Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Items, what are they for ?

I just found this game yesterday been really liking what I have read and seen. Have I understood it right that items in this game wont have any effect on your fighting ? If so what exactly is the meaning of items in this game which it still has ? Anyway im not really against this just trying to understand what this game is gonna be like.

Comments

• lChaosllChaosl Member Posts: 40
    Items are so you can look cool.
  • WesternWolfWesternWolf Member Posts: 2

Originally posted by lChaosl

Actually unless I'm completly mistaken, in TCoS that's completely wrong.  They were are trying to eliminate a game where you need items to look cool.  You can look however you want from the very beginning.  There are potions and things to help in combat, and I think you can customize your weapons or armor to give some sort of combat benefit?  But I'm not 100% sure about the customization.
  • RapkannibaleRapkannibale Member UncommonPosts: 6
    Yes, you are going to be able to look as you want, but items will still have a function. There will be slots on your weapons, armor and possibly even jewelery that you will be able to put some kind of enhancements ( I am not totally sure what they are going to be called). If I rememember correctly you might find these as random loot, get them as part of a quest reward or get a recipe for one, gater the materials and then bring them to an npc crafter to get you renhancement. So even though weapons and armor wont have stats as such, you are going to be able to put enhancements on them to make them unique and give you advantages in combat. 

• Originally posted by WesternWolf

Originally posted by lChaosl
    Actually unless I'm completly mistaken, in TCoS that's completely wrong.  They were are trying to eliminate a game where you need items to look cool.  You can look however you want from the very beginning.  There are potions and things to help in combat, and I think you can customize your weapons or armor to give some sort of combat benefit?  But I'm not 100% sure about the customization.

There's nothing new here.

There are other games in production here on this forum that stated this exact same thing months and months ago.

This game is just playing catch up. And from what I've seen and read so far, it's still sub-par to those others.

Out of respect, I will not list those other games.

• AphexAphex Member Posts: 194

There are other games in production here on this forum that stated this exact same thing months and months ago.
    This game is just playing catch up. And from what I've seen and read so far, it's still sub-par to those others.

I think that when this game was announced, a year ago, they already stated this as one of the important features of the game. Also, this game seems to be a lot further into production then most of the other games and has some pretty good other ideas as well.

By the way, that last sentence makes this post sound like you're just trolling.

• Originally posted by Aphex

I think that when this game was announced, a year ago, they already stated this as one of the important features of the game. Also, this game seems to be a lot further into production then most of the other games and has some pretty good other ideas as well.

By the way, that last sentence makes this post sound like you're just trolling.

Hrm, so you are saying that if I spammed the name of other games on this forum, I wouldn't be a troll? That's an interesting concept.

And backwards.

Production of this game would have been eased (and fast) since it purchased the engine. The character models show this too. They are a couple steps above WoW.  Just click on other games here on mmorpg.com and see for yourself. Others are blowing them away on detail.

I'm not saying that some parts of the game aren't interesting either. But the Items and character stuff isn't. It's a rip off of other games and not original in any way shape or form.

I'm also not stating that I won't try the game. None of the above matters if the gameplay itself sucks. (Vanguard, DDO, DnL). But even if it does copy chunks of original thought from other games, if the gameplay itself is fun, I'll play it.

Just know the facts and read up elsewhere and you'de see what I was talking about. They are just playing catch up when it comes to items and characters. And they "still" don't compete.

And, posting what you did makes you sound like FanBoi. But then again, every game has them. So I don't hold you at fault.

It's the nature of this industry.

Ah sorry, didn't understand what you meant. I thought that you meant that this game wasn't even worth it to have the other games names posted it on the forums (like you meant that it is this bad). I really need to get some sleep I guess 

Still, I like the look of characters in the game. For example, there is a shot with a barbarian style character in it which I really love. It just oozes atmosphere. Imo art direction and good animation are more important then detail. I've taken a look at shots of Hero's Journey before, and although a lot of the environments are great, I don't like the look of the characters in it. Its probably because they look rather generic.

But ofcourse, too each his own.

Ah sorry, didn't understand what you meant. I thought that you meant that this game wasn't even worth it to have the other games names posted it on the forums (like you meant that it is this bad). I really need to get some sleep I guess 
    Still, I like the look of characters in the game. For example, there is a shot with a barbarian style character in it which I really love. It just oozes atmosphere. Imo art direction and good animation are more important then detail. I've taken a look at shots of Hero's Journey before, and although a lot of the environments are great, I don't like the look of the characters in it. Its probably because they look rather generic.
    But ofcourse, too each his own.

I'll agree on one thing, the HJ screenies of women... all have the same face almost. And the cheeks are too puffy. But from reading and seeing other aspects about it, I think that's the fault of the person taking the screenshots thinking a woman needs a puffy face.

From detals posted about their characetr customization from last years e3, apparently, there's control over that... LOTS of control. Someone just didn't use it much. Rumors are it rivals the facegen on Oblivion. Time will tell.

Recent screenshots have shown a change though, so I honestly can't wait for more info on that game AND this game to come from e3. And that's in... less than two weeks.

Well, the problem really isn't the faces but more the equipment. Take a look at the latest exclusive screen for example. The character in the art work looks nice, but in-game all the equipment looks completely different and very bland.

The face customization in Hero's Journey does sound nice, but like the tcos devs have said: You only see the details of the face when you're close to it. Most of the time its the armor that stands out, and thats why they decided to put the attention to the armor design instead of the faces (which, too be honest, do seem to be limited in options).

Well, the problem really isn't the faces but more the equipment. Take a look at the latest exclusive screen for example. The character in the art work looks nice, but in-game all the equipment looks completely different and very bland.
    The face customization in Hero's Journey does sound nice, but like the tcos devs have said: You only see the details of the face when you're close to it. Most of the time its the armor that stands out, and thats why they decided to put the attention to the armor design instead of the faces (which, too be honest, do seem to be limited in options).

I think this comes back to the recent change I just mentioned. Let me find examples...

Before... http://images.mmorpg.com/images/screenshots/112005/5044.jpg

After... http://images.mmorpg.com/images/screenshots/042006/6676.jpg

Something has changed, and for the better it appears with HJ.

As for TCoS, comparing early screenshots and recent ones, nothing has changed and they still feel "fake" But...

And I repeat.. BUT...

They might be holding back. So once e3 hits, we'll know more for sure.

And TCoS crew... 1 word... Speedtree (tm)

http://images.mmorpg.com/images/screenshots/032006/6263.jpg

Well, I actually don't like the equipment in that after shot at all. But then again, thats all a matter of preference ofcourse.

I do wonder whats up with that pic of TCOS myself as well btw. Its by far the ugliest I've seen and I hope that it doesn't represent the final look of the game. The environments in the latest trailer look great though, and there are other pics with decent looking forests, like this one: http://images.mmorpg.com/images/screenshots/042006/6559.jpg

• DMMDPDMMDP Member Posts: 15

Items and Weaponry themselves are 100% for the looks. It's the slot-spheres on them which give them stats, and I guess just like in every other game there'll be bad and ub0r, soloable and raidable spheres.

So yes, it'll likely have the usual "ub0r" items, and the item-treadmill. OTOH, at least you aren't stuck with a bad looking but powerful item, you choose the looks yourself :P

"I never said: Thou shalt not think!" --god

• BlackLightBlackLight Member UncommonPosts: 48

Lucky for me I learned to play online games in 2d before playing any 3d ones. I learned how not to judge the game by its looks but by the gameplay and how much fun you have. Sure graphics are nice but its all in the mind.

Its like looking at girls for me, sure some may look nice, but they are also can be a real pain in the ass. I'd rather go out with someone who looks ok and have a really good time than feeling sad and bored about my bad choice.

-faith chooses no man

• OculitusOculitus Member Posts: 203
    Basically, no item will have any stats when it drop or is crafted.  This goes everything, weapons, armor, and trinkets.  However, the items can be modified with Tokens.  Each kind of items has a certain number of Token slots.  All the stat bonuses/special abilities and what not will come from Tokens.  The idea is to remove the classic RPG problem of using some goofy looking item just because it's too powerful to pass up. 

Also, it looks like there will be a fair amount of comsumable items.  For instance each class needs "skill ammo" specific to that class in order to activate certain abilities.
  • ExplodingmeExplodingme Member Posts: 25
    It looks like it's gonna be great. What put me off WoW in the higher levels was the need to get the best gear to play, and the required 3-5 hours it took of mindless grinding to get those items.

It's got a revolutionary design, and some of the best graphics (IMO of course) out there - in an interesting way. A lot of other new games are struggling to catch up with TCoS, but from what I've seen and read so far, none come close to matching the originality, specifically in the items and character department.

A few games will probably try to rip TCoS off too, that's just the way things go. TCoS came up with a lot of good ideas and other developers will try to duplicate them. I guess it's not really ripping it off, it's just the evolution of mmorpgs.