Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fallout 76 is indeed an MMORPG, and it sounds pretty great! - MMORPG.com News

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

2. Using that label on a game like this always ALWAYS creates a multi-page argument/debate over the definition of what a MMO is. This drives traffic.
    And also pre-empts having any kind of useful discussion about what FO76 actually is while making it all about what it isn't.

SovrathMadFrenchieTacticalZombehimmodium
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• TacticalZombehTacticalZombeh Member UncommonPosts: 430
    Iselin said:

2. Using that label on a game like this always ALWAYS creates a multi-page argument/debate over the definition of what a MMO is. This drives traffic.
    And also pre-empts having any kind of useful discussion about what FO76 actually is while making it all about what it isn't.

That's what aggravates me more than throwing the label around; intentionally trolling their own message boards to drive traffic, instead of encouraging actual discussion over the real topic.

What little meaningful discussion manages to make it into the thread is overwhelmed. I see nine pages so far. How many pages would it be if you took out the label discussion... and how much easier would it be to read and take part in that discussion instead of trying to filter?

[Deleted User]
    Iselin said:

That's what aggravates me more than throwing the label around; intentionally trolling their own message boards to drive traffic, instead of encouraging actual discussion over the real topic.

What little meaningful discussion manages to make it into the thread is overwhelmed. I see nine pages so far. How many pages would it be if you took out the label discussion... and how much easier would it be to read and take part in that discussion instead of trying to filter?

This is why everyone is on Reddit these days instead

Maybe I'm too old, but I avoid Reddit like the plague.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Scorchien said:
    DMKano said:
    Not sure why people are so hung on the stupid definition - who  cares? MMO, not mmo, survival - whatever

Will it have fun gameplay - all that matters to me.
    I guess the same reason the Devs are hung up on not labeling it an MMORPG , simply because they realize its not one..

I dont understand why this site continulally pushes this agenda naming everything an MMO , the game will stand on its own merits as a Multiplayer/Coop game , They do not need to continue labeling things incorrectly ,.. The real question here is why is this Site hung up on mislabeling games .. ?

It doesnt make cents , and when something doesnt make cents it makes dollars , there is an agenda here , a very , unnecessary and  transparent agenda .

With the way Bill just 'announced' that it's a mmo, it leads me to two conclusions:

1. He feels the need to continue justifying the name of the site by calling everything with more than two player coop a 'mmo'. I don't know why, they moved away from covering just mmo's a few years ago.

Personally I feel like they are completely out of touch and didn't even bother to type in 'what is Fallout 76' into google.

I wish MMORPG.com was more of an authority on MMORPGs but most of the time they don't seem to be able to tell the difference between multiplayer and massively multiplayer. It was pretty obvious when Todd Howard made the distinction by saying dozens not hundreds.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• FrozenyearroundFrozenyearround Member UncommonPosts: 155
    Krayka said:
    Is it an MMO, though? It seems far more like a survival game than an MMO. It is basically Conan Exiles in the Fallout world.....literally, down to the mechanic that allows small groups to decimate large groups via "nuke codes" instead of praying to gods for an avatar.
    It is not an MMO. Who knows where the author of this article came up with that.
    Its an mmo, it's an mmo, its an mmo it's an mmo it's an mmo it's an mmo it's an mmo it's an mmo it's an mmo it's an mmo it's an mmo it's an mmo it's an mmo.  Enjoy complaining about it for years to come.  
    Iselin said:

This is why everyone is on Reddit these days instead
    Wrong this is Why "everyone" stays away from forums especially reddit.  
  • marganculosmarganculos Member UncommonPosts: 334
    this is nothing like ESO this is not even MMO, can you please stop calling every fucking thing with more than ONE player MMO?!!

since when "dozen of friends" are "OK" for massively multiplayer online ???

you have such low standard these days to label everything MMO, pathetic...

this is nothing like ESO this is not even MMO, can you please stop calling every fucking thing with more than ONE player MMO?!!

You have such low priorities if you get this worked up over what someone calls a video game.

It's an mmo btw.  
    IselinmarganculosNeonShadow
  • marganculosmarganculos Member UncommonPosts: 334
    edited June 2018
    just check wiki if you don't understand what is MMO, you talking about it like its something totally NEW... but stuffs like that are here for more than 20 years...
    edited June 2018
    Ok @BillMurphy, here's a challenge for you:

mmorpg.com staff cease using mmo as a descriptor, label, whatever.  Just stop.

It doesn't create useful discussion.
    It dilutes useful discussion.
    No one agrees, nor will anyone ever agree on what it actually means, if it ever really meant anything past or present.
    Not only does it create useless dissent, but encourages some posters to intentionally create/fuel dissent.
    It does a disservice to the writer of the article. Writers put their skill and heart into writing on a subject, then have any discussion on their topic thrown out the window by a contentious and useless argument over an oversimplified term.

Extra Achievement:

Stop using it, without fanfare. No announcement, no reasoning. It's not needed. Just stop. The writers are creative enough to describe what the game is, what its player mechanics are, without using a broad, non-specific term.

Hell, I extend that challenge to each writer individually.

Post edited by TacticalZombeh on
    just check wiki if you don't understand what is MMO, you talking about it like its something totally NEW... but stuffs like that are here for more than 20 years...
    Hmm nowhere does wiki state a specific number.  

It does say this:
    "Although modern MMORPGs sometimes differ dramatically from their descendants, many of them share the same basic characteristics. These include several common features: persistent game environment, some form of level progression, social interaction within the game, in-game culture, system architecture, membership in a group, and character customization."

So per Wiki (your suggestion) sounds like it's an mmo.  

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    "Dozens of your friends. Not hundreds or even thousands." ---Todd Howard
    Not an mmorpg in my book. More of a Rust or DayZ type game which is what was reported previous to tonight. Still sounds like a really cool game. Regardless of what it is 'labelled'
    This is the reason I rarely ever come to this site anymore. They lost me when they went full "nariusseldon" and became a part of the problem. I actually got excited for a second when I noticed this thread.
    NeonShadowNilden

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505

You have such low priorities if you get this worked up over what someone calls a video game.

It's an mmo btw.  
    lol you are just fking troll who never played true MMO then :shrug:
    It's weird how many experts are on this site who have their very own definition that everyone must follow. 

So once you settle down a bit could you please let everyone know what your definition of an mmo is and what games constitute a "True mmo".  Then I can reply to your comment if I have or have not played a "true mmo".

Nice edit but I don't think you are allowed to call others names on this site.  
    It's not just users on this site.  Nilden posted links to multiple other news sites.  My own Google search also confirmed that this is one of the few (if only) gaming news sites to try and label this an MMO.  The rest call it survival RPG or shared world.
    ScorchienNilden

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

It's an mmo btw.  
    It's weird how many experts are on this site who have their very own definition that everyone must follow. 

So once you settle down a bit could you please let everyone know what your definition of an mmo is and what games constitute a "True mmo".  Then I can reply to your comment if I have or have not played a "true mmo".

It's not just users on this site.  Nilden posted links to multiple other news sites.  My own Google search also confirmed that this is one of the few (if only) gaming news sites to try and label this an MMO.  The rest call it survival RPG or shared world.
    And in my book survival RPG or shared world RPG are just as vague and meaningless a term as MMO. Fallout 4 had a survival mode, does that make it a survival game? Does a game with those types of features only become a survival game when you add multiplayer? And shred world, that can define anything from a true MMORPG to a freaking lobby game. I'd say that none of those three terms accurately describe what we know so far about Fallout 76.
    At least there are gameplay features that correspond to very clearly accepted survival features, as well as a pretty accurate description of how the drop-in/drop-out automatic multiplayer matching works.

The term shared world was actually coined to accurately describes such a multiplayer matchmaking system.  When you look at the titles the industry in general attributes to the descriptor (lo and behold, The Division, Destiny, Anthem, and Fallout 76), you see a clear picture of the kind of multiplayer shared world entails.

The usage of MMO here would be more akin to labeling it a sports game and trying to justify it because you play a "blood sport" with other players (also known as PvP).  Sure, you could stretch the case, but it just sounds ridiculous because sports games as a genre have been established for a while now, and PvP is the more appropriate label to put on the feature of players attacking and killing one another.
    Cecropia

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609

It's an mmo btw.  

And in my book survival RPG or shared world RPG are just as vague and meaningless a term as MMO. Fallout 4 had a survival mode, does that make it a survival game? Does a game with those types of features only become a survival game when you add multiplayer? And shred world, that can define anything from a true MMORPG to a freaking lobby game. I'd say that none of those three terms accurately describe what we know so far about Fallout 76.
    At least there are gameplay features that correspond to very clearly accepted survival features, as well as a pretty accurate description of how the drop-in/drop-out automatic multiplayer matching works.

The term shared world was actually coined to accurately describes such a multiplayer matchmaking system.  When you look at the titles the industry in general attributes to the descriptor (lo and behold, The Division, Destiny, Anthem, and Fallout 76), you see a clear picture of the kind of multiplayer shared world entails.

The usage of MMO here would be more akin to labeling it a sports game and trying to justify it because you play a "blood sport" with other players (also known as PvP).  Sure, you could stretch the case, but it just sounds ridiculous because sports games as a genre have been established for a while now, and PvP is the more appropriate label to put on the feature of players attacking and killing one another.
    The whole concept of FO76 sounds vaguely e-sportish, though.

I've always thought the whole survival game craze started with Fallout 3, or at least was partially inspired by it.  FO76 seems to bring the thing to a complete circle.  Inspiration to implementation.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

It's an mmo btw.  

Still to me none of these terms accurately describe Fallout 76. so I'm sticking with Micro Population Multiplayer Online After the Apocalypse Simulator Environment with Role Playing Game Pretensions. M P M O A T A S E W R P G P for short.
    I want an RPG games list with all those descriptors.  One with button-filters at the top corresponding to each letter, so one can find games with any combination of those descriptors possible. :D
    [Deleted User]

• LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    Hmm nowhere does wiki state a specific number.  

It does say this:
    "Although modern MMORPGs sometimes differ dramatically from their descendants, many of them share the same basic characteristics. These include several common features: persistent game environment, some form of level progression, social interaction within the game, in-game culture, system architecture, membership in a group, and character customization."

So per Wiki (your suggestion) sounds like it's an mmo.  

If you go by that list of features, pen and paper D&D is an MMO.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041

Still to me none of these terms accurately describe Fallout 76. so I'm sticking with Micro Population Multiplayer Online After the Apocalypse Simulator Environment with Role Playing Game Pretensions. M P M O A T A S E W R P G P for short.
    I want an RPG games list with all those descriptors.  One with button-filters at the top corresponding to each letter, so one can find games with any combination of those descriptors possible. :D
    It does sound a lot like Fallen Earth with its current population...

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    MadFrenchie
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

Mendel said:

It's an mmo btw.  

The whole concept of FO76 sounds vaguely e-sportish, though.

I've always thought the whole survival game craze started with Fallout 3, or at least was partially inspired by it.  FO76 seems to bring the thing to a complete circle.  Inspiration to implementation.

While there was some tinkering before, Wurm Online and later Minecraft is generally considered the progenitor/popularizer of the survival genre.

The genre drifted into e-sports a bit with the increase in video streaming and implementation of more royale-style mechanics over time until battle royale became a genre of it's own.

Survival mode as a full feature for Beth games spawned partially because the popularity within the community of modding in survival features to Fallout 3 and Oblivion. Neither of those games had a dedicated survival mode or mechanics. They were added in subsequent titles, showing up in New Vegas and then FO4.

FO76 is trying to evade being e-sports-ish a bit, with Todd even mentioning they are still fiddling with possible features, including an opt-out of PvP. Hence the "survival-lite" branding he's used with it. While it is a survival game, it's definitely being viewed from how to make the least impact they can on the individual user pursuing their own game experience so long as that does not involve "griefing". The PvP and competitive component as a result is going to be a bit more controlled and curbed compared to many current survival games it sounds like.

Some of that was mentioned in the video I linked prior.
  • RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    I am more of a elders scrolls fan but multiplayer fallout, take my money;)
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    edited June 2018
    Disappointed they went the grief fest route. I think I'll be passing on Fallout 76...

Disappointed they went the grief fest route. I think I'll be passing on Fallout 76...

Messed up the quote- BCBully
    hate ted to break it to you, but devs no longer care about you 19 Pve only types.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    edited June 2018
    Those were post-apoc RPGs, not survival games.

A simple distinction is that your character can't starve to death in the Wasteland series and the original Fallout titles. Their "needs" on a survival level were not a thing.

Unless you're reducing survival to "you can die", they don't really fall into the same genre. They are certainly the progenitors of the post-apoc settings we are most familiar with though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

edited June 2018
    Limnic said:
    Those were post-apoc RPGs, not survival games.

A simple distinction is that your character can't starve to death in the Wasteland series and the original Fallout titles. Their "needs" on a survival level were not a thing.

Unless you're reducing survival to "you can die", they don't really fall into the same genre. They are certainly the progenitors of the post-apoc settings we are most familiar with though.
    Mods
    Mods are third party. If you include them then there is a wide variety of mod-based survival games that have not been listed beyond that of Wasteland and Fallout, extending back into many early roguelikes.

As far as features of release titles goes, I would cycle back to restate my previous points.

The original Wasteland and Fallout titles are also not particularly heavily modded games, with only a few notable mods over the years and most of them hard to find. I'm not certain survival mods were ever made for them.