Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fallout (4?) for an Old Fart?

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
Hey guys,

I've been wanting to try the Fallout series (starting with 4, I guess), but I generally am pretty slow and uncoordinated and not good at FPS. Is this game super fast-paced and twitchy? A gamer friend of mine is like me, and she said she had no problems playing it.

Also, is 4 a good jumping-on point for the series?

Thanks!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Yeh, you can focus your character skills to make more use of action points and ap regeneration to make you able to use V.A.T.S. more often. Plus, if things are getting rough you can always open your inventory to pause the game and heal yourself.

Personally, you should play them all because they are worth it. If you're into games like Baldur's Gate, Divinity: Original Sin or Wasteland then you would probably enjoy Fallout 1 and 2. If not, I recommend starting with Fallout 3 and playing them in order of release, then you get to see the progression of the series properly.

If you only have the time for one, and they do take a considerable amount of time to play fully, then you should probably play Fallout 4.
    Deddmeat
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
    Story-wise, each game is separate so you don't need to play the older ones to understand some kind of ongoing story or anything like that. There's only nods and Easter eggs that link to the other games.
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Cool, thanks guys!  I guess I'll start with 3.  Is it OK to use a keyboard and mouse?  I was thinking of getting a controller, anyway...
    Much better with mouse and keyboard for targeting. Not just with guns but scavenging for loot is much more efficient using a mouse.
    [Deleted User]Iselin
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,373
    I've played every FO game ever made, including Tactics which many have forgotten.

Of the Modern ones FO4 is my favorite, and being an old fart I can assure you its something you can handle.

Don't be misled, while FO3, FO New Vegas have a VATS system that totally pauses combat, FO4 works differently as enemies slow down but still keep moving. 

While I used VATS religiously in earlier games I rarely bother with it in FO4 as I find freestyle aiming to be far more accurate and deadly once you get good at it.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Kyleran said:
    I've played every FO game ever made, including Tactics which many have forgotten.

Of the Modern ones FO4 is my favorite, and being an old fart I can assure you its something you can handle.

Don't be misled, while FO3, FO New Vegas have a VATS system that totally pauses combat, FO4 works differently as enemies slow down but still keep moving. 

While I used VATS religiously in earlier games I rarely bother with it in FO4 as I find freestyle aiming to be far more accurate and deadly once you get good at it.
    Vats isnt for aiming or accuracy its for those bad ass slow mo kill cams and watching a body part of a mutated baddie get severed. :) 
    IselinDeddmeat
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,743
    FO3 is the place to start, and what a great start it will be for you, I rather envy someone who has not played those games. :)
  • KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608
    If you really like old school RPGs with a reactive world and many ways to approach quests just give Fallout 1 a try. In my opinion it's the best of the series and it's isometrical and turn based instead of first person, so you won't have to worry about being slow :)
    GameolioDan

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited June 2018
    Hey guys,

I've been wanting to try the Fallout series (starting with 4, I guess), but I generally am pretty slow and uncoordinated and not good at FPS. Is this game super fast-paced and twitchy? A gamer friend of mine is like me, and she said she had no problems playing it.

Thanks!
    I literally just bought this game on sale at Steam 2 days ago. Not thrilled, can't really get into it much. Not the worst game I've played. I think it was worth the $30 I paid, but I'm glad I didn't pay more. 

That said, it's not hard. It's no harder than any previous FO game and if you can manage TES combat, then FO isn't that different.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,373
    edited June 2018
    Hey guys,

Thanks!
    I literally just bought this game on sale at Steam 2 days ago. Not thrilled, can't really get into it much. Not the worst game I've played. I think it was worth the $30 I paid, but I'm glad I didn't pay more. 

That said, it's not hard. It's no harder than any previous FO game and if you can manage TES combat, then FO isn't that different.
    Coming right off of New Vegas FO4 was at first off putting, as it did several things "differently" and I always struggle with change.

But I gave it some time, learned more about the systems, and really delved into the storylines. 

There were times I really had to make some questionable choices, and there were definitely consequences.

On my 4th playthrough now, have tried a different style each time. 

Like I said, give it some time......and get some power armor.....and the combat shotgun....

;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    All of the modern Fallout games are quite good (not saying the original ones weren't, but they aren't easy to play anymore), and all of them tend to play extremely similarly. New Vegas was my favorite of them, but 3 and 4 are also extremely good. You can start anywhere you want really. M+KB is the easiest way to play, but I do know controller works pretty well too if you prefer that method.
    Deddmeat
  • KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602
    Play Fallout 4 as last. Workshop (building) adds a lot to that game. Plus I really enjoyed Far Harbor (FO4 dlc) exploring. It's the best "zone" of all games to wander around. SO save the best for last ;)

You could even give Fallout 1 & 2 + Tactics a try, the stories and jokes are worth the time. It's 2d plus point & click movement combined with turnbased combat.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    OK, it's growing on me......After spending a few days in the game, i blew out my saves, dropped half my mods and I'm focusing on the crafting aspect of the game. I love my modded out 308 hunting rifle, and the fact that I have my original 10mm that I keep improving is awesome to me.