Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Intel, tilting at windmills again.

13»

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Comparing streaming a game to rendering it locally is like comparing two CPUs or GPUs or whatever when one is four full process nodes ahead of the other.  Maybe the four process nodes behind product can eventually reach any level of performance or efficiency or whatever, but it has absolutely no hope of ever being competitive.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    I can’t wait for Steam In Home streaming to come to iOS (if it ever does).

That may be only local WiFi now - but I am certain my phone won’t have the same rendering power as my PC any time soon. But my phone is a hell of a lot easier to dork around with while I’m just laying in bed.

There are already VPN work around a for folks who have robust enough ISPs.

So it’s definitely not that far off.

PS4 has been doing it since release (PSNow), and both XB and PS4 supports streaming your console content to a local PC over a local network.

Once upon a time people thought Apple was crazy for plunking a huge investment into Akamai, a content delivery network (CDN). Then iTunes rolled around and it started to make sense.

I don’t see how a similar strategy wouldn’t also work for game streaming. A CDN service connects you to the least latency service, and it’s the job of the CDN to seed data centers in geographically strategic areas specifically to reduce latency.

Can it work? Absolutely. Will it beat out local gaming? That depends on what your metric is. Not ever having to buy new hardware ever again sure would be awfully nice....
    [Deleted User]