tycoon style players may find it (at least initially) very easy. I'm not sure about later gameplay, gotta get there first.

There are some oddities about it.. No speed time advance mechanism, when you select a building the view focuses on it (the only really annoying thing I've found), not much in the way of fluff and decorations.

Though the animations are limited, the dinos do socialize a little. You'll especially see that with the pack/herd types. The humans seem to be just for decoration to liven up the park (and be alternate food source for escaped meatasaurases).

So, you're mileage may vary, but it is a good game. Those first bad reviews seem a little... agenda driven. Not sure why.
    Panther2103JeffSpicoliLiljnaSamhaelCazriel
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• ScottJeslisScottJeslis Member UncommonPosts: 355

Part of the whole mobile criticism (I still don't get where that came from)...

Probably from the Jurassic World: The Game that's been out on mobile for a month or so... it's a challenger to Pokemon Go but you catch dinosaurs in the real world versus Pokemon. My adult children and 6-year old grandson seem to enjoy both games. Ironically, the Jurassic Park/World movies are too scary for my 6-yr old grandson :-)
    maskedweasel
    Ah that's where the mobile bits were mentioned. Not really focused on however. I can see the reviewer's reasoning from the hardcore management players' standpoint. It is a pretty 'light' sim as far as micromanagement goes.
  • 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    Hopefully there will be an expansion - or two. Game seems to be rushed (cut or simplified) a bit to match new Jurassic Park movie release.

Thank you for your time!

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    Game looks fun. It's on the wishlist.
    --------------------------------------------
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Part of the whole mobile criticism (I still don't get where that came from)
    I think the mobile criticism comes from a lot of busywork. PC sim players are more accustomed to gameplay where they make decisions, then watch how they play out, fine-tune and expand. Jurassic World Evolution is light on that kind of simulation, and instead offers chores that you repeat to keep your park running, a lot like mobile sim games often have you doing chores to manage whatever you're building.

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    edited June 2018
    In my oppinion it looks rather boring and doesn't offer a lot of content. Definitely not worth 50 Euros. At least not for me.
    knightfall98
  • MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    I'd like to try it I'm just not sure it's worth so much money.
    I'd say if you're on the fence, wait for a few content/gameplay patchs. I'd classify it more a 'fun' sim. It's not as deep as even Planet Coaster or Cities: Skylines. Wait for more, or a sale.
  • knightfall98knightfall98 Member UncommonPosts: 64
    I didnt want a Jurassic park game were I am running the dinosaur park, I wanted a Jurassic park were i'm in the park running from dinosaurs
  • TheOctagonTheOctagon Member UncommonPosts: 411
    My biggest quirk with the game is the UI. It's a bit clunky to use. When I get a warning that an dinosaur has escaped and eating the guests, It's frustrating to have to scroll through the whole park to find it. Especially in the later stages when your all spread out. That's when it gets fast paced.

Storms roll in, your power plants are sabotaged, T-Rex has been DNA mutated to hell, is AAF and is constantly busting lose.

All the icons pop up but its scroll, scroll, scroll around to find everything.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I can make dinos and also shoot dinos. That works.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Maybe they will do a cross-over.  I'm not big on the various Tycoon type games, but I'm sure I'd be in for a Monster Island Tycoon.  What can I say?  It's a weakness.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    From just a twitch stream that I watched for a bit, the game seemed like some form of strategy with base building elements. I don't see how people would consider it an mmo.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I tried watching on Twitch and was getting fidgetty and bored,falling asleep .IDK could have been the lousy streamers i watched but i lost interest in watching real quick.
    There are no complete games anymore,everything looks rushed in the gaming industry,very little hands on passion in game design and is frustrating to watch one after another look the same.
    If a site like IGN gives it a 4/10 then it is truly much worse as that site is similar to Gamespace and mmorpg in giving away TOO high of scores.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.