Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Breaking: CD Projekt Red Calls Cyberpunk 2077 a 'First-Person RPG' - Cyberpunk 2077 - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageBreaking: CD Projekt Red Calls Cyberpunk 2077 a 'First-Person RPG' - Cyberpunk 2077 - MMORPG.com

Cyberpunk 2077 News - IGN is reporting from a closed door presentation by CD Projekt Red about Cyberpunk 2077 that developers describe the game as a "first-person RPG".

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    I can't describe how disappointing this is to hear. At least at the moment, nothing is indicating if a 3rd person mode will also be available, but one can hope that, if it's not part of the game yet, that it will be added before release.
    TintagilLeFantomeSamhaelAvarixGremeRhomsAlbatroesYaevinduskMidPrincessmazutand 19 others.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited June 2018
    SBFord said:
    I can't describe how disappointing this is to hear. At least at the moment, nothing is indicating if a 3rd person mode will also be available, but one can hope that, if it's not part of the game yet, that it will be added before release.
    This is a strange trend that seems to be beginning.  Kingdom Come, now Cyberpunk...  I wonder if we'll see more titles eschewing the 3rd person, and I'm also interested in why.
    SBFordRobsolf

• TintagilTintagil Member UncommonPosts: 214
    So like Skyrim in the future?

I definitely prefer my RPGs in the 3rd person, and agree that a 3rd person option should be present. With that said, if done right a first person RPG has the potential to be really immersive.

With how amazing the Witcher was, I'll remain patient and optimistic that this team will deliver a solid product.
    SBFordAvarixmazutnicolino15rojoArcueidwingoodbartoni33Moonffang
    edited June 2018
    SBFord said:
    This is a strange trend that seems to be beginning.  Kingdom Come, now Cyberpunk...  I wonder if we'll see more titles eschewing the 3rd person, and I'm also interested in why.
    Well it certainly cuts down on the all the animations necessary for a 3rd person view. Then think of the customization options that will only have to be shown periodically. For most companies, that would be a money saving option but CDPR with the scads of money they've taken in thanks to The Witcher 3?

I also started to wonder if they had plans for VR one day. 

Regardless, I HATE 1st person, especially in an RPG. I want to make and customize my character and see her out in the world doing what she's doing. Seeing just her hands is....just no. Not my cup of tea. 

I guess I'll temper my excitement for this one right along with Fallout 76.

Thank goodness for Ubi going much more narrative RPGish in Odyssey and some of the 3rd person co-op shooters coming down the pike.
    MadFrenchieSamhaelAlbatroesRobsolfRorhcAeanderZenerenwingoodesc-joconnorbartoni33and 2 others.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    don't change much
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    I am actually happy it's in first person. I enjoy first person RPG's quite a bit. It's more immersive to me than seeing a whole character 24/7.
    [Deleted User]MendelSovrathjpedrote52ScarranzigalucardgegecoucManasuNildenJeffSpicoliand 9 others.
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Perhaps you play in 1st person but it does replay in 3rd? But at least it is a good company
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    SBFord said:
    1st person feels more 'simulation' than 'game'.  No matter how hard I try, I've never seen my backside.

Also, 1st person probably plays with VR better than 3rd person.  Maybe that's an option in their mind for a future release/expansion/upgrade.

Asm0deusMadFrenchie

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    I am still anticipating it, but first person camera severely reduces my enjoyment of any game. Unless it's a shooter, first person camera kills depth and action, resulting in travesties such as the Skyrim/Kingdom Come/etc. combat systems.

Even having FPV as an option reduces any review score I would give a non-shooter due too holding back the TPV combat system. FPV exclusivity reduces any review score I would give further.

I won't make an exception even for CD Projeckt.
    Samhaelysquare21wanderica
  • LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692

SBFord said:

Yeah, I feel the same.

Samhaelysquare21

• LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    First Person RPG worked for the Deus-Ex series. 
    Sovrath[Deleted User]Asm0deus[Deleted User]azarhalTacticalZombehBananaSoup
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited June 2018
    SBFord said:
    Well I noticed something that all the devs do at roughly the same time...

Kingdom Come, Assassins Creed Origins, Witcher 3, Final Fantasy XV (singleplayer) to name a few major ones...no character customization and no main character you can choose to be a female. Some may have female character parts, but they are all male dominated and with little to no customization.

Another trend is removing singleplayer games entirely...every single major company is removing singleplayer. The only game to not remove singleplayer is Cyberpunk

The first one is definitely sexist, and seems to be happening coincidentally at the same time where women are campaigning (and winning) for equality (too much a coincidence to actually be a coincidence). These are companies that may "advertise" women equality, but actually behind closed doors believe the opposite. Exactly like companies (for example facebook) who publicly hate an orange haired baboon, but heavily helped the orange baboon win election so privately actually do not hate the baboon. So they say one thing, but actually believe another. 

The second one is far more obvious. They want microtransactions in all games, and instead of games lasting decades (like I still play Ultima 7 and older games)...they want games to last a few years and then when servers are dead you can never play the game again. Its a pure greed decision.

Both things all happened at the same time. Which makes me think there is a secret closed doors agenda that vast majority of companies agreed to...its too much a coincidence (again) that every company is removing singleplayer at the same exact time of every other company. Far too much a coincidence. And whats with every major company suddenly removing playable females and removing customization?
    Post edited by TheScavenger on
    JeffSpicoliAeanderDestriRorhcSpottyGekkobartoni33ragebulletNyghthowler

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498

Limnic said:

Actually, that was one of the things I always thought *hurt* the Deus Ex series.
    AeanderSBFordRorhcelveonerojoArcueid3dom[Deleted User]NyghthowlerBananaSoup
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Guess im in the minority here but i love 1st person RPG's probably why im such a Bethesda fanboy. I'm looking forward to this game and i like team thats making it.
    jpedrote52XarkoSpottyGekko[Deleted User]TacticalZombeh
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    SBFord said:
    Well I noticed something that all the devs do at roughly the same time...

Kingdom Come, Assassins Creed Origins, Witcher 3, Final Fantasy XV (singleplayer) to name a few major ones...no character customization and no main character you can choose to be a female. Some may have female character parts, but they are all male dominated and with little to no customization.

Another trend is removing singleplayer games entirely...every single major company is removing singleplayer. The only game to not remove singleplayer, but thats more an indie company than a major company.

The first one is definitely sexist, and seems to be happening coincidentally at the same time where women are campaigning (and winning) for equality (too much a coincidence to actually be a coincidence). These are companies that may "advertise" women equality, but actually behind closed doors believe the opposite. Exactly like companies (for example facebook) who publicly hate an orange haired baboon, but heavily helped the orange baboon win election so privately actually do not hate the baboon. So they say one thing, but actually believe another. 

The second one is far more obvious. They want microtransactions in all games, and instead of games lasting decades (like I still play Ultima 7 and older games)...they want games to last a few years and then when servers are dead you can never play the game again. Its a pure greed decision.

Both things all happened at the same time. Which makes me think there is a secret closed doors agenda that vast majority of companies agreed to...its too much a coincidence (again) that every company is removing singleplayer at the same exact time of every other company. Far too much a coincidence. And whats with every major company suddenly removing playable females and removing customization?
    That was physically painful to read. Everything you just said was an illogical, incoherent, off topic, borderline non-sequitor of a statement to a degree that would make Wizardy blush.
    RorhcLokero[Deleted User]bartoni33NyghthowlerTacticalZombeh
  • jpedrote52jpedrote52 Member UncommonPosts: 112
    edited June 2018

SBFord said:

This information has been know for a long time, at least for those following the game closely, they've been developing the game from the start with 1st I believe 3rd person was also planned at least in 2013 when they announced the game, but since then they decided to remove it.
    Post edited by jpedrote52 on
  • LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    Samhael said:

Limnic said:

Actually, that was one of the things I always thought *hurt* the Deus Ex series.
    Iunno, in my case it seemed pretty logical as well as comfortable. When you have to blend action and RPG mechanics as one has to do for a cyberpunk environment then you have a few extremes to deal with in how much the player skill integrates as a component.

You can take it a hard-rpg direction and make it more like Shadowrun's isometric title with the combat, or you can lean further into Mass Effect territory with. They could do the whole third person over the shoulder thing like that series and I think they'd be fine for it, but at the same time we also don't know yet the decision making process they had for the choice of first person, especially given their previous titles were of the third person variety, they decided to make that change.

Can't say I ever felt the Deus-Ex series "hurt" for being first person, but I personally enjoy first person games and RPGs and am perfectly comfortable in playing from the perspective of "being" the character in most cases.
  • RidrithRidrith Member RarePosts: 808
    Oh man, talk about a gut punch. Was not expecting this to be a first person experience. Far less excited about this game now. I'll end up still playing it as first person isn't a deal breaker, but it's just not the same sort of experience. Very disappointed.
    I like to complain about games.

SBFord said:

This information has been know for a long time, at least for those following the game closely, they've been developing the game from the start with 1st and 3rd person in mind, so to answer your question, yes it will have 3rd person.
    If this is the case, why is that not said in the behind the scenes interview with IGN? Seems it's a selling point, no?
    [Deleted User]

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• jpedrote52jpedrote52 Member UncommonPosts: 112
    edited June 2018

SBFord said:

SBFord said:

This information has been know for a long time, at least for those following the game closely, they've been developing the game from the start with 1st and 3rd person in mind, so to answer your question, yes it will have 3rd person.

If this is the case, why is that not said in the behind the scenes interview with IGN? Seems it's a selling point, no?

Actually what I said it's wrong, just saw a jesse cox tweet, after the closed door reveal and the game is indeed fully 1st person, my bad, but the info of first person has been known since the reveal of the game, guess they changed their mind on third person though.
  • GremeGreme Member UncommonPosts: 66
    edited June 2018

The first thing developer says its "first person perspective roleplaying game".

EDIT: changed video link
    Post edited by Greme on
    SBFordIselin
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167
    edited June 2018
    Kinda like that movie Hardcore Henry, some things should just be done in 3rd person.
    Post edited by Tiller on
    SBFordAeander
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    Cannot play first person games.... so that is out for me /sad.
    SBFordsunflamecheyane

• MidPrincessMidPrincess Member UncommonPosts: 89
    SBFord said:
    No kidding, same here.  I could see it being an option, sure, but forced?  Rather disappointed, too.  As fantastic as Witcher 3 was, and as well as it flowed in 3rd person, you'd think they would stay the course.  I'm scratching my head on this one.  As excited as I was for this - and I was even ready to pre-order, which I NEVER do - now I will have to wait for release and watch videos, etc before touching it.  I just think first-person combat is generally terrible (hello, Skyrim!) and the view is so limited.  Ugh. 
    SBFordAeanderbartoni33Nyghthowler
  • RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Ugh... this could be a game I'd love, if I could keep myself from feeling sick every 15 minutes or so...
    SBFordbartoni33