Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fallout 76 is indeed an MMORPG, and it sounds pretty great! - MMORPG.com News

Comments

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,414
    Its bascally Conan exiles set in fallout universe. The lack of npc's other than robots is a major game killer for me.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• KraykaKrayka Member UncommonPosts: 28
    Is it an MMO, though? It seems far more like a survival game than an MMO. It is basically Conan Exiles in the Fallout world.....literally, down to the mechanic that allows small groups to decimate large groups via "nuke codes" instead of praying to gods for an avatar.
    It is not an MMO. Who knows where the author of this article came up with that.
    JamesGoblin
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Ok so I'm calling it now. Fallout 76 is a Micro Population Multiplayer Online After the Apocalypse Simulator Environment with Role Playing Game Pretensions. So a M P M O A T A S E W R P G P.

Boom.  You nailed it.  That wasn't so hard, right? :D
    [Deleted User]

• LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    edited June 2018
    The author of that article could have at least waited for the 11th when they clarified a bit of this with an interview, even going so far as noting that full mod support will be delivered to the game post-release as happened with Fallout 4 and Skyrim.
    While they use an always-online component it's not the same design as the likes of ESO, and they plan to extend to the users down the line alongside modding, the ability to host private lobbies/worlds as well.
    So unlike what the article says, Todd does actually state that there will be player-run and player modded worlds and doesn't make any claim to it being an MMO, just a form of survival title.

ScotMadFrenchie
  • CoticCotic Member UncommonPosts: 268
    Should be good regardless, the Fallout series has been great on the whole.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 12,975
    edited June 2018
    Limnic said:
    The author of that article could have at least waited for the 11th when they clarified a bit of this with an interview, even going so far as noting that full mod support will be delivered to the game post-release as happened with Fallout 4 and Skyrim.
    While they use an always-online component it's not the same design as the likes of ESO, and they plan to extend to the users down the line alongside modding, the ability to host private lobbies/worlds as well.
    So unlike what the article says, Todd does actually state that there will be player-run and player modded worlds and doesn't make any claim to it being an MMO, just a form of survival title.

I think we have a lot of wishful thinking among posters, what has been said so far by Bethesda reminds me of the words of President John Henry Eden: We can afford all we need, we cannot afford all we want. 
    Post edited by Scot on

25 Agrees

You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

• VooDoo_PapaVooDoo_Papa Member UncommonPosts: 897
    12 person servers
    4 person teams
     No NPCs
    No quests

Maybe we need to re-term what a classic persistent world with thousands of players is if that's the case
    NeonShadow

• NeonShadowNeonShadow Member UncommonPosts: 326
    If Fallout 76 and other games of its ilk (Ark, Rust, Conan Exiles) is what passes as an MMO these days then I'm sorely out of touch with the genre.
  • PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    I got the impression the set up will be like Conan Exiles, 7 Days to Die, Ark, etc.  How else would you have dedicated servers, dozens (not hundreds) of players, the ability to play by yourself and always online?  Seems to tick all the boxes.  Honestly I would have preferred the Destiny model over this.  Pretty darn bored of the survival build games in this fashion.  They always plateau after a certain point for me and I lose interest.

Now if we were talking a Star Wars Galaxy set up where thousands of players were building settlements over giant vast landscapes, that might be interesting.
  • dreamsfadedreamsfade Member UncommonPosts: 339
    SBFord said:
    imageFallout 76 is indeed an MMORPG, and it sounds pretty great! - MMORPG.com News

During the #BE3 press event, Bethesda's Todd Howard took the stage to show off Fallout 76, the epic new RPG set just a decade after the bombs fell in the wildnerness of a wasted West Virginia. And yes, it's an MMO like ESO!

Read the full story here

Fallout 76 is not an MMO. I would consider it more along the lines of The Division.

• TacticalZombehTacticalZombeh Member UncommonPosts: 361
    Scorchien said:
    DMKano said:
    Not sure why people are so hung on the stupid definition - who  cares? MMO, not mmo, survival - whatever

Will it have fun gameplay - all that matters to me.
    I guess the same reason the Devs are hung up on not labeling it an MMORPG , simply because they realize its not one..

I dont understand why this site continulally pushes this agenda naming everything an MMO , the game will stand on its own merits as a Multiplayer/Coop game , They do not need to continue labeling things incorrectly ,.. The real question here is why is this Site hung up on mislabeling games .. ?

It doesnt make cents , and when something doesnt make cents it makes dollars , there is an agenda here , a very , unnecessary and  transparent agenda .

With the way Bill just 'announced' that it's a mmo, it leads me to two conclusions:

1. He feels the need to continue justifying the name of the site by calling everything with more than two player coop a 'mmo'. I don't know why, they moved away from covering just mmo's a few years ago.

2. Using that label on a game like this always ALWAYS creates a multi-page argument/debate over the definition of what a MMO is. This drives traffic.
    IselinMahlo
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 14,293

2. Using that label on a game like this always ALWAYS creates a multi-page argument/debate over the definition of what a MMO is. This drives traffic.
    And also pre-empts having any kind of useful discussion about what FO76 actually is while making it all about what it isn't.

SovrathMadFrenchieTacticalZombehimmodium
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

"... the "influencers" which is the tech name we call sell outs now..."
    __ Wizardry, 2020
    Iselin said:

And also pre-empts having any kind of useful discussion about what FO76 actually is while making it all about what it isn't.

That's what aggravates me more than throwing the label around; intentionally trolling their own message boards to drive traffic, instead of encouraging actual discussion over the real topic.

What little meaningful discussion manages to make it into the thread is overwhelmed. I see nine pages so far. How many pages would it be if you took out the label discussion... and how much easier would it be to read and take part in that discussion instead of trying to filter?

Vinterkrig
  • VinterkrigVinterkrig Member UncommonPosts: 1,860
    Ahhh click bait title, it has more than 4.. let's call it an MMO, we NEED MMO news :P 
  • VinterkrigVinterkrig Member UncommonPosts: 1,860
    Iselin said:

That's what aggravates me more than throwing the label around; intentionally trolling their own message boards to drive traffic, instead of encouraging actual discussion over the real topic.

What little meaningful discussion manages to make it into the thread is overwhelmed. I see nine pages so far. How many pages would it be if you took out the label discussion... and how much easier would it be to read and take part in that discussion instead of trying to filter?

This is why everyone is on Reddit these days instead
    Iselin said:

Maybe I'm too old, but I avoid Reddit like the plague.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,073
    Scorchien said:
    DMKano said:
    Not sure why people are so hung on the stupid definition - who  cares? MMO, not mmo, survival - whatever

Will it have fun gameplay - all that matters to me.
    I guess the same reason the Devs are hung up on not labeling it an MMORPG , simply because they realize its not one..

I dont understand why this site continulally pushes this agenda naming everything an MMO , the game will stand on its own merits as a Multiplayer/Coop game , They do not need to continue labeling things incorrectly ,.. The real question here is why is this Site hung up on mislabeling games .. ?

It doesnt make cents , and when something doesnt make cents it makes dollars , there is an agenda here , a very , unnecessary and  transparent agenda .

With the way Bill just 'announced' that it's a mmo, it leads me to two conclusions:

1. He feels the need to continue justifying the name of the site by calling everything with more than two player coop a 'mmo'. I don't know why, they moved away from covering just mmo's a few years ago.

Personally I feel like they are completely out of touch and didn't even bother to type in 'what is Fallout 76' into google.

I wish MMORPG.com was more of an authority on MMORPGs but most of the time they don't seem to be able to tell the difference between multiplayer and massively multiplayer. It was pretty obvious when Todd Howard made the distinction by saying dozens not hundreds.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

• FrozenyearroundFrozenyearround Member UncommonPosts: 155
    Krayka said:
    Is it an MMO, though? It seems far more like a survival game than an MMO. It is basically Conan Exiles in the Fallout world.....literally, down to the mechanic that allows small groups to decimate large groups via "nuke codes" instead of praying to gods for an avatar.
    It is not an MMO. Who knows where the author of this article came up with that.
    Its an mmo, it's an mmo, its an mmo it's an mmo it's an mmo it's an mmo it's an mmo it's an mmo it's an mmo it's an mmo it's an mmo it's an mmo it's an mmo.  Enjoy complaining about it for years to come.  
    Iselin said:

Wrong this is Why "everyone" stays away from forums especially reddit.  
  • marganculosmarganculos Member UncommonPosts: 334
    this is nothing like ESO this is not even MMO, can you please stop calling every fucking thing with more than ONE player MMO?!!

since when "dozen of friends" are "OK" for massively multiplayer online ???

you have such low standard these days to label everything MMO, pathetic...

this is nothing like ESO this is not even MMO, can you please stop calling every fucking thing with more than ONE player MMO?!!

since when "dozen of friends" are "OK" for massively multiplayer online ???

you have such low standard these days to label everything MMO, pathetic...

You have such low priorities if you get this worked up over what someone calls a video game.

It's an mmo btw.  
    IselinmarganculosNeonShadow
  • marganculosmarganculos Member UncommonPosts: 334
    edited June 2018
    just check wiki if you don't understand what is MMO, you talking about it like its something totally NEW... but stuffs like that are here for more than 20 years...
    edited June 2018
    Ok @BillMurphy, here's a challenge for you:

mmorpg.com staff cease using mmo as a descriptor, label, whatever.  Just stop.

It doesn't create useful discussion.
    It dilutes useful discussion.
    No one agrees, nor will anyone ever agree on what it actually means, if it ever really meant anything past or present.
    Not only does it create useless dissent, but encourages some posters to intentionally create/fuel dissent.
    It does a disservice to the writer of the article. Writers put their skill and heart into writing on a subject, then have any discussion on their topic thrown out the window by a contentious and useless argument over an oversimplified term.

Extra Achievement:

Stop using it, without fanfare. No announcement, no reasoning. It's not needed. Just stop. The writers are creative enough to describe what the game is, what its player mechanics are, without using a broad, non-specific term.

Hell, I extend that challenge to each writer individually.

Post edited by TacticalZombeh on
    just check wiki if you don't understand what is MMO, you talking about it like its something totally NEW... but stuffs like that are here for more than 20 years...
    Hmm nowhere does wiki state a specific number.  

It does say this:
    "Although modern MMORPGs sometimes differ dramatically from their descendants, many of them share the same basic characteristics. These include several common features: persistent game environment, some form of level progression, social interaction within the game, in-game culture, system architecture, membership in a group, and character customization."

So per Wiki (your suggestion) sounds like it's an mmo.  

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,972
    "Dozens of your friends. Not hundreds or even thousands." ---Todd Howard
    Not an mmorpg in my book. More of a Rust or DayZ type game which is what was reported previous to tonight. Still sounds like a really cool game. Regardless of what it is 'labelled'
    This is the reason I rarely ever come to this site anymore. They lost me when they went full "nariusseldon" and became a part of the problem. I actually got excited for a second when I noticed this thread.
    NeonShadowNilden

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb