Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Breaking: CD Projekt Red Calls Cyberpunk 2077 a 'First-Person RPG' - Cyberpunk 2077 - MMORPG.com

Comments

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    edited June 2018
    Xasapis said:
    Asheram said:
    You know just because it lacks a 3rd person veve does not mean it's going to be bad. Look at Deus ex, for example. I prefer 1st person if the game is built around it. Being in 3rd person seeing your charterch is an emersion breaker if you think about it
    Half Life 2 and Dying Light was built around fpp and I can not play either of those for more than 15 minutes w/o wanting to vomit (and I was really enjoying both games)

Deus Ex HR I could play and finished it.

The apprehension isnt just over a prefered perspective.
    Three things that I did helped me with nausea in 1st person games:
    1. Improving the FOV, aka make it as wide as possible. This is especially true if you have a big monitor.
    2. Lower the camera rotation speed. Four to five times slower sometimes. This is also a trick to massively improve your accuracy in FPS games. The downside is that it needs more space in your desk to move your mouse around and some getting used to if you were into the habit of moving the mouse with your wrist.
    3. Focus on the center of your screen. The obvious focus point on 3rd person perspective is the character. When you're in 1st person you either focus dead ahead or on your hands and weapon.
      On this point, I would like to suggest that you look at your frame rate, since frame drop increases fatigue. You can also try to remove some modern effects, like motion blur, and see if that helps.
    I bought Dying Light on both the pc(first) then on ps4, bought some pressure point motion sickness bands. Nothing helped, well the bands helped a bit but was just a pain in the butt just to play a game.

I dont have a problem with all FPP games, like i said DEHR I had no problem with and hopefully when CP 2077 releases I wont with it either.
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    edited June 2018
    Asheram said:
    Xasapis said:
    Asheram said:
    You know just because it lacks a 3rd person veve does not mean it's going to be bad. Look at Deus ex, for example. I prefer 1st person if the game is built around it. Being in 3rd person seeing your charterch is an emersion breaker if you think about it
    Half Life 2 and Dying Light was built around fpp and I can not play either of those for more than 15 minutes w/o wanting to vomit (and I was really enjoying both games)

Deus Ex HR I could play and finished it.

The apprehension isnt just over a prefered perspective.
    Three things that I did helped me with nausea in 1st person games:
    1. Improving the FOV, aka make it as wide as possible. This is especially true if you have a big monitor.
    2. Lower the camera rotation speed. Four to five times slower sometimes. This is also a trick to massively improve your accuracy in FPS games. The downside is that it needs more space in your desk to move your mouse around and some getting used to if you were into the habit of moving the mouse with your wrist.
    3. Focus on the center of your screen. The obvious focus point on 3rd person perspective is the character. When you're in 1st person you either focus dead ahead or on your hands and weapon.
      On this point, I would like to suggest that you look at your frame rate, since frame drop increases fatigue. You can also try to remove some modern effects, like motion blur, and see if that helps.
    I bought Dying Light on both the pc(first) then on ps4, bought some pressure point motion sickness bands. Nothing helped, well the bands helped a bit but was just a pain in the butt just to play a game.

I dont have a problem with all FPP games, like i said DEHR I had no problem with and hopefully when CP 2077 releases I wont with it either.
    Dying Light camera reminds me a bit of a ship in a storm, going up and down all the time and moving really close to walls, then looking far again. That's probably what helps when playing in third person, you keep the distance between you and your character relatively constant regardless of how close or far that character goes towards walls, crates and obstacles.

The other think that you need to look is whether you see dips in performance with Dying Light changing focus point (near to far to near etc.) all the time. If you see fps fluctuation or screen tearing etc., that's where all the nausea is coming from. Consoles are traditionally bad performers, so it's better to check it on your PC (also to see if it drops below 30 fps).

Answering a few other posts above:

For me 1st person equals immersion while 3rd person equals spatial awareness. So it comes down to which is more important. They said that the game is more narrative than action focused, so it makes sense to keep the 1st person. Just keep in mind that the majority of horror games are 1st person for a reason (reason is it's near impossible to surprise a player with the spacial awareness of the 3rd person perspective).

As for whether Cyberpunk is true to the source material, well, you can blame the guy on the right if it isn't.

[Deleted User]
    Xasapis said:

Just keep in mind that the majority of horror games are 1st person for a reason (reason is it's near impossible to surprise a player with the spacial awareness of the 3rd person perspective).

You should check out the Resident Evil 2 Remake
    Asheram said:
    Xasapis said:

Just keep in mind that the majority of horror games are 1st person for a reason (reason is it's near impossible to surprise a player with the spacial awareness of the 3rd person perspective).

I'm not a big fan of the series or the genre, I merely observed how the developers tried to deliver the story.

The last Resident Evil I tried (and failed) to play was 6. My main issue was camera control (with mouse and keyboard) making the whole experience of gun aiming and looking around unnecessarily convoluted.
    edited June 2018
    Xasapis said:
    Asheram said:
    Xasapis said:

I'm not a big fan of the series or the genre, I merely observed how the developers tried to deliver the story.

The last Resident Evil I tried (and failed) to play was 6. My main issue was camera control (with mouse and keyboard) making the whole experience of gun aiming and looking around unnecessarily convoluted.
    If you haven't played RE 4 you should try it. They are making RE2R more like RE4 as far as combat and controls but keeping the story and alot of the same areas of RE2.

• acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    edited June 2018
    Xasapis said:
    Asheram said:
    Xasapis said:

Off topic: I wouldn't base anything on RE6, it's by far the worst of the series. RE5 is a good co-op action game, and RE4 is just a great action game. If you want more 'horror' you need to go back to RE1/2/3. RE7 is OK as well, but being first person, has a different feel.
    acidblood said:
    Xasapis said:
    Asheram said:
    Xasapis said:

Off topic: I wouldn't base anything on RE6, it's by far the worst of the series. RE5 is a good co-op action game, and RE4 is just a great action game. If you want more 'horror' you need to go back to RE1/2/3. RE7 is OK as well, but being first person, has a different feel.
    Unrelated again, but my first choice would be Hellblade. It is unfortunate that I haven't played it yet, but my backlog of unplayed games has grown too big, plus I currently play an mmorpg, which means it saps a considerable amount of time.
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    They should have both First, and 3rd Person view pretty disappointing...
    Renoaku said:
    My take is that a 3rd person ultimately wouldn't fit the atmosphere or showcase the detail like a 1st person does. Pretty much why Dishonored is so much better in 1st person.
  • ysquare21ysquare21 Member UncommonPosts: 30
    I prefer RPGs - or any game for that matter - in the 3rd person. I'm not saying I will not buy it but it does make me less excited for the game. The cyberpunk genre offers a wealth of customization with the way your character may look so not seeing him/her (probably only in dialogues and cutscenes) is very disappointing.
    SBFord
    The following screenshot looks like the player is peeking over a corner. (also included the high resolution link)

Some info from IGN stream, taken from:

• Gunplay is faster than Deus Ex but slower than Borderlands

• Mantis arm blades melee weapon (seen in teaser image with the lady)

• Wall Run traversal ability

• Stealth mechanics exist, no specifics yet

• IGN details a sequence where the player does a stealth takedown on an enemy and then jacks into the enemy to get a schematic layout of the base the player was infiltrating.

• Branching dialogue options

• Open world is limited by Street Cred - certain areas unaccessible without the right level of Street Cred

• Clothing affects Street Cred

• Main Stats: Strength Constitution Intelligence Reflexes Tech Cool

• Side Quests can give you special upgrades and unique body parts unavailable elsewhere. Higher Street Cred gets you access to more side missions.

• Upgrades to your character directly affect your UI and your gameplay.

• Examples: Subdermal Grip increases V's gun damage and adds ammo counter to the UI, Optical upgrade allows V to Zoom in and Scan enemies/vehicles

• Four different damage types: Physical, Thermal, EMP, Chemical

• Scanning enemies can expose their weaknesses

• Equipment and Chip slots exist. Chip slot example: Dog-Sized Robot Spider follows and fights for V

• Drivable cars in huge sprawling city. City size still unknown. Driving freedom doesnt seem as open as it is in GTA V however.

• Mobile fights - V leans out of the car to shoot assailants as AI companion drives

• You can switch between third person and first person perspective WHILE DRIVING. First Person Perspective shows the Car's Dashboard UI

• Buildings are TALL. V has to use elevators to go through the various floors.

• Traditional RPG consumables are mentioned

• De-escalating some situations via conversation is entirely possible

• Casual conversation dialogue pops up as you're roaming around

• Dialogue is more fluid than Witcher 3

• First Person camera contributes to the liveliness of the city

• "Mature Experience intended for Mature Audiences"

• Nudity and Sexual Content confirmed.

• "...Romancing" options confirmed.

• Aside from Driving, cutscenes will also switch to third person perspective, upgrading V is also done in third person perspective.

• KlatideKlatide Member UncommonPosts: 15

kitarad said:

serious? people are raging about first person now? when eso only had 3rd person they wnated 1st, now company make the game and put 1st person out people complayin too?, kinda a useless complain, also you guys forget its will have guns too so, more then likely it will work like deus ex

I get nausea and headaches in first person and I have tried adjusting FOV and even in the most generous settings the best I can play is 20 minutes and I was not raging.

Some companies are developing anti motion sickness wristbands. It may worth a try.

• ysquare21ysquare21 Member UncommonPosts: 30
    Xasapis said:
    Renoaku said:
    My take is that a 3rd person ultimately wouldn't fit the atmosphere or showcase the detail like a 1st person does. Pretty much why Dishonored is so much better in 1st person.
     While I can see you point isn't it odd that they would want to put off potential buyers by not offering a third person perspective? As far as I can tell this is not a simple shooter. You can take cover, upgrading is done in third person and so is driving.
  • nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716
    This game is going to be good for sure and sorry to those who do not like first person. But I do not think this game would work in 3rd person if you played the pen and paper/tabletop on this game you could see why it would not work as well do to the fact this game is based on mostly gun play. So a first person play should work better.

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Some interesting perspective about his sources and so on. Just slap it into another tab and listen :dizzy:

Honestly, it's not that I won't play. I'm sure I will and like it. I'm just less twitterpated. :)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

ysquare21 said:
    Xasapis said:
    Renoaku said:
     While I can see you point isn't it odd that they would want to put off potential buyers by not offering a third person perspective? As far as I can tell this is not a simple shooter. You can take cover, upgrading is done in third person and so is driving.
    They said that they explored both options but ultimately chose the 1st person. Perhaps because of the immersion, or perhaps because of the way they built the levels (3rd person needs more open space else the camera gets stuck in odd places or you need see through walls).

For now we know that upgrades that you install change your HUD. That's a point towards 1st person. Bullet time works better in 3rd person imo (example Max Payne), and wall running can be done equally well in both (example Titanfall 2).

The real question is whether the high resolution screenshots I posted earlier are actual playable screenshots or merely high resolution stills, impossible to achieve even with the beefiest PC you can buy two years from now.
  • wandericawanderica Member UncommonPosts: 370

SBFord said:

SBFord said:

I can't describe how disappointing this is to hear. At least at the moment, nothing is indicating if a 3rd person mode will also be available, but one can hope that, if it's not part of the game yet, that it will be added before release.

This is a strange trend that seems to be beginning.  Kingdom Come, now Cyberpunk...  I wonder if we'll see more titles eschewing the 3rd person, and I'm also interested in why.

Well it certainly cuts down on the all the animations necessary for a 3rd person view. Then think of the customization options that will only have to be shown periodically. For most companies, that would be a money saving option but CDPR with the scads of money they've taken in thanks to The Witcher 3?

I also started to wonder if they had plans for VR one day. 

Regardless, I HATE 1st person, especially in an RPG. I want to make and customize my character and see her out in the world doing what she's doing. Seeing just her hands is....just no. Not my cup of tea. 

I guess I'll temper my excitement for this one right along with Fallout 76.

Thank goodness for Ubi going much more narrative RPGish in Odyssey and some of the 3rd person co-op shooters coming down the pike.

Agree completely. I suppose it seems a little counterintuitive, but 1st person really breaks immersion for me. Skyrim is a good example here. I may switch to 1st person for combat as I find it easier due to the design, but then I zoom right back out. No fiddling with FOV sliders, no wondering why my arms seem to be attached at my ears, and no feeling like my neck doesn't swivel.

I really hope there's something lost in translation here, and there is a 3rd person option. 1st only is going to give me a HEAVY FPS vibe, and that is certainly not my cup of tea. The one exception to this was Half-Life 2 in VR when I had my DK2. That was an amazing experience.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    DMKano said:
    Iselin said:
    kitarad said:
    serious? people are raging about first person now? when eso only had 3rd person they wnated 1st, now company make the game and put 1st person out people complayin too?, kinda a useless complain, also you guys forget its will have guns too so, more then likely it will work like deus ex
    I get nausea and headaches in first person and I have tried adjusting FOV and even in the most generous settings the best I can play is 20 minutes and I was not raging.
    It's not uncommon. Sucks for you though.

I used to suffer from this basically since wofenstein, doom1, hexen, rise of the triad and all of those old gen 1 fps games.

I tried everything, FOV, light levels on screen in the room, background lights, how far I sit from screen even motion sickness pills....

What finally worked is something unexpected - my 2K monitor supports gsync since i have an nvidia it made sense (the same would be true for amd and freesync) - this has greatly diminished my sensitivity to FPS nausea. I can play fps games for 2 hours with minimal discomfort now.

Not saying this is a fix or a cure - it simply worked for me

As far as Cynerpunk 2077 FPS - I say - bring it on! I am ready
    I don't have a 2k monitor no space on my desk. I also cannot really ask my husband for a new monitor to play games ....yeah that will go over well. 

One day I will try what you suggested but meanwhile I'll just avoid first person games. Although I have played Fallout 3 and used the sniper rifle and that was in first person but it is brief moments which did not cause any issues. I can play very short bursts of first person view. 

I hope there will be a mod created by someone or well or I'll just play the games that offer third person. Lot of games out there and definitely more than I can try this lifetime. 

Thanks @DMKano

• KlatideKlatide Member UncommonPosts: 15

kitarad said:

There are some wristbands that helps with that, I think I saw a news here about it.
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402

kitarad said:

FOV adjustment to stop nausea/headaches isn't inputting the largest value. It's should be a ratio based on your screen with/height (mine is around 92-95). Also, I have to remove motion blur, head bob, film grain, depth of field (and sometimes other settings) and I must not look at cinematic movement that include swift camera movement of the head (example: every time I do a dash into a vent in DX:MD I have to look in the corner of the screen or I get an headaches).

Once I learned to adjust my settings and behavior I haven't got any issue in recent 1st person games.
  • RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Xasapis said:
    Some info from IGN stream, taken from:

• Gunplay is faster than Deus Ex but slower than Borderlands

• Mantis arm blades melee weapon (seen in teaser image with the lady)

• Wall Run traversal ability

• Stealth mechanics exist, no specifics yet

• IGN details a sequence where the player does a stealth takedown on an enemy and then jacks into the enemy to get a schematic layout of the base the player was infiltrating.

...etc...

And not a single mention of crawling through ridiculously oversized heater ducts?  Count me out!  ;)
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    Maybe it relate with VR develop . Lately some RPG have ported to VR as well .