Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My Most Wanted Features - Elder Scrolls Online Columns

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageMy Most Wanted Features - Elder Scrolls Online Columns

I’ve made no secrets that my favorite MMORPG these days is Elder Scrolls Online. Each content update seems to make the game better, there’s more stuff to do than just about every other game on the market, but that doesn’t mean there’s not room for more. Today’s list is all about my top five most wanted features for Elder Scrolls Online.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• MatimusmaximusMatimusmaximus Member UncommonPosts: 26
    How about a better draw distance?
    Teala
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited June 2018
    Proper auction house is my number 1. If they added it, I'd be playing again.

You can get better draw distance and fog removal with a mod.
    black_isleOctagon7711Tealamaksula234GolelornMauerickRain_DeathravenOzmodanretiredmjblamo2000
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    New weapons.  Having no alternatives to the roles is boring as hell. 

Case in point: 2 Handed weapons are used for buffs only because they are worthless for DPS and Tanking. 
    black_isleHluillTeala
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

This is probably my only real complaint about the game, the auctionhouse system is just lame. Having to join an active trading guild, and hope they have enough of the items you need at an okay price is just annoying.
    Rain_Deathravenretiredmjblamo2000
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

This is probably my only real complaint about the game, the auctionhouse system is just lame. Having to join an active trading guild, and hope they have enough of the items you need at an okay price is just annoying.
    You don't join trading guilds because of the items you need to buy. You join them for the location of their store and the 30 slots for items you want to sell.

Buying is all about travelling all over the bloody place to find what you want at a reasonable price... which is much harder to do these days with add-ons like TTC that let anyone who wants to buy low and sell high know exactly where those deals are.

Some do just that and they can manipulate the market almost as easily as if there were a real Auction House. The "prevent market manipulation" rationale for not having an AH doesn't apply to the PC servers. I think the real reason they don't do it is all about the performance impact of having an AH that encompasses a single, gigantic megaserver with potentially millions of players all selling and buying there.

But yeah, selling and buying in ESO is a PITA.
    Elendengel[Deleted User]Hluillretiredmjblamo2000
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    A jewellery crafting system that will let me actually make jewellery ;)
    IselinTealamaksula234GolelornMauerick
    @BillMurphy

The only one in your wish list I care about is Spellcrafting.

Not only would it be fun to track down components to learn them, it would be like adding multiple new skill lines that anyone could use.

Unfortunately the people that were excited about that, Paul Sage and especially Nick Konkle who were the original game director and ability lead designer, both left right around the same time just before the console launch.

The new leads have never shown any enthusiasm for it.
    BillMurphy[Deleted User]Octagon7711
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

YashaX said:
    A jewellery crafting system that will let me actually make jewellery ;)
    8 weeks since release on the PTS, literally thousands of posts in their test server forum and live forums with players pointing out constructively and not so constructively why needing 10 times the upgrade tempers is an excessive grind and makes no sense in the context of the rarity, and usefulness of jewelry compared to anything else craftable or jewelry drops in the game, and not one single post or attempt by developers to explain or justify their decision.

That lack of engagement on the issue has become its own issue that is even more disturbing than the jewelry crafting issue itself.
    YashaXHluillkinkyJalepenoMadFrenchie

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    I would love farming
    Rain_Deathraven

I self identify as a monkey.

• meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917
    Awesome list!
    Octagon7711Rain_Deathraven
  • tropiktropik Member UncommonPosts: 97
    Combat that doesn't feel like i'm hitting air would be nice.
  • MagikarpsGhostMagikarpsGhost Member RarePosts: 689
    Love those who want and auction house. I do just fine with the website that TELLS ME where the item is, how much, when it was posted. As for the list I agree, I want a single sword and spell option
    Hluill

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    A very good list indeed.

5. I'd like to see a compound bow. Please, no firearms.
    4. Spellcrafting would be great.
    3. A Necro class would be great and pretty easy to do with skeletons and other dead things as pets. Just take all pets off the skill bar except for ultimates.
    2. Underwater would be great. I always thought it was funny having an aquatic race without water content.
    1. Never cared much for farming but would like players to have individual shops with samples listed in a more traditional auction house that included their stores location, that way you could travel to the persons store and buy items the way SWG had it set up. A crafter could develop a reputation for superior goods, making it worth the journey to their store.
    Hluill

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Permadeath server :)
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • AzmodeusAzmodeus Member UncommonPosts: 268
    Combat revamp would be nice.  I would even take Bless Online combat over ESO combat.  I love the game, just not the combat and animation cancel.
      OMG I am Ancient!
  • HluillHluill Member UncommonPosts: 161
    Revamp the crafting system so it's dependent on something other than Skill Points, something like Crafting points...

More Combat options would be nice. I would like to mix and match the "classes" a bit more. Come on, let's forget our hope of true balance and take the mechanics the other way. "Play as You want."

Let's rethink the whole random-loot mechanic that so many games, especially this one, seem to thrive on, and run their cash shops on.
    Teala

TSW, LotRO, EQ2, SWTOR, GW2, V:SoH, Neverwinter, ArchAge, EQ, UO, DAoC, WAR, DDO, AoC, MO, BDO, SotA, B&S, ESO, 

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Awesome list. I'd like to add a few things though.

1) Plots of land that we can buy to build a house of our choosing. When you buy the plot of land you can also get a house building kit that is in a certain style (of your choosing as well). Doors, windows, walls, stairs, fireplaces - all the kinds of stuff you need to build a house. This includes rounded walls and such for building tower type houses(sorc towers :) ).

2) Dynamic events that can randomly occur at any given time. Goblins attacking say Wayrest in mass. It's up to the players to defend the city as it is under attack. While it is under attack no merchants work. If you succeed in fighting off the Goblins you get a cool reward.

3) I would like combat to add chain skills. If you perform a set of skills in a certain order your skills morph and allow you to perform a new skill in that chain. It would work similar to the way combat works in Blade & Soul. This would allow for a player to create non-magic character that relies on martial attacks and would open up the game for deeper dynamic combat situations and styles. Imagine playing a hybrid monk that uses magic mixed with martial arts. Or a straight up blademaster type character that uses no magic whatsoever.

4) I wish to see not only spellcrafting added to the game but deeper crafting all together. Allow us to make staves, weapons and armor that have different enchants on them or special magics. A staff that when carried by a player allows for them to feather fall. Give us players more crafting options.

5) More barding choices for our mounts.

6) More phased areas that transform over time. If we clear an area of bad guys(say cultist) then we clear the area. Don't have them stay there. They might move back - or some other threat moves into the area over time...but the thing is - change it up! Allow cities to rebuild over time of finish being built. Will Vivec always be under construction for the life of the game Elder Scrolls Online? Even in a game from 1999 - Asheron's Call cities did not remain destroyed! Are developers of these newer games incapable of actually making the world seem more alive - because the developers of games like Asheron's Call could do it.

7) I really hope Hammerfell and some of the other reaming areas in the game can have some sweeping vistas. I was hoping Summerset might actually have some forest that were a bit more denser and darker...maybe. There are areas yet to be placed in game that could have such forest - it would be awesome to see them.

8) Allow us to do certain emotes while sitting. And allow us to direct an emote at other players. As it is now it isn't possible.

9) I also wish to see a change in guild store system. It doesn't work. Only the most powerful and wealthy guilds get to participate in the system. It is time for the way things are sold in game be reworked from the ground up. The current system is just messed up as it is.

Just a few things I would love to see done in ESO. :)
  • StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,771
    I'll gladly jump back in the game once they:

1. Remove animation clipping
    2. Make more builds viable instead of forced META Builds!

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Torval said:

3. Drop lootcrates and pull way back from the cash shop before they OD on the revenue stream crack.

They need to implement some way of earning store currency in-game imo. I mean, they don't need to.. because the game is clearly making a crap ton of money... but it would certainly open up thier audience a hell of a lot.

Something like Wildstar does, a separate store currency with a daily cap earned from gameplay so they can control what people can buy with it. That way they hook a lot of new players, probably get a lot of new subscribers and those that don't sub still have to pay for things like DLC.
    [Deleted User]
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • Tyr216Tyr216 Member UncommonPosts: 168
    Get rid of lootboxes and I'll resubscribe in a heart beat

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

I'll gladly jump back in the game once they:

1. Remove animation clipping
    2. Make more builds viable instead of forced META Builds!

Every game has a meta build. There are tons of viable builds. Animation clipping will never go away. The game is balanced to include that extra DPS now.
  • immoralthangimmoralthang Member RarePosts: 300
    Spears and Crossbows would be awesome. A Dawnguard DLC?

Spears should make a glorious return in ESVI. They’ve been missed.
  • Fallen5Fallen5 Member UncommonPosts: 99
    these would all be awesome additions to the game imo. more classes and weapons for sure. just throwing this out there too, I love the auction house system in this game. I love that guilds work for this. I do think it adds a lot to the game. I play gw2 and they have an awesome auction house system in that game and eso has its own that works awesome for eso. with the way items work in eso I think it feels much better buying and selling in this way. and its a system not found in any other mmo and I think that is awesome. having something unique that's good and fun is rare and im happy we have an mmo with this system.
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Iselin said:
    @BillMurphy

Not only would it be fun to track down components to learn them, it would be like adding multiple new skill lines that anyone could use.

Unfortunately the people that were excited about that, Paul Sage and especially Nick Konkle who were the original game director and ability lead designer, both left right around the same time just before the console launch.

They probably have no enthusiasm for it because they remember the original Asheron's Call method for learning spells.   Buy a large bunches of random components (somewhere around 50). Remember to get a rainbow's selection of tapers/candles.   Try casting spells using different combinations.  Your combo for Fire Bolt 1 is different from my Fire Bolt 1.  

And then players created a program called Split Pea.  You learned a few spells and plugged those components into Split Pea.  Wait 15 seconds and Split Pea gives you the component construction for every single spell (hundreds) you could use.  

Another 'amazing feature' destroyed by the players.  
    [Deleted User]
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
    Grunty said:
    Iselin said:
    @BillMurphy

They probably have no enthusiasm for it because they remember the original Asheron's Call method for learning spells.   Buy a large bunches of random components (somewhere around 50). Remember to get a rainbow's selection of tapers/candles.   Try casting spells using different combinations.  Your combo for Fire Bolt 1 is different from my Fire Bolt 1.  

And then players created a program called Split Pea.  You learned a few spells and plugged those components into Split Pea.  Wait 15 seconds and Split Pea gives you the component construction for every single spell (hundreds) you could use.  

Another 'amazing feature' destroyed by the players.  
    They were going to do it differently: you found runes, learned them and then combined them to learn the new spells. They showed at Quakecon 2014.

Starts at around 52:50 in this video.

YashaX[Deleted User]Octagon7711

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED