Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Early Access Review – Is the 3rd Time the Charm? - Bless Review - MMORPG.com

Comments

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    why pay for a game that it's still in beta? if not in aplha...
    Still better than buying ship pixels or paying a sub to access an MMO forum for a MMO that won't launch for a few more years.  I'd say there are far worse things one can spend money on than an mmo that's in beta.
    maskedweasel
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Scot said:
    Kyleran said:
    I dunno, but lots of people do these days, and some even enjoy playing them, something to do with having "fun" I'm told.

Weird.  ;)
    From what we get told on this site, the "fun" of playing many games in EA is rather short lived.
    That's subjective. 
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    MrG8 said:
    Well seriously you can give a con on a EA review like the one "Lots of balance & bug issues" .. eh? Yes its Early Access, they will fix it.
    That applies to all released games, not just early access, the game will eventually get updates and improve.

But there's only so much of upcoming future development that the reviewer can take into account. At some point they must tell people how the game plays right now, and if you were planning to play Bless right now the bugs and especially the horrible balance would be a con.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178
    Still better than buying ship pixels or paying a sub to access an MMO forum for a MMO that won't launch for a few more years.  I'd say there are far worse things one can spend money on than an mmo that's in beta.
    Way too many people buy into early access without really knowing what early access is.  It's like people don't read before they buy. 

I feel like early access has spoiled developers in a way though, if they are already getting revenue for an unfinished game, they may have less incentive to finish it.
    MrMelGibson

• AnnaTSAnnaTS Member UncommonPosts: 600
    edited June 2018
    I haven't reached end game yet but i came across this, I don't know who the streamer is, But i think it's one of emissaries, Someone posted it on Reddit, Is this loot from the last dungeon ?

https://clips.twitch.tv/CautiousAmericanBananaDendiFace
  • simmihisimmihi Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Way too many people buy into early access without really knowing what early access is.  It's like people don't read before they buy. 

I feel like early access has spoiled developers in a way though, if they are already getting revenue for an unfinished game, they may have less incentive to finish it.

If you can charge for the box and you can also implement a sub and a cash shop, everything will just launch in Early Access. I mean, why not? Bugs? Early Access. Performance issues? Early Access. Hacks, cheats, dupes etc? Early Access. No endgame, no class balance? Early Access. An Early Access that never ends, as the bulk of the money is at launch, and when people start leaving, what's the incentive to actually finish the job? Paying for games like these is encouraging these practices.

maskedweasel
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Rhoklaw said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    Well, I can tell you right now, the massive nerf to player damage cross the board they did was great and all, but it truly screws over people trying to do solo missions, such as to kill Kelandra, which as a max level guardian, I can not. So, when you have decent gear, 5500+ gear score and can not complete a solo story mission, which it's been that way for 10 days now, I think it's safe to say Neowiz is in over their heads. Probably why they've already failed two other launches.
    Took me a dozen tries to kill Kelandra on my mage.  It was awful.  But don't worry Paladins can do it undergeared. 
    Which is precisely why I immediately logged of my max level guardian and logged in to my level 16 paladin. Obviously best to just play the OP class until the game gets fixed.
    Or you could play one of many other MMORPGs that aren't so horridly unbalanced.  Or maybe a singleplayer RPG, or a small-group multiplayer game.

Really, just any game that's actually finished and isn't a complete fucking mess.
    maskedweasel

• SiniestrohSiniestroh Member UncommonPosts: 36
    @Kyleran, no one is right or wrong its just a matter of taste or preference. Apparently some people cant understand that...
  • SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020

That isn't entirely on the people's fault for not really knowing what early access is. The wording used was chosen purposefully to give the impression that you're able to play the game early, like a headstart you get from preordering a game or something.

If early access was appropriately named paid alpha or paid beta, a lot less people would fall for the trap. There'd still be a lot that do, but there'd be less though.
    maskedweasel

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Don't buy games in early access is best advice that everyone should follow.
    Scot

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited June 2018
    @Kyleran, no one is right or wrong its just a matter of taste or preference. Apparently some people cant understand that...
    Actually....your enjoyment of a game is mostly irrelevant to others,  unless you qualify it with details on why you did. 

The reviewer provided solid reasons for why he gave the score he did.

It is not necessary to play every game to form an opinion about it, especially when there is a decent amount of info and even facts about it.

Slagging on a game for such things as limited content,  poor optimisation,  class unbalance, lack of proper testing of code changes are all quantifiable to a large degree. 

You may still be able to enjoy the game despite the above, but it does make the reviewer's opinion more credible.

People often say its all a matter of opinion....

But they are wrong.   ;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

kitarad said:
    I wouldn't say the BEST advice, but it's good advice, sure.  I think in some cases, you can find a developer that does early access games "right" in that they actually listen to their community and fix things along the way.  

Then you have companies like Larian that put out early access for DOS2 and, well, even when they first released DOS2 it was in a fantastic state considering you only had one chapter to go through.  

It's interesting though, there was no "end game" to D:OS2 either, but people didn't dive bomb it. 

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Good to see an honest review on this site for once. It does the industry and the fans little good to up-sell mediocrity.
  • ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,269
    I'm enjoying the game... then again, I'm not rushing through the content.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    I'm enjoying the game... then again, I'm not rushing through the content.
    What content?
    [Deleted User]
    kitarad said:
    I wouldn't say the BEST advice, but it's good advice, sure.  I think in some cases, you can find a developer that does early access games "right" in that they actually listen to their community and fix things along the way.  

Then you have companies like Larian that put out early access for DOS2 and, well, even when they first released DOS2 it was in a fantastic state considering you only had one chapter to go through.  

It's interesting though, there was no "end game" to D:OS2 either, but people didn't dive bomb it. 
    C'mon weasel, D:OS2 was a story-based choice-driven singleplayer/coop RPG.  Not sure why you would even make that last comment.

I'm not sure why so many insist on continuing to make excuses here.  It's baffling.  We don't owe these devs or the publisher anything.  Specifically not good will for the sake of good will.  It's a business, and judging by the state of the port, their business is grabbing as easy money as possible from us.

Give it a rest, folks.  They ported a fundamentally flawed game to the west and it shows.  There's no reason to treat them with kid gloves.  There's certainly no reason to try and equate Bless with a game like D:OS2.
    Kylerankitarad

kitarad said:

C'mon weasel, D:OS2 was a story-based choice-driven singleplayer/coop RPG.  Not sure why you would even make that last comment.

I'm not sure why so many insist on continuing to make excuses here.  It's baffling.  We don't owe these devs or the publisher anything.  Specifically not good will for the sake of good will.  It's a business, and judging by the state of the port, their business is grabbing as easy money as possible from us.

Give it a rest, folks.  They ported a fundamentally flawed game to the west and it shows.  There's no reason to treat them with kid gloves.  There's certainly no reason to try and equate Bless with a game like D:OS2.
    I wasn't equating it to bless, I was just saying that D:OS2 was an early access game, and it was a good buy. 

So I wouldn't say staying away from EVERY early access game is good advice everyone should follow. There are situations where early access games are great opportunities, like when I bought EA D:OS2 it was discounted. 

I do think there are excuses for bless being the way it is though, most of those excuses deal with poor management on Neowiz's end,  but who knows, maybe by august, when the launch review hits, we'll all revisit this and be surprised at the progress they made?  

It could happen.
    MadFrenchieMrMelGibson

kitarad said:

I wasn't equating it to bless, I was just saying that D:OS2 was an early access game, and it was a good buy. 

So I wouldn't say staying away from EVERY early access game is good advice everyone should follow. There are situations where early access games are great opportunities, like when I bought EA D:OS2 it was discounted. 

I do think there are excuses for bless being the way it is though, most of those excuses deal with poor management on Neowiz's end,  but who knows, maybe by august, when the launch review hits, we'll all revisit this and be surprised at the progress they made?  

It could happen.
    My comments largelt came from yours saying that D:OS2 wasn't faulted for no end-game when they were completely different genres.

That's not a fair comparison to make for Larian.  They weren't creating (or, I should say, merely porting) an MMORPG.  They created incredibly gameplay value for the money; Bless has not.

Bless won't be any kind of contender for game of the year, that's clear.  That alone makes any comparison to D:OS2 seem like excuse-making for Neowiz.
    maskedweaselMrMelGibsonPhry

kitarad said:

It could happen.
    My comments largelt came from yours saying that D:OS2 wasn't faulted for no end-game when they were completely different genres.

That's not a fair comparison to make for Larian.  They weren't creating (or, I should say, merely porting) an MMORPG.  They created incredibly gameplay value for the money; Bless has not.

Bless won't be any kind of contender for game of the year, that's clear.  That alone makes any comparison to D:OS2 seem like excuse-making for Neowiz.
    That's fair, in that sense I guess I did make a comparison of sorts.  Still though, I do think people have been a lot more critical on Bless's EA then others.  I can't really pinpoint it either, we get a lot of EA game reviews on MMO, but Bless exploded. 

I know some will point to the other releases and say it's launched in other regions and so this isn't a real early access.....  but I don't know how true that is either.  I don't buy that, because we've had other games come over from other regions, and even with very minimal changes due to localization, they still had some launch issues. 

It's just interesting is all. 
    MadFrenchieLeiloni

kitarad said:

It could happen.

That's fair, in that sense I guess I did make a comparison of sorts.  Still though, I do think people have been a lot more critical on Bless's EA then others.  I can't really pinpoint it either, we get a lot of EA game reviews on MMO, but Bless exploded. 

I know some will point to the other releases and say it's launched in other regions and so this isn't a real early access.....  but I don't know how true that is either.  I don't buy that, because we've had other games come over from other regions, and even with very minimal changes due to localization, they still had some launch issues. 

It's just interesting is all. 
    True enough, Bless has been getting a lot of attention, I wonder if it's because we're in a lull of sorts.  Other than E3, there hasn't been a whole lotta news to distract us.

Another theory might be simple port fatigue.  Or perhaps the emissary system set them up for a big fall.

For my concern, it's the trend that's being set.  Valve going more hands off, then right at the same time we get a fundamentally flawed and incomplete port in the "Early Access" condition Steam has made infamous.

Continuing to shirk QA will not bode well for the industry long-term.
    maskedweaselMrMelGibson

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Bless Online has had the misfortune of appearing at a time when there has been a dearth of new games like it in that genre I mean. So it has been subjected and looked at through a harsh microscope as a result.

• durkdrevendurkdreven Member UncommonPosts: 23
    Im not touching this with a ten inch charcoal stick untill they announce FULL area performance patches and proper content than this garbage they've been showing...which probably wont ever happen with this relatively small dev team.

Life is meaningless. It is in death that we are truly tested

• durkdrevendurkdreven Member UncommonPosts: 23

AnnaTS said:

Leiloni said:

Why is this the only Early Access game that gets a review? That's a bit unfair. The devs have been clear for months that game was unfinished and would need a lot of work before being ready for official release. How about letting them go through that development process before reviewing it like you do for every other game?

I'm very disappointed in you MMORPG for doing this and Bill for letting it happen. I used to respect you guys for writing about a wide variety of games with a wide variety of opinions, but this is just jumping on the hate train for a game that is like any other at this stage of development.

I think it's fair that people do reviews on the game, People have to pay to play the game, So reviews help people decide whether to spend their money or not, Even though you can get a refund after 2 hours on  Steam, That 2 hours isn't enough to know whether the game is worth buying right now, Seeing as you won't get to play most of the game in that 2 hours.

The 2hr refund policy on Steam is a joke...especially for mmos. You barely get to see the starting areas and not even talking about time spent in the character creator. Valve should stop making this system so ...binary...and change it for types of games.

Life is meaningless. It is in death that we are truly tested

• shinozuka75shinozuka75 Member CommonPosts: 1

Look at all the game breaking bugs.

Oh my.

Lke speedhacks, flying in game. There is not supposed to be player trading. But people unlocked that also. Using the ini files on the client side.

The game is just .. well.. even in EA stage , not ready. I mean if you can cheat by editing ini files.
  • ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,269
    I feel like I'm the only person who doesn't have a beef with this game.