Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Serious question. Do some of you even like video games?

FrozenyearroundFrozenyearround Member UncommonPosts: 155
So reading through these forums lately and it's hard to determine if this is a pro or anti video game site.  The majority of threads are full of poster complaining about everything from a specific game to what a game is called to calling games and developers "shit" "crap" and other names I don't want to repeat and  get banned over.  

So like the title says do some of you even like video games?

If you are always negative and always find something to complain about do you think it might be time to find a new hobby?

Or am I wrong and it's perfectly ok to have a pro video game site that's is mostly negative towards video games? 
MikehaManWithNoTanFrodoFraginsMrMelGibson

Comments

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Yes, some of us even do like video games.
    KyleranTintagil

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Im pretty sure i still like video games im just so goddam picky lately. Everything I play  just feels stale and been their done that. I feel like the most enjoyment iv been getting out of gaming lately has been from simulators like , Car mechanic simulator , Fishing Planet and then quick games i can hop in and out of like Hearthstone or even the new 40 K game where i can play 1 or 2 missions and logg out after 30 mins.
    MadFrenchieKyleran
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• 13lake13lake Member UncommonPosts: 719
    edited June 2018
    We just have opinions, standards and due to decades long experience are not easily tricked into playing subpar games :)
    We like to measure twice and cut once :)
    There's only so much time we have to spend, why not devote a bit of it to make sure the majority spent gaming is not wasted in any way compared to our tastes, expectations and capabilities ?
    Kylerancraftseeker
  • FrozenyearroundFrozenyearround Member UncommonPosts: 155
    thunderC said:
    Im pretty sure i still like video games im just so goddam picky lately. Everything I play  just feels stale and been their done that. I feel like the most enjoyment iv been getting out of gaming lately has been from simulators like , Car mechanic simulator , Fishing Planet and then quick games i can hop in and out of like Hearthstone or even the new 40 K game where i can play 1 or 2 missions and logg out after 30 mins.
    I can understand this.  For me though it's due to real life i don't have time to "raid" or play for hours straight so I tend to move to quick hitters.  I still enjoy "mmos" but I am now one of those dreaded casuals that destroyed the genre.  
    JeffSpicoliMrMelGibson
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    I like good games . I don't want to waste my time on crap. I am playing Path of Exile which I consider a great game. I am also playing on P99 Everquest another great game.
    Kyleran

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Plenty people like video games here, the problem is a lot of people here do not like MMORPGs. This is an abject fact. Citing the past threads on should MMORPGs have offline play and the other one about PVP balance. Or how about the other one where the dude was literally listing all the features that make an ARPG and how he wanted to play solo, but in an mmorpg.

These people do not want to play MMORPGs, they want to play MOBAs, RPGs, or ARPGs, not MMORPGs yet they keep shitting on the MMORPG genre when games develop a certain way and not the way they want, even though the ways they want are already existing in other genres.

So while they like video games, they do not like mmorpgs.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Sephiroso said:
    Plenty people like video games here, the problem is a lot of people here do not like MMORPGs. This is an abject fact. Citing the past threads on should MMORPGs have offline play and the other one about PVP balance. Or how about the other one where the dude was literally listing all the features that make an ARPG and how he wanted to play solo, but in an mmorpg.

These people do not want to play MMORPGs, they want to play MOBAs, RPGs, or ARPGs, not MMORPGs yet they keep shitting on the MMORPG genre when games develop a certain way and not the way they want, even though the ways they want are already existing in other genres.

So while they like video games, they do not like mmorpgs.
    That may have been a better way to ask the question .  Instead of saying video games maybe I should have said "mmorpgs" .  At the same time though a very hot topic is what is an mmo apparently not everyone agrees on that and some get rather emotional about it.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    I think you are misunderstanding forums in general. I would think most forums hate what they were about as a lot of them are largely negative towards everything. I think almost all of the people on this board like video games. 

There are plenty of posts here that are positive, and plenty of people looking forward to playing things. 

I think in general, forums are used as a method to discuss, and a lot of discussion does involve pros and cons. Because people have very strong opinions on a lot of features or ideas, a lot of threads will be a roller coaster of positivity and negativity. You will see a lot of the same people expressing a lot of the same opinions on everything, but in turn, you will see the same responses. Just because there is a conflict doesn't mean it's inherently negative towards gaming. It just means people have something to say about a game, and others have a retort. What discussion would happen if everyone loved everything. It would be boring. 

But like I said, go on any forum and you will see this. 
    Phaserlight
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    So reading through these forums lately and it's hard to determine if this is a pro or anti video game site.  The majority of threads are full of poster complaining about everything from a specific game to what a game is called to calling games and developers "shit" "crap" and other names I don't want to repeat and  get banned over.  

If you are always negative and always find something to complain about do you think it might be time to find a new hobby?

Or am I wrong and it's perfectly ok to have a pro video game site that's is mostly negative towards video games? 
    nah no one like video games we come here because we have nothing else to do, so we care about things we don't like

its a dumb question you know right?
    KyleranPhaserlightManWithNoTaneddieg50MrMelGibson
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • BluelinerBlueliner Member UncommonPosts: 158
    "So like the title says do some of you even like video games?"  ----Short answer, no. Not the crap that is being released and called video games the past 5-10 years
    MrMelGibson
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    For a lot of people liking or hating a video game isn't 100% black and white.  It's pretty much shades of grey. 

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Welcome back Icedark.
    I should make a list of all these people I apparently am.  Some people really have had an impact on some of you it appears.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    The issue is games evolve and change , a lot of posters here are old or older gamers who started playing during the DAOC EQ era and want games to remain that way just with updated graphics. The world is busy nowadays, pay is cheaper and many work longer hours. Games have evolved to satisfy those sort of players , not the ones spending 8 hours a day on a game. I stopped posting here and reading a lot of the time due the fact there is many posters here that are so jaded they really need to just give up this site as all they post is negativity. But I'm quite sure though that those same ones would be bored out of their minds if they gave up posting here as this is their social interaction..
    ManWithNoTan
  • MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    Of course. RPGs like the Witcher, the first three Mass Effects, Dragon Age, Skyrim, KOTOR 1 and 2, etc. ALL of these games in their time have tested and expanded on new waters. They have been unafraid to try different. People hadn't seen games like them before. That were visually stunning, with the ability to make true choices that mattered in the game and hence make you feel like you had a vested interest in the npc's, the world, and what happened to them. They also very successfully managed to make you feel like you mattered, and that you were a true hero, anti hero, dark hero as the case may be. 

There's a new one called subnautica that I've been quite enjoying. Odd since I'm terrified of water I can't stand up in and I really don't like first person games. But it's won me over. It's quite the beautiful and amazing simulator, and I can't believe I got it for only $20 on steam. I've never seen anything like it before. 

But most don't even bother with the attempt. 

It's not gaming I dislike, it's the "been there done that" lack of effort of games that are obviously only out to make money and don't care about anything else. There is so much that can be done, but game companies don't bother to do it. THAT is what I don't like. 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited June 2018
    cronius77 said:
    The issue is games evolve and change , a lot of posters here are old or older gamers who started playing during the DAOC EQ era and want games to remain that way just with updated graphics. The world is busy nowadays, pay is cheaper and many work longer hours. Games have evolved to satisfy those sort of players , not the ones spending 8 hours a day on a game. I stopped posting here and reading a lot of the time due the fact there is many posters here that are so jaded they really need to just give up this site as all they post is negativity. But I'm quite sure though that those same ones would be bored out of their minds if they gave up posting here as this is their social interaction..
    Well sure I would be bored,  not like l Facebook or visit Pinterest after all.

Being extremely "manly" I am well able to handle all of the "negativity" and you know,  enjoy myself.

Pro tip: when I come across a thread or post I am likely to not care about or enjoy, I stop reading them. Same goes for individual posters but rare is the day I get that annoyed with anyone.

Besides, when I do I can usually figure a way to get them removed from the boards because they hang themselves so easily.

Yeah, I know. I'm a jerk sometimes. 

B)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I used to love video games. Eventually that became merely liking them. Lately I like them less and less. But I am holding out hope for 5 or 6 of them that are still being developed. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    cronius77 said:
    You are entitled to play the games you like. But this is the real world, not cable news, so you will need to learn to cope with the fact that some people might disagree with you. 
    Kyleran

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• RhomsRhoms Member UncommonPosts: 174
    edited June 2018
    When some people like a game, they go all in.  They feel that games they like are great and shouldn't [edit: or can't] be subject to criticism.

I think another group of people love games and want them to be better.  In order to do that, you need to levy a fair bit of criticism.  Sometimes, it's calling out a turd for being a turd.  Other times, it might be looking for ways to polish the turd up a bit.

I fall within this second group, and I'm sure many others do as well.
    TintagilKyleran

Current game: Pillars of Eternity

Played: UO, AC, Eve, Fallen Earth, Aion, GW, GW2 

Tried: WOW, Rift, SWTOR, ESO 

Future: Camelot Unchained?  Crowfall?  Bless?

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    I hate them. I am a masochist though.
    KyleranPhaserlightCryomatrix

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    I love video games. For the most part, I think gaming is the best it's ever been, even if I crave more RPG's with meaningful depth.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Aeander said:
    I love video games. For the most part, I think gaming is the best it's ever been, even if I crave more RPG's with meaningful depth.
    Well apparently legions of gamers agree with you (well, not me of course) or they wouldn't all be spending so much money on them.

But hey, I'm happy living here in this well of discontent I've made for myself, so all good, right?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Kyleran said:
    Aeander said:
    Well apparently legions of gamers agree with you (well, not me of course) or they wouldn't all be spending so much money on them.

But hey, I'm happy living here in this well of discontent I've made for myself, so all good, right?
    It depends on preference. I think we focus so much on the bad that we forget how many great games have come in recent years. 

This generation has given us masterpieces of the RPG genre like The Witcher 3, Persona 5, Nier Automata, Divinity Original Sin, Dark Souls, and Pillars of Eternity. 

The strategy genre is thriving with the revitalization of Fire Emblem and XCOM, among other venerated franchises.

The shooter genre is as healthy and popular as ever.

We have some of the best free to play games ever made - such as Warframe and Path of Exile.

All in all, there is a lot to love about modern gaming, unless you only like MMOs, which seem to be a casualty of the modern age.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Of course we do.  We're also completely spoiled by the vast amount of titles out there these days.

Any little annoyance will turn us off because there's a billion and one other games that could occupy our time.  Steam, and platforms like it, provide literally hundreds of games ready to play within a matter of minutes for most.

The saturation isn't exactly 100% a good thing, though some would have you believe so.  As market share is stretched to the max, devs have to look for more creative ways to pull cash outta your pocket while they actually have your attention.  Voila, microtransactions with things like boosters that actively encourage you to buy them up front, not after you've spent time with the game to figure out if you will even play it in a week or two.

• TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115

I think it's called passion.
    People who don't care have no opinions.

But no, not everyone like the same games and we have all different taste, so some might criticize one game while the other defends it and vice versa.
    This is what Forums are for.
    In Roman times Forums were places where everyone could express their opinions and argue their cases, if you wanted to make love with each other there were other places called Bacchanals.

This is a Forum not a Bacchanal.

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    TEKK3N said:

I think it's called passion.
    People who don't care have no opinions.

But no, not everyone like the same games and we have all different taste, so some might criticize one game while the other defends it and vice versa.
    This is what Forums are for.
    In Roman times Forums were places where everyone could express their opinions and argue their cases, if you wanted to make love with each other there were other places called Bacchanals.

This is a Forum not a Bacchanal.

But it could be one. Time for some Burt Bacharrach in the Bacchanal to make it happen. Now who will the OP be of this lovely place?

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

This discussion has been closed.