Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Breaking: CD Projekt Red Calls Cyberpunk 2077 a 'First-Person RPG' - Cyberpunk 2077 - MMORPG.com

Comments

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Why is first-person bad/disappointing? Also since when (in recent times) has first-person been a character animation shortcut? I'm asking from a position of ignorance. Someone enlighten me.

For the folks who have issues playing first-person due to equilibrium if there is a FOV slider, crank that baby up to max.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    DMKano said:
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    Gisrie said:
    At this point I'm just happy that they've said it's a single player, story-driven RPG with no microtransactions... they feel so rare nowadays. Plus STEAMPUNK!!! Haven't played a good one of those in forever.
    Ummm... not steampunkk, cyberpunk, which is a totally different thing.
    Steampunk is essentially Victorian Cyberpunk so I can understand the mistake.
    OK. You made that up by lifting one of your cheeks off your chair, right? :)

Steampunk is all about using old mechanical contraptions to achieve scifi creations usually in incongruous time periods. The Clockwork City in ESO is an example as is Bioshock, Dishonored and even Fallout a bit.

Cyberpunk is a scifi sub-genre characterized by dark gritty futuristic worlds with science we haven't seen yet mixed with a heavy dose of detective fiction Noir.

Two totally different things.

Do people not realize that Cyberpunk 2077 is based on a pen and paper RPG?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberpunk_2020

I didn't know, never kept up on PnP games until someone turned them into a computer game or someone reportedly died or killed someone allegedly due to such games. 
    MadFrenchie

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    DMKano said:
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    Gisrie said:
    At this point I'm just happy that they've said it's a single player, story-driven RPG with no microtransactions... they feel so rare nowadays. Plus STEAMPUNK!!! Haven't played a good one of those in forever.

Steampunk is all about using old mechanical contraptions to achieve scifi creations usually in incongruous time periods. The Clockwork City in ESO is an example as is Bioshock, Dishonored and even Fallout a bit.

Cyberpunk is a scifi sub-genre characterized by dark gritty futuristic worlds with science we haven't seen yet mixed with a heavy dose of detective fiction Noir.

Not all of us watched this 5 years ago :)

[Deleted User][Deleted User][Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    edited June 2018
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    Gisrie said:

Naw... the best description I have found is this which is similar to what both of you are saying, both are sub genres of sci fi:

Your definition is a little too strict Islin with he whole, "mixed with a heavy dose of detective fiction Noir." criteria.

I am quite happy about it being a single player game and don't mind at all that it's first person, looking forward to this!

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 737
    The Editor disappoints me. You're sad that they're reinventing themselves? Just like they said they would after they said that the Witcher series had lived its time. Now they want to try something different? So you wanted just a reskin, I'm guessing? Now that would had been disappointing in my eyes.
    Kyleran
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    The Editor disappoints me. You're sad that they're reinventing themselves? Just like they said they would after they said that the Witcher series had lived its time. Now they want to try something different? So you wanted just a reskin, I'm guessing? Now that would had been disappointing in my eyes.
    I don't think anyone's saying they're "sad", but disappointed. Do people not like different things? I much prefer 3rd person perspective, others like 1st person perspective, and some even live with both. I don't see tears or rage, just more of a disappointed shoulder shrug.
    Robsolf

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    SBFord said:
    I don't think anyone's saying they're "sad", but disappointed. Do people not like different things? I much prefer 3rd person perspective, others like 1st person perspective, and some even live with both. I don't see tears or rage, just more of a disappointed shoulder shrug.
    I guess due to the era I cut my teeth on computer games in issues such as perspective, inverted mouselook, keyboard remapping or interfaces are of small concern.

After hiking uphill both ways in the snow to game we were just happy to be able to play them on our "wooden" computers.

When I recall all the "fun" I had reconfiguring my high memory, after returning the discs a few times because number 3 out 8 wouldn't read (did I clean the heads lately?) I just can't complain much about "preferences" such as these.

;)
    Mendel

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Asm0deus said:

Your definition is a little too strict Islin with he whole, "mixed with a heavy dose of detective fiction Noir." criteria.

It's not my definition it's what people like William Gibson, Richard K. Morgan and Mike Pondsmith have been saying to describe it for decades. It's a defining characteristic of cyberpunk stories cited by the people who created the sub-genre.

It is not a feature of Steampunk which is more about the anachronisms created by producing fictional high tech with primitive tech.
    Asm0deusMendel
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    This makes me unbelievably happy. I was a little worried that the game was going to be a 3rd person only game. These styles of games feel far more immersive, for me, when I am in a first person view.
    edited June 2018
    Iselin said:
    Asm0deus said:

It's not my definition it's what people like William Gibson, Richard K. Morgan and Mike Pondsmith have been saying to describe it for decades. It's a defining characteristic of cyberpunk stories cited by the people who created the sub-genre.

It is not a feature of Steampunk which is more about the anachronisms created by producing fictional high tech with primitive tech.
    Mate they are both sub genres of sci fi that's a fact. They are both similar in that they are about future tech but one is based in Victorian "what if" era and one is based on future right now what if....there is plenty of cyber punk that has nothing to do with the Noir sub genre.

You need to go back further it was around in the 60's and 70's see Farmer, Zelazny and Moorcock. 

As you get older and read more you will realize often books don't always fit one genre exactly and may or may not have elements of other genres like noir fiction and that it's quite sloppy to try and shoehorn something into a strict definition.

Post edited by Asm0deus on
    Iselin

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Kyleran said:
    DMKano said:
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    Gisrie said:

I didn't know, never kept up on PnP games until someone turned them into a computer game or someone reportedly died or killed someone allegedly due to such games. 
    I'm a millennial.  Pen and paper, da fuq is that?
    IselinRobsolf

Asm0deus said:
    Iselin said:
    Asm0deus said:

Mate they are both sub genres of sci fi that's a fact. They are both similar in that they are about future tech but one is based in Victorian "what if" era and one is based on future right now what if....there is plenty of cyber punk that has nothing to do with the Noir sub genre.

Whatever. Not worth the time to argue about it.

PS. Of course they're both sci-fi sub genres. You want to point me to where I said they weren't?

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Speaking of William Gibson (I know, you weren't. I was) He doesn't think Cyberpunk 2077 is cyberpunk enough for him from watching the trailer:

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    SBFord said:
    I can't describe how disappointing this is to hear. At least at the moment, nothing is indicating if a 3rd person mode will also be available, but one can hope that, if it's not part of the game yet, that it will be added before release.
    The thing is the moment the 3rd person view is available in any game first person view is effectively dead.

Developers start testing in 3rd person mode, first person mode is under tested. Locations, quests, and combat become more difficult or even impossible without switching to 3rd person mode. In any raiding situation you are going to receive scorn for not being in third person view for the raid, you will even be dropped from the raid for doing it.
    Wellspring
    Iselin said:
    Asm0deus said:
    Iselin said:
    Asm0deus said:

PS. Of course they're both sci-fi sub genres. You want to point me to where I said they weren't?
    No, but again my point is technically that they are the exact same genre about one hundred years apart.
    Yeah? When I read everything both Jules Verne and HG Wells wrote I must have missed the parts about computers, implants and cyborgs as well as the evil corporations that had replaced governments.

Other than that yes, of course you're right, they're identical.
    Asm0deus

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Rhoklaw said:
    I only mind first person if it forces the nauseating head bobbing when moving. I mean some motion is ok, but lets keep it to a minimum.

....... and the little handies. Seeing those things bobbing around in view all the time is useless distraction and a waste of system resources. As I move through the world day by day I never really 'see' my hands, my brain edits them out unless I actually focus on them.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    SBFord said:
    I can't describe how disappointing this is to hear. At least at the moment, nothing is indicating if a 3rd person mode will also be available, but one can hope that, if it's not part of the game yet, that it will be added before release.
    The thing is the moment the 3rd person view is available in any game first person view is effectively dead.

Developers start testing in 3rd person mode, first person mode is under tested. Locations, quests, and combat become more difficult or even impossible without switching to 3rd person mode. In any raiding situation you are going to receive scorn for not being in third person view for the raid, you will even be dropped from the raid for doing it.
    Absolutely not true in any Fallout or single player Elder Scrolls game. Playing in third person is only useful for seeing what you look like. Sure, some people prefer playing them in 3rd but it's not optimal for performance (as in player performance). That is what we should be comparing this to.

In an MMO, sure.. but I don't see why anyone would be comparing Cyberpunk to an MMO.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

In an MMO, sure.. but I don't see why anyone would be comparing Cyberpunk to an MMO.
    Well there's going to be a lot of people playing Cyberpunk 2077 on their PCs with an active internet connection while they play. Some of those people will also be massive.

Connected? Check
    Massive? Check

Yup looks like it fits the new criteria for MMO.
    MidPrincessTacticalZombeh

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

edited June 2018
    Iselin said:
    Speaking of William Gibson (I know, you weren't. I was) He doesn't think Cyberpunk 2077 is cyberpunk enough for him from watching the trailer:

LOL Gibson's early cyberunk didn't develop a noir feel till the early 80's....it's okay that your a big fan of his but it's also okay to realize not all authors will agree on stuff and may each have a different take on things, that's a good thing or fiction would become bland very quickly.

That's a far cry though from saying steampunk and cyber punk have nothing in common like you claim.

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited June 2018
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/06/12/e3-2018-cyberpunk-2077-cd-projekt-addresses-first-person-backlash

Interesting quote at IGN. Seems third person will not be coming.

We got a chance to sit down with Peter Gelencser, the lead level designer on Cyberpunk 2077, and ask him his thoughts on the audience reaction. Gelencser explained, "First and foremost, I really enjoy all the attention the subject is getting, because it's important. This has been an educated decision. The first-person point of view is there so you can see things happening up close, and so you can really interact with things in a visceral manner. with the game world." He continued. "It worked out well with our exploration of the genre."

He then went on to explain more of the philosophy of how you present perspective in games, saying, "Third-person works well in games like the Witcher when you have a lot of motion and movement around you. But when all the things happen to you, from you, within you, first person point of view is the right decision to take, especially because of the augmentations."

AsheramWellspringTacticalZombeh

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

edited June 2018
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    Asm0deus said:
    Iselin said:
    Asm0deus said:

No, but again my point is technically that they are the exact same genre about one hundred years apart.
    Yeah? When I read everything both Jules Verne and HG Wells wrote I must have missed the parts about computers, implants and cyborgs as well as the evil corporations that had replaced governments.

Other than that yes, of course you're right, they're identical.
    If you think cyberpunk is simply about implants and computers etc and steampunk is only about steam power, clocks and gears etc you sadly missed the entire point or driving force behind these stories and books, those are just the settings. 

That's what steampunk and cyberpunk is really about, trying to define a "type" of setting, but if you look deeper they are both driven by similar themes....
    Iselin[Deleted User]

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited June 2018
    Aeander said:
    I am still anticipating it, but first person camera severely reduces my enjoyment of any game. Unless it's a shooter, first person camera kills depth and action, resulting in travesties such as the Skyrim/Kingdom Come/etc. combat systems.

Even having FPV as an option reduces any review score I would give a non-shooter due too holding back the TPV combat system. FPV exclusivity reduces any review score I would give further.

I won't make an exception even for CD Projeckt.
    Whoa whoa, Kingdom Come combat system a travesty?

It's one of the most complex and enjoyable sword-fighting systems I've ever experienced.  Actual feints, combo strikes that require you to actually perform each strike in succession (EDIT- including not just hitting a button at the right time, but from the right direction and attack type), and a more realistic style of damage calculation that takes into account individual pieces of armor (woe is he who walks into sword combat without a proper helmet!).

The mouse control takes some getting used to, but lumping the combat system of Kingdom Come in with Skyrim is like saying Contra's gunplay (yes, that Contra) is roughly the same as Bioshock's.

• QuicksandQuicksand Member UncommonPosts: 683
    Dang, waiting so long for a game I'm not going to buy. Props to CDp and everyone that likes fps. Only thing that confuses me is hearing a CDp guy saying that the world needed fps to be immersive, so was the Witcher 3's world not immersive somehow?

Anyways. Grats FPSers. Sucks for me I guess.
    SBFord[Deleted User]

www.90and9.net
    www.prophecymma.com

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    edited June 2018
    SBFord said:
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/06/12/e3-2018-cyberpunk-2077-cd-projekt-addresses-first-person-backlash

Interesting quote at IGN. Seems third person will not be coming.

We got a chance to sit down with Peter Gelencser, the lead level designer on Cyberpunk 2077, and ask him his thoughts on the audience reaction. Gelencser explained, "First and foremost, I really enjoy all the attention the subject is getting, because it's important. This has been an educated decision. The first-person point of view is there so you can see things happening up close, and so you can really interact with things in a visceral manner. with the game world." He continued. "It worked out well with our exploration of the genre."

He then went on to explain more of the philosophy of how you present perspective in games, saying, "Third-person works well in games like the Witcher when you have a lot of motion and movement around you. But when all the things happen to you, from you, within you, first person point of view is the right decision to take, especially because of the augmentations."

Well that's a disappointment, I would have rather heard them say it was too much work to implement than try to excuse their attemt at shoehorning people into their "perspective".

FPP and TPP work quite well in GTA 5.
    SBFord[Deleted User]TacticalZombeh