Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Square-Enix Hate Me?

maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178
After the press conference an a mostly quiet day of E3 news, Square-Enix has kept completely tight lipped about The Avengers Project. Seeing as how this game is supposed to be fairly far along in development and rumored to have "social, shared gameplay features" I was expecting some good info, maybe a multiplayer reveal.

Instead we got, NOTHING.  I can only surmise that it's because Square Enix hates me. Or maybe they hate one of you out there that has also been waiting for info.  Or maybe it's because SE just had an awful press conference, and decided to leave out any info on TAP because then it might have actually been good.

Thoughts?

Blaze_RockerMadFrenchie

Comments

• ShinamiShinami Member UncommonPosts: 825
    Most who watched the Live Stream of Square-Enix's E3 Trailers were left unimpressed. The one trailer people actually were talking about was the Kingdom Hearts Trailer which had characters from Tangled and Frozen (both which are insanely popular) and a bit of toy story. 

Then people who play FF XIV thought they were going to get a Live-Letter that would speak about things that were happening in-game regarding the current subscriber base. Instead, the live-letter was about everything but the game itself. It was about FF XIV Fan Convention, FF XIV Cosplay Event, FF Music Soundtrack, FF Estinian (sorry if I misspell the name), the collab of Monster Hunter World with FF XIV. Eorzean Symphony.... basically anything that had to do with promoting the game but nothing directly related to upcoming internals. 

E3 is about the games, plain and simple...
    Square-Enix always throw their trailers with marketing and public relations in mind. 

Anyone who plays any of their games knows that they only mention their partners when there is a collaboration. You think you are pissed off due to "The Avengers Project" ? What about all the players who are pissed off about no footage of the Final Fantasy VII remake, or rumors to that project having problems? 

So my thoughts to you are: 

"Get in Line.... Many are pissed off about things that are far higher on the priority that existed before the Avengers Project was even announced or hinted." There are things as far back as 2012 that people are pissed off about. Don't make me tell you about how pissed off people were for nearly 10 years as they kept one title under wraps and kept teasing bits and pieces. 

Square-Enix is a company where the best way to approach them is to 

1) Refuse to get hyped about anything as that is their strategy.
    2) Let them release their product FIRST
    3) After release, read reviews about their products....

Lets not even begin to talk about the games that were released that required DLC purchases to have a chance at getting alternate endings or a true ending outside the "standard ending" 

4) Buy what you think you might like. 

Anyhow, Good luck and have fun. 
    maskedweasel
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Nearly everything you experience in your life has nothing to do with people, organizations, governments, countries, social media or anything else "hating" you. I am sorry to tell you this but most of what you experience is not about you.

The answer to this is hidden in your question, "supposed to be fairly far along in development", obviously it is not.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Well unlike many other developers,Square tends to be more honest and straight forward.So they are not going to talk about stuff in a MARKETING fashion if they really don't have solid FINISHED work to talk about.
    Example,do you want them to talk about unfinished work the way Chris talked about Star Citizen long before it was ever a game or how you see other devs hype up nothing with fake non gameplay videos?

Another developer who moved along slowly with information was with the Pantheon game,again not a constant hype  of nothingness the way for example Crowfall has behaved.

Point is i don'rt like the steady constant advertising with little information,i rather hear about a finished game that is about to release.

Then we have the really bad devs/advertising that only shows up when a new cash shop item arrives or to tell us to play their game because so many "insert number here" are playing,meaning you shouldn't think for yourself but just play because everyone else is,that kind of stuff i really can't stand.

So if Square wants to wait and keep a lid on until work is ready to be released or finished,it sits well with me.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Their customer service is pretty poor too. Wait months for a reply which says submit another ticket if you still have a problem.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178
    Scot said:

The answer to this is hidden in your question, "supposed to be fairly far along in development", obviously it is not.
    The perception of progress was something they said, a lot of people thought they were going to have information on it.  It's pretty strange that they didn't.  Some rumors even said they'll have some crossover content with Spider Man.

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    edited June 2018

Thoughts?
    I am thinking it's you. SE definitely hates you.

Sorry, but you asked for my thoughts on this. ;)
    ScotPhry
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Scot said:

The perception of progress was something they said, a lot of people thought they were going to have information on it.  It's pretty strange that they didn't.  Some rumors even said they'll have some crossover content with Spider Man.

If you ask a company about how something is doing the reply is a variation of "everything is going very well", with no details. These sort of statements are how the stock market appraises you and helps form investors opinions of you.

You seem a decent guy to me Maskedweasel, despite what Anthur said I really don't think anyone hates you. :)
    maskedweasel
    Anthur said:

Thoughts?
    I am thinking it's you. SE definitely hates you.

Sorry, but you asked for my thoughts on this. ;)
    I KNEW IT! I just needed confirmation...  I heard them conspiring with Ubisoft while I was hiding in the bathroom.
    ScotPhry

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    Dragon Quest 11 will be out soon on Steam though and I care far more about that.  I'm not sure if I can get into a turn-based game of this nature at this point, but I always enjoyed the Dragon Quest series.
    Flyte27 said:
    Dragon Quest 11 will be out soon on Steam though and I care far more about that.  I'm not sure if I can get into a turn-based game of this nature at this point, but I always enjoyed the Dragon Quest series.
    I haven't played a DQ game in a while but the trailer looked good. 

Flyte27 said:
    I always liked the Dragon Quest artwork.  It looks nice, but I guess looking pretty is only part of the game.  It will depend on if the story and combat are interesting enough to keep me playing.  I'm hoping that will be the case.  Usually, Dragon Quest games have somewhat quirky and funny dialogue, but it's hard to compete with games like The Witcher, Mass Effect, and Uncharted in this day and age.  They often have some puzzles to solve which is a bonus.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    edited June 2018
    Flyte27 said:
    Flyte27 said:
    I always liked the Dragon Quest artwork.  It looks nice, but I guess looking pretty is only part of the game.  It will depend on if the story and combat are interesting enough to keep me playing.  I'm hoping that will be the case.  Usually, Dragon Quest games have somewhat quirky and funny dialogue, but it's hard to compete with games like The Witcher, Mass Effect, and Uncharted in this day and age.  They often have some puzzles to solve which is a bonus.
    I like the DQ series a lot more then the other games you just mentioned. Nothing beats a good DQ game. Well, a new Skies of Arcadia might, or a new Panzer Dragoon Saga. Ahh dammit, I hate you SEGA....

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

lahnmir said:
    Flyte27 said:
    Flyte27 said:
    I like the DQ series a lot more then the other games you just mentioned. Nothing beats a good DQ game. Well, a new Skies of Arcadia might, or a new Panzer Dragoon Saga. Ahh dammit, I hate you SEGA....

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    I do love me some sega games, wish Phantasy Star would come back to the US
    MrMelGibsonlahnmir

• ShishamoShishamo Member UncommonPosts: 26
    I just want to know if FFXI mobile got canned.
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    I just want to know what's going on with Left Alive...

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    edited June 2018
    I just want to know why FFXV is literally Game of War: Fire Age with a barely re-skinned GUI.

Post edited by Eldurian on
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited June 2018
    I just wanna know what @maskedweasel did to draw SE's ire.  I think you weren't as sneaky in the bathroom as you thought!

I'm blaming this one squarely on you, weasel.  Next time, let the SE folks take a piss in peace, yea?
    maskedweaselPhry

I just wanna know what @maskedweasel did to draw SE's ire.  I think you weren't as sneaky in the bathroom as you thought!

I'm blaming this one squarely on you, weasel.  Next time, let the SE folks take a piss in peace, yea?
    YOU MADE LEGENDARY! *crowd roars*  that's amazing. 

But no, I love sneaking around while Square-Enix is in the bathroom, Ubisoft was the third wheel, it's almost like a guy and a game company can't get weird in public restrooms these days.  What is this world coming to?
    MadFrenchie

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    After the press conference an a mostly quiet day of E3 news, Square-Enix has kept completely tight lipped about The Avengers Project. Seeing as how this game is supposed to be fairly far along in development and rumored to have "social, shared gameplay features" I was expecting some good info, maybe a multiplayer reveal.

Instead we got, NOTHING.  I can only surmise that it's because Square Enix hates me. Or maybe they hate one of you out there that has also been waiting for info.  Or maybe it's because SE just had an awful press conference, and decided to leave out any info on TAP because then it might have actually been good.

Thoughts?
    I was leaving LAX airport and saw the Square Enix corporate headquarters building. If I wasn't driving I would have taken a picture of it for you.
    maskedweasel
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • barasawabarasawa Member UncommonPosts: 618
    It's not you, they hate everyone.
    Scotmaskedweasel

Lost my mind, now trying to lose yours...

Thoughts?
    I was leaving LAX airport and saw the Square Enix corporate headquarters building. If I wasn't driving I would have taken a picture of it for you.
    Was it on fire?!?!? That would be the only explanation I will accept for no news :( 

• HatterGuyHatterGuy Member UncommonPosts: 12
    Capcom does RE2 remake very fast while Square Enix says that their doing well on FF7 remake which they announce 3 this game 3 years ago.
  • wilgp12wilgp12 Member UncommonPosts: 6

Thoughts?
    idk i think they hate you because they told me all their secerts.
    wilgp12 said:

Thoughts?
    idk i think they hate you because they told me all their secerts.
    But secrets are meant to be shared! 

I think part of their issue is they still rely on turn-based combat.  I never really thought the combat meshed well with fully 3D worlds with nice artwork.  It's okay to watch a 2D animation repeat over and over again, but watching a fancy 3D animation repeat over and over again turns me off for some reason.  FFXV was an interesting idea, but the combat still wasn't that enjoyable.  They need to come up with something more like the Elder Scrolls and WItcher series IMO.  Either that or go back to using the 2D art style.